Coronavirus

Reacher

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

9 employees at St. Elmo's tested positive too. Guess we all knew this would happen. You can't bring this many people from around the country into an area and not expect a spike.

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Very tragic, but I think it's ridiculous they're trying to contact trace anyone who may have been near him. Just seems like an overreaction and a waste of time. 

1 minute ago, bronkonagurski said:

Got my first shot of Moderna the other day. Within 24 hours I started feeling absolutely miserable (chills, aches, fatigue) but after a good night's sleep, doing a lot better. Whew!

Glad your feeling better quickly. One thing my wife told me and I'm not sure if it's true or not (too lazy to research it), but she said she read that people who have bad reactions to the first shot often times may have had COVID already...

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 12:34 PM, HoosierFaithful said:

That’s literally what contact tracing is..?

But it does nothing. We have had athlete, after athlete, after student, after student contact traced... and it's done absolutely nothing. My fiance is an athletic trainer and she has made 100s of kids quarantine and not one of them has came back and said they ended up with Covid.

It's only hindered the kids education and athletics, as a result. It's a complete overreach.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I understand I'm not going to agree with plenty on here, but the contact tracing has been absolutely absurd for the negative effect it's had in schools.

Thanks for sticking up for the kids. They have been wrongfully inconvenienced/ burdened/ harmed- especially the poorest and most disadvantaged who missed a whole year of school. 

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Why is this happening?

I'd love to know as well. Is it as simple as winter is over and people venturing out? Or people getting vaccinated and everyone thinks the virus just goes away? 3rd time in 2 days I've heard about Michigan. Curious myself.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'd love to know as well. Is it as simple as winter is over and people venturing out? Or people getting vaccinated and everyone thinks the virus just goes away? 3rd time in 2 days I've heard about Michigan. Curious myself.

Yeah, something is weird there. I wonder if it’s a new variant or something? 

Regarding Michigan.  A couple of theories.

• Michigan got hit hard early and locked down hard.  As a result, they are well below the national average of cases per capita.  As they have loosened restrictions (opened schools, etc.) this spike is adjusting them back to the mean.  Other states have already went through this kind of spike after the initial surge.  Michigan did not.
  • Michigan, along with New York and New Jersey were hard hit early.  Immunity from those that had the disease and recovered helped slow, but did not stop the spread of the virus.  Now, a year later, that immunity may be wearing off and the virus has a lot more sources of transmission.  Again, combined with lifting some of the restrictions, it's creating one last opportunity for the virus to spread until vaccinations really start making a difference.

The second scenario is especially concerning for other states unless we get to herd immunity sooner rather than later.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

Not surprising, I made a quick stop at the grocery last night and saw multiple people shopping without masks since the state wide mandate was lifted.  This was happening even though the store still requires masks and reminded people constantly over the intercom system.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Yeah, something is weird there. I wonder if it’s a new variant or something? 

Just read that the UK variant, which is 56% more transmissible, is now the dominant strain in the US. Maybe those states’ vaccination efforts are losing ‘the race’ against the variant. 

...just got my second jab yesterday. No side affects. 

55 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not surprising, I made a quick stop at the grocery last night and saw multiple people shopping without masks since the state wide mandate was lifted.  This was happening even though the store still requires masks and reminded people constantly over the intercom system.  

Can't speak for other parts of state but I know plenty of businesses/restaurants/bars in Indy/North Side are still saying masks even with lifted mandate.