Coronavirus

Reacher

6 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

just had to shut down my team for 2 weeks. A kid came to practice with a pending test and 2 days later got a positive result. Who brings their kid to any function with a pending test? This is not March, we know how this all works by now. 

I'm not sure what to call that. Ignorance? Selfishness? Naivety?  Probably all of the above and I can think of a lot more colorful adjectives. 

Sometimes I think we need to learn how to save ourselves from ourselves before we begin to save ourselves from this virus. 

Did not realize you were a coach.  What sport?

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Was standing in line to vote today and some guy behind me was telling his friend "at the end of the week, we won't have to wear masks any longer."

A lot of the things around the virus are political.  But, the virus itself is real and we should change our behavior until a vaccine is available.

Went and voted too today.  Was surprised, while I was there every single person was wearing a face covering.  Did not expect that.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

We now have 20 positives in our church

Church and gatherings are keeping this going. We have done virtual church since March

Very concerned that extended family gatherings for Thanksgiving will cause a major spike.  My extended family is having one, but my wife, kids, and I will not be attending.

Just now, 5fouls said:

Very concerned that extended family gatherings for Thanksgiving will cause a major spike.  My extended family is having one, but my wife, kids, and I will not be attending.

We officially cancelled last night. Just us 5 and my 2 oldest kids boyfriend and girlfriend but her family are some that tested positive from our church. Looks.lije it will just be the 3 of us 

Being a kid with a divorced mom and dad I dont do Holidays anymore. 4 Thanksgivings and 4 Christmases growing up made me jaded. 

So me and my wife cook a feast for us and her first client Kay and her husband.  Unfortunately probably not going to their house this year. 

Still cooking a feast though. I will eat Turkey for a week. 

• Like 3

When I was a kid and a younger adult, I loved Thanksgiving.  Both my mom and dad were from large families.  My mom's family always got together on the Holidays.  I would play hours of cards and watch football with more cousins, uncles, and aunts than you could count.  The food/meal has never been the 'best' thing about Thanksgiving for me.  It was always the coming together of family.

Now that a lot of the older generation has passed and many of the younger generation has spread out, it's just not the same anymore.  Would much prefer to just be home with the wife and kids, which is what we are doing this year.  A couple of years ago, we did Disney over Thanksgiving and that was very nice as well. 

• Like 3

My wife just told her folks that we will not be going to MD for Thanksgiving. It’s just not a good look. 

I’ve been watching the cases rise in Midwest and Upper Midwest and am really worried. A large portion of my family in IN are of the “this will all be gone after Nov 3rd” variety and I’ve just stopped talking to them. I can’t deal with their willful ignorance. People know better, they just let politics get the better of them. This virus does not care who is president. 

We couldn’t be in a worse situation heading into late fall and winter. We, along with the rest of Europe, should have got a handle on this in the summer, when it would have been much easier for people to handle. Not liking how things are trending and I don’t have lot of faith that enough people know how to follow simple directions.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

When I was a kid and a younger adult, I loved Thanksgiving.  Both my mom and dad were from large families.  My mom's family always got together on the Holidays.  I would play hours of cards and watch football with more cousins, uncles, and aunts than you could count.  The food/meal has never been the 'best' thing about Thanksgiving for me.  It was always the coming together of family.

Now that a lot of the older generation has passed and many of the younger generation has spread out, it's just not the same anymore.  Would much prefer to just be home with the wife and kids, which is what we are doing this year.  A couple of years ago, we did Disney over Thanksgiving and that was very nice as well. 

My dad's family use to get together for Thanksgiving at our house and we would have 35-40 people.  He was one of eight kids so I had a lot of aunt and uncle's plus cousins.  Once more and more of the family died we just started having our immediate family.  We still have around 15-20 with me and my two kids and their significant other. My brother has two kids and 3 grand kids and mom and dad.

My mom's family got together for Christmas and she is the youngest of mine so it was a huge family.  For my grandma 80th birthday in 1982 we had 85 people there and all were family.  Now it is just our immediate family on that side as well because my grandma and all of my aunt and uncle's on that side has died.

14 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Same.  I loved that time around the holidays with family.  Now that we have adult children its usually just the 7 of us and my father in law. Hopefully we can still do that but I think it will just be the 3 of us.

Every year we want to do Christmas in NYC. Maybe one of these days 

14 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

My wife just told her folks that we will not be going to MD for Thanksgiving. It’s just not a good look. 

I’ve been watching the cases rise in Midwest and Upper Midwest and am really worried. A large portion of my family in IN are of the “this will all be gone after Nov 3rd” variety and I’ve just stopped talking to them. I can’t deal with their willful ignorance. People know better, they just let politics get the better of them. This virus does not care who is president. 

We couldn’t be in a worse situation heading into late fall and winter. We, along with the rest of Europe, should have got a handle on this in the summer, when it would have been much easier for people to handle. Not liking how things are trending and I don’t have lot of faith that enough people know how to follow simple directions.

To me it's a no brainer for people to cancel or postpone holiday get togethers. We typically have a big one for 3-4 days with family coming in from CA, Washington, NY, Florida, and Illinois here to Indy. Thanksgiving day, Friday full of shopping and fun, Christmas ceremonies downtown Indy.... bucket game on Saturday....

No way in the world we are getting together this year. I'm amazed when people say well just small number of people getting together. That's exact problem in my opinion. But what do I expect. Americans for the most part only interested in what serves themselves. Not anyone else.

• Like 1

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

Sorry for your loss 

Thank you my friend. 

So far this year we have lost my wife's sister who was down syndrome but lived into her fifties, my brother's live in companion who passed away in her sleep while he was in the hospital, my high school track and cross country coach. a close builder friend of mine, my brother a couple of weeks, my brother in law and Eric. 2020 sucks big time!

10 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Thank you my friend. 

So far this year we have lost my wife's sister who was down syndrome but lived into her fifties, my brother's live in companion who passed away in her sleep while he was in the hospital, my high school track and cross country coach. a close builder friend of mine, my brother a couple of weeks, my brother in law and Eric. 2020 sucks big time!

I will keep you covered in prayer. Sorry for all of your.losses this year

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jefftheref said:

Just lost a good friend yesterday from Covid. She posted on Facebook about a week ago that she had a sinus infection and she passed away right after going to the hospital. R.I.P. Lori Harmon Bundy. You will be missed!

Dang, I’m so sorry, Jeff. 

8 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

To me it's a no brainer for people to cancel or postpone holiday get togethers. We typically have a big one for 3-4 days with family coming in from CA, Washington, NY, Florida, and Illinois here to Indy. Thanksgiving day, Friday full of shopping and fun, Christmas ceremonies downtown Indy.... bucket game on Saturday....

No way in the world we are getting together this year. I'm amazed when people say well just small number of people getting together. That's exact problem in my opinion. But what do I expect. Americans for the most part only interested in what serves themselves. Not anyone else.

That’s the problem. We would most likely be fine getting together with my in-laws, but if everyone thought that way then there are a TON of gatherings that lead to more infections. I’d rather just sacrifice now to keep the spread a bit lower. I LOVE Christmas with my in-laws, which is steeped in tradition for us, but I’m just not seeing it as a smart thing to do. We’ve made all of these sacrifices up to now, why mess it up. 

But yes, too many of us only care about ourselves. Not happy with the huge increase of tourists in NYC w/o masks. And probably half of these are from overseas, but still. We’ve worked damn hard here in NYC to get where we are and sacrificed way too much for Italian and American tourists to come here and be cavalier about masks. Today I went in to Manhattan to take my wife to the doctor and was not happy to see so many tourists taking pictures of places boarding up for post-election issues. It was like a party for them. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

I just got over the coronavirus.  It sucks.

Paulie, I hope your recovery is easy and full. One of our friends was one of the first cases here in Brooklyn (she’s a doctor at a hospital in Long Island). She recovered pretty quickly, but we were really worried b/c we knew so little about it then. My wife talked to her earlier this week and she’s been really struggling with neurological issues since getting COVID. At this point, she sometimes has trouble walking properly and is not back to a full work week. 

• Like 2

On 11/4/2020 at 4:33 PM, Lostin76 said:

That’s the problem. We would most likely be fine getting together with my in-laws, but if everyone thought that way then there are a TON of gatherings that lead to more infections. I’d rather just sacrifice now to keep the spread a bit lower. I LOVE Christmas with my in-laws, which is steeped in tradition for us, but I’m just not seeing it as a smart thing to do. We’ve made all of these sacrifices up to now, why mess it up. 

But yes, too many of us only care about ourselves. Not happy with the huge increase of tourists in NYC w/o masks. And probably half of these are from overseas, but still. We’ve worked damn hard here in NYC to get where we are and sacrificed way too much for Italian and American tourists to come here and be cavalier about masks. Today I went in to Manhattan to take my wife to the doctor and was not happy to see so many tourists taking pictures of places boarding up for post-election issues. It was like a party for them. 

Yeah. Was just in the grocery store and this idiot in line ahead of me was maskless. The clerk asked him if he was scared of getting Covid - kind of an indirect way of saying what’s your problem. He had a flip response bout being shot at in Nam. Way to consider others. 
My mother made the decision not to travel out here from IN for Thanksgiving. Wish she could make it but it’s the right decision 

• Like 1