Coronavirus

Reacher

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Screenshot_20210812-190800_Chrome.jpg

Long time lurker, first time poster (just created an account!) If you click on the chart, that only represents those who have received one dose. For those who have received both, it is only 1.1%. Furthermore, that large spike in one-dose vaccination rates only represents 11.4% of the population. Vietnam has 97 million residents, most of which are packed into densely populated cities. I lived in Hanoi, Vietnam from 2008 till 2010. It was an amazing city. I love every minute of it, but their infrastructure is terrible. I had to sit on people's laps on the city busses. I can only imagine what they are going through now with the Delta variant given how densely populated much of the country is. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Pudman said:

Long time lurker, first time poster (just created an account!) If you click on the chart, that only represents those who have received one dose. For those who have received both, it is only 1.1%. Furthermore, that large spike in one-dose vaccination rates only represents 11.4% of the population. Vietnam has 97 million residents, most of which are packed into densely populated cities. I lived in Hanoi, Vietnam from 2008 till 2010. It was an amazing city. I love every minute of it, but their infrastructure is terrible. I had to sit on people's laps on the city busses. I can only imagine what they are going through now with the Delta variant given how densely populated much of the country is. 

Also, welcome. Don't be a stranger!  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pudman said:

Unrelated, but my grandpa fought in Vietnam and my wife's uncle died there. Have had several high school teachers that served there.  If I had to fly anywhere in the world, visiting Vietnam would be my first choice. 

Happy to explain, I love looking at charts. Sorry to hear about your wife's uncle. It was a sad and devastating war for both sides. I've spoken with many vets through Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia and their stories are hard, as are ours. If you can go, you should go. The north of Vietnam is spectacular. It is the first place I want to go with my wife when we can (actually, we plan to backpack Scotland first :) ). The people are so lovely and welcoming to Americans. I have so many found memories from living there. I'd move back there in a heartbeat if I didn't have a faculty position at the greatest University (I am sure you can guess which!).

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Pudman said:

Happy to explain, I love looking at charts. Sorry to hear about your wife's uncle. It was a sad and devastating war for both sides. I've spoken with many vets through Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia and their stories are hard, as are ours. If you can go, you should go. The north of Vietnam is spectacular. It is the first place I want to go with my wife when we can (actually, we plan to backpack Scotland first :) ). The people are so lovely and welcoming to Americans. I have so many found memories from living there. I'd move back there in a heartbeat if I didn't have a faculty position at the greatest University (I am sure you can guess which!).

IU of course!

14 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I can't believe shaming mask-less people on social media is still a thing. 

Is it?  I thought we moved to shaming the unvaccinated.  Or was it firing the unvaccinated?  I asked what's next a few days ago.  If you can't see the progression, let me help you.  Its already started with bars, restaurants, and entertainment.  Jobs are already on the line.   Next up is food.  Do know what extremes people will go to to get food?  It's time to chill out.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

This is really frustrating that grown men and woman can not control their emotions enough to have this discussion without blatantly making it political.

Last warning. This threadxwill be locked in 3.....2......1.....

Although it has went somewhat political it seems to me that it has been mostly congenial. That is somewhat refreshing. Like it or not it is almost unavoidable to not discuss politics with this topic since it has been made that way from the start.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Although it has went somewhat political it seems to me that it has been mostly congenial. That is somewhat refreshing. Like it or not it is almost unavoidable to not discuss politics with this topic since it has been made that way from the start.

It is tough to avoid and I think most of us try to be nice about it with our fellow IU fans. I’ve always known that I’m an outlier politically here, but am friendly with many on here that I disagree strongly with on this topic. 

That said, it also snowballs pretty quickly sometimes in this thread. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I’ve always known that I’m an outlier politically here, but am friendly with many on here that I disagree strongly with on this topic. 

This kind of gave me a little bit of a chuckle, because i was thinking the same thing about me and a couple of other people on here lol. 👍 😃

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoosier51 said:

This kind of gave me a little bit of a chuckle, because i was thinking the same thing about me and a couple of other people on here lol. 👍 😃

And yet, we can still get along. I like that. Need much more of that in the good old USA right now. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

Most people, yes. And we really appreciate that.

There are several people's posts we deleted that would make you change your mind.  ;)

It' just takes one ourctwo to turn thise sideways, then somebody says some things that can truly change this forum for the worse.

It's just not worth the long term risk. 

• Like 2

On 8/12/2021 at 8:31 PM, mrflynn03 said:

Unrelated, but my grandpa fought in Vietnam and my wife's uncle died there. Have had several high school teachers that served there.  If I had to fly anywhere in the world, visiting Vietnam would be my first choice. 

My dad was in Thailand from 69-70, and one of our own (Mile) did a tour in Vietnam as well. 

In these divisive times, let’s all remember what they were fighting for. 🇺🇸

• Like 5

On 8/13/2021 at 10:07 PM, bluegrassIU said:

Most people, yes. And we really appreciate that.

There are several people's posts we deleted that would make you change your mind.  ;)

It' just takes one ourctwo to turn thise sideways, then somebody says some things that can truly change this forum for the worse.

It's just not worth the long term risk. 

It takes what?  I've never seen that word used on Wheel of Fortune.

I'm still in awe of anyone not understanding why some of us are hesitant for the vaccine. 

"Trust science".. ok. There are 100s of things DRs have either ignored science about or DRs have proven not to be trustworthy. 

Kate and I finally spoke about it this past weekend and into today.. leaning towards getting it with all the travel we're doing in the coming months. And that's essentially the only reason.  

If someone can't understand why a perfectly healthy 30 year old couple is hesitant to get a vaccine that isn't FDA approved, I'm not sure what to tell them... other then that's their battle to fight, not mine. 

I don't believe others health is my responsibility. Now.. I don't go around drunk driving or coughing on people, but what our government did to businesses and schools the past year has been gross. I have never once felt the health of our children was EVER at the front of our politicians mind.  

I certainly don't need grandpa politicians telling me to get a vaccine and I won't have to wear a mask. That's already been proven false. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 5