Coronavirus

Reacher

13 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Piece of trash - would fit in well with the NYPD. 

I watched the video, and read the story with it...

The officer was trying to enforce a mandate, correct? If they're  going to have mandates, but not enforce them, then what's the use?

What should he have done? Like a lot of things nowadays this is being blown a bit out of proportion. She said he was choking her, yet she was still able to speak. She resisted arrest, kicked an officer, and was subdued. 

While I do think there needs to be some sort of police reform in this country, many situations with the police can be avoided by simply complying with what they ask you to do.

The officers that do get carried away should face due process through the judicial system.

Unfortunately, that's not the case in some instances.The BS spread about Border Patrol Agents "whipping" illegal Haitian immigrants is a good example. Anyone who knows anything about horse knows a split rein is used to control the horse, not as a weapon. No illegal immigrants were touched by the split reins, yet now it's being portrayed as a crime akin to horrible acts committed during slavery. 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I watched the video, and read the story with it...

The officer was trying to enforce a mandate, correct? If they're  going to have mandates, but not enforce them, then what's the use?

What should he have done? Like a lot of things nowadays this is being blown a bit out of proportion. She said he was choking her, yet she was still able to speak. She resisted arrest, kicked an officer, and was subdued. 

While I do think there needs to be some sort of police reform in this country, many situations with the police can be avoided by simply complying with what they ask you to do.

The officers that do get carried away should face due process through the judicial system.

Unfortunately, that's not the case in some instances.The BS spread about Border Patrol Agents "whipping" illegal Haitian immigrants is a good example. Anyone who knows anything about horse knows a split rein is used to control the horse, not as a weapon. No illegal immigrants were touched by the split reins, yet now it's being portrayed as a crime akin to horrible acts committed during slavery. 

I guess the way I saw it is it could have been avoided if the police chose to ignore someone who was outside. Instead they chose to close distance and instigate. There are plenty of examples of Australian police abusing the people. 

Plus, what a weak man if that was the only way he was able subdue a woman. 

The border patrol thing is ridiculous and idiots who have probably never seen a horse in real life except the one in the mirror should not opine. 

The real question though, how did so many poor Haitians get to Del Rio, Texas?  Somebody paid for it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I guess the way I saw it is it could have been avoided

Sure it could have...

If there wasn't a mandate it could have been avoided...

If she had told the officer she had an exception rather than giving him the finger (which she admitted here) it could have been avoided...

If she hadn't resisted arrest it could have been avoided...

Do I agree with everything the officer did? No, but her actions were the catalyst for his actions...

If you want mandates but don't want them enforced, then they aren't worth the paper they're written on...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Sure it could have...

If there wasn't a mandate it could have been avoided...

If she had told the officer she had an exception rather than giving him the finger (which she admitted here) it could have been avoided...

If she hadn't resisted arrest it could have been avoided...

Do I agree with everything the officer did? No, but her actions were the catalyst for his actions...

If you want mandates but don't want them enforced, then they aren't worth the paper they're written on...

I guess I would make a terrible cop. I'd rather take a nap or watch Netflix than bother with people like that. 

But I would issue turn signal violations like no other. 

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I guess I would make a terrible cop. I'd rather take a nap or watch Netflix than bother with people like that. 

But I would issue turn signal violations like no other. 

My younger brother left law enforcement for that reason. Do you enforce the letter of the law? The spirit of same law? He no longer wanted to be in a position to where he was deciding the law, rather than enforcing it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Social media can be a great tool but I largely stay away from it.

I just wonder if alot of the hateful vile stuff people type is internet tough talk or if they really live their life that way. Sad if they do. 

Did anybody see the WaPo piece that got a hold of of all the internal studies that FaceBook has done? The ones that say people are more depressed and suicidal because of social media? The ones that show their algorithms are highly addictive divide people? Again these are internal studies and they are doing absolutely nothing about it. 

If you want to get angry, listen to any interview with Tristan Harris, a former employee of Facebook. The algorithms bring posts with the most comments and activity to the top of your feed. Naturally these tend to be highly divisive and extreme posts that get people to fight. Many of these posts are false, greatly spun, and/or have sensational headlines for the sole purpose of getting this type of engagement. Because high engagement equals clicks. Clicks equal advertising. Advertising equals money.

FB makes its money off of our data so they can allow corporations to hyper target advertising to us. And even more messed up, we willingly give FB our data FOR FREE. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Did anybody see the WaPo piece that got a hold of of all the internal studies that FaceBook has done? The ones that say people are more depressed and suicidal because of social media? The ones that show their algorithms are highly addictive divide people? Again these are internal studies and they are doing absolutely nothing about it. 

If you want to get angry, listen to any interview with Tristan Harris, a former employee of Facebook. The algorithms bring posts with the most comments and activity to the top of your feed. Naturally these tend to be highly divisive and extreme posts that get people to fight. Many of these posts are false, greatly spun, and/or have sensational headlines for the sole purpose of getting this type of engagement. Because high engagement equals clicks. Clicks equal advertising. Advertising equals money.

FB makes its money off of our data so they can allow corporations to hyper target advertising to us. And even more messed up, we willingly give FB our data FOR FREE. 

We? 
I’m sure they wind up with my data eventually, but they work for mine. 

The only identifiable presence I have on any major social media platform is LinkedIn, and I’m rarely ever logged in there. I have YouTube and Reddit accounts, but they’re registered through burner email accounts that were never used again. My browsers block all advertising and tracking activity, including the infamous “pixel”.  My phone is rarely ever connected to WiFi, and location services are off unless I have the GPS directions actively running. I don’t use apps if I can help it. I log into mobile sites through a browser. 
Even my home automation stuff gets registered to burner email accounts, and are connected to a separate WiFi network than regular home internet traffic. 

Again, I’m under no illusion that they’re not getting my life information somehow, but I do get the satisfaction of at least making them jump through a couple of hoops to get it. 

Best part…..I don’t have to deal with all their addictive algorithms. I can waste plenty of time without any assistance, dammit. :coffee: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I sincerely hope that's not the case...Good luck... 

Wife is positive and I am negative although we all (including the nurse that called us) feel like I'm just a day behind her, since her headaches started Thursday evening and mine started Friday evening.  We were both full vaccinated (Pfizer) by the end of March, so we are officially "breakthrough" cases.

So, we'll be spending the week isolated.  Thus far, the symptoms are headaches, many trips to the bathroom and some occasional nausea that is relieved by (oddly enough) belching.  Based on how my unvaccinated friends have fared with COVID, I will say that our symptoms, thus far at least, are very mild in comparison.  I just knew by last night that something was definitely "off" and when my wife said this morning that she'd already made three trips to the bathroom and felt like neither of us should go to church, I told her I'd already came to the same conclusion.

Timing is terrible...my company has a big cookout at the park scheduled for Friday with roughly 100 RSVPs and my wife's family reunion is next Sunday so we'll be missing all of that.  Also have to reschedule all appointments for the week and I'll have to sneak back into the office Thursday night to do payroll.  I've got all the vaccination/booster/natural immunity questions rolling around in my head as well.  The nurse told us that we didn't qualify for the monoclonal antibody infusion (no significant risk factors).

This too shall pass, but right now, I'm mostly annoyed by all the inconvenience.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Wife is positive and I am negative although we all (including the nurse that called us) feel like I'm just a day behind her, since her headaches started Thursday evening and mine started Friday evening.  We were both full vaccinated (Pfizer) by the end of March, so we are officially "breakthrough" cases.

So, we'll be spending the week isolated.  Thus far, the symptoms are headaches, many trips to the bathroom and some occasional nausea that is relieved by (oddly enough) belching.  Based on how my unvaccinated friends have fared with COVID, I will say that our symptoms, thus far at least, are very mild in comparison.  I just knew by last night that something was definitely "off" and when my wife said this morning that she'd already made three trips to the bathroom and felt like neither of us should go to church, I told her I'd already came to the same conclusion.

Timing is terrible...my company has a big cookout at the park scheduled for Friday with roughly 100 RSVPs and my wife's family reunion is next Sunday so we'll be missing all of that.  Also have to reschedule all appointments for the week and I'll have to sneak back into the office Thursday night to do payroll.  I've got all the vaccination/booster/natural immunity questions rolling around in my head as well.  The nurse told us that we didn't qualify for the monoclonal antibody infusion (no significant risk factors).

This too shall pass, but right now, I'm mostly annoyed by all the inconvenience.

If you are quarantining, Should'nt that payroll actually wait? Why risk it?

8 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

If you are quarantining, Should'nt that payroll actually wait? Why risk it?

Ah, there's no real risk.  I won't be around anyone going in on Thursday night.  I have my own entrance, even my own bathroom at the office.  I did ask the employees and they were OK with me coming in Thursday night after they clocked out.

Edited by FKIM01

7 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Ah, there's no real risk.  I won't be around anyone going in on Thursday night.  I have my own entrance, even my own bathroom at the office.  I did ask the employees and they were OK with me coming in Thursday night after they clocked out.

Well not to sound harsh, but I hope you actually have it. I also hope you have extremely mild (or no) symptoms at all so you have the highest level of immunity known to man, to date. If all of that comes true, you should be pretty risk free from here on out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Sorry to hear that...hoping for a quick recovery for both of you...

A few of us disagree about this disease, the politicizing of it, how we should handle things like mandates and information, but I think we're all united in wanting it to go away...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Well not to sound harsh, but I hope you actually have it. I also hope you have extremely mild (or no) symptoms at all so you have the highest level of immunity known to man, to date. If all of that comes true, you should be pretty risk free from here on out!

I'd say the probability is very high given my wife's positive test and our extremely similar symptoms.  I'm with you in hoping this stays mild and gives me strong immunity.  I'll keep you posted on my progress but hopefully, by the end of the week, I'm free of this stuff.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Good luck! Get your rest and big doses of Vitamin C and D. Hopefully you will at least be feeling better real soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

I always wonder the same thing. Would they say those things to someone in person? Probably not.

I deleted my Facebook profile about five years ago, and drastically cut down on who/what I follow on Twitter. Political accounts were largely unfollowed or muted. I am still on Instagram, b/c it’s a steady stream of dogs, road bikes, and gardening - the things that make me happy.

This is the closest to social media that I use. I deleted everything as well. I of course get media online but avoid the chatter on the comment section etc. I use reddit but only when I need/want info on hunting or video games...nothing political (and it seems the rest is political). I read/hear about important headlines and then I probably spend more time researching them then the avg person. Across a very wide gambit of political leaning websites I'm sure. If you looked at my search history you probably wouldn't know if I'm conservative or liberal lol. It is getting harder and harder to get to the truth of much though I admit. There are a few journalist that shoot pretty straight but almost everyone at the media outlets are not longer journalist but rather ideologs who have an agenda and are opinionist and not journalist. Journalism by and large is on life support. Anyways yeah...I turned off all that noise with facebook, twitter, etc because....one I don't care what celebrities think (sports/entertainment). Why would I want to base my opinions on say climate change on what a person who never went to college by and large and plays pretend for a living thinks....or social justice based on what some Ivy League Lawyer says who lives in an ivory tower/bubble. I could go on and on. Most importantly I just don't want to hear something stupid come from one of my friends and that in turn effect how I may view or possibly feel about them or would bring down my mood. My wife complains to me on a daily basis what her work friends say/comment on and old high school and college friends post.....I don't know why she follows it. Inevitably your going to find offense or maybe just stupid what they say and do eventually on some subject and then be all shocked and hurt when you see it. I'd rather remember my friends for the way we all were growing up and having fun and loving each other and not all the differences we all have now because we get some limited picture into their lives/thoughts. I like to think I'm much happier because of it. Lot's less stress and hopefully live a longer life. If I could set it up to stream happy thoughts like you...maybe I'd go back lol.

• Like 1

SIAP But saw this this morning...

pill to treat COVID could be coming soon, scientists say

"According to Kaiser Health News, these drugs work by blocking “the virus’s ability to replicate in human cells.”

But they are still months away from being approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)."

The vaccine got "fast tracked" which has been an obvious benefit, so why wouldn't the current administration put the same emphasis on this?

• Like 4

Day four...feel fine, to be honest...zero respiratory issues and headache/GI issues from yesterday  are not present at the moment.  Wife feels mostly fine as well (a little stomach nausea and a little tired, but that's it).  Unless our condition goes backwards, I won't update anymore.  I was very anxious about respiratory issues as I have an unvaccinated friend that had to go to the ER last night (day 12) with respiratory issues.  They think he's on the downhill side of it, but it's been pretty rough on him.  He was literally wanting to get COVID and get it over with, but I think he has a new level of respect for it now.

Unless things change, I'm convinced that being vaccinated definitely has helped us dealing with COVID.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

In our state there is a standing order/referral from the Surgeon General for treatment. One does not need to have a referral from a doctor of physician. Simply call and make an appointment. I don't know about your state/guidelines. Vaccinated or not they can receive treatment. If you guys are feeling significantly crappy or feel it is getting worse I'd contact your nearest treatment facility and see what they say. Most say you need to meet a certain risk group etc etc and even if you don't have a pre-existing condition etc it doesn't hurt to call. Don't just take what your nurse says as truth she/he may not know. Many try to reserve it for only high risk but it's for everyone. They may give you treatment regardless if you truly want that. https://covid.infusioncenter.org/

Edited by dgambill

10 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Day four...feel fine, to be honest...zero respiratory issues and headache/GI issues from yesterday  are not present at the moment.  Wife feels mostly fine as well (a little stomach nausea and a little tired, but that's it).  Unless our condition goes backwards, I won't update anymore.  I was very anxious about respiratory issues as I have an unvaccinated friend that had to go to the ER last night (day 12) with respiratory issues.  They think he's on the downhill side of it, but it's been pretty rough on him.  He was literally wanting to get COVID and get it over with, but I think he has a new level of respect for it now.

Unless things change, I'm convinced that being vaccinated definitely has helped us dealing with COVID.

Disregard my post above...I was putting together before I got your message lol.

• Thanks 1