Coronavirus

Reacher

4 minutes ago, JW75 said:

Long time lurker, 1st time post.  Honesty up front. I am a Purdue fan, wife IU fan.  I can root for either team when not playing each other.  Been following this board for a long time just to keep up with the sport and such.  Anyway, back to original topic.  I was diagnosed with Covid back around Thanksgiving. Needless to say it has been he!! ever since. My symptoms consisted of rapid pulse and high blood pressure, dizziness, balance issues, and lower body fatigue in both legs. Almost felt like I was walking through 3' of snow or heavy mud for miles. I was in bed for 6 weeks but never did have shortness of breath, fever, or any kind of body aches.  To this day I still have trouble with fatigue and balance issues. I have had basically every test out there, from MRI of brain to CT scans, to bloodwork, to echo of heart and so on.  Everything has come back normal for my age, 46.  PreCovid I was on a minimal dose of BP medicine and was active and felt great.  I am doing Physical Therapy twice a week to try and "train" my brain back with my eyes for balance and whatever else.  I still do not know what to think about the whole virus thing.  My wife got it at the same time and barely had sniffles for 2 days and was perfectly fine.  Me, I am still having issues 5-6 months later with no answers in sight.  I have missed a bunch of my daughters High School sports these past few months and it really wears on me.  Long story short, I have no clue what to think about the vaccine, the virus, and everything else the experts talk about, but I do know one thing, I basically had a life changing illness that has affected my life.  Sorry for 1st long post, but it has sucked!!!!

Welcome to the board and sorry you are going through all of that and I hope you feel better soon! Hang in there. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JW75 said:

Long time lurker, 1st time post.  Honesty up front. I am a Purdue fan, wife IU fan.  I can root for either team when not playing each other.  Been following this board for a long time just to keep up with the sport and such.  Anyway, back to original topic.  I was diagnosed with Covid back around Thanksgiving. Needless to say it has been he!! ever since. My symptoms consisted of rapid pulse and high blood pressure, dizziness, balance issues, and lower body fatigue in both legs. Almost felt like I was walking through 3' of snow or heavy mud for miles. I was in bed for 6 weeks but never did have shortness of breath, fever, or any kind of body aches.  To this day I still have trouble with fatigue and balance issues. I have had basically every test out there, from MRI of brain to CT scans, to bloodwork, to echo of heart and so on.  Everything has come back normal for my age, 46.  PreCovid I was on a minimal dose of BP medicine and was active and felt great.  I am doing Physical Therapy twice a week to try and "train" my brain back with my eyes for balance and whatever else.  I still do not know what to think about the whole virus thing.  My wife got it at the same time and barely had sniffles for 2 days and was perfectly fine.  Me, I am still having issues 5-6 months later with no answers in sight.  I have missed a bunch of my daughters High School sports these past few months and it really wears on me.  Long story short, I have no clue what to think about the vaccine, the virus, and everything else the experts talk about, but I do know one thing, I basically had a life changing illness that has affected my life.  Sorry for 1st long post, but it has sucked!!!!

I would never wish this on any Purdue fan.....or anybody in general of course. :)

Just hate to hear about experiences like this. I hope you get better soon and get some answers. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, JW75 said:

Yes, welcome...

My wife and I both had it back in January...Both of us felt pretty poorly for 3 weeks...Yes, it does suck...

But we have the conflict in our own house...I'm getting my first Moderna shot Monday because I'd take 20 shots not to feel that way again, and my wife refuses to even consider getting the shot because of her distrust of this particular vaccine...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JW75 said:

Thanks for sharing. Praying that your health is restored to its previous state and even better. I know 2 people from our church that are having some of the same issues and one gets sidelined for days at a time with severe vertigo. Thoughts and prayers on their way.

• Like 1

Thanks a bunch to all you guys/gals.  My wife still has the antibodies as of last week and is still up in the air on getting the vaccine. Me, I'm still a little hesitant on how I will react.......... Just the unknown for us.  Thanks again to you all.

• Like 1

The Fort Wayne Tincaps recently released their guidelines for the upcoming season (which would have already started by now, but alas, Covid). They include:

--masks must be worn at all times, unless eating or drinking

--people must sit in groups of 1-6, with at least 6 feet between all "pods" of people

--no cash transactions allowed, credit cards only (the "cashless society" conspiracy theorists are losing their sh*t over that one)

I usually go to a game or two each year, but I won't be going until those rules are scrapped. Masking at an outdoor event where people are required to be spread apart anyway is silly and counterproductive, and cashless transactions just seems like overkill. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JW75 said:

Thoughts and prayers going your way.  My wife was diagnosed AFTER her first shot, but before her second.  She had no symptoms prior to the shot, but must have been exposed shortly before or shortly after.  She has been able to get the second shot, but the virus hit her pretty hard.  I like to think that the first shot offered some protection and may have been what kept her out of the hospital.  I was fully vaccinated when she got sick (I did the one shot J&J) and did not catch it from her.  She is still having some fatigue issues, and is complaining about memory lapses that she did not have before.   

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Thoughts and prayers going your way.  My wife was diagnosed AFTER her first shot, but before her second.  She had no symptoms prior to the shot, but must have been exposed shortly before or shortly after.  She has been able to get the second shot, but the virus hit her pretty hard.  I like to think that the first shot offered some protection and may have been what kept her out of the hospital.  I was fully vaccinated when she got sick (I did the one shot J&J) and did not catch it from her.  She is still having some fatigue issues, and is complaining about memory lapses that she did not have before.   

Prayers for her too.  Definitely understand, crazy the different affects from person to person.

• Thanks 1

Analysis piece on India's current status.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/29/india/india-covid-crisis-world-problem/index.html

This paragraph is why it is important to us, even though the numbers in the U.S. have improved.  

The more the virus spreads, the more chances it has to mutate and create variants that could eventually resist current vaccines, threatening to undermine other countries' progress in containing the pandemic, experts warn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Sorry to hear about your wife. Hoping for a full recovery soon.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Analysis piece on India's current status.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/29/india/india-covid-crisis-world-problem/index.html

This paragraph is why it is important to us, even though the numbers in the U.S. have improved.  

The more the virus spreads, the more chances it has to mutate and create variants that could eventually resist current vaccines, threatening to undermine other countries' progress in containing the pandemic, experts warn.

The problem is it spreads even after you take the vaccine, and it is going to have variants regardless. Just like the flu and flu shots...  we are chasing this thing down a deep rabbit hole I'm afraid.  

2 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

The problem is it spreads even after you take the vaccine, and it is going to have variants regardless. Just like the flu and flu shots...  we are chasing this thing down a deep rabbit hole I'm afraid.  

Agreed.  I'm pretty certain we are dealing with a long term seasonal threat (like the flu, but currently more serious).  I'm not seeing a smallpox type eradication in our future.

Edited by 5fouls

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Agreed.  I'm pretty certain we are dealing with a long term seasonal threat (like the flu, but currently more serious).  I'm not seeing a smallpox type eradication in our future.

Agreed. I think we are going to be with this thing for some time. Poorer countries are not being vaccinated at a decent rate and that will backfire on the whole world.

It’s astonishing that something that should be so simple to eradicate has become such a problem for so many countries. 

42 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

This is still unknown. Some recent preliminary studies are actually finding that vaccinated actually have a lower risk of spreading it, but they are incomplete and do not to what degree. A new study is under way, which I read abut a few weeks ago and this article does a good job at explaining the process: https://www.livescience.com/moderna-covid-19-vaccine-college-trial-transmission.html

4 hours ago, JW75 said:

Thank you for sharing your story! Hopefully some of those who are reluctant to get vaccinated will read it and get the vaccine. 

30 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Biology question. Does a virus need a host to live in order to mutate. It just can't mutate in the air, can it? 

If this is the case, fewer hosts to inhabit would decrease the chances of mutation, right? 

Yes, a virus needs a host to survive and replicate.  It uses the host cell DNA to make copies of the viruses sequence.

Mutations occur when there are errors during replication.  DNA has the ability to proofread, where most RNA viruses dont so mutation rates are higher in RNA viruses.  

Fewer hosts would decrease the viruses chance of survival but wouldn't stop mutations from happening but I would imagine it would slow mutation rates down. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Please explain why vaccinated people should wear masks? Makes no sense in light of the SCIENCE. 

"The emerging data confirms what many of us thought would be the case—that not only do the vaccines stop symptomatic COVID, but they also make it highly unlikely that someone can even be infected at all.

I think the preponderance of the evidence supports the fact that vaccinated individuals are not able to spread the virus."

https://www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/articles/new-data-on-covid-19-transmission-by-vaccinated-individuals.html

On 4/29/2021 at 7:33 AM, Lostin76 said:

Agree, 1000%. This has always really annoyed me. If restaurants are so important, then vaccinate the staff. All of them! 

I'm catching up on this thread after being gone for a bit. I believe thousands of restaurant/bar owners missed a wonderful window of business. Fully vaccinated staff,etc....people would be amazed (whether people agree or not on vaccine) how many people are sitting on the sidelines but would definitely go to a restaurant with this in place. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 9:40 AM, JW75 said:

Welcome to the board! Hopefully recovery goes well for you. Sadly....there are so many people just like you but the issue of covid/vaccine or not has gotten so out of hand nobody believes anything anymore. 

Welcome again and hope you get back to normal. 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Welcome to the board! Hopefully recovery goes well for you. Sadly....there are so many people just like you but the issue of covid/vaccine or not has gotten so out of hand nobody believes anything anymore. 

Welcome again and hope you get back to normal. 

Appreciate it. And yes I know I am not in this battle alone.  The more Dr visits I go to, the more and more people I see are struggling with a broad range of issues.

• Like 2

I'm a big reader.  A few years ago, I read Ken Follet's 'World Without End'.  Now, it was a work of fiction, but it was a deeply researched historical piece.  One of the main storylines in the book was the town, and the world around it, dealing with the Plague. I'm trying to relate what happened in that time to what we are going through now with Covid.  One thing that strikes me is that, even with no modern advances in medicines available, and amid unsanitary conditions compare to what we have now, many people. even those within the same household, did not get sick and did not die.  

I bring that up to discuss Natural Immunity,.  Is it inherent in some people without them ever becoming infected?  Or, to have any immunity at all, does someone have to become infected, and simply be lucky enough to have the ability to fight it off with few or no impacts? 

It's hard for me to imagine at this point that 90% or more of the world's population has not been exposed to the virus at some point.  Just like in the middle ages, when the husband caught the plague and died, but the wife didn't, there is no way in the conditions of that time that she was not exposed.  The plague was known to take 5 of the same family, but spare 1 or 2.  Why?