Coronavirus

Reacher

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm in PA and our kids have been back to school in person since late August. There have been cases at all level, though mostly at the Middle School and High Schools, but something that they've found through contact tracing is that the cases are not originating in the schools and there is very little, if no, spreading within the schools. 

More credence that masks do indeed work, as our schools mask policy is pretty strict. 

Same here.  Even when a couple of our sports teams had cases this fall, it was kids  on those teams that attended an event unrelated to school that contracted the virus.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm in PA and our kids have been back to school in person since late August. There have been cases at all level, though mostly at the Middle School and High Schools, but something that they've found through contact tracing is that the cases are not originating in the schools and there is very little, if no, spreading within the schools. 

More credence that masks do indeed work, as our schools mask policy is pretty strict. 

The school I work at is pretty similar.  We do a good job of making sure kids are wearing masks.  Through contact tracing we've been able to find a couple kids who ended up testing positive before they could be around a lot of people at school.  We did have the elementary school in our district have a handful of staff members test positive that I would assume could be traced back to the school.  It was 4 or 5 out of about 15 staff members.

• Like 1

So, we had a virtual Q&A with Dr. Fauci earlier today and he talked about the vaccine first, which wasn’t really on the agenda. He looks so happy about this. Even said like @tdhoosier that he had been hoping for 70% as a good mark. The CEO of Pfizer had called him last night to tell him the news. 

He did stress that this was another tool in the fight, but doesn’t mean we can celebrate and go back to mask-less parties all the time. Still need to wear masks, avoid indoor crowds, wash hands, etc. until enough people receive the vaccine - likely late Spring/early Summer of 2021, 

It’s pretty damn good news though. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

So, we had a virtual Q&A with Dr. Fauci earlier today and he talked about the vaccine first, which wasn’t really on the agenda. He looks so happy about this. Even said like @tdhoosier that he had been hoping for 70% as a good mark. The CEO of Pfizer had called him last night to tell him the news. 

He did stress that this was another tool in the fight, but doesn’t mean we can celebrate and go back to mask-less parties all the time. Still need to wear masks, avoid indoor crowds, wash hands, etc. until enough people receive the vaccine - likely late Spring/early Summer of 2021, 

It’s pretty damn good news though. 

Look at you fancy pants. Zoomin’ with Fauci.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Look at you fancy pants. Zoomin’ with Fauci.

Ha, no nothing fancy. Was the entire school of medicine staff and faculty on automatic mute. 

But, it still felt kind of personal. He started by talking about being a five foot seven starting guard on his Brooklyn HS team. His specialty was a “deadly set shot, which I know kind of dates me.” 

• Like 2

I know a lot of people are excited about the early vaccine results (with good reason), but there are still a lot of questions to answer before it will be available.

There are only 94 people in the trial who tested positive, so it is a really small amount of people.  It could end up being 90% effective, or it could end up being way less.

They've only released results obtained from testing 1 week after the 2nd shot.  How long is the vaccine going to last?

Are there any lasting side effects?

Is it going to be safe for people who are at high risk?  Those people usually aren't included in the trials.

Is it going to lessen the symptoms if you do get the virus?

The results haven't been published for peer review yet.  We're basically just going off of the companies press release.  Will the trial hold up to scrutiny?

The 90% results are definitely encouraging, but it still has a ways to go.  They're working on answering those questions, but they're still going to have to be answered before the vaccine can be distributed.  Hopefully all those questions get answered soon and they can start moving the vaccine.

11 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I know a lot of people are excited about the early vaccine results (with good reason), but there are still a lot of questions to answer before it will be available.

There are only 94 people in the trial who tested positive, so it is a really small amount of people.  It could end up being 90% effective, or it could end up being way less.

They've only released results obtained from testing 1 week after the 2nd shot.  How long is the vaccine going to last?

Is it going to be safe for people who are at high risk?  Those people usually aren't included in the trials.

The results haven't been published for peer review yet.  We're basically just going off of the companies press release.  Will the trial hold up to scrutiny?

The 90% results are definitely encouraging, but it still has a ways to go.  They're working on answering those questions, but they're still going to have to be answered before the vaccine can be distributed.  Hopefully all those questions get answered soon and they can start moving the vaccine.

All good points, there are a few more weeks to get some more solid answers. Also, should be able to see the data by then. Even Fauci admitted that he hadn’t seen the data yet. High risk, pregnant women, and children trials will come later. 

Moderna’s vaccine is reportedly very similar in structure, so the 90% bodes well for that one too. 

We’re not there yet, but this is a good development. Allows just a bit more light at the end of the tunnel. I have not talked to any of my faculty about it yet, so I’m curious what people way smarter than me think. 

8 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

All good points, there are a few more weeks to get some more solid answers. Also, should be able to see the data by then. Even Fauci admitted that he hadn’t seen the data yet. High risk, pregnant women, and children trials will come later. 

Moderna’s vaccine is reportedly very similar in structure, so the 90% bodes well for that one too. 

We’re not there yet, but this is a good development. Allows just a bit more light at the end of the tunnel. I have not talked to any of my faculty about it yet, so I’m curious what people way smarter than me think. 

Yeah, I think yesterday's news was a really good step forward.  I'm just cautiously optimistic.

It's like we've jumped out to a 2 touchdown lead on OSU.  It is a great start, but still a long ways to go.

Does anybody know if most vaccines being developed are 2 shots where you have to wait 28 days between them?  Also, do the other vaccines need to be kept as cold as the Pfizer one?

33 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Good points.

And to the skepticism about timing; they didn't even get those results until late last week. I also heard on some interview that the results are coming in a lot sooner than expected because the they have to wait on the placebo group to get to a certain amount of cases. With the spike in cases this last month, more people in that group were getting infected at a quicker rate. The irony: spiking cases are helping by leading to quicker vaccination results. 

54 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Good points.

And to the skepticism about timing; they didn't even get those results until late last week. I also heard on some interview that the results are coming in a lot sooner than expected because the they have to wait on the placebo group to get to a certain amount of cases. With the spike in cases this last month, more people in that group were getting infected at a quicker rate. The irony: spiking cases are helping by leading to quicker vaccination results. 

That last point is spot on. That group was easy to fill b/c there were so many cases. 

We had the opposite happen for one of our big trials this summer, it was in the midst of recruiting when positive cases here plummeted. It was hard to enroll people, b/c of so few positives. 

This site color categorizes Covid geographically based on a variety of options.  The end result is that if you have more than 25 cases per 100,000 people for a 7 day moving average, you are considered in Red status.  Of the 93 counties in Indiana, 92 of them are in Red status.  Only Brown County, at 24.6 cases per 100,000 residents is not.  

https://globalepidemics.org/key-metrics-for-covid-suppression/

Edited by 5fouls

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

My question and I feel stupid for not knowing.  If I get the vaccine am I contagious enough to give it to my family.  I want Ayden to get it ASAP but I am worried about the impact on him. Flu shot every year for us is a no Brainerd, covid shot many more questions 

I don't know for sure, but just guessing. If indeed the vaccine is 90% effective you'd have a 1 in 10 chance of getting infected and spreading it.....at least initially. As more people that get the vaccine, the chances of being contagious (with vaccine) would decrease even more because with 9 out of 10 people having antibodies (more if you count the already infected) the virus would have a harder time finding a host. Thus, slowly disappear - aka herd immunity. 

This is why the 90% mark is such good news (if it comes to fruition). 90% effective is measles vaccine territory. By comparison, the annual flu shot varies between 40-60%, which is why many people still get the flu even with a vaccine. 

As for Ayden and other compromised individuals it sounds like more info is needed still. I guess we'll have to wait until it's peer reviewed and see what the FDA does. Just keeping my fingers crossed in the meantime. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I don't know for sure, but just guessing. If indeed the vaccine is 90% effective you'd have a 1 in 10 chance of getting infected and spreading it.....at least initially. As more people that get the vaccine, the chances of being contagious (with vaccine) would decrease even more because with 9 out of 10 people having antibodies (more if you count the already infected) the virus would have a harder time finding a host. Thus, slowly disappear - aka herd immunity. 

This is why the 90% mark is such good news (if it comes to fruition). 90% effective is measles vaccine territory. By comparison, the annual flu shot varies between 40-60%, which is why many people still get the flu even with a vaccine. 

As for Ayden and other compromised individuals it sounds like more info is needed still. I guess we'll have to wait until it's peer reviewed and see what the FDA does. Just keeping my fingers crossed in the meantime. 

Makes perfect sense to me. Very well explained.  

On 11/8/2020 at 4:07 PM, BGleas said:

I live in the Cherry Creek school district here in Colorado.  Our kids have been going to class.  However... it has just been announced that starting in a couple of days..... they will have to go back to in home learning.  Also... know of a young lady attending college in Colorado.  And just hates all the restrictions put on her due to the pandemic.  May drop out because of it. 

For those of you that are Indiana residents, I found a link that captures cases by zip code.  Not sure how often the data is updated.  And, not every zip code is disclosed.  But, for those that are reporting, the highest % in the state by a significant margin, at 13.5% of the population is 47406.  That just happens to be the zip code for the part of Bloomington that includes the IU campus.

https://hub.mph.in.gov/dataset/covid-19-cases-by-zip

Edited by 5fouls

4 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

For those of you who have schools in your area who are doing remote learning, do the teachers get to teach from home or do they still have to go to the school?  My district just said yesterday that we'd still have to come in to the school each day if we go remote.

My nephew is a teacher in the Hamilton SE schools and this year they taught from the classroom.  Last year he maonly worked from home and put assignments on line.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

For those of you who have schools in your area who are doing remote learning, do the teachers get to teach from home or do they still have to go to the school?  My district just said yesterday that we'd still have to come in to the school each day if we go remote.

I know 1 district where teachers can stay home (Naperville) and a couple others where they have to go to school.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

My wife taught at the same school for nearly 40 years... before retiring.  Before this Covid thing.  She has two teacher friends that have taught for an equal amount of time.  Who... upon learning that they could not be in the classroom... chose to retire instead of doing remote learning.