Coronavirus

Reacher

Something I'm curious about.  Since many states seem to be reporting people who have traces of the virus in their system as Covid related deaths, how is that going to work once the vaccine has been administered?  Doesn't the vaccine include traces of the virus?  

I ask because so much attention is being given towards long term care patients getting the vaccine.  I've seen multiple news stories about this 100 year old or this 98 year old getting the vaccine. There is a pretty fair chance they will be dying within the next couple of years anyway.   I'm not against them getting the vaccine, but I would hope that, if they do pass away in the next 2-3 months, it's not counted as a Covid death just because there is evidence of the virus or anti-bodies in their system.

If they are counted, our numbers aren't going to show much improvement because among the first group getting the vaccine, there is a higher than normal probability of death anyway.

I found this interesting after a coworker made the claim that a person dies of corona every 10 minutes in california, which I googled and multiple outlets are repeating the claim.  We come full circle.  How many of these people had a foot in the grave already?  And why can't I find any information that gives me a clear answer to this question.  What is the average age at death due to/with covid?  Found one article in britian from telegraph, Nov 20th.  Avg age at death in britian was 82.4.  That's 2 years older than their normal avg age at death.  That's weird.  

In the United States we average a death every 10 seconds.  If 94% of deaths with corona had a pre-existing condition, it is reasonable to ask, what was THE CAUSE of death.  This is not political. 

https://www.census.gov/popclock/population_widget_200x402.php

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Anybody here get the vaccine yet?  I just got a call that said employees at our school can get the vaccine tomorrow.  Not sure which vaccine it is.

Got a text from my primary said it would be available mid-January...I'm not going to get it ASAP because I have a surgery scheduled for 1/27...but as soon as they clear me, I'll get it...  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

Anybody here get the vaccine yet?  I just got a call that said employees at our school can get the vaccine tomorrow.  Not sure which vaccine it is.

My niece and nephew both have taken the vaccine.. as of yesterday,  their heads had not exploded yet.  They are both young.  Long term I'm worried about fertility issues on the younger generation 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

Good news.  I have an appointment with my primary scheduled for another reason in late January.  Hoping to at least find out then when I can get it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

My niece and nephew both have taken the vaccine.. as of yesterday,  their heads had not exploded yet.  They are both young.  Long term I'm worried about fertility issues on the younger generation 

That's my biggest concern. We just don't know what the long term effects will be. Hopefully nothing, but we're going in mostly blind. I think I'll get it just to help protect my grandma.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Good news.  I have an appointment with my primary scheduled for another reason in late January.  Hoping to at least find out then when I can get it.

We were told a couple weeks ago to expect it sometime in January or February, which I figured meant sometime in March. I was shocked when we got the phone call about it today. We're a small county, so not sure if that factored in to why I can get it so soon.

So I tend to stay away from this thread because nobody seems to really know. However I have had some very personal experiences lately. A week ago Saturday I get  a text message from a coworker, he tested positive! I'm on a plane headed to Dallas and ultimately California? I was sitting next to him during our department Christmas lunch the day before! Worse my friend and boss who is a blood cancer survivor was sitting across the table from him! What to do? There was some serious family discussion about me staying in Dallas 'where?' or going home, but ultimately I went on. I'm one who wear's a mask and wash's and sanitizes my hands a dozen times or more a day as a matter of course. That became a priority! Went through the week wearing my mask ALL the time and sanitizing ALL the time!

As God would have it, I got through the week with my family, without any issues or symptoms!

Today, I had lunch with my coworker who had tested positive! Who knows what the real answers are?

LIFE GOES ON!

• Like 1

Honest question because I'm curious.. if someone had Covid let's say 2 weeks ago... is there any need for them to wear a mask within that 90 day window? Basically.. can someone thats had Covid, pass on Covid within the next 90 days after having it?

I just had it.. was only achy for 2 days. Never had a fever, only thing that sucked was my loss of taste and smell for about 5-6 days. That was weird. My fiancé has slept in the same bed, done everything with me, everyday as we normally would. (Obviously I wasn't in public). She's shown zero symptoms. My last day for being contagious was Saturday. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Honest question because I'm curious.. if someone had Covid let's say 2 weeks ago... is there any need for them to wear a mask within that 90 day window? Basically.. can someone thats had Covid, pass on Covid within the next 90 days after having it?

I just had it.. was only achy for 2 days. Never had a fever, only thing that sucked was my loss of taste and smell for about 5-6 days. That was weird. My fiancé has slept in the same bed, done everything with me, everyday as we normally would. (Obviously I wasn't in public). She's shown zero symptoms. My last day for being contagious was Saturday. 

That’s probably a really hard question to answer if we are going to be honest and objective about it because no one really knows. I think really the only thing that happens when you get Covid is you have the antibodies for a few months so you are immune, if you want to call it, that for a while before you could potentially get it again. I don’t know that it would 100% prevent you from spreading it but the risk is probably minimal. 

22 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I was in a sour mood last night. This $2.3 trillion stimulus package that passed and only $900 billion goes to Americans with a $600 stimulus check. I'm absolutely sick of the rest of the world holding their hand out for OUR money and getting it and we essentially get nothing. 

This isn't really correct.

This was a $920b stimulus package paired with a ~$1.4t government funding bill ("omnibus").

The $920b break down is here.  $600b+ of it is more PPP, more UI, and stimulus.  The rest have pretty clear links to helping those who are hurting (nutrition assistance/etc): https://www.crfb.org/blogs/whats-final-covid-relief-deal-2020

The government funding bill has a summary here: https://appropriations.house.gov/sites/democrats.appropriations.house.gov/files/Summary of H.R. 133 Appropriations Provisions.pdf

$671b is in defense funding.  23% of defense spending is direct pay and benefits to soldiers.  You can skim through the expenses that make up the $656b that is non-defense spending, but it certainly has plenty of line items that people find great use in.

Section K of the second attachment, which encompasses all State Department and USAID funding, is a total of $55b.

• Like 3

Appreciate the breakdown. I guess my beef is a direct stimulus package should stand alone and not be part of some 6,000 page omnibus bill. 

I will admit I'm a layman when it comes to this stuff and the line items I saw didn't belong in a covid stimulus package.

Americans are struggling and $600 doesn't do enough. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

That is circular reporting. 5 outlets quoting the same AP story.  No hard data in there. "There COULD be 3.2 million deaths" " Deaths EXPECTED to top 3 million".

I'm content to wait and see. These articles seem sensationalistic, like much of the reporting on Covid, so sorry if I don't just buy into that. 

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Appreciate the breakdown. I guess my beef is a direct stimulus package should stand alone and not be part of some 6,000 page omnibus bill. 

I will admit I'm a layman when it comes to this stuff and the line items I saw didn't belong in a covid stimulus package.

Americans are struggling and $600 doesn't do enough. 

Total agreement there. It’s a crappy way of budgeting that our leaders have gotten used to and it also definitely isn’t enough. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

EDINBURG, Texas — Days after her Thanksgiving feast was prepared, served and eaten, Maribel Rodriguez tried to muster the will to unpack the tree, lights and decorations of boisterous Christmases past.

Instead she found herself praying a rosary over the three wooden urns containing the ashes of her husband, her mother and an aunt, all of whom had shared a home with her.

“My husband was the one who used to set up the tree and dressed up as Santa every year,” Ms. Rodriguez said in a rural section of Edinburg, Texas, her voice echoing around the hacienda-style home that is emptier now. “I can’t get myself to do it. I end up crying before I touch any of the ornaments.”

Her husband, Domingo Davila, 65, tested positive for the coronavirus in September after undergoing a leg amputation. Within days, Ms. Rodriguez caught the virus, too, along with her mother, Maria Guadalupe Rodriguez, and aunt, Mirthala Ramirez.

Ms. Rodriguez recovered but the others did not. In all, she has lost seven relatives to the virus since the pandemic took hold in the Rio Grande Valley. “This virus didn’t kill me,” she said, “but it sure took my life.”

I truly feel empathy for these people, underlying medical conditions were probably involved.  Mr. Rodriguez probably had a leg amputation due to complications with diabetes.  

I'm not denying that covid real and should be taken seriously, but it seems to me our stupid population acts like this is the first pandemic in human history.  

We all have our own experiences with this thing. For us, where I live, its life as usual. 

For you, its obvious it's much different. I apologize for being obtuse.

Take care and stay safe. GO IU!

10 hours ago, Reacher said:

That is circular reporting. 5 outlets quoting the same AP story.  No hard data in there. "There COULD be 3.2 million deaths" " Deaths EXPECTED to top 3 million".

I'm content to wait and see. These articles seem sensationalistic, like much of the reporting on Covid, so sorry if I don't just buy into that. 

TaSKjdZ.gif

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I truly feel empathy for these people, underlying medical conditions were probably involved.  Mr. Rodriguez probably had a leg amputation due to complications with diabetes.  

I'm not denying that covid real and should be taken seriously, but it seems to me our stupid population acts like this is the first pandemic in human history.  

We all have our own experiences with this thing. For us, where I live, its life as usual. 

For you, its obvious it's much different. I apologize for being obtuse.

Take care and stay safe. GO IU!

I truly hope that “life is usual” works out for you and your loved ones. And I didn‘t add my usual snarky comment when I quoted you, b/c I know you’re just frustrated - like we all are. This year has just sucked for so many.

Definitely underlying conditions involved for some of these folks. But that’t the thing - we can’t dismiss it b/c we are healthy as there are so many around us who are not healthy. 

And yes, GO IU! Am excited to have a game to watch (that we might actually win) tonight and a bowl game this weekend!

• Like 1

Just got back from getting the 1st shot of the Moderna vaccine.  No side effects so far.  A couple nurses working are parents of kids I've had in class, so we talked a little bit.  They said only about 30% of the people who are eligible have been getting the shot which is why the could get us in early than they expected.  We're a small, rural area, so I'm not really surprised by that, but hopefully other places are higher.  30% won't cut it.

• Like 2