Coronavirus

Reacher

13 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yeah. Was just in the grocery store and this idiot in line ahead of me was maskless. The clerk asked him if he was scared of getting Covid - kind of an indirect way of saying what’s your problem. He had a flip response bout being shot at in Nam. Way to consider others. 
My mother made the decision not to travel out here from IN for Thanksgiving. Wish she could make it but it’s the right decision 

I hate stupid people. 

The guy in the store, not your mother. 😁

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yeah. Was just in the grocery store and this idiot in line ahead of me was maskless. The clerk asked him if he was scared of getting Covid - kind of an indirect way of saying what’s your problem. He had a flip response bout being shot at in Nam. Way to consider others. 
My mother made the decision not to travel out here from IN for Thanksgiving. Wish she could make it but it’s the right decision 

I'm going to be honest with you, I've been in quite a few groceries, department stores, and restaurants in north Houston, up through Humble, The Woodlands, Conroe, Kingwood, and even in the backwater place I live, and I've yet to see anyone who's not complying with wearing a mask.

You rebel Houstonians are the issue 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I'm going to be honest with you, I've been in quite a few groceries, department stores, and restaurants in north Houston, up through Humble, The Woodlands, Conroe, Kingwood, and even in the backwater place I live, and I've yet to see anyone who's not complying with wearing a mask.

You rebel Houstonians are the issue 😁

Ha, I agree 

13 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

To be honest, there are days when I wish an asteroid the size of Australia would plow into the Pacific and end it all. 

Fun facts about asteroids. 

- Jupiter blocks most asteroids that would hit Earth. The gravitational pull projects them out toward the sun. 

- If a an asteroid of any significance was heading towards Earth we'd be able to detect it years in advance. Many scientists believe that with today's technology we could change an asteroid's path. You don't blow it up like in Armageddon, because the debris would cause just as much damage. Rather, we'd nudge the asteroid with rockets or some type of explosion. The further out the asteroid (or the earlier we catch it, the less we'd have to nudge it to alter its course. 

I hate to break it to you @mrflynn03, but you'll have to think of another apocalyptic scenario. 😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

I’ll have some of what Australia is having....mostly because when you get a handle on it, you don’t have to worry about shutting down the economy.

https://thehill.com/policy/international/523942-australia-reports-no-new-covid-19-cases-for-first-time-in-five-months?fbclid=IwAR0lpWzCj7ptEMe6-iMqPvbdWtIR7ND2U5Ow2z9dSioeWvHrnNCROAW6Okc

According to the article Melbourne (the epicenter) had already locked down for 3 1/2 months...

And I don't see any testing statistics in there...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

According to the article Melbourne (the epicenter) had already locked down for 3 1/2 months...

And I don't see any testing statistics in there...

Here is more info: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/australia-coronavirus-cases-melbourne-lockdown/2020/11/05/96c198b2-1cb7-11eb-ad53-4c1fda49907d_story.html

It's a strategy. And one that worked. Yes Melbourne did shut down, but NYC also shut down for a similar period of time and we have nothing to show for it as a country. Sacrifices were made and the economy suffered, but again so has ours. The difference is that we have 100k cases a day and they have none. (or close to none). They are going to restaurants, rugby matches and are being encouraged to go back to work. We are in a holding pattern and children across the state are going back to virtual learning. 

Am I recommend we do this exact thing? Not necessarily, but we should learn from it. As I've said numerous times in this thread we need to learn from the strategies of countries who have this, for the most part, under control. Our strategy has been a mix denying it's severity, playing whack-a-mole with cases rather than consistently practicing prevention, poor communication, lack of a cohesive plan (every state is doing their own thing), blaming testing, conspiracy theories, skepticism, not contact tracing, etc. 

There are blueprints for success...we need to use them. Because, this (or whatever we're doing), is not success. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

130,000 cases, 1200 deaths so far today. And due to the election, nobody seems to care. 

The 7 day average is over 100,000 per day. Up about 20,000 per day from last Friday. With Halloween and the election in the last week having some extra people out and about, I don't see it slowing down any time soon.

My school is pretty much the only one around me that is still in person, but I don’t think that will last much longer. Positives are all around us, including at our school, and it is only a matter of time before we have too many. The early elementary school in my district already closed from having at least 3 or 4 staff members test positive out of like 15 or 20 people working there.

11 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Between Halloween last weekend, the election on Tuesday, and gatherings after the election, this next week could be rough.

Not to mention a weekend of football and near 80 degree temps. Can't speak for elsewhere but my entire area in North Indy was having cookouts at "small gatherings" yesterday, today.....couple that with many colleges will be shutting down in coming weeks and tens of thousands of students will be bring their campus to their parents living rooms....could be very, very bumpy 30 days. 

Admittedly I've gone out more over last 30 days. Knock on wood still free of the V but I'm going back into lockdown mode. These numbers and what I'm seeing is just a bit risky to me. 

On 11/6/2020 at 9:03 PM, Leathernecks said:

The 7 day average is over 100,000 per day. Up about 20,000 per day from last Friday. With Halloween and the election in the last week having some extra people out and about, I don't see it slowing down any time soon.

My school is pretty much the only one around me that is still in person, but I don’t think that will last much longer. Positives are all around us, including at our school, and it is only a matter of time before we have too many. The early elementary school in my district already closed from having at least 3 or 4 staff members test positive out of like 15 or 20 people working there.

I'm in PA and our kids have been back to school in person since late August. There have been cases at all level, though mostly at the Middle School and High Schools, but something that they've found through contact tracing is that the cases are not originating in the schools and there is very little, if no, spreading within the schools. 

More credence that masks do indeed work, as our schools mask policy is pretty strict. 

• Like 1