Coronavirus

Reacher

31 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Honest question.  What does everyone expect from this vaccine?

My goals:

• If I, or someone I love, catches Covid, the symptoms are reduced. In Indiana alone, about 700 people in my age bracket (50-59) have died with Covid.  I still have kids in high school that need their dad.  I lost my dad my sophomore year in college.  But, my younger brother was only 6 at the time.  Then my brother died when his kids were 11 and 9.  I've seen what early and unexpected death can do to kids.  I don't want mine to go through that just because I was too stubborn to get a little shot. 
  • That vaccinations will help society open up faster

For me, those two things alone make it worth the hour or so it took me to receive the vaccine.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

My goals:

• If I, or someone I love, catches Covid, the symptoms are reduced. In Indiana alone, about 700 people in my age bracket (50-59) have died with Covid.  I still have kids in high school that need their dad.  I lost my dad my sophomore year in college.  But, my younger brother was only 6 at the time.  Then my brother died when his kids were 11 and 9.  I've seen what early and unexpected death can do to kids.  I don't want mine to go through that just because I was too stubborn to get a little shot. 
  • That vaccinations will help society open up faster

For me, those two things alone make it worth the hour or so it took me to receive the vaccine.

I asked because my new job is making sure the environment this vaccine is produced in is clean and free of bacterial contamination.  And I take it very seriously.

I was 21 when I lost my dad. Held his hand as he passed, felt the life leave his body. I'm 36 now. A profound experience.  

I was born in 85, my brother and sisters were born in the early mid 90's. I got a hard time from my parents for not spending time with them. I'm like yo, I'm starting college when they are freshman, sophomore in high school.🤷‍♂️

Edited by mrflynn03

12 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

My Mother, who resides in assisted living, and I are both fully vaccinated (me Pfizer, she Moderna). Due to that, I’ll be able to fly to Indiana and see her for the first time since March of last year. Also, my wife and I are able to go out and be more social. It’s a relief for both of us. My wife will travel to see her family next month.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I just want to do everything that I can to protect Ayden. God gave him to us to protect and 11 years ago we were told he would only have 6 months to live if all went well We serve an amazing GOD and he decided differently and entrusted us to do what we feels is best for Ayden. I want some piece of mind and to stop worrying every time he gets a cough or runny nose or a bad headache. This vaccine might not give me those because we have been through so much but a little piece of mind would be much appreciated. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Reacher said:
  • Russia and Australia have the highest rates of vaccine skepticism with 54 and 42 percent either unwilling or uncertain, respectively.

I know Russian’s have a high amount of skepticism about all medications as there are so many cases of fake medications! Also, Moderna, J&J and Phizer are not available there!

Admittedly I'm more on the conservative side of things when it comes to the virus. If that's my worst mistake during the last 14 months I'm fine with that. Ordered some takeout last night from new restaurant in Carmel Monterey Cuisine. Walked into to get it and it was wall to wall no masks. That is going to take some time getting used to again. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Admittedly I'm more on the conservative side of things when it comes to the virus. If that's my worst mistake during the last 14 months I'm fine with that. Ordered some takeout last night from new restaurant in Carmel Monterey Cuisine. Walked into to get it and it was wall to wall no masks. That is going to take some time getting used to again. 

We are similar. We have stated to try to remember to go maskless (keeping it on wrist or in pocket for going into place) while walking outdoors, but it’s kind of a weird feeling here. Probably 60-70 of the people still are wearing masks while out and about. I think Brooklyn is very much “one for all” to protect each other, so when you would see maskless people, you immediately thought a**hole or careless pr*ck. Now I feel like one of those. 

But I do think we are fine outdoors walking around without if you are vaccinated. What is NOT going to change here immediately is masks indoors. Too many people remember the bad old days of 24/7 sirens and refrigerated trucks outside of morgues and hospitals. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I just want to do everything that I can to protect Ayden. God gave him to us to protect and 11 years ago we were told he would only have 6 months to live if all went well We serve an amazing GOD and he decided differently and entrusted us to do what we feels is best for Ayden. I want some piece of mind and to stop worrying every time he gets a cough or runny nose or a bad headache. This vaccine might not give me those because we have been through so much but a little piece of mind would be much appreciated. 

I should have phrased it better. My intention for asking the question was if getting vaccine will give people comfort. I'm involved in the production of these vaccines.  

I spent alot of my working life feeling useless, but my new job I feel gives me purpose. First time in my life I wake up and actually want to go to work. Imagine work being kinda fun. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I sat with a very interesting couple tonight at my cousin's rehearsal dinner.  They are both young and healthy nurses in the hospital down here in Texas.  What they told me was wild.  Heart breaking.  Day to day changes.  Patients going from perfectly stable to nearly coding or going into respiratory failure in 20 mins time.  That went on for 2-3 hard months.  Treatments that were working last week quit working the next week.  Everything about the virus and how different people were reacting was totally different.  They said the media is total BS to reality on a covid floor.  They were an open book.  She was working 14 days on 2 days off, 12-15 hour shifts.  His load wasn't as crazy but close.  They were selected to work the covid floor because they were young and healthy.  

Now they said when they do get a covid patient the severity is way less. 

They did wind up hospitalizing some of their own.  She never got it but he did.  

We could have kept talked but they started taking pictures and everyone started leaving.  

They said the hardest part was not allowing family in and then they started doing 15 min, 1 family member visit when they knew the writing was on the wall.  I didn't ask how many died there but they talked about doing cpr and intubating multiple patients a day for weeks at the peak.  

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I should have phrased it better. My intention for asking the question was if getting vaccine will give people comfort. I'm involved in the production of these vaccines.  

I spent alot of my working life feeling useless, but my new job I feel gives me purpose. First time in my life I wake up and actually want to go to work. Imagine work being kinda fun. 

It gives me a lot of comfort to fully vaccinated. Comfort and hope.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I am glad to hear that. What you are doing means the world to my family. I thank GOD everyday for all the people that have worked hard not only in dealing with COVID vaccine and treating patients but everyone that makes it possible for kids like Ayden to live and have a great life.

When you have seen you child in the hospital for weeks at a time over a common cold or the flu COVID becomes your biggest fear. The vaccine does give me great comfort.  I do understand that nothing is perfect but it puts us in a better place. If the vaccine helps get things closer to normal for me that's just a giant bonus. 

Thank you for what you do!! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I sat with a very interesting couple tonight at my cousin's rehearsal dinner.  They are both young and healthy nurses in the hospital down here in Texas.  What they told me was wild.  Heart breaking.  Day to day changes.  Patients going from perfectly stable to nearly coding or going into respiratory failure in 20 mins time.  That went on for 2-3 hard months.  Treatments that were working last week quit working the next week.  Everything about the virus and how different people were reacting was totally different.  They said the media is total BS to reality on a covid floor.  They were an open book.  She was working 14 days on 2 days off, 12-15 hour shifts.  His load wasn't as crazy but close.  They were selected to work the covid floor because they were young and healthy.  

Now they said when they do get a covid patient the severity is way less. 

They did wind up hospitalizing some of their own.  She never got it but he did.  

We could have kept talked but they started taking pictures and everyone started leaving.  

They said the hardest part was not allowing family in and then they started doing 15 min, 1 family member visit when they knew the writing was on the wall.  I didn't ask how many died there but they talked about doing cpr and intubating multiple patients a day for weeks at the peak.  

Wow, thanks for sharing!