Coronavirus

Reacher

29 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

In order for us to board our flight back to JFK from Milan on Monday at 11am, we had to have a negative COVID test. We were able to fly to Italy by showing our vaccination status, but we still had to have a negative test in Italy no more than three days before our boarding time of 11am on Monday. AND we had to upload the negative test result four hours before our 11am flight. Which is fun in a country ntly that shuts down for three hours every afternoon and takes their weekends very seriously. 

But the idiotic three day rule meant we had to wait until Friday to get a test. So, Friday morning as we were leaving our place In Tuscany we found a lab that was offering COVID tests w/o appointments or referrals - that was NOT easy. My wife and I know two dozen words in Italian between us. We stood in line at the lab and then finally when it was out turn, we got our forms and stumbled through filling them out. They knew we were idiot tourists, so they made us stand aside while actual Italians with appointments were taken care of. Then they made us fill out more forms. We got the test (160 euros) and they sent us on our way pointing to a website on the form to check for results. 

We checked the website all day and nothing. Then we used Google translate to figure out that test results were guaranteed by noon on Monday - an hour after our flight boards. My wife was in full on panic mode. We were heading to Lake Como for our last days and figured out that we could get rapid tests at the Milan airport over the weekend. But by that point, she had a bad sore throat and headache, totally convinced that she had COVID and would be required to stay in Italy for another 10-14 days. 

I told her we would wait until Saturday morning for our results and if they didn’t come through we would drive to the Milan airport for rapid tests. By that point, even I was sweating it. Luckily we got a text shortly after midnight with our negative test results! 

We were careful in Italy, which was easy b/c they take COVID very seriously. Absolutely no entry anywhere indoors w/o masks, but all of our dining was outdoors anyway. Did have a couple interesting conversations with people about the US response to COVID and vaccinations. They seemed gobsmacked by our response to COVID. 

I'm gobsmacked too.  

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Americans better get ready to pull those masks back out.

I like how my coworker put it this morning “wearing a mask to prevent COVID is like putting a fish net over your head to prevent mosquito bites “

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

In order for us to board our flight back to JFK from Milan on Monday at 11am, we had to have a negative COVID test. We were able to fly to Italy by showing our vaccination status, but we still had to have a negative test in Italy no more than three days before our boarding time of 11am on Monday. AND we had to upload the negative test result four hours before our 11am flight. Which is fun in a country ntly that shuts down for three hours every afternoon and takes their weekends very seriously. 

But the idiotic three day rule meant we had to wait until Friday to get a test. So, Friday morning as we were leaving our place In Tuscany we found a lab that was offering COVID tests w/o appointments or referrals - that was NOT easy. My wife and I know two dozen words in Italian between us. We stood in line at the lab and then finally when it was out turn, we got our forms and stumbled through filling them out. They knew we were idiot tourists, so they made us stand aside while actual Italians with appointments were taken care of. Then they made us fill out more forms. We got the test (160 euros) and they sent us on our way pointing to a website on the form to check for results. 

We checked the website all day and nothing. Then we used Google translate to figure out that test results were guaranteed by noon on Monday - an hour after our flight boards. My wife was in full on panic mode. We were heading to Lake Como for our last days and figured out that we could get rapid tests at the Milan airport over the weekend. But by that point, she had a bad sore throat and headache, totally convinced that she had COVID and would be required to stay in Italy for another 10-14 days. 

I told her we would wait until Saturday morning for our results and if they didn’t come through we would drive to the Milan airport for rapid tests. By that point, even I was sweating it. Luckily we got a text shortly after midnight with our negative test results! 

We were careful in Italy, which was easy b/c they take COVID very seriously. Absolutely no entry anywhere indoors w/o masks, but all of our dining was outdoors anyway. Did have a couple interesting conversations with people about the US response to COVID and vaccinations. They seemed gobsmacked by our response to COVID. 

Glad you were able to get home and Covid free. Not sure if it's still the same but my friend's wife had an issue in Mexico in May. Forced to stay a little longer.....almost quarantine status at ocean front resort. Not fun. We've got trips we definitely want to take but won't be crossing the pond anytime soon.....specifically because of the stuff you had to deal with.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I like how my coworker put it this morning “wearing a mask to prevent COVID is like putting a fish net over your head to prevent mosquito bites “

Yeah...unless you're wearing the N95, masks will prevent very little infection and cloth masks are particularly useless.  That's obvious from how this virus spreads.  I guess mandating them makes politicians feel useful and powerful. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Glad you were able to get home and Covid free. Not sure if it's still the same but my friend's wife had an issue in Mexico in May. Forced to stay a little longer.....almost quarantine status at ocean front resort. Not fun. We've got trips we definitely want to take but won't be crossing the pond anytime soon.....specifically because of the stuff you had to deal with.

I think it’s the same for US citizens regardless of the country. That was our fear - forced to have to stay and fork out extra dollars for lodging for 10-14 days! It was a bit of a pain to get the test in a foreign country and almost made me think, “Well, maybe we shouldn’t have did this trip.” When we booked it, the Delta variant wasn’t really a thing. It looked like we were about to beat COVID. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Well that didn’t last long, tomorrow at work we go back to the mask mandate even for us vaccinated ☹️

12 members of The Washington Nationals organization, including 4 players, have tested positive.  First report is that 11 of the 12 were vaccinated.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not to be personal but what part of the country are you in? Just curious. 

Wow do you live in an overturned bucket?😂
I’ve stated many times I live in rural Georgia!

Work however is in an upscale city just south of Hartsfield. It’s known as a Delta town!

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

12 members of The Washington Nationals organization, including 4 players, have tested positive.  First report is that 11 of the 12 were vaccinated.

It’s seems well known that breakthrough cases are real, but how many were actually experiencing symptoms? Probably because they were on some mandatory testing protocol they were found otherwise they probably would have never known.

I understand that vaccinated can catch and spread Covid, but I got vaccinated so I could take my mask off! Just because those who are choosing to not get vaccinated are at risk? Kind of like saying I need to stop driving to work because I might get in an accident with an unlicensed driver 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Wow do you live in an overturned bucket?😂
I’ve stated many times I live in rural Georgia!

Work however is in an upscale city just south of Hartsfield. It’s known as a Delta town!

I rarely pay attention to poster history. Sorry! I read and agree/disagree....and move along.

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Pray for my Sister, and her husband, my Brother in law is in ICU on a ventilator and intubation with a feeding tube. 

They both had it, my sister recovered but her husband is in ICU. They just recently got married.  

Damn. Hoping for the best, for sure. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Pray for my Sister, and her husband, my Brother in law is in ICU on a ventilator and intubation with a feeding tube. 

They both had it, my sister recovered but her husband is in ICU. They just recently got married.  

Prayers going out.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Thoughts and prayers

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Prayers!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Hate to hear that. Hoping for the best. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Special prayer this morning for your BIL and your whole family

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Sorry to hear this and I hope he is able to recover soon.

• Thanks 1