Coronavirus

Reacher

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

That depends on what you read...

"Japan has so far managed to avoid “explosive” infections as in Europe and the U.S. without enforcing lockdowns, most likely thanks to the common use of face masks and disinfectant, as well as other common preventive measures including social distancing."

"Norway and Finland  boast the West’s lowest rates of mortality linked to Covid-19 and a low incidence of coronavirus infections even though they have kept their economies and societies largely open while lockdowns returned to the continent."

My friend, this isn't "black and white" as you say...One of the reasons I like to see ALL information, and not just one side...

Wait, you're using Japan as an example against me now? lol. 

My next sentence was: "However, there are different degrees to lockdowns....we apparently can't agree on what's right for us."

Japan actually did focused lockdowns because they had their shit together with contact tracing. It may be called a cluster based approach or cluster busting, but those clusters are locked down. And even Japan who is now in their 3rd wave fear that strategy have reached it's limits as clusters are becoming wider and more spread. The solution: further restrictions on movement and gathering.  I did say in my post that there are different degree of lockdowns, hence that grey area. 

We may be on a different page, but if you are disputing the fact that lockdowns mitigate the spread of an exponentially spreading airborne virus then you are wrong. Now, if you are disagreeing on if lockdowns are a tool we should use then that's a completely different thing. Or perhaps we have a different interpretation of the term "lockdown". I think of it as a government mandated or recommended guidance to restrict movement and gathering. 

Just now, tdhoosier said:

Wait, you're using Japan as an example against me now? lol. 

My next sentence was: "However, there are different degrees to lockdowns....we apparently can't agree on what's right for us."

Japan actually did focused lockdowns because they had their shit together with contact tracing. It may be called a cluster based approach or cluster busting, but those clusters are locked down. And even Japan who is now in their 3rd wave fear that strategy have reached it's limits as clusters are becoming wider and more spread. The solution: further restrictions on movement and gathering.  I did say in my post that there are different degree of lockdowns, hence that grey area. 

We may be on a different page, but if you are disputing the fact that lockdowns mitigate the spread of an exponentially spreading airborne virus then you are wrong. Now, if you are disagreeing on if lockdowns are a tool we should use then that's a completely different thing. Or perhaps we have a different interpretation of the term "lockdown". I think of it as a government mandated or recommended guidance to restrict movement and gathering. 

Not "against" you at all, brother...Just trying like everyone else to understand it...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

My friend, this isn't "black and white" as you say...One of the reasons I like to see ALL information, and not just one side...

I agree. How can one say lockdowns unequivocally work when respected institutions and journals have not come to the same conclusion?

https://fee.org/articles/3-studies-that-show-lockdowns-are-ineffective-at-slowing-covid-19/

Let's see how this plays out without rushing to judgement and objectively take into account all relevant information. 

I think a major factor that has not been discussed enough is the overall health of the American people.  Obesity, diabetes, stress, etc. are things that are known to cause worse symptoms.  And, Americans have a greater percentage of those things than other populations.

• Like 1

Okay, I've said it before that I pretty much avoid this thread because it seems nobody really knows the answers. However, this week it has come close to home! Our company considered essential has had an outbreak of sorts in the office area. Seems the VP of OPs may be the source! His hunting buddy who sits about 8' from me and him have both come down with the VID! Now there are 4 more out besides them! We have reinstituted March protocol's where non manufacturing office staff are now being required to work remote and several other safety measures like now we have daily sterilization fogging! My department Manufacturing Engineering is still on site in support of manufacturing! Today, my team member and friend who you may have read in other posts is a Muslim refugee from Kosovo received the news his son was being sent home from school because a classmate was positive. We received the great news a little while ago, that all of his family tested negative!!! I have plans for going and getting the three part test with the within hours test, the within days test and the antibody test next Tuesday because of this writing, I still plan on celebrating Christmas with all of the family and Grandchildren in CA the following week, hope governor Newsome doesn't find out or you may find out about me on the evening news! However, I do wear my mask and I do wash and sterilize my hands probably more than a dozen times a day. I'm no fool at my age

Believe me if I feel I have symptoms or the tests come back positive, I'm not going! Already have the plan that if I need to quarantine I'm ordering some Chicago Italian Beef sandwich fixings with giardiniera.

Whishing all of you and yours all the best with safety!

• Like 4

The math and science tell you that number of cases per 1 million population is a much more meaningful stat than raw numbers.  I've listed below the 11 states with the lowest number of cases per capita (and yes, I know DC is not a state).

Throw out Hawaii for obvious reasons because of its isolation and you still see some very interesting geographical trends.  Pacific Northwest, Upper New England, and the Mid-Atlantic.

When all this is over, it would be very interesting to see if someone can pin down some of the reasons for that.

Vermont

Maine

Hawaii

Oregon

New Hampshire

Washington

Virginia

West Virginia

DC 

Pennsylvania

Maryland

8 minutes ago, Reacher said:

IN cases traced to Biogen supersreader event in Boston-

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/12/us/coronavirus-biogen-boston-superspreader.html

I think the whole ide of superspreader events is overblown.  And, I'm not saying that we should be gathering in big crowds.  What I mean is that yes, the Biogen conference helped bring the virus to Indiana.  But, cross country truckers, vacationing families, interstate business commuters, etc. have helped spread the virus across the country as well. 

But, the biggest spreader.  Friends and Family.  Once it got to the U.S., it was going to spread.  Yes, large gatherings contribute to that.  But, it was going to spread anyway.

• Like 1

Vaccine arrived in Colorado this morning (Dec. 14).  We have a great friend, who is a health care worker. Who migrated to this country.  From Ukraine. Mrs. mile and my son attended her U.S. citizenship ceremony.  Got her nurse's license in Colorado. And has been treating patients tirelessly.  Will be placing a call to find out when she gets the shot.... as front line workers in Colorado are scheduled to get the shots first.

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Scientists Living in Isolation on Remote Island for 8 Months Return Home to Raging Pandemic | Inside Edition

Saw this the other day on the news about these scientist who had no clue about the pandemic

There was a show like this on TNT called The Last Ship, but it was a Navy research ship and the pandemic they came back to was much worse. 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

NYC preparing for "full shutdown."

Really feel for my friend @Lostin76...

Always darkest just before dawn, my friend...

Was kind of weird yesterday, as it was gorgeous and 60 degrees. All of the outdoor restaurants and bars set up for outdoor dining were PACKED. I walked a few blocks to get a carryout pizza and had to walk in the street b/c of all the diners. I think people and the restaurants were trying to get as much in before indoor dining was cancelled today. 

I’m really feeling for all the restaurant and bar staff going forward. They are basically going to be jobless as not many people are going to want to eat outside in the winter no matter how nice their setup is or how many propane heaters. 

We are mostly prepared here, but feeling very down about all of the people this is going to impact. I think the first time, we didn’t really know what we were facing, but after more than six months of reduced profit/pay this time is going to be much worse for people. Also hoping that we (or any of us anywhere) don’t have the overflowing refrigerated trucks fill of bodies and 24/7 sirens... Not sure I can do another March/April situation this winter. 

This could be a rough winter all over - even my hometown county is not looking great lately. 

But you are right, Spring will come and hopefully all of us will make it out of this. And hopefully, we can have IU basketball to keep us entertained.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2020 at 7:26 PM, 5fouls said:

I think a major factor that has not been discussed enough is the overall health of the American people.  Obesity, diabetes, stress, etc. are things that are known to cause worse symptoms.  And, Americans have a greater percentage of those things than other populations.

Alcohol?  Smoking?  Drug use?  There has to be a "bean counter" out there somewhere that is keeping track of all of this stuff.

On 12/14/2020 at 3:56 PM, Lostin76 said:

Was kind of weird yesterday, as it was gorgeous and 60 degrees. All of the outdoor restaurants and bars set up for outdoor dining were PACKED. I walked a few blocks to get a carryout pizza and had to walk in the street b/c of all the diners. I think people and the restaurants were trying to get as much in before indoor dining was cancelled today. 

I’m really feeling for all the restaurant and bar staff going forward. They are basically going to be jobless as not many people are going to want to eat outside in the winter no matter how nice their setup is or how many propane heaters. 

We are mostly prepared here, but feeling very down about all of the people this is going to impact. I think the first time, we didn’t really know what we were facing, but after more than six months of reduced profit/pay this time is going to be much worse for people. Also hoping that we (or any of us anywhere) don’t have the overflowing refrigerated trucks fill of bodies and 24/7 sirens... Not sure I can do another March/April situation this winter. 

This could be a rough winter all over - even my hometown county is not looking great lately. 

But you are right, Spring will come and hopefully all of us will make it out of this. And hopefully, we can have IU basketball to keep us entertained.

Stay safe. I guess with a foot of snow coming to the area not many will be out!