Coronavirus

Reacher

So my department has a double row of cubes with only a 4' wall between us! One side is called the COVID side and the other side is called the Non-COVID side. Oh and the other side of the isle from me, that whole row has had it! Going to get tested tomorrow, hope I don't let my Non-COVID side down!

Just now, Lostin76 said:

A Florida doctor has died several weeks after receiving a COVID-19 vaccine, although it's not yet clear whether his death Monday was related to the shot he received on Dec. 18.

Talk about bad headlines...

Agreed.  The vaccine may have nothing to do with his death.  Just, like the 98 year old people in an nursing home that die 2 months after getting the vaccine.  It's highly likely that it was not the vaccine that killed them.  And, quite honestly, unless there was some direct correlation proven, this story should never have been written until more facts were received.  

Again, the media is stirring the pot.  Someone will see that headline, read not further, and choose not to get the vaccine.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Agreed.  The vaccine may have nothing to do with his death.  Just, like the 98 year old people in an nursing home that die 2 months after getting the vaccine.  It's highly likely that it was not the vaccine that killed them.  And, quite honestly, unless there was some direct correlation proven, this story should never have been written until more facts were received.  

Again, the media is stirring the pot.  Someone will see that headline, read not further, and choose not to get the vaccine.  

Exactly, that’s the scary part. We are actually starting to seeing a lot of medical staff refusing the vaccine in NYS. 

• Sad 1

Vaccine distribution may be changing by the end of the month,  The current approach is to hold back some distribution to ensure there are enough 2nd doses to give to those that received a first dose.  The possible change in approach will be to release almost all available does now to hopefully increase the number of first doses and then allow/expect manufacturing to keep up with the demand of second doses. 

I understand the rationale of both approaches.  But, I am getting Covid weary and will ultimately be behind whichever approach helps us get where we need/want tp be.

If anyone wants to discuss, please stay on the pros and cons of each approach and leave any politics out of the discussion

Exclusive: Biden will release nearly all available vaccine doses in break from Trump administration policy of holding back stock for second dose - CNNPolitics

If we were going at a faster rate, I would say they should hold onto the 2nd dose, but we've only given 5.9 million shots of the 21.4 million distributed.  If they held back 6 million to give a 2nd dose to everybody who has already had the first shot, we'd still have over 9 million doses to give out.  At the rate we're going, it seems like we're getting more doses in than we're getting people vaccinated, so I feel like we'd be alright.

Some have complained about the vaccine not being distributed fast enough. I recently read this-

The initial rollout has been slow almost everywhere. (Israel and surprisingly West Virginia being impressive exceptions. West Virginia was the one state that did not use the federal nursing home rollout plan. They ran their own process, showing how this is really a state-by-state problem.) 

I have noticed around Chicagoland, there are big differences in the rollout by county. Lake county was more organized and let people sign up in Dec for text notifications of the availability. Cook, DuPage and Will still do not have that and, from personal observations and talking to others, there is a big difference based upon where you live / work. My wife was not able to get vaccinated in Will county where we live but was able to get vaccinated in Cook County where she works. 

It seems the rollout, its speed, and effectiveness is being determined by the countys, then the states and lastly by Federal governance. 

• Like 2

Once again, NY appears to be bungling its Covid response. As cases are at an all time high-

ny-covid-cases.jpg

The governor is saying now is the time to reopen. Didn't he listen to any of his own press conferences? All the other "experts"?

Furthermore, their vaccine rollout seems to be the most problematic. 50+ questions? 6 steps to set up a vaccination appt?

• Sad 1

We had another Town Hall today with a member of the new COVID task force. Was mostly on vaccines, but she also said that they are really focused on keeping schools both open AND safe for teachers. This seems to be a real push to keep kids in schools.

Another thing that I was happy to hear her talk about was focusing on mental health, unemployment, drug abuse, suicide during the pandemic. She really seemed to be focused on what happens to families when a parent is no longer employed. She spoke at great length about the psychological impact of losing a job or income. Was happy to hear this as I don’t think it’s really been a focus for many leaders. 

She also said she wasn’t really a sports fan, so didn’t consider sports essential like restaurants and bars, which are often locally owned. She did say that she realizes that sports have helped people deal with anxiety and stress of the pandemic.

This wasn’t as detail oriented as previous talks, but I did like the focus on dealing with ancillary issues caused by the pandemic. 

• Like 1

There is very little good news anymore and we are probably all just beaten down by the continuing spiral of new cases and deaths. Looks like we just passed 400K deaths today. Our weekly deaths from COVID lately are beginning to rival annual flu deaths. 

I have a postdoc from the UK that I’ve been trying to get into the States for the last six months. Talked to her on Zoom today and she was describing the UK lockdown. Sounds almost as bad as NYC this past March. 

My Dad is in Gibson County and getting vaccinated soon, which is a relief. Gibson County has been in the red recently and even my more skeptical relatives are kind of getting weirded out. 

2 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I'm on the fence with whether giving extended care patients priority to vaccinations is even the right thing to do.  Yes, they are very vulnerable to the disease.  But, they are also vulnerable to death from other things as well.  It seems a more effective approach would be to vaccinate those that may come into contact with nursing home patients first.  In other words, give priority to the health care workers (which we have), but also the children and grandchildren of these patients.  If those people get vaccinated, then not only are they not bringing the disease into the facility, but they are also not spreading the disease outside the facility either.  I think it speeds up herd immunity.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm on the fence with whether giving extended care patients priority to vaccinations is even the right thing to do.  Yes, they are very vulnerable to the disease.  But, they are also vulnerable to death from other things as well.  It seems a more effective approach would be to vaccinate those that may come into contact with nursing home patients first.  In other words, give priority to the health care workers (which we have), but also the children and grandchildren of these patients.  If those people get vaccinated, then not only are they not bringing the disease into the facility, but they are also not spreading the disease outside the facility either.  I think it speeds up herd immunity.   

I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression you can still get, carry, and spread covid even after being vaccinated.   The vaccine just cuts symptoms severity down...  some correct me if I'm wrong

3 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression you can still get, carry, and spread covid even after being vaccinated.   The vaccine just cuts symptoms severity down...  some correct me if I'm wrong

If true, that changes my position.