Coronavirus

Reacher

8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I believe Indiana is in the bottom third in having people vaccinated, which is unfortunate.  I think the state is trying and doing a good job making the vaccine available.  Just too many Hoosiers are reluctant to get one.  We're even behind Kentucky.   

I am literally the only person in my family getting vaccinated. Parents, siblings, in-laws, nieces/nephews, nope. Just me. The Lone Ranger. Personal choice, okay fine. But they make it a point to talk down about the vaccine every time I see them. Not sure what response they are looking elicit but it gets old fast. I made my choice and I believe in it and feel fine about it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

In Decatur county I bet 25 percent are still wearing masks. In Marion County it's probably above 80 percent 

Purely anecdotal of course but I see more people still wearing masks now in Allen County that I expected. Seems about the same as before the mask mandate was lifted.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bronkonagurski said:

I am literally the only person in my family getting vaccinated. Parents, siblings, in-laws, nieces/nephews, nope. Just me. The Lone Ranger. Personal choice, okay fine. But they make it a point to talk down about the vaccine every time I see them. Not sure what response they are looking elicit but it gets old fast. I made my choice and I believe in it and feel fine about it.

I feel like the world would be better if people would just mind their own business.  You made a choice to get it, they didnt. Nobody should be talking down a choice someone makes for themselves.

I pretty much keep to myself and all I want is to be left alone. If this pandemic has taught me anything, being left alone is pretty much impossible at this point. 

• Thanks 1

I'm 72 and in good health. I have elected not to get the vaccine for now. At some point I may change my mind as I learn more. I respect each person's choice and believe everyone else should too. My wife elected to get the one shot option and I supported her 100%. I only have a problem when people want to criticize each individuals personal choice.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I've not very smart, but I do recall some instances early in the process, before masks, and when the numbers were not so large, and it was easy to follow the source of transmission.  There was one floor plan of a wedding reception or banquet hall where virtually everyone at the table the source was at and several people at the adjacent table to the right were infected, but no one else in the large room was,  In another example, an office floor plan was shown where the vast majority of those that caught Covid were within 6-10 feet of the source.

In other words, in a non-masked scenario I think social distancing was effective.  In a masked scenario, I have no idea.  But, if 6-10 feet was a boundary for unmasked groups, then I would think the boundary for masked groups would be even tighter.  I'm not seeing the 60 feet thing unless those people pass by each other in common areas throughout the day.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I've not very smart, but I do recall some instances early in the process, before masks, and when the numbers were not so large, and it was easy to follow the source of transmission.  There was one floor plan of a wedding reception or banquet hall where virtually everyone at the table the source was at and several people at the adjacent table to the right were infected, but no one else in the large room was,  In another example, an office floor plan was shown where the vast majority of those that caught Covid were within 6-10 feet of the source.

In other words, in a non-masked scenario I think social distancing was effective.  In a masked scenario, I have no idea.  But, if 6-10 feet was a boundary for unmasked groups, then I would think the boundary for masked groups would be even tighter.  I'm not seeing the 60 feet thing unless those people pass by each other in common areas throughout the day.

I don't know what the standards were for this study.  I remember the Amy Comey Barrett courtyard party where like 6 out of 120 people came down with it.  One of the news groups even circled the positive people on the crowd in a picture.  The positive cases were fairly spread out.  I know at some point, some had mask, many didn't.  It was deemed a super spreader.  Is 6 out of 120 really a super spreader?

I gave up a long time ago on figuring out the science, math, and facts. How can we?  Next week one study will supposedly debunk this one.  We will watch documentaries in 40 years about this time.  It will be telling.  Until then, like I did before covid.  Wash my hands after a potty and before you eat.  Stay home if you are sick.  Remember the days of you aren't contagious of anything unless you have a fever?  Long gone.  What happened to those days.  Birx said at one point, if you have so much as ate out at a restaurant in the past 2 weeks, consider yourself positive.  Huh?  Stuff like that is why so many people are telling these drs to go beep themselves.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 2

Fork it. I'm tired of hearing about masks, vaccines, social distancing, THe Science. 

I actually work for a pharmaceutical company that is producing these vaccines. My job is to make sure there is no bacterial contamination in the vaccine. 

I said from day one the response to this is about population control and got roasted for it. 

Now there is talk about vaccine passports, even if fully vaccinated you still have to wear face restrictor. Just No. 

CDC telling people what they are allowed to do?

These people are f'king stupid. 

I've been doing what I want since day one. 

When this shit started it was 2 weeks to flatten the curve, then slow the spread, then not overwhelm the hospital system.  None of that happened.  

• Thanks 2

There are so many variables that it is impossible to say who will or will not be infected. My 48 year-old daughter, who works in a nursing home, tested positive with no symptoms. Her husband and son who live with her never got COVID. I'm not dismissing the seriousness of this virus, just saying that there is a lot we still don't know about who is most vulnerable. I have been a part of several clinical studies, dry eye, and the director of those studies said she was not getting the vaccine based on the fast track nature of the process. I'm just saying that people should not be demonized for their decision, no matter what it is.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Fork it. I'm tired of hearing about masks, vaccines, social distancing, THe Science. 

I actually work for a pharmaceutical company that is producing these vaccines. My job is to make sure there is no bacterial contamination in the vaccine. 

I said from day one the response to this is about population control and got roasted for it. 

Now there is talk about vaccine passports, even if fully vaccinated you still have to wear face restrictor. Just No. 

When this shit started it was 2 weeks to flatten the curve, then slow the spread, then not overwhelm the hospital system.  None of that happened.  

7 hours ago, cthomas said:

There are so many variables that it is impossible to say who will or will not be infected. My 48 year-old daughter, who works in a nursing home, tested positive with no symptoms. Her husband and son who live with her never got COVID. I'm not dismissing the seriousness of this virus, just saying that there is a lot we still don't know about who is most vulnerable. I have been a part of several clinical studies, dry eye, and the director of those studies said she was not getting the vaccine based on the fast track nature of the process. I'm just saying that people should not be demonized for their decision, no matter what it is.

I don't see anyone on this board 'demonizing' anyone else.  Posting information or opinions regarding the benefits of the vaccine, masks, social distancing, etc. is not demonizing.   

The reality is that it's becoming evident that we're not going to reach the 80% target for vaccinations that was the goal for herd immunity.  We're simply going to have to find another way to beat the virus OR take a different approach in how we look at it.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Agree, 1000%. This has always really annoyed me. If restaurants are so important, then vaccinate the staff. All of them! 

I'm not sure about NY, but I know for a fact if you tried to force staff to get vaccinated here. You wouldn't have a business for long...  we can barely get people to work as is... our local fast food joints are always apologizing on social media for lack of staff. Or they close early, or out of the blue, middle of the day

42 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't see anyone on this board 'demonizing' anyone else.  Posting information or opinions regarding the benefits of the vaccine, masks, social distancing, etc. is not demonizing.   

The reality is that it's becoming evident that we're not going to reach the 80% target for vaccinations that was the goal for herd immunity.  We're simply going to have to find another way to beat the virus OR take a different approach in how we look at it.  

I try to have common ground on both sides of this.  My family has a bad history with vaccine reactions.  My grandfather's neurologist told my mom's side of the family to never get a vaccine again after his reaction to a flu shot.  I won't go into details but he was a perfectly healthy man that in 2 years time died a sad slow death fighting ALS.  I am in no way shape or form blaming the vaccine.  I wasn't there, didn't hear the conversation for myself and there is a lot of emotion wrapped around the entire circumstance.  Then we have my downs nephew that had a horrible reaction to his first shot and my mil that is a chronic covid sufferer, also had a horrible experience from the 1st shot.  I was able to get the shot early along with health care workers.  Many people I know got it early and knowing 1200 firefighters, I've heard some stories I won't share here.  

Saying all that.  I pretty much stay away from this thread because it has taken a you're an idiot if you don't get the vaccine stance, even if no one has flat out said that.  

I'll continue to wash my hands after I go potty and before I eat.  I'll continue to stay home if I'm sick because I was taught my entire life, you are most contagious when you have a fever.  Science, math, and facts are subject to emotion, personal experience, and even personal preference.  

I love you all, my imaginary, internet friends.  Stay healthy.  Eat healthy, work out.  Place your mental health as a priority.  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I'm not sure about NY, but I know for a fact if you tried to force staff to get vaccinated here. You wouldn't have a business for long...  we can barely get people to work as is... our local fast food joints are always apologizing on social media for lack of staff. Or they close early, or out of the blue, middle of the day

58 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I agree with you 100%.  But do any of us really trust what our gov't tells us to do?

37 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Agree, 1000%. This has always really annoyed me. If restaurants are so important, then vaccinate the staff. All of them! 

Looking back, I'm surprised people working in the food industry weren't wearing masks to begin with.  I'm a spitter when I talk.  Here's your food, spitiscpif.  Opps sorry.  

I will never stand for a forced vaccine.  But I will respectfully disagree.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Sorry, I actually should have said “offer the vaccine” to all of them. You can’t force people to take this vaccine. You can’t even do that in the military. 

I just meant that the restaurant staff and all front workers should have been first in line for the vaccine. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Looking back, I'm surprised people working in the food industry weren't wearing masks to begin with.  I'm a spitter when I talk.  Here's your food, spitiscpif.  Opps sorry.  

I will never stand for a forced vaccine.  But I will respectfully disagree.  

Yeah, I didn’t word that right. As I said above, they should have been offered the vaccine if they were being forced to work.  Restaurant work is hard as it is and the pay sucks.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Yeah, I didn’t word that right. As I said above, they should have been offered the vaccine if they were being forced to work.  Restaurant work is hard as it is and the pay sucks.

In Indiana, we are about 3 weeks in of available to all that wants it can get it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Can't everyone over 16 get it now

Pretty sure that's been the case since around April 1st so I guess we're looking at almost a full month.  For the most part everyone that wanted it has gotten it.  That's why Indiana department of health sent out that mass text and has been making such a big deal on the news and caused an uproar for doing the mass text.  

I saw an argument that vaccinated people should not have to wear a mask and that would be an incentive to go get vaccinated. What does the science, math, and facts say? According to the spokesperson for the health department something like .00something% of vaccinated people were being infected.  So are we following the science and math and facts

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I’m sure this is no surprise to you buddy, but I disagree on so many levels here just because it lacks perspective IMO.

1. The CDC is making recommendations based off of the science available to them at the time. I say ‘at the time’ because everything about the behavior of the virus was unknown a little more than a year ago. Information and learning changes and evolves. 

2. Sure there’s ‘talk’ of vaccine passports but there has been no action. And I doubt there will be any governmental action. Vaccine passports are the boogie man right now. In fact, the government has done a lot to incentivize and inform about vaccines so they can avoid a passport scenario because they know any legislation to require it will not fly in this country. As I stated above West Virginia is giving people $100 to get vaccinated. 

2B. If the private industry is going to require any type of passport then that is their decision and has nothing to do with the ‘government controlling the population’ narrative. If that infringes on your rights then maybe we need to think about how corporations are treated as people in this country and the legislation/Court rulings that go along with that. Not taking a side or starting a debate on this particular issue, but like free speech, it cuts both ways, whether it’s a baker refusing to make a gay wedding cake or Costco requiring masks. If a business is going to require vaccination, prior rulings dictate that the government can’t do anything to reverse this requirement. Like it or hate it, that’s just the way it is.  

3. I’m sorry but government controlling the people through mask wearing is the silliest thing I’ve ever heard of. I’m sure there are cloaked villains behind closed doors saying: you know what a great idea is? Let’s make people wear masks. This will show them how much control we have. WAHAHAHAHA. It just seems so far fetched. I have no problem criticizing the government for over-reaching, but given the circumstances, and how just about every other country handles prevention is a similar manner, accusing them of population control is so far off the mark. I guess, somehow our government convinced every other country to do the same thing and paid off all these infectious disease experts to give bad advice? The same government who can’t even find a way to pass legislation that has 90% support amongst constituents?

......Perhaps it’s giving people an antagonist to vent their frustration towards. I don’t know. 

4. The New York hospital systems were on the brink of getting overwhelmed. They were using refrigerated trucks as make-shift morgues. That is a normal occurrence? The healthcare system in India IS getting overwhelmed right now. Perhaps the preventative measures is a reason why we didn’t fall into the abyss. Are you suggesting that if no preventative measures were put in place (trade shows and sporting events were still allowed to happen, maskless gathering indoors, etc.) nothing would be different? That we would be in a similar or better place?

5. The curve did flatten. It has flattened and went down many times. From the very beginning scientists predicted that the infection rate was going to be cyclical: complacency would lead to rising cases, the reigns would be tightened, cases would fall, rinse and then repeat...until we have a vaccine. 

• Like 2

Long time lurker, 1st time post.  Honesty up front. I am a Purdue fan, wife IU fan.  I can root for either team when not playing each other.  Been following this board for a long time just to keep up with the sport and such.  Anyway, back to original topic.  I was diagnosed with Covid back around Thanksgiving. Needless to say it has been he!! ever since. My symptoms consisted of rapid pulse and high blood pressure, dizziness, balance issues, and lower body fatigue in both legs. Almost felt like I was walking through 3' of snow or heavy mud for miles. I was in bed for 6 weeks but never did have shortness of breath, fever, or any kind of body aches.  To this day I still have trouble with fatigue and balance issues. I have had basically every test out there, from MRI of brain to CT scans, to bloodwork, to echo of heart and so on.  Everything has come back normal for my age, 46.  PreCovid I was on a minimal dose of BP medicine and was active and felt great.  I am doing Physical Therapy twice a week to try and "train" my brain back with my eyes for balance and whatever else.  I still do not know what to think about the whole virus thing.  My wife got it at the same time and barely had sniffles for 2 days and was perfectly fine.  Me, I am still having issues 5-6 months later with no answers in sight.  I have missed a bunch of my daughters High School sports these past few months and it really wears on me.  Long story short, I have no clue what to think about the vaccine, the virus, and everything else the experts talk about, but I do know one thing, I basically had a life changing illness that has affected my life.  Sorry for 1st long post, but it has sucked!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Sad 1