Coronavirus

Reacher

1 hour ago, CampHoosier said:

Lost an unvaccinated former coworker today. He went from sick and posting about it on Facebook last Thursday to testing positive in the hospital Saturday and pronounced dead this morning. Wife and 3 kids. 34 years old. Wife briefly hospitalized but apparently doing a bit better now. She is 29 almost 30. Be smart everyone. 

What can you say?  I mean, people are going to listen and believe what they choose, right?  You pass on the vaccine and this is a real possibility.  You have to decide how you feel about the risk.  Those dying from covid now are mostly the unvaccinated.  It's that simple.  Very sad.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 1:46 PM, 5fouls said:

I disagree with the premise that masks do not work.  Are they 100% effective?  No, of course not.  But, if you put an unmasked infected person on an elevator with ten unmasked people for 2 minutes, and then put that same infected person, but now masked, on a different elevator with 10 masked people for 2 minutes, do you truly believe the INITIAL spread will be the same.

Not long ago, there was a surgical mask study where markers were placed inside of these surgical masks and these markers ended up inside of the surgical wound.  Unless someone is coughing snotwads on you, most masks do virtually nothing to stop the spread of a microscopic virus.

• Like 4

Are there any studies showing whether people that have had COVID and therefore have natural immunity are getting reinfected with these breakthrough cases? At the same rate as the vaccinated? It seems to reason that natural immunity may be stronger than the vaccines. 

Also, when will antibody tests suffice in lieu of vaccinations? The fact that this continues to be ignored raises troubling questions

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Also, when will antibody tests suffice in lieu of vaccinations? The fact that this continues to be ignored raises troubling questions

For the federal workers, no...

That question was asked on a telcon I was on yesterday...

You either get the vaccination or you have to wear a mask at all times indoors and get tested twice a week...

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Reacher said:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33742540/

This is not an invitation to hear about your personal experiences with this @5fouls and @bluegrassIU  😁

You just found the key to getting half the world's population to get vaccinated.

"Studies show COVID vaccines can help prevent limp noodle syndrome"

Every male on the planet would be vaccinated in a week. 🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Reacher said:

Are there any studies showing whether people that have had COVID and therefore have natural immunity are getting reinfected with these breakthrough cases? At the same rate as the vaccinated? It seems to reason that natural immunity may be stronger than the vaccines. 

There was a study last summer that studied breakthrough cases amongst the re-infected - this was before vaccines were available. In most cases it found that people who got COVID a second time had very mild cases the first time - they had less antibodies in their system than a person who had a severe case. 

Therefore, the question you are asking does not have a clear cut answer.

At least that’s how I understood it. Vaccines develop a somewhat consistent amount of antibodies per shot. The amount of natural antibodies resulting from a COVID infection vary greatly, depending on severity. Therefore, they can’t really be compared in an ‘apples to apples’ sort of way. 

Amongst the reinfected, people who’ve had severe bouts may not need the vaccine as much as a person with a mild and/or a symptomatic infection. All that said, I don’t believe there are any studies with clear cut answers (just theories) because there are too many variables to consider. 

This article references that study: https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2020/12/study-identifies-difference-between-severe-and-mild-covid-19.html

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

There was a study last summer that studied breakthrough cases amongst the re-infected - this was before vaccines were available. In most cases it found that people who got COVID a second time had very mild cases the first time - they had less antibodies in their system than a person who had a severe case. 

Therefore, the question you are asking does not have a clear cut answer.

At least that’s how I understood it. Vaccines develop a somewhat consistent amount of antibodies per shot. The amount of natural antibodies resulting from a COVID infection vary greatly, depending on severity. Therefore, they can’t really be compared in an ‘apples to apples’ sort of way. 

Amongst the reinfected, people who’ve had severe bouts may not need the vaccine as much as a person with a mild and/or a symptomatic infection. All that said, I don’t believe there are any studies with clear cut answers (just theories) because there are too many variables to consider. 

This article references that study: https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2020/12/study-identifies-difference-between-severe-and-mild-covid-19.html

I'll add this...

I had it and was down 3 weeks...took the vaccination (Moderna 2 shots 4 weeks apart) and the day after both shots I felt almost as bad as the worst day when I did have it...

Dr said that was a good sign (easy for him to say) I had antibodies + to fight a reinfection...

But it did suck...

Edited by IUFLA

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I'll add this...

I had it and was down 3 weeks...took the vaccination (Moderna 2 shots 4 weeks apart) and the day after both shots I felt almost as bad as the worst day when I did have it...

Dr said that was a good sign (easy for him to say) I had antibodies + to fight a reinfection...

But it did suck...

Symptoms from the vaccines seem to range all over the place.  My wife had the Moderna shots, and the 2nd one made her feel like she had a bad cold for about a day, plus noticeable swelling in her entire upper arm.  I had the Pfizer shots and with both, the only issue I had was that my shoulder felt like I pitched a 9 inning complete game the next day. No swelling though.  Wasn't pleasant, but wasn't anything Advil couldn't take care of. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Symptoms from the vaccines seem to range all over the place.  My wife had the Moderna shots, and the 2nd one made her feel like she had a bad cold for about a day, plus noticeable swelling in her entire upper arm.  I had the Pfizer shots and with both, the only issue I had was that my shoulder felt like I pitched a 9 inning complete game the next day. No swelling though.  Wasn't pleasant, but wasn't anything Advil couldn't take care of. 

I got Pfizer,  my experience was identical to yours. My shoulder hurt at a higher level than anticipated, for about 24 hours. But beyond that, nothing.

• Like 2

My dad is 62. Has high blood pressure,  diabetic, and a little over weight.  He caught covid from church, 3 weeks after a triple bypass.  He took the test 3 times because he thought they were false positive.  His symptoms were some night sweats. Same as I experienced last year ( I did not test positive,  but took the test 9 days after first symptoms).  His doctors advised him not to take the vaccine... 

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Amazon is building a distribution or fulfillment center in Ft. Wayne. When this was being proposed, they submitted to the county council, but did not reveal who was wanting to build the facility. Instead, they called it the "Mastodon Project", named after the mascot of PFW. They asked that a TIF be created for the build out, and were given something like $10 million in tax breaks. After they were approved, they went back to the council asking for another tax break on equipment--to the tune of over another $7 million. This one was turned down, in part because it was requested after the project had been approved, and in part because their business model,  which promises to bring thousands of jobs to the area, consists of low paying, high turnover positions. Good for the council in turning this down.

As a result, Amazon has announced that the construction of said facility is now delayed until further notice.