Coronavirus

Reacher

My kids went back to school on August 4th.  Two weeks ago they were both exposed in separate incidents, but since they were vaccinated, were able to continue going to school as long as they wore masks on school property for a period of 14 days.

My son's two weeks ended today.  My daughter's was scheduled to end tomorrow, but we just got notified she was exposed yet again.

How on earth are schools going to be able to get through the year?

Edited by 5fouls

20 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

BIL passed a little while ago today. He was only 39.

Really feel bad for my sister, married not even 2 years and she's out in Utah alone until the parents get there sometime tomorrow.  

So sorry for your loss. Prayers going out to your sister and family.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

My kids went back to school on August 4th.  Two weeks ago they were both exposed in separate incidents, but since they were vaccinated, were able to continue going to school as long as they wore masks on school property for a period of 14 days.

My son's two weeks ended today.  My daughter's was scheduled to end tomorrow, but we just got notified she was exposed yet again.

How on earth are schools going to be able to get through the year?

Where my wife works all but 15 1st graders contact traced out, most of the sophomore class and 2/3 of both 7th and 8th grades. There have been no games at South the past 2 weeks and not looking good moving forward. I anticipate a virtual learning situation sooner rather than later. Both Jennings County and Greensburg are

27 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Where my wife works all but 15 1st graders contact traced out, most of the sophomore class and 2/3 of both 7th and 8th grades. There have been no games at South the past 2 weeks and not looking good moving forward. I anticipate a virtual learning situation sooner rather than later. Both Jennings County and Greensburg are

It's crazy that last year at this time we just KNEW things would be better this year.  It's anything but that.

• Like 1

Real head scratcher up here by me.

Lagrange County, just to the west of Steuben, has a vaccination rate of just a little over 21% of their population having had one dose, and just north of 19% having two. In great part this is due to the large Amish population in the county, imo. 

Lagrange County is the only county in the state to score a 1 on the covid county metrics map released today.

9 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Real head scratcher up here by me.

Lagrange County, just to the west of Steuben, has a vaccination rate of just a little over 21% of their population having had one dose, and just north of 19% having two. In great part this is due to the large Amish population in the county, imo. 

Lagrange County is the only county in the state to score a 1 on the covid county metrics map released today.

Have you ever seen a fat Amish person?  They eat super clean and natural.  Most do blue collar work.  Im stating the obvious but for the most part, healthy people have extremely high success rates.  I would also venture to say they dont go get tested for a runny nose either.  Stop the insanity.

• Like 2

With mask mandates returning, let's revisit the science.

The largest Random Controlled Trial (gold standard of research) on masks and covid to date -

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33205991/

The study found that 1.8 percent of those in the mask group and 2.1 percent of those in the control group became infected with Covid-19 within a month, with this 0.3-point difference not being statistically significant.

This study is with SURGICAL masks. Very few are wearing these today. Personally, I'm lucky enough to have access to good quality medical, but not surgical quality, masks.

What about cloth masks?

A cloth mask “may potentially increase the infection risk” for health-care workers. “The virus may survive on the surface of the facemasks,” they explain, while “a contaminated cloth mask may transfer pathogen from the mask to the bare hands of the wearer,” which could lead to hand hygiene being “compromised.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Reacher said:

With mask mandates returning, let's revisit the science.

The largest Random Controlled Trial (gold standard of research) on masks and covid to date -

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33205991/

The study found that 1.8 percent of those in the mask group and 2.1 percent of those in the control group became infected with Covid-19 within a month, with this 0.3-point difference not being statistically significant.

This study is with SURGICAL masks. Very few are wearing these today. Personally, I'm lucky enough to have access to good quality medical, but not surgical quality, masks.

What about cloth masks?

A cloth mask “may potentially increase the infection risk” for health-care workers. “The virus may survive on the surface of the facemasks,” they explain, while “a contaminated cloth mask may transfer pathogen from the mask to the bare hands of the wearer,” which could lead to hand hygiene being “compromised.”

Didn’t you link this article like 100 pages back and somebody responded with this article? https://www.forbes.com/sites/leahrosenbaum/2020/11/18/lead-researcher-behind-controversial-danish-study-says-you-should-still-wear-a-mask/

In all seriousness, I think the larger thing this study missed was that it did not investigate whether masks prevented those infected with Covid-19 from infecting other people. 

In local news that may or may not mean anything: Lake Central Schools enforced a mask mandate and had protests about it in August. Lake Central’s case and quarantining numbers are currently much lower than neighboring schools. Lowell to the South had slightly worse numbers (totals, not percentages), but it is also 3-4 times smaller and located in a lesser populated area. And Crown Point had 880 students quarantined last week after nearly 50 kids were infected, resulting in a newly announced mask mandate this week. 

I’m definitely no scientist, but based on things I’ve read and heard, there maybe truth to the theory that masking only slightly increases the protection of the wearer (which is what that study may indicate). I think the larger and more important factor is a mask being worn by the infected to prevent the spread. However, that requires a community effort and a greater percentage of people to wear a mask. It’s an all (or mostly all) or nothing participation rate in terms of mitigation if that theory holds true. Perhaps that may be a factor to why Lake Central seems to be fairing better at this time in comparison to their neighboring schools. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Didn’t you link this article like 100 pages back and somebody responded with this article? https://www.forbes.com/sites/leahrosenbaum/2020/11/18/lead-researcher-behind-controversial-danish-study-says-you-should-still-wear-a-mask/

In all seriousness, I think the larger thing this study missed was that it did not investigate whether masks prevented those infected with Covid-19 from infecting other people. 

In local news that may or may not mean anything: Lake Central Schools enforced a mask mandate and had protests about it in August. Lake Central’s case and quarantining numbers are currently much lower than neighboring schools. Lowell to the South had slightly worse numbers (totals, not percentages), but it is also 3-4 times smaller and located in a lesser populated area. And Crown Point had 880 students quarantined last week after nearly 50 kids were infected, resulting in a newly announced mask mandate this week. 

I’m definitely no scientist, but based on things I’ve read and heard, there maybe truth to the theory that masking only slightly increases the protection of the wearer (which is what that study may indicate). I think the larger and more important factor is a mask being worn by the infected to prevent the spread. However, that requires a community effort and a greater percentage of people to wear a mask. It’s an all (or mostly all) or nothing participation rate in terms of mitigation if that theory holds true. Perhaps that may be a factor to why Lake Central seems to be fairing better at this time in comparison to their neighboring schools. 

I may have... Just saw it again. I never said not to wear a mask. Just wanted to point out masks are not some silver bullet. Mask mandates have been reinstated near me and with school beginning, kids are being forced to wear them. As you pointed out, their efficacy is likely minimal. Surgical masks are best but people are still not wearing properly and most are using lesser quality masks. The cloth ones may be causing their own issues. As long as virus particles can easily pass through most masks, it seems to make sense that any effect, on the wearer or others, is likely to be minimal. I wish we would focus more on areas like improving the immune system and early onset treatments to keep people out of hospitals,

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I may have... Just saw it again. I never said not to wear a mask. Just wanted to point out masks are not some silver bullet. Mask mandates have been reinstated near me and with school beginning, kids are being forced to wear them. As you pointed out, their efficacy is likely minimal. Surgical masks are best but people are still not wearing properly and most are using lesser quality masks. The cloth ones may be causing their own issues. As long as virus particles can easily pass through most masks, it seems to make sense that any effect, on the wearer or others, is likely to be minimal. I wish we would focus more on areas like improving the immune system and early onset treatments to keep people out of hospitals,

I'm not sure that I've seen anybody claim that masks are a silver bullet, ever. I think that seems to be an inflated perception of some who encourage various degrees of masking. In regards to schools, I just don't want my kids to be quarantined for 10 days and if a mask mandate decreases the chances of that then I'm all for it. Honestly, my kids don't mind wearing a mask - they are used to it after last year. They'd much rather not miss school. 

I do think we can walk and chew gum at the same time. Decrease mitigation as best we can. And in the meantime, research early onset treatments. We don't have to stop one to do the other. And not to beat a dead horse, but we already do have a pretty good way to keep people out of hospitals. Not saying we stop researching treatments at all, but we've been trying to find viral treatments for the common cold and flu for a century without much luck. Not saying it's impossible, but I hope people aren't sitting around waiting for some scientific breakthrough treatment when they could just get a vaccine, which has shown - even in breakthrough cases - to greatly decrease severity of symptoms to the degree a treatment would anyway.  

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Got the shot yesterday or the first shot.  

Feel like h*** today. 

People that have had covid(me) are seeing the first shot making them feel bad, more so than the 2nd, right? 

I believe so. Talk to your Dr about waiting (3 months?) for the second shot. You already have natural plus now the majority of the vaccine effectiveness. I posted something awhile back about a 3 month interval possibly increasing effectiveness.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Got the shot yesterday or the first shot.  

Feel like h*** today. 

People that have had covid(me) are seeing the first shot making them feel bad, more so than the 2nd, right? 

I had the virus back in January or February for 3 weeks. Not fun... Got the first shot a while back and felt like crap for a day (everything ached) and also after the 2nd (3 weeks later...Moderna)

Edited by IUFLA

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/09/01/us/oregon-schools-superintendent-fired-mask-mandate/index.html

An example of following the rules and uninformed people do what they want.  another reason why I have always wondered why people that have never been in the classroom are on school board. Ours is a bunch of farmers worried about high taxes.in public schools the kids are last on the list when it comes to decision making.  It would like me making decisions for a construction company and having no clue on how to build anything but doing all the hiring and firing

Edited by Billingsley99
Lost train of thought
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/09/01/us/oregon-schools-superintendent-fired-mask-mandate/index.html

An example of following the rules and uninformed people do what they want.  another reason why I have always wondered why people that have never been in the classroom are on school board. Ours is a bunch of farmers worried about high taxes.in public schools the kids are last on the list when it comes to decision making.  It would like me making decisions for a construction company and having no clue on how to build anything but doing all the hiring and firing

That's a big reason why I got out of teaching. School boards in rural areas can get away with whatever they want. Since covid started, I feel like it has given a much larger voice to a lot of the idiots who are on school boards.

• Like 2