Coronavirus

Reacher

29 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply that you were anti-vax. And I share your concern in your first paragraph for sure. I’m also afraid that we are heading to that type of world. The video today of an angry mob in TN yelling at a doctor who testified at a school board meeting in favor of masks was chilling. 

I’m glad you guys are slow on runs (I lived on Mass Ave across from the firehouse in Indy when I was there). I wish that was our experience when this started. We just don’t want to get back to anything approaching that here locally, which I don’t actually think will happen. But, there are a LOT of people in a small sapce and lots of visitors from other states. I do have one employee out of 50 that has chosen not to be vaccinated. They still have a job, but we do request them to get tested every two weeks.  For what it’s worth, I’ve been very respectful of her decision, while also trying to tow the line with policy. 

I wasn't implying anything, just making note.  

Its the whats next for me?  Sure strongly encourage, give bonuses if you want.  We passed on $750 from the school system for my pregnant wife.  When, last I looked, there were over 680 "abortion spontaneous" thats going to be a solid hell no for us until after breastfeeding is over with.  When the vast majority are obese and we aren't, its my decision to wait and see.  J&J sounded appealing at first and now less and less.  Pfizer and moderna sounded like duplicates but now it seems like moderna may be superior.  We will see.  

But whats next?  We have never shut down schools and businesses for the flu when, going off my head, kids are over 8 times more likely to die from the flu.  

Oh, and Ive got great friends over at 7s.  Subbed through there a lot.  

Edited by NotIThatLives

Just now, mrflynn03 said:

One thing I've seen discussed for unvaccinated is rather than employer mandates a $20-$50 health premium surcharge like they do for smokers. I can deal with that. 

And one thing that perplexes me is hospitals that will fire people going unvaccinated during a pandemic. 

Im 50/50 on that but if it goes to that, stop talking about it, stop the propaganda and campaigns, let people make their own choices and move on.  

Some airline called corporates bluff and walked off a full plane in protest of forced vax.  If hospitals are truly overrun, they aren't firing staff.  

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Im 50/50 on that but if it goes to that, stop talking about it, stop the propaganda and campaigns, let people make their own choices and move on.  

Some airline called corporates bluff and walked off a full plane in protest of forced vax.  If hospitals are truly overrun, they aren't firing staff.  

They can't fire everyone. People where I work in Bloomington thought they would get rid of masks if we hit 70% vaccinated. I've heard several wonder why we still wear them. 

The facility may be in Bloomington but hire 3000 people from around Bloomington, yeah nowhere near 70%.

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

In regards to the 4.7% deaths being breakthrough cases.  I think I read somewhere that most of the breakthrough deaths were among elderly and the frail.  Basically, if you are 75 or younger, the chances of dying from a breakthrough case are miniscule.

That makes sense.  The elderly are a high vaccination rate class.

4 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I agree Lollapalooza was not a smart decision. That said, they did require proof of vaccination and/or a negative test to attend. Also, 2 weeks ago Chicago was not close experiencing  the spike other cities were. 
https://www.npr.org/2021/07/28/1021946563/lollapalooza-to-require-vaccination-card-or-negative-test-to-attend-the-festival

I heard the testing was a joke. Non existent in many cases. Also the mayor was there, mask less, a day before imposing new restrictions. Funny how things got worse the day after. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Reacher said:

I heard the testing was a joke. Non existent in many cases. Also the mayor was there, mask less, a day before imposing new restrictions. Funny how things got worse the day after. 

Apparently there’s going to be a news conference today that will give an update on cases tied to Lolla. I do think that will be interesting, but not thrilled about the experiment being done in our backyard.  

https://www.thecollegefix.com/my-university-ignores-covid-natural-immunity-and-wants-to-blame-people-like-me-for-outbreaks/

"If the vaccine cannot fight off the Delta variant, then I do not need the vaccine if it is not effective to fight the coronavirus variants. Not to mention receiving the vaccine will not lead to a “normal” life if students, faculty and staff must continue to wear a mask everywhere on campus.

Furthermore, while the vaccine may be generally safe, I’ve had COVID with minimal difficulties.

Taking a vaccine that provides no marginal health benefit for me would only increase my risk of an adverse reaction without a corresponding boost in protection."

Author makes some good points. Have yet to hear answers that make any sense.

27 minutes ago, Reacher said:

https://www.thecollegefix.com/my-university-ignores-covid-natural-immunity-and-wants-to-blame-people-like-me-for-outbreaks/

"If the vaccine cannot fight off the Delta variant, then I do not need the vaccine if it is not effective to fight the coronavirus variants. Not to mention receiving the vaccine will not lead to a “normal” life if students, faculty and staff must continue to wear a mask everywhere on campus.

Furthermore, while the vaccine may be generally safe, I’ve had COVID with minimal difficulties.

Taking a vaccine that provides no marginal health benefit for me would only increase my risk of an adverse reaction without a corresponding boost in protection."

Author makes some good points. Have yet to hear answers that make any sense.

The vaccine cuts down the risk of hospitalization and death dramatically. That’s it. That’s the argument. 

And I agree that “normal life” is pretty far away in a lot of areas, b/c too many people refuse to take precautions - vaccination, distancing, masks. Things are pretty normal here and have been for awhile - b/c most people in Brooklyn understand that we are all in this together. 

This is not difficult. But people try to make it so.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

One thing I've seen discussed for unvaccinated is rather than employer mandates a $20-$50 health premium surcharge like they do for smokers. I can deal with that. 

And one thing that perplexes me is hospitals that will fire people going unvaccinated during a pandemic. 

Thanks for mentioning this. There were similar sentiments I think in Forbes this week about extra charges. I think I'm fine with that...at least for the time being. Might change my mind in 24 hours. Haha.

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

The vaccine cuts down the risk of hospitalization and death dramatically. That’s it. That’s the argument. 

And I agree that “normal life” is pretty far away in a lot of areas, b/c too many people refuse to take precautions - vaccination, distancing, masks. Things are pretty normal here and have been for awhile - b/c most people in Brooklyn understand that we are all in this together. 

This is not difficult. But people try to make it so.

I think you are missing the point. No doubt the vaccine works wonders in cutting down the severity and protecting at risk populations.

What I don't understand is why are vaccines needed / mandatory for those who already have the antibodies from having had Covid. Are these natural antibodies superior to the vaccines? Logic would say so, but have not seen actual evidence on it. In Europe, antibodies count. For some reason, natural immunity / antibodies are largely ignored in the US. 

As the author pointed out, the vaccines are not stopping the variants from being transmitted so that is no longer an argument in their favor. 

I thought I'd point out some Covid Hypocrisy. There are many examples. The latest one I saw was - https://news.yahoo.com/britain-relax-covid-19-travel-184225743.html

25,000 people can come to Scotland and not have to follow the same protocols as the citizens. WHY?

Same thing happened at the G7 where everyone is together maskless and then they pose for the pictures wearing masks and sitting apart.  The political elite should follow the same rules as everyone else. When they don't, it undermines the entire message. Leadership starts at the top and we aren't seeing that. I'm not being political here because this is going on from Australia to the UK.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Want to know why people are fed up with all that is going on policy wise?

Lollapalooza went on without a word, but Sturgis was called a super spreader. The hypocrisy and lack of consistency put us where we are. 

Or Obamas super party which had over 500 people dancing around without masks and you don't hear anything about it.

Politicians do as i say not as i do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

I think you are missing the point. No doubt the vaccine works wonders in cutting down the severity and protecting at risk populations.

What I don't understand is why are vaccines needed / mandatory for those who already have the antibodies from having had Covid. Are these natural antibodies superior to the vaccines? Logic would say so, but have not seen actual evidence on it. In Europe, antibodies count. For some reason, natural immunity / antibodies are largely ignored in the US. 

Good question, I was reading an article earlier and it had this quote about those who were previously infected: 

This is true even among people who have been infected with Covid-19 before: Those who have previously had the virus are more than twice as likely to become reinfected by the Delta variant if they are unvaccinated.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Or Obamas super party which had over 500 people dancing around without masks and you don't hear anything about it.

Politicians do as i say not as i do.

Did you also feel this way about Trumps maskless rallies? 

This is getting back to politics now though. 

13 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Did you also feel this way about Trumps maskless rallies? 

This is getting back to politics now though. 

I said politicians, so that includes them all. My post was calling out our supposed "Elites" being hypocrites, should we follow them and not wear mask or do as they want only us to do and wear them.

Also to turn this around are you ok with Obamas party that they weren't wearing mask at.  

One other thing as much as people try to avoid it politics are a part of Covid and both sides agenda. Unfortunately you can't avoid it. 

Edited by Hoosier51

17 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

I said politicians, so that includes them all. My post was calling out our supposed "Elites" being hypocrites, should we follow them and not wear mask or do as they want only us to do and wear them.

Also to turn this around are you ok with Obamas party that they weren't wearing mask at.  

One other thing as much as people try to avoid it politics are a part of Covid and both sides agenda. Unfortunately you can't avoid it. 

Definitely not okay with Obama’s party. It’s just a bad look and kind of tacky with Delta raging. 

And yeah, I hate how this has been so politicized. If it hadn’t been, we would have been doing much better as a country with this. 

• Like 1

At first I was disappointed I didn't get Pfizer. Now it's looking good that I ended up with Moderna. In a few months, that will probably change, lol

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-vaccines-pfizer-moderna-delta-biden-e9be4bb0-3d10-4f56-8054-5410be357070.html

"The study found similar results in other states. For example, in Florida, the risk of infection in July for people fully vaccinated with Moderna was about 60% lower than for people fully vaccinated with Pfizer."

Heard from a DR at a Sarasota hospital that delta variant is significantly worse than what they saw previously, as far as number of patients coming to hospital. 95% of cases are among unvaccinated. Vaccinated patients are primarily cancer patients, transplant patients, etc. Seeing lots of cases from people 35-50

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1