Coronavirus

Reacher

48 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Didn’t Larry King have it back in December? I thought he had heart problems, so maybe the death wasn’t related to COVID?

1 minute ago, Lostin76 said:

Didn’t Larry King have it back in December? I thought he had heart problems, so maybe the death wasn’t related to COVID?

It was January.  And, he was still in the hospital.  The story itself mentions Covid and lung cancer.  I think this is a pretty obvious example of the media spinning the narrative.  I'm not diminishing the dangers of Covid at all.  They both had it when they died.

The one that concerns me right now is Hank Aaron.  Would he have died if he had not received the vaccine.  The fact that they have not disclosed his cause of death is a red flag that it might be related to the vaccine.  Or, it could just be because he was 86.  

Just now, 5fouls said:

It was January.  And, he was still in the hospital.  The story itself mentions Covid and lung cancer.  I think this is a pretty obvious example of the media spinning the narrative.  I'm not diminishing the dangers of Covid at all.  They both had it when they died.

The one that concerns me right now is Hank Aaron.  Would he have died if he had not received the vaccine.  The fact that they have not disclosed his cause of death is a red flag that it might be related to the vaccine.  Or, it could just be because he was 86.  

Ah, I didn’t follow King that closely, thought he had recovered. Sure, it could totally be “spinning the narrative” or just normal inconsistency among writers/editors. I don’t expect much from CNN. 

I saw a headline today mentioning a worry of Hank Aaron’s death causing people not to get the vaccine. That would be bad. 

I got my second dose on Thursday and woke up shaking in bed at 2am. Could not warm up no matter what. My wife piled like 8 blankets on me to get me to stop shaking. Had some pretty bad body aches too. Was no joke for about 6-10 hours. My wife had no issues at all with the second dose.

I would obviously still get a second dose even knowing that I would get some flu-like side effects, but I can see someone really frail or much older really struggling with those kind of side effects. 

5 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Ah, I didn’t follow King that closely, thought he had recovered. Sure, it could totally be “spinning the narrative” or just normal inconsistency among writers/editors. I don’t expect much from CNN. 

I saw a headline today mentioning a worry of Hank Aaron’s death causing people not to get the vaccine. That would be bad. 

I got my second dose on Thursday and woke up shaking in bed at 2am. Could not warm up no matter what. My wife piled like 8 blankets on me to get me to stop shaking. Had some pretty bad body aches too. Was no joke for about 6-10 hours. My wife had no issues at all with the second dose.

I would obviously still get a second dose even knowing that I would get some flu-like side effects, but I can see someone really frail or much older really struggling with those kind of side effects. 

Did you get Moderna of Pfizer?  I'm getting ready to schedule my mom, for her first dose since Indiana opened up for those over 70.  She's not in good health, and I worry what even a minor reaction will do to her.  

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Did you get Moderna of Pfizer?  I'm getting ready to schedule my mom, for her first dose since Indiana opened up for those over 70.  She's not in good health, and I worry what even a minor reaction will do to her.  

Pfizer. First dose, no issues at all. Also my wife had no issues with either dose. Most of my faculty and staff have also received with no issues. One doc had a reaction like mine to second dose. 

Most likely, she will have no issues. My grandma is 90 and just her first dose in Gibson Co. My Dad is worried about the second dose after my side effects. I think someone is going to stay with her the night she receives the dose. 

I hope I didn’t scare you or anyone else - it was just like a rough flu, but passed quickly. 

27 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Pfizer. First dose, no issues at all. Also my wife had no issues with either dose. Most of my faculty and staff have also received with no issues. One doc had a reaction like mine to second dose. 

Most likely, she will have no issues. My grandma is 90 and just her first dose in Gibson Co. My Dad is worried about the second dose after my side effects. I think someone is going to stay with her the night she receives the dose. 

I hope I didn’t scare you or anyone else - it was just like a rough flu, but passed quickly. 

I wouldn't be worried it it was me.  It's just that my mom is quite frail.  Someone in the family is with her 24/7 like it is, so we have that piece covered. My concern is whether her immune system, which is already compromised, going to be able to handle it.  

Article on covid becoming endemic

Kind of a long read but here is a snippet on immunity.  Small sample size but something positive.

A study published in Science on January 6 tracked the immune response of 188 COVID-19 patients for five to eight months post-infection, and while individuals varied, about 95 percent of patients had measurable levels of immunity.

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I wouldn't be worried it it was me.  It's just that my mom is quite frail.  Someone in the family is with her 24/7 like it is, so we have that piece covered. My concern is whether her immune system, which is already compromised, going to be able to handle it.  

That’s a tough one. I just pushed lots of water and ibuprofen every four hours, and it went away. I will say, that the docs in my group are all pushing their parents and grandparents to receive it regardless of frailty. 

That said, I’ll be worrying about my dad and grandmother when they receive second dose, but also realize that getting COVID would be much worse for them in Gibson County. It’s not like we have a stellar hospital system there. 

• Thanks 1

So I think I mentioned on here that I was having 2 cervical discs replaced next week (27th) had my final with the surgeon on Friday and everything looked good.

Friday night I started getting a sore throat. Really bad this morning, and congestion and wet coughing. No fever.

I have to go to the the hospital tomorrow and get Covid tested (mandatory protocol). I don't think I have Covid, just a common cold. But I'm almost positive the surgeon won't want to do the procedure with me in this shape.

It sucks, because the last week the pain has been at times unbearable. I'll probably have to wait another 2 months to get it done.

Crappy luck...

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

5 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

I have 2 friends that had the same side effects with the Pfizer vaccine. Totally fine now, but a rough night. My wife gets her second vaccine next weekend and is taking Monday off just in case. 

My wife had her second Pfizer shot. No issues at all after 2 days. First one caused some fatigue on the first day, a couple days of arm soreness and a brain fog that lasted a week. 

FL just announced they are cracking down on vaccine tourists. 

CA last in vaccinations now

11 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I have 2 friends that had the same side effects with the Pfizer vaccine. Totally fine now, but a rough night. My wife gets her second vaccine next weekend and is taking Monday off just in case. 

That’s smart - it’s good to expect a rough night and then be pleasantly surprised when she’s totally fine.

I guess this is Covid related. Because it's in my home often I'm always fascinated by the legal trends regarding Covid terminations, etc...

Anyway guess we know what happened at UConn. 2nd case in link. Growing trend in employment law. What can employers do and not do....even in at will states. I'll take it a step further. Can employers fire employees for what's called risky behavior (social media posts, travel,etc...)

https://btlaw.com/insights/publications/covid-19-related-workplace-litigation-tracker

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I guess this is Covid related. Because it's in my home often I'm always fascinated by the legal trends regarding Covid terminations, etc...

Anyway guess we know what happened at UConn. 2nd case in link. Growing trend in employment law. What can employers do and not do....even in at will states. I'll take it a step further. Can employers fire employees for what's called risky behavior (social media posts, travel,etc...)

https://btlaw.com/insights/publications/covid-19-related-workplace-litigation-tracker

I read a couple of the case summaries.  Interesting stuff.  Legit cases mixed in with some frivolous ones.  I cant believe the ignorance of some of these employers.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

Looks like cases peaked Jan 6. Cases and hospitalizations universally down. Pfizer vaccine shown effective against the Covid variant. Chicago restaurants now opening. Have we turned the corner?

unnamed - 2021-01-21T073711.822

I certainly hope so. And I hope that UK variant doesn't take off, because that will be yet another set back. 

Hopefully we can get those vaccinated ramped up quickly. I've been reading that 100,000,000 vaccines in 100 days may sound lofty but we should be able to succeed that if we can get our act together with more vaccination sites and vaccinators. Hopefully by March it should be 100,000,000 a month. Fingers crossed. 

8 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I certainly hope so. And I hope that UK variant doesn't take off, because that will be yet another set back. 

Hopefully we can get those vaccinated ramped up quickly. I've been reading that 100,000,000 vaccines in 100 days may sound lofty but we should be able to succeed that if we can get our act together with more vaccination sites and vaccinators. Hopefully by March it should be 100,000,000 a month. Fingers crossed. 

We've hit or been over a million in a day a few times.  Not sure what was going so well Jan 11 with 1.3 mil.  https://www.statista.com/chart/23967/covid-19-vaccine-doses-administered-per-day-in-the-us/

23967.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

We've hit or been over a million in a day a few times.  Not sure what was going so well Jan 11 with 1.3 mil.  https://www.statista.com/chart/23967/covid-19-vaccine-doses-administered-per-day-in-the-us/

23967.png

Also, haven't see it on here, but if Johnson and Johnson's vaccine is granted emergency approval, that's another 100 million doses that will hit in April. And that's a one-dose vaccine, so all 100 million people who receive it will be fully vaccinated. Great news. 

• Like 3

Percentage of ICU beds in use for Covid patients in Indiana is at its lowest since 10/22.

It is interesting to note that Indiana did NOT experience a Christmas/New Years spike.  

• 7 day average of new cases peaked on 12/6
  • 7 day average of deaths peaked on 12/14
  • Hospitalizations peaked on 11/30

Little blips up immediately after Christmas and New Years can be attributed to the lack of consistent reporting in and around the holidays.  If you factor in that smaller numbers were reported on the holidays themselves, the trend was relatively flat during that time. 

Since the first week of January, all numbers have been in a steep decline.

34 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Hand sanitizer for the nose. Kills the virus and prevents it. I would use this. Great for plane trips and restaurants.

https://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com/israeli-behind-game-changing-covid-nasal-spray-says-its-99-9-effective/

I actually thought this very thing yesterday.  I rubbed some sanitizer on my hands,  It was a new bottle, so I instinctively brought my hands to my face to catch the scent.  It was such a strong scent, it watered my eyes.  i thought, wow, shove that stuff up your nose and no virus would get past that.  Nasal spray makes too much sense not to at least give it a try.

For the record, I did NOT shove the sanitizer up my nose.  But, yes.  Put it in a nasal spray, and I'm all over it.  

• Like 1

@Reacher,and @5fouls, I highly recommend being careful on this based on personal experience.  Just be careful on the types of alchohol used. Stay away from methanol. 

Worked in a microbiology lab and have had live culture salmonella and listeria splash in my face. Used ethanol and 70% isopropyl alcohol to sanitize.  Isnt a pleasant experience.  

• Like 1