Coronavirus

Reacher

12 hours ago, btownqb said:

I'm still in awe of anyone not understanding why some of us are hesitant for the vaccine. 

"Trust science".. ok. There are 100s of things DRs have either ignored science about or DRs have proven not to be trustworthy. 

Kate and I finally spoke about it this past weekend and into today.. leaning towards getting it with all the travel we're doing in the coming months. And that's essentially the only reason.  

If someone can't understand why a perfectly healthy 30 year old couple is hesitant to get a vaccine that isn't FDA approved, I'm not sure what to tell them... other then that's their battle to fight, not mine. 

I don't believe others health is my responsibility. Now.. I don't go around drunk driving or coughing on people, but what our government did to businesses and schools the past year has been gross. I have never once felt the health of our children was EVER at the front of our politicians mind.  

I certainly don't need grandpa politicians telling me to get a vaccine and I won't have to wear a mask. That's already been proven false. 

How do we know they didn't get a placebo?  They also seem to conveniently take their face restrictors off quit a bit when they think noone is looking.

• Like 1

Frustration sets in...three of five employees out today.  One scheduled off, one quarantined until September because her teenaged daughter has COVID19 and one getting her young daughter tested.

Today, was just me and my office manager, just like in the old days.  We got it all done, but she is scheduled to partially retire in October.  Guess it's good everyone is sick now...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Wonder how many on the red side had previously had COVID-19, or have a partial vaccination?

I have a grandson in the Navy stationed in San Diego. He hates everything about California and can't wait until he is reassigned elsewhere. The covid restrictions have taken away what little free time benefits he might have had. The real shame to me is what we have taken away from young people in the name of protecting old people. I will gladly take the risk to let them enjoy their youth.

• Like 2

Jessie Jackson and his wife hospitalized with Covid.  He was reportedly vaccinated in January.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/jesse-jackson-and-his-wife-jacqueline-hospitalized-with-covid/ar-AANAgPP?ocid=uxbndlbing

Met Jessie at Midway airport in Chicago one time,  Was waiting in line to check my bags when someone noticed him just finishing up doing the same. Someone called out to him and he came through the entire line and greeted everyone individually.  It was before he went public with his Parkinson's disease, but you could tell he already had it.  My grandpa had it, so I knew the subtle signs.

Reading that thread, I thought sure she was going to die.

I made my decision awhile back to get vaccinated.  I knew there were risks either way but I took the path I personally believed gave me the best chance to beat this thing.  Only 20/20 hindsight will say for sure whether that judgment was correct.  What I am confident of is that most vaccinated people seem to fare better if they do get the virus.  I've personally talked to multiple friends who were unvaccinated and got COVID.  I have no vaccinated friends that have had symptoms of the virus since vaccination.  I don't doubt breakthrough infections occur...I see plenty of evidence that they have.  I'm simply talking about my friends who include both vaccinated and unvaccinated people.  I limited my observations to those people simply because I know them well and they have no reason to lie to me.

Your experience may vary, but mine makes me feel like I made the right choice to get vaccinated.  Someday, I'll know if I was right or not, but either way, I'm at peace with the decision.

• Like 9

This has been circulating on social media the last couple of days...Deaconess Hospital in Evansville...

Deaconess.thumb.jpg.bb596a9b8aa747ab89d22ee0783b6dc8.jpg

I'd also like to see average age in all populations and a third category covering previously infected, but still...good information assuming you don't think they are in cahoots with the CDC to provide misinformation.

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

This has been circulating on social media the last couple of days...Deaconess Hospital in Evansville...

I'd also like to see average age in all populations and a third category covering previously infected, but still...good information assuming you don't think they are in cahoots with the CDC to provide misinformation.

Same as with the previous stats….the piece of missing information is the mortality rate. 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Can't say it isn't FDA approved any more 

At least the Pfizer/BioTech version

I just heard some Dr from John Hopkins on the radio talking about this. He brought up something I hadn't heard before. He said the vaccine may be more effective with the second dose given 3 months after the first instead of 3 weeks. Would probably cut down a lot of side effects as well. And that children may only need one dose. And Moderna should be approved as well in a couple weeks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Heard one of the developers of the Moderna vaccine say that the vaccines are doing exactly what they were designed to do, prevent/reduce serious illness. He said they designed the vaccines to keep the virus from spreading into the airways and lungs, leading to pneumonia and serious outcomes. Said it's very difficult to design a virus to target the upper respiratory system, so it's expected that vaccinated people may experience cold/sore throat symptoms. They were actually very surprised when clinical studies indicated how effective the vaccines initially were at preventing infection - not something they were designed to do. Delta has proven the vaccines to be less effective at preventing infection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the BBC article quoted by @Reacher:

"You get a broader immune response after being infected with the virus than vaccination.

Whether you've had Moderna or Pfizer or Oxford-AstraZeneca, your body is learning to spot just one thing - the spike protein.

This is the critical part of the virus to make antibodies to, and the results - by keeping most out of hospital - have been spectacular.

But having the other 28 proteins to target too, would give T-cells far more to go at.

"That means if you had a real humdinger of an infection, you may have better immunity to any new variants that pop up as you have immunity to more than just spike," said Prof Riley."

That goes along with my flu experience.  My last flu vaccination was October 1999.  In March 2000, I got the worst flu I ever had...complete with high fever, uncontrollable chills and weakness to the point I could hardly stand.  I was worthless for about a week.  After that, huge (we're talking silver dollar size) patches of my hair fell out and it took more than a year to grow it all back.  My dermatologist called it alopecia areata and said it was viral in nature.  I assumed it was an after effect of the nasty flu I had.  My general doc said I got the flu because flu shots only last a few months.

Since then, I have had no flu vaccines and no flu.  The more I read, the more I believe I have some very strong immunity as a result of the nasty bout I had more than 20 years ago.  I'm not opposed to getting a mild case of COVID after my vaccination if it boosts my immunity, but I don't have any desire to get a bad case of COVID no matter how much it helps my immunity.  I do believe that the worse the case, the greater your subsequent immunity.  If that's true, the people who nearly died have to be encouraged now.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I think most people knew this. Now we have confirmation. Natural immunity 13x more effective against the Delta variant than the vaccines-

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/08/having-sars-cov-2-once-confers-much-greater-immunity-vaccine-no-infection-parties

Except for all the people dying because they didn't get vaccinated.

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Except for all the people dying because they didn't get vaccinated.

I think the relevant question is though, if I've already had the disease (which I have) and can produce documentation that says my antibody count is high enough to protect me, why should I have to get vaccinated (and I am)?

That's a huge fight between government workers, their unions, and upper management. 

Currently, when employees go back to work (they have 3 separate dates...January 3rd for my group) if you have not been vaccinated, and you must attest to that fact...no documentation needed, BUT if you get caught lying about it, you'll be disciplined, up to and including being fired. If you haven't been vaccinated, you must submit to testing twice a week, no matter if your antibody count is at optimum levels...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I think most people knew this. Now we have confirmation. Natural immunity 13x more effective against the Delta variant than the vaccines-

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/08/having-sars-cov-2-once-confers-much-greater-immunity-vaccine-no-infection-parties

Interesting. In regards to the last half of that headline: 'no infection parties, please'....did you see the Time article from yesterday? https://time.com/6093164/long-covid-19-largest-study/

Among those hospitalized for COVID-19, 68% reported at least one continued, COVID-19-related symptom six months after their first symptoms appeared. While this percentage decreased by the 12-month mark, it remained relatively high, at 49%. And overall, patients who had been hospitalized for COVID-19 self-reported being in poorer health and having lower quality of life—including mobility issues— compared to controls.

The most common symptom patients reported 12 months later was fatigue or muscle weakness; other issues included sleep disturbances, changes in taste and smell, dizziness, headache and shortness of breath. Certain symptoms were actually worse at the 12-month mark than they were earlier on in the study: the proportion of patients reporting breathing problems increased slightly, from 26% to 30%, from six months to a year following their first symptoms. The patients also filled out questionnaires about their mental health, and while 23% reported feeling anxious or depressed six months after their first symptoms appeared, 30% did so at a year.

Considering there has been 2.5 million hospitalizations here; this is sad news. Despite having 30 years of research on mRNA vaccines many are worried about long term side effects. The semi long term side effects (and possible long, long term side effects) for COVID are nothing to flinch at and scare me a whole lot more. I guess, it's all about weighing risks. 

On another front, I found out my 16 year-old healthy niece went to the doctor because she was tired and noticed an elevated heart-rate. The doc diagnosed her with SVT which is extremely, extremely rare for a kid her age. First question he asked was: did she have COVID? Her mom said not to her knowledge. The doctor said he's been seeing SVT in people who have had COVID and thought it might be the culprit. He ordered a test. Sure enough, she had antibodies. Must've had an (at the time) asymptomatic case. Again, just sad all the way around. This virus sucks. 

• Like 1