Coronavirus

Reacher

My wife’s uncle. who lives in MI, has tested positive. He had convinced his father to go on their annual hunting trip with a group of other friends and while they were all together one person in the cabin got sick and had to leave. He tested positive for COVID and just yesterday her uncle got his results - he tested positive. Still waiting on results for his father. 

In the meantime, they have cancelled the big Holiday dinner for the MI gang, which is smart. 

My wife and I are having a quiet Thanksgiving here with the dog and cats. Actually looking forward to it! Just thankful we are both healthy and employed this year. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

What these Dicktator governors are ordering when it comes to authoritarian rules over Thanksgiving.  Just wait, Christmas will be next, is egregious.  And people just take it up the ass. I will not. But I do feel hopeless about the future.

Are we just going to ditch the legislative process.  Apparently so.  

We are adults and can assess risk and make our own decisions. But poopheads think they can do that for us. F them. 

I for one will act responsibly and still continue to not let anyone tell me what to do.

BTW. It felt good having IU basketball back.😁

If I’m being honest, I’m not sure poop heads or many adults are capable of making sound decisions these days. We’re the blind leading the blind.

People are advised: ‘Don’t touch that stove...it’s hot”. Then they touch the stove and are angry they have to deal with treating the burn. Multiply this logic by one-hundred million. 

6 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

If I’m being honest, I’m not sure poop heads or many adults are capable of making sound decisions these days. We’re the blind leading the blind.

People are advised: ‘Don’t touch that stove...it’s hot”. Then they touch the stove and are angry they have to deal with treating the burn. Multiply this logic by one-hundred million. 

I agree.  You are right, and I used poop heads instead of profanity because of board rules. I have have a better term for it. 

I just feel like like I'm living in a world that is stuck in 2nd grade. 

Is Covid 19 here forever.

Virus Expert Says COVID Will 'Not Go Away' and Could Be Around for 'Rest of Our Lives' (msn.com)

I dislike stories like this because all they do is spawn fear without providing any real substance.  Does ;never get back to normal' mean will never get rid of facemasks?  Does it mean that we will never again be able to fill a sports arena?  Or, does it simply mean we will have to get a booster shot every year like we do with the flu?

How hard is it to actually provide some specific if you're going to toss such an unsettling thesis out there.  

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My oldest daughter (36) tested positive today...

Said she's feeling ok, can't taste anything, and has a low grade fever...

I hate to hear that.  It's one thing to hear about some one you don't know. But quite another thing if it is a family member.  I wish her well.

• Thanks 1

On 11/27/2020 at 7:51 PM, IUFLA said:

Very sorry to hear this but glad she otherwise is feeling ok. Now that we understand how to treat this Virus she will be in good hands. Our firm administrator had it and went through all the symptoms, but is now ok. Hoping your daughter recovers quickly 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Very sorry to hear this but glad she otherwise is feeling ok. Now that we understand how to treat this Virus she will be in good hands. Our firm administrator had it and went through all the symptoms, but is now ok. Hoping your daughter recovers quickly 

She's in good spirits. She's also one of the funniest people I know as witnessed by this text she sent me...BTW, Terry is her hubby...

"The worst part is Terry was right and now I’m stuck with his stupid smug face for 2 weeks" 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 11/27/2020 at 8:51 PM, IUFLA said:

Is she still in Chicagoland? Best wishes on speedy recovery. I've known several in recent weeks in suburbs that have tested positive. All similar. Loss of taste but otherwise feeling ok. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Is she still in Chicagoland? Best wishes on speedy recovery. I've known several in recent weeks in suburbs that have tested positive. All similar. Loss of taste but otherwise feeling ok. 

No, she's down in southwestern Illinois. Highland.

My middle daughter still lives in Chicagoland (Naperville).

• Like 1

Look, I get it. people should not have travelled at Thanksgiving.  That said, stating that 'you should assume you are infected' if you did travel is a fear mongering statement.   Something like 46 states were already in red status before Thanksgiving.  So, how much impact did travelling for the holidays really have? 

If I am wearing a mask and washing my hands properly, am I more likely to catch the virus filling up at a gas station in Mississippi on my way to visit Aunt Molly than I am at the grocery in my hometown?  If I an wearing a mask and washing my hands properly, am I more likely to catch the virus visiting asymptomatic relatives than I am working next to asymptomatic co-workers at the office? 

Truthfully, at this point, what does TRAVELLING have to do with the spreading virus when it is already prevalent in virtually every county in the country?  It's not like the guy travelling from New York to L.A. is introducing this thing to California.  That bridge was crossed a long time ago.  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/30/health/us-coronavirus-monday/index.html

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Look, I get it. people should not have travelled at Thanksgiving.  That said, stating that 'you should assume you are infected' if you did travel is a fear mongering statement.   Something like 46 states were already in red status before Thanksgiving.  So, how much impact did travelling for the holidays really have? 

If I am wearing a mask and washing my hands properly, am I more likely to catch the virus filling up at a gas station in Mississippi on my way to visit Aunt Molly than I am at the grocery in my hometown?  If I an wearing a mask and washing my hands properly, am I more likely to catch the virus visiting asymptomatic relatives than I am working next to asymptomatic co-workers at the office? 

Truthfully, at this point, what does TRAVELLING have to do with the spreading virus when it is already prevalent in virtually every county in the country?  It's not like the guy travelling from New York to L.A. is introducing this thing to California.  That bridge was crossed a long time ago.  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/30/health/us-coronavirus-monday/index.html

Two words: exponential spread.That guy traveling to CA isn't only going to introduce it to California. He's going to introduce it to everybody he's in contact with on the way to California. And the few people who catch it are going to introduce it to other people in their travels. Multiply it by the stupidly high amount of people who traveled last weekend. And we didn't even get into the celebration of Thanksgiving and their return travels. 

The more we unnecessarily move and congregate, the more it will spread. It's as simple as that. It always has been as simple as that. And this happened at very high levels this past weekend. As a result, we will see a rise in the next few weeks no matter what Brix, Fauci or the media says....or how they say it. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Two words: exponential spread.That guy traveling to CA isn't only going to introduce it to California. He's going to introduce it to everybody he's in contact with on the way to California. And the few people who catch it are going to introduce it to other people in their travels. Multiply it by the stupidly high amount of people who traveled last weekend. And we didn't even get into the celebration of Thanksgiving and their return travels. 

The more we unnecessarily move and congregate, the more it will spread. It's as simple as that. It always has been as simple as that. And this happened at very high levels this past weekend. As a result, we will see a rise in the next few weeks no matter what Brix, Fauci or the media says....or how they say it. 

My point is she used the word 'travel' and not 'congregate'.  If I stay local and congregate with 50 people at my grandma's house, I'm exponentially spreading it just as much as if I travel to Mississippi, only stopping once to get gas along the way.  In fact, if my Mississippi family is only 10 people, I'm actually safer than I would be staying home with the 50 people at grandma's (who may all live locally).

I came across this and thought it seems believable. The question is how widespread of an issue is this?  I know some will summarily dismiss it. But I am sure it is happening at more than just the one hospital below.

Explains higher hospital capacities and drives more lockdowns. Worth digging into further.

"From what I'm hearing from the front line, a not insignificant number of admissions are of folks who would not have been admitted in March when there was fear of both the unknown and systemic failure and, not coincidently, when COVID diagnoses didn't pay as much.

Today, the admission criteria for COVID is so much more flexible than for standard diagnoses like CHF, and pays so much better than other diagnoses that our 'healthcare' system is rapidly becoming a 'COVID care' system.

The surge in hospitalizations and subsequent COVID-identified deaths may be driven, in part, to health systems adapting to new COVID revenue streams.

This would seemingly be good news, after all if it's the hospital administrator's desire to fill empty beds that's driving admissions rather than infection rates, then systemic failure can be averted through moderating those admission rates based on system capacity.

If your hospital fills up, just start sending the marginal cases home--inpatient/outpatient; the outcome for the patient will be pretty much the same and you've made as much money as your capacity will allow."

Edited by Reacher

44 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I came across this and thought it seems believable. The question is how widespread of an issue is this?  I know some will summarily dismiss it. But I am sure it is happening at more than just the one hospital below.

Explains higher hospital capacities and drives more lockdowns. Worth digging into further.

"From what I'm hearing from the front line, a not insignificant number of admissions are of folks who would not have been admitted in March when there was fear of both the unknown and systemic failure and, not coincidently, when COVID diagnoses didn't pay as much.

Today, the admission criteria for COVID is so much more flexible than for standard diagnoses like CHF, and pays so much better than other diagnoses that our 'healthcare' system is rapidly becoming a 'COVID care' system.

The surge in hospitalizations and subsequent COVID-identified deaths may be driven, in part, to health systems adapting to new COVID revenue streams.

This would seemingly be good news, after all if it's the hospital administrator's desire to fill empty beds that's driving admissions rather than infection rates, then systemic failure can be averted through moderating those admission rates based on system capacity.

If your hospital fills up, just start sending the marginal cases home--inpatient/outpatient; the outcome for the patient will be pretty much the same and you've made as much money as your capacity will allow."

So, where did this quote appear?  What's the origin, Jack?  That would be helpful.

Edited by jv1972iu

18 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

So, where did this quote appear?  What's the origin, Jack?  That would be helpful.

Not sure how that helps. I'm tired of people (not necessarily you) attacking the source and ignoring the content. Assume it was your favorite. Most reputable source. Can you see this happening?