Coronavirus

Reacher

58 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

The short answer is no.  I want to keep the incentive for innovation high in light of the Chinese bio-war threat.  If we are going to allocate taxpayer dollars foolishly, I'd rather overpay for defensive medicine research for this threat, because I only see it getting bigger after China has seen the havoc they've created.

Oh I agree I want innovation high but innovate against what??? You have to have a realized threat to know what your innovating towards.  Do you think Big Pharma is going to put that money into drugs and vaccines with no realized need? Imaginary threats? Especially when the govt does most of the funding for studying such things?? Drug companies are only going to produce products with a means at producing a profit. When the govt is willing to bank roll you and provide you all the data and research on the disease and buy up your drugs up front even if it doesn't work...why would you create drugs with no use? You don't even know what your creating for? Or are you saying putting those funds back into Govt agencies like the CDC and HHS etc to be better prepared and study emerging threats? I just don't see drug companies putting money into something that might not earn them a buck. They will be right back at square 1 when the next super virus comes along. Maybe I'm just not reading you correctly.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Just curious, have you come across The Game Changer Life? It's a podcast by Dave Anderson who wrote "The Intentional Mindset." I'm about half way through the book and picked it up because it was recommended by coaching colleagues. As I looked into is more, I found out that it's the book that Rob Phinessee read this offseason in an effort to develop his killer instinct. And then, I listened to the Tom Crean interview on Hoosier Hysterics and he was raving about it. So far there's a whole bunch of great insights in the book (similar to your example above) that I can definitely apply to myself and preach to my athletes. 

Similar to what you said and kind of like i mentioned to @FKIM01, you need to almost change the way you think about things. Rather than think, "i'm missing my favorite foods" (a negative).....you need to think "healthy foods make me feel better" (a positive). It sounds almost too simple and a bit corny, but it helps me. Another great thing I've taken away from the book and speak to my swimmers about is that "progress begins at the end of your comfort zone". Once an athlete can realize this, discomfort is welcomed because they attach the sensation to improvement (a positive) instead of pain or fear (a negative). This has lead to focused and intense practices. 

I haven't read/listened to those yet. I will definitely check them out! When you have a husky who needs a 2 mile walk each morning and night, there is a lot of time to listen. I'm trying to fill that time with things that could be useful, so I appreciate the suggestion! 

• Like 1

Really happy to see all of the talk on diet/exercise. 

I won’t say what the answer is for everyone, b/c I don’t know. But what works for me is eating healthier foods with a limited number of ingredients and lots of movement every day. If you can’t run or bike, walk. Do it early and do it often. Walking absolutley makes a HUGE difference. We noticed that when we moved from Indy (driving city) to NYC (walking city). 

For foods, I eat whole grains and non-processed foods. My goal started by saying I wouldn’t eat anything with more than five ingredients or anything with ingredients that I can’t pronounce or identify. I’ve relaxed that a bit, but it does help. When people say to avoid carbs or bread, I think that’s fairly unrealistic for long term. Just buy bread that’s made with bread ingredients - water, flour, and salt. It’s simple. Same with pasta. Don’t buy overly processed crap that the food industry is desperate for you to eat. There’s a reason grocery stores and fast food restaurants are designed like they are. They want and need you to eat more, more, more. 

Fad diets absolutley do not work - or they may work for a bit and then you yoyo back to that original weight. 

One thing that works for me is having a hot wife 11 years younger than I am. She runs marathons and is super acitve. It behooves me to do the same. 😂 I’m also a vegetarian, but I don’t think that’s necessary to lose weight. Just means I eat a lot more veggies and fruits, and avoid high fat, cholesterol red meat. 

I’m 53 and wear the same size in jeans I did in high school. Definitely in better shape and more muscle tone than back then though. 

• Like 4

Eating healthy doesn't have to be expensive or time consuming. 

I think the hardest thing for people to overcome when trying to lose weight is being uncomfortable at times, because you will be uncomfortable.  

But anything worth doing isn't easy. 

We've been following a guy named Bobby Parrish.  Has a YouTube channel and cookbooks called FlavCity. Pretty good stuff. 

People have way more resources today than in the past. Just have to look for it. 

@mrflynn03 and I and others have talked health, physical and mental in various places and times on this forum.  

Jan 1 i went 30 days no extra junk sugars or alcohol.  I determined to work out 3 or so days a week.  Sticking to it in the first 90 days is key, imo.  I went from dreading working out to thinking about my workout while I lay in bed.  What we are talking about here are habits and addictions.  I've read something before that it takes 6 weeks or 90 days to create a new habit??? Something like that.  Exercise physiologist will tell you it takes 3 times as long to build as it does to decay.  That fat you put on over the years is going to take some effort and time to get off.  Watch your sugar intake and look for healthy options.  It all comes down yo choices and its a mental battle.  Take up the fight for your family.  I turned 40 in June and I need to be there for my wife and boys for a long time to go.  All of this stuff greatly impacts your mental health too.

The guys and gals that contribute on t-nation are education, serious, and experienced and they dont want to waste time and money on stuff that doesn't work.     Ive been reading some of their articles.  https://www.t-nation.com/alpha-life/controversial-truth-about-exercise-and-nutrition/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

@mrflynn03 and I and others have talked health, physical and mental in various places and times on this forum.  

Jan 1 i went 30 days no extra junk sugars or alcohol.  I determined to work out 3 or so days a week.  Sticking to it in the first 90 days is key, imo.  I went from dreading working out to thinking about my workout while I lay in bed.  What we are talking about here are habits and addictions.  I've read something before that it takes 6 weeks or 90 days to create a new habit??? Something like that.  Exercise physiologist will tell you it takes 3 times as long to build as it does to decay.  That fat you put on over the years is going to take some effort and time to get off.  Watch your sugar intake and look for healthy options.  It all comes down yo choices and its a mental battle.  Take up the fight for your family.  I turned 40 in June and I need to be there for my wife and boys for a long time to go.  All of this stuff greatly impacts your mental health too.

The guys and gals that contribute on t-nation are education, serious, and experienced and they dont want to waste time and money on stuff that doesn't work.     Ive been reading some of their articles.  https://www.t-nation.com/alpha-life/controversial-truth-about-exercise-and-nutrition/

You mention t-nation. I pay attention to Dan John and Jim Wendler. 

Also like Pat McNamara combat strength training. 

3 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Really happy to see all of the talk on diet/exercise. 

I won’t say what the answer is for everyone, b/c I don’t know. But what works for me is eating healthier foods with a limited number of ingredients and lots of movement every day. If you can’t run or bike, walk. Do it early and do it often. Walking absolutley makes a HUGE difference. We noticed that when we moved from Indy (driving city) to NYC (walking city). 

For foods, I eat whole grains and non-processed foods. My goal started by saying I wouldn’t eat anything with more than five ingredients or anything with ingredients that I can’t pronounce or identify. I’ve relaxed that a bit, but it does help. When people say to avoid carbs or bread, I think that’s fairly unrealistic for long term. Just buy bread that’s made with bread ingredients - water, flour, and salt. It’s simple. Same with pasta. Don’t buy overly processed crap that the food industry is desperate for you to eat. There’s a reason grocery stores and fast food restaurants are designed like they are. They want and need you to eat more, more, more. 

Fad diets absolutley do not work - or they may work for a bit and then you yoyo back to that original weight. 

One thing that works for me is having a hot wife 11 years younger than I am. She runs marathons and is super acitve. It behooves me to do the same. 😂 I’m also a vegetarian, but I don’t think that’s necessary to lose weight. Just means I eat a lot more veggies and fruits, and avoid high fat, cholesterol red meat. 

I’m 53 and wear the same size in jeans I did in high school. Definitely in better shape and more muscle tone than back then though. 

^^ this is also sound advice based on my frequent scoldings at home.

• Haha 2

Getting back to Covid,  Why are we not being bombarded by the benefits of exercise and healthy eating? Why is it that nearly two years into this pandemic, getting early treatment for Covid-19 that can prevent hospitalization and death is still extremely difficult? 

These continued attempts to ignore proven methods of boosting the immunity and undermine early treatment protocols, as well as the constant attacks against anyone skeptical of the prevailing narrative, give the impression that certain interested parties are hesitant to bring the pandemic to an end.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Reacher said:

The key is moderation. Just eat half a bag at a time instead of the whole bag.

I know you joke...but honestly if you are just starting and it's hard....the little snack packs are wonderful because it's easier to manage your portions. We all know if you sit with a big bag of chips you will eat way way more than you intend. Not saying it's healthy but having those snack packs gives you a way to stop eating when the whole bag is gone lol. I know as a child I was always told to clean my plate...don't waste food etc so it was hard for me to get over throwing food away or with over-eating not to waste etc. I still struggle with that but now I just put smaller portions on my plate and then I don't over eat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

Thanks! Clone those puppies lol!!! The current treatments have been wonderful based on word of mouth of those down here that have utilized it. Unfortunately, the govt has cut back the shipments Florida has requested to keep up with the demand opting to evenly distribute it to states even though the need is not even throughout the country.

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

Getting back to Covid,  Why are we not being bombarded by the benefits of exercise and healthy eating? Why is it that nearly two years into this pandemic, getting early treatment for Covid-19 that can prevent hospitalization and death is still extremely difficult? 

These continued attempts to ignore proven methods of boosting the immunity and undermine early treatment protocols, as well as the constant attacks against anyone skeptical of the prevailing narrative, give the impression that certain interested parties are hesitant to bring the pandemic to an end.

I wish I could find it but unfortunately trying to find a Fauci quote on how to survive a pandemic is about like trying to find a needle in a haystack. It was from an interview several years ago but basically he said that the best way to combat a pandemic would be for people to have as healthy an immune system as possible. That was people's best way to survive. He kind of went on to explain how well natural immune system worked but that obviously constant research and stock piling of vaccines etc would be how to protect those who did not have a healthy immune system. Oh well....don't hear as much about that now...occassionaly he will do a pod cast mentioning it...but sadly it wasn't part of those daily briefings for the American public.

• Like 1

I'm sure it's been done and probably here at some point, but where are the statistics on overall death rates in the U.S.?  I'm not looking to debunk a pandemic, but I'll admit I'm a little curious about cause of death classifications and overall death rates should either confirm those classifications or raise questions.

22 hours ago, dgambill said:

Oh I agree I want innovation high but innovate against what??? You have to have a realized threat to know what your innovating towards.  Do you think Big Pharma is going to put that money into drugs and vaccines with no realized need? Imaginary threats? Especially when the govt does most of the funding for studying such things?? Drug companies are only going to produce products with a means at producing a profit. When the govt is willing to bank roll you and provide you all the data and research on the disease and buy up your drugs up front even if it doesn't work...why would you create drugs with no use? You don't even know what your creating for? Or are you saying putting those funds back into Govt agencies like the CDC and HHS etc to be better prepared and study emerging threats? I just don't see drug companies putting money into something that might not earn them a buck. They will be right back at square 1 when the next super virus comes along. Maybe I'm just not reading you correctly.

You're overcomplicating my point.  You don't really need a specific immediate threat.  General threats, such as cancer and heart disease are sufficient to keep researchers interested.  Big Pharma has been working on the mRNA vaccines for years before COVID was a thing. 

If you want to kill the drive for innovation, confiscate a huge percentage of the resulting profits.  The desire for the opposite effect is why R&D tax credits are a part of just about any tax package proposed.

25 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You're overcomplicating my point.  You don't really need a specific immediate threat.  General threats, such as cancer and heart disease are sufficient to keep researchers interested.  Big Pharma has been working on the mRNA vaccines for years before COVID was a thing. 

If you want to kill the drive for innovation, confiscate a huge percentage of the resulting profits.  The desire for the opposite effect is why R&D tax credits are a part of just about any tax package proposed.

I understand. I'm not talking about all or every scenario etc....just in this specific example due to the fact that much of the research and development was assisted and basically all of the risk and promoting was done by the govt. I understand their research into mrna was innovative and was invested in over many years but honestly it is no more effective then non mrna vaccines. We have several vaccines globally that are as or more effective then the mrna...even against variatnt...many with lesser side effects. Because they choose to utilize this technology I'm not sure it was at all absolutely necessary. I just think in this unique circumstance at some point pharma could see that they hardly designed this vaccine alone and could decide that the best approach is to waive some of their future profits so that they can be redirected for the greater good (whether to support further govt research/assist in the global fallout/reimburse american tax payers). I mean I know they do this with many drugs in a way....they constantly discount their drugs globally while charging the most they can in the US. It's no secret that the US citizens have carried a huge burden of the cost for much of the global innovation and distribution of medications. Just be nice to try to give back a little when those people are suffering especially hard during this pandemic.

Here is something I found hilarious...yet kind of sad in a way. So I was checking on my fantasy football team and reading the message boards about one of my players Antonio Brown. So he plays for Tampa Bay a team that is all vaccinated. All staff...all support staff....all players...including Brown. So he tested positive for Covid. The message board was in utter disbelief and shock (also dismay that they couldn't play their star receiver). Most replying they didn't even know that was even possible. Others upset saying why did I get vaccinated...I felt lied to knowing it won't keep me from getting covid. Just on and on with similar expressions lol. It's just weird to see so many people so uninformed about Covid and that they blindly took a vaccine not knowing what it would do and how it could or might protect them. Anyways...I shouldn't be surprised about the ignorance around COVID...it's on BOTH SIDES obviously but man so crazy that many people are only being informed because a vaccinated football player got covid lol. 

• Like 1