Coronavirus

Reacher

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Nicki Manaj claims her brothers friend's testicles swelled and he became impotent after receiving the vaccine.

In other, possibly related, news, my wife is now strongly pushing me to get a booster.  

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/16/americas/nicki-minaj-vaccine-story-false-scli-intl/index.html

A guy on Gutfeld (who I personally find hilarious) last night was making fun of this story, basically implying that the vaccine wasn't what caused the guy's testicles to swell and the (now ex-) fiancee likely knew that.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Sigh. This is pretty much the deal with any paper or any legitimate study. There is a limitations section. Legitimate researchers are trained to constantly question their results. And often over-emphasize the limitations or issues with a study, so when it’s peer reviewed they may head off some of the critiques and comments. The peer review process can be brutal. 

So, the CDC must include every word in a press release, but Joe Rogan, Podcast Pete, or Tucker Carlson can selectively quote things and mislead the public and that’s cool. Got it. 

I have to admit, this thread is difficult for me. I work with researchers, some of the best in the world. I trust them. I do not trust Podcast Pete or on air personalities. In the end, science will be proven right, and the treatment of the day/week pushers will long be forgotten about. 

I get it, many people on here don’t trust science. But, damn it’s depressing. 

I also get that many people don’t trust politicians. I am with you. Am sick of them all. 

Mostly just sick of people constantly questioning proven ways to reduce the spread of this virus. 

I also just simply don’t have the time to scour the internet all day b/c someone is wrong on the internet. 

What proven ways?  Nothing is stopping the spread. Not masks, or vaccinnes. Vaccinated people contribute to the spread.  

Not trying to be an ass but delta burned through with these measures in place. 

The vaccine is proving to be ineffective at stopping or slowing the spread. 

Its an effective therapuetic for a lot of people and thats about it. 

We will not vaccinate our way out of this. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

What proven ways?  Nothing is stopping the spread. Not masks, or vaccinnes. Vaccinated people contribute to the spread.  

Not working too well on VT (at slowing the spread) - 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Was just thinking, maybe I shouldn't, but american workers(taxpayers) are going to be forced to get it, but they aren't going to force welfare recipients to get it?  What's up with that?

Not to be political but are we forcing those hundreds of thousands of people coming across the border each month or those that were brought over from Afganistan vaccinated? I have dozens of international clients that have to quarantine etc before coming into the US...I'm all for safe travel but shouldn't this be equally applied to all?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Proven? Sure, masks, social distancing and vaccines. Especially these three together. I know you are not a fan of any of those, but they do work if people use them. 

Look at deaths, hospitalizations, and positivity rates in states that don’t embrace them. Idaho is at 43.7%, Mississippi at 34.4%. Deaths are surging in these places, and the hospitalizations are crushing healthcare workers in many regions. The states with the lowest positivity rates, hospitalizations, and deaths are all NE states that embrace masks, social distancing, and vaccination. The states struggling largely embrace individual freedom over a healthy society.

The densest, most populous city in the US (NYC) has a positivity rate that’s been hovering between 1-4% for the last six months, currently at 3%. Everyone knows we got hammered in the beginning, before we knew what worked. Made a lot of mistakes, but after that initial surge, our rates have been VERY low. Why?

Because we have been very strict about wearing masks indoors, social distancing, and we have a high vaccination rate. Our population density means we are always packed together - in buildings (mine has 75 units sharing an elevator), on subways, on buses, and on sidewalks. You would think that would make controlling spread difficult. There are a lot of us, but we mostly decided to make some sacrifices for the greater good of the people around us. 

Life is vibrant here - sidewalk and street dining are packed every day. New restaurants and stores are popping up. We go about our lives as we did before, w/o much worry about COVID. Outdoor dining has transformed neighborhoods, many more people are out and about biking, summer streets were extended year around (streets shut down to car traffic on weekends). We do mask up indoors, but that’s just smart. Subways are packed, but people wear masks. 

This really isn’t rocket science - we don’t have to scour the internet for fringe treatments and studies to prove our pet theories, if we simply do these things. History also tells us this is how many plagues and pandemics are ultimately ended. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Some people get it!

Oklahoma Restaurant-goers Donate to the “Giving Wall” to Feed Hungry

Several restaurants in Oklahoma have adopted the practice of what’s been called a “receipt wall” or “giving wall” to help get meals to those in need.

Here’s how it works: Customers and even do-gooders from other states can prepay for a meal and leave the receipt for it on the wall. Then, those who are hungry but don’t have the funds can come in and choose a receipt from the wall to receive their free meal.

It’s believed that the practice first began at the Miami, Oklahoma-based hot dog joint The Dawg House. Owner Jennifer White taped the first receipt up on the wall to help those who had been hit hard by the COVID-19 pandemic and those who were homeless — the wall was plastered with receipts for meals within eight hours. By April of this year, more than 600 free meals had been donated at The Dawg House. Seeing the need, other establishments like Hi-way Café, Montana Mike’s Steakhouse, and Zack’s Café got involved.

Beth Hillburn, the owner of the Hi-Way Café along Route-66, recounts a couple who came in three times within the last week of a month — when funds are typically scarcer for those who live paycheck-to-paycheck — apologizing for using the receipts. A week later, she says, they came back and donated to the wall because their economic situation had improved.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Proven? Sure, masks, social distancing and vaccines. Especially these three together. I know you are not a fan of any of those, but they do work if people use them. 

Look at deaths, hospitalizations, and positivity rates in states that don’t embrace them. Idaho is at 43.7%, Mississippi at 34.4%. Deaths are surging in these places, and the hospitalizations are crushing healthcare workers in many regions. The states with the lowest positivity rates, hospitalizations, and deaths are all NE states that embrace masks, social distancing, and vaccination. The states struggling largely embrace individual freedom over a healthy society.

The densest, most populous city in the US (NYC) has a positivity rate that’s been hovering between 1-4% for the last six months, currently at 3%. Everyone knows we got hammered in the beginning, before we knew what worked. Made a lot of mistakes, but after that initial surge, our rates have been VERY low. Why?

Because we have been very strict about wearing masks indoors, social distancing, and we have a high vaccination rate. Our population density means we are always packed together - in buildings (mine has 75 units sharing an elevator), on subways, on buses, and on sidewalks. You would think that would make controlling spread difficult. There are a lot of us, but we mostly decided to make some sacrifices for the greater good of the people around us. 

Life is vibrant here - sidewalk and street dining are packed every day. New restaurants and stores are popping up. We go about our lives as we did before, w/o much worry about COVID. Outdoor dining has transformed neighborhoods, many more people are out and about biking, summer streets were extended year around (streets shut down to car traffic on weekends). We do mask up indoors, but that’s just smart. Subways are packed, but people wear masks. 

This really isn’t rocket science - we don’t have to scour the internet for fringe treatments and studies to prove our pet theories, if we simply do these things. History also tells us this is how many plagues and pandemics are ultimately ended. 

I don't disagree with any of that, but I bet a high percentage of natural immunity plays a huge part in that as well...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I don't disagree with any of that, but I bet a high percentage of natural immunity plays a huge part in that as well...

Good point, and I don’t disagree that it’s an important part. I also think there should be more study in this area. But herd immunity was never going to save us w/o killing too many people in the process. 

But I also have to say that I have had VERY few friends and colleagues who have been infected. My wife and I have not been infected. What we have been in careful and thoughtful. It’s worked so far for us. We managed to navigate the epicenter of this the entire time w/o being infected. We know so many people who chose to flee NYC during this and we stayed put, but did so with common sense actions. 

Hope I didn’t just jinx us though! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Just frustrated by it all. It just feels like it will never end.  I guess almost 2 years of hearing the same things on repeat wears you out.

I am a fan of the social distancing though. 

The weather cools off soon. Think I will go to Brown County SP for a day and leave the phone behind. 

• Like 3

On 9/16/2021 at 10:57 AM, dgambill said:

Interesting enough they CDC left out this observation from the study from their media release. This is what causes problems for people. Selective science...selective facts....they just can't put all the info out there. When they hide info it LOOKS BAD. This is what I have been saying from the start. The way they handle this stuff....under both administrations has been so awful...it doesn't help their cause or honestly the public who are then confused or worse distrustful because they manipulate the data and info they are providing. 

More recently, the CDC made headlines with an observational study aiming to characterise the protection a vaccine might give to people with past infections. Comparing 246 Kentuckians who had subsequent reinfections with 492 controls who had not, the CDC concluded that those who were unvaccinated had more than twice the odds of reinfection.30 The study notes the limitation that the vaccinated are “possibly less likely to get tested. Therefore, the association of reinfection and lack of vaccination might be overestimated.” In announcing the study, Walensky stated: “If you have had covid-19 before, please still get vaccinated.”31

I've said it before. Vaccinated people are not nearly as likely to get tested for Covid...and if they are infected and carry it asymptomatically as we would expect because of their vaccine doing its job they wouldn't think to get tested. Doesn't change the fact that they can just as easily spread it or be infected than a non-vaccinated person.

Thats what I said months ago.  Vaccinated quit getting tested.  

• Like 2

This is kind of a long detailed article but explains how COVID basically works. It's unique characteristics, how it attaches, reproduces etc etc.  I'm not going to get into conspiracy theories...but I mean this thing is like a super virus. So many things it does is so unique. It's like it's almost a perfect virus.....to think that this all happened by chance in nature and jumped over to humans....sorry I just can't believe it. This thing looks bio-engineered if I ever saw it. It's like they took a virus and gave it super powers. From the spike proteins having 3 hinges (when most virus are rigid), stronger binding to cells, faster fusing, superior takeover of the host cell, shutting down the cells alarm system so it goes unnoticed by your immune system, then finally when it is replicated instead of having just one amino acid in the snip it has 5!! Which makes it especially essential for invading lung cells (basically making this a "juggernaut" virus and one that would be very transmissible by air and breathing it into the lungs). The article states so many times how unique and different it is...but also how all these adaptations make it more deadly and transmissible...I just can't help but come to the conclusion that this virus has been altered or genetically designed by humans. Sorry that is just me.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02039-y

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Sorry. I stayed out of this thread for a very very long time..so I missed a ton. I purposely did it to avoid tensions...but felt necessary to share information to hopefully help people who just aren't able to spend time researching or aren't getting info they need from the media or govt. Mostly I just want people to know the treatment options...and vaccine options (including some non-mrna options that will be released soon)...and the best way we can all protect ourselves and stay healthy. I'm a big fan of statistics...facts don't lie...unless of course your only getting part of the facts or getting statistics taken out of context or being used to state more than what they really should state. Most statistics should only be used to infer very narrow scopes information. To make more wider generalizations often is misuse and in fact may be inconclusive, mis-leading, or in fact totally incorrect. I think this has been done by various places on both sides of the vaccination/mask/covid arguement to try to support their own agenda/hypothysis. I think most everyone is coming from a good place/good intentions...but both ways it can dangerous if not unchecked...and I appreciate everyone's views and opinions and information in trying to provide facts on here in a healthy way. Most places in the world this conversation can't be made, people feel threatened, intimidated, or ridiculed to discuss their thoughts or feelings on the matter but here...it's been very healthy debate and discussion. I'm truly proud of my forum friends on here for that! 

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

True.  I had a close friend, vaccinated, but he had a nagging scratchy throat and a mild headache.  He only went and got tested because two other guys in his small group came up positive and he was shocked when he came up positive.  Got over it fairly quickly with only very mild symptoms (he even mowed his lawn), but had he not had several positives around him, he admits he would have ignored the symptoms and never even knew he was a breakthrough.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Just frustrated by it all. It just feels like it will never end.  I guess almost 2 years of hearing the same things on repeat wears you out.

I am a fan of the social distancing though. 

The weather cools off soon. Think I will go to Brown County SP for a day and leave the phone behind. 

I feel ya, my friend. I hate it and really thought we would be over it by now. 

And taking a break in Brown County feels like heaven to me now. 

This isn’t COVID-related or anything, but thought people would like it and maybe lighten the mood around here a bit. I posted a headphone amp for sale on Craigslist and a guy reached out to me to come and see it. We exchanged phone numbers and started texting. He had a 317 area code and I was like, “wait that’s familiar.” The guy moved here to NYC three years ago from Zionsville. Also lived close to where we did by Luna Music before we lived downtown. Both he and his wife went to IU - same as my wife and I. He apologized for not having his IU hat on today. Hell, he might be on this board! 

Just thought that was one of those small world things. 

• Like 6

Looks like good news coming out of the American Journal of Therapeutics 

https://journals.lww.com/americantherapeutics/fulltext/2021/08000/ivermectin_for_prevention_and_treatment_of.7.aspx

"Conclusions: 

Moderate-certainty evidence finds that large reductions in COVID-19 deaths are possible using ivermectin. Using ivermectin early in the clinical course may reduce numbers progressing to severe disease. The apparent safety and low cost suggest that ivermectin is likely to have a significant impact on the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic globally."

If further research confirms this, how many died unnecessarily because it was being used more widely? 

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Reacher said:

https://journals.lww.com/americantherapeutics/fulltext/2021/08000/ivermectin_for_prevention_and_treatment_of.7.aspx

"Conclusions: 

Moderate-certainty evidence finds that large reductions in COVID-19 deaths are possible using ivermectin. Using ivermectin early in the clinical course may reduce numbers progressing to severe disease. The apparent safety and low cost suggest that ivermectin is likely to have a significant impact on the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic globally."

If further research confirms this, how many died unnecessarily because it was being used more widely? 

Also said it should be strongly considered for use as a prophylaxis. This is good news because in many places in the world the current vaccines are just not able to be viably distributed. Considering the temps it has to be stored and shipped and delivered it makes it almost impossible in some countries except in the most urban areas. That’s another reason I’ve been watching the novavax vaccine closely. It doesn’t need to frozen and can be kept at refrigerated temps. Overall these trials offer hope to many that acceptable treatments outside of vaccines (where those may not be available) can have positive outcomes. 

Whatever the case I hope we can soon end the horse jokes and unfortunate vitriol by some to denounce anything but the vaccine. This is good news for the world…and certainly for other future therapeutics that might come along later.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Also said it should be strongly considered for use as a prophylaxis. This is good news because in many places in the world the current vaccines are just not able to be viably distributed. Considering the temps it has to be stored and shipped and delivered it makes it almost impossible in some countries except in the most urban areas. That’s another reason I’ve been watching the novavax vaccine closely. It doesn’t need to frozen and can be kept at refrigerated temps. Overall these trials offer hope to many that acceptable treatments outside of vaccines (where those may not be available) can have positive outcomes. 

Whatever the case I hope we can soon end the horse jokes and unfortunate vitriol by some to denounce anything but the vaccine. This is good news for the world…and certainly for other future therapeutics that might come along later.

The more tools available to treat/prevent this virus the better. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Reacher said:

"Conclusions: 

Science requires considering and testing many variables. Absent of that, it isn't science. Follow the science. Although not a magic bullet, this is looking very promising. 

I saw this-

The U.N. General Assembly will ignore vaccine requirements for attendees at next week’s big meeting in New York, snubbing NYC rules for convention centers and public gatherings.

And was wondering if you, @Lostin76,  were ok with this. 

I'm fed up with the 2 sets of rules. 

Also don't like the segregation going on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1