Coronavirus

Reacher

12 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I work in the microbiology lab for the 2nd largest contract pharmaceutical company in the world. I haven't taken the vaccine. Alot of others haven't either. 

Have alot of coworkers who have taken it and had adverse reactions and refuse to take the boosters. 

I am interested in monoclonal antibody injections and oral anti virals. 

I'm not anti vax but I've had this crap and survived and so has my wife. 

My BIL went into icu just a few days after getting the vaccine my sister unvaccinated.

They both got covid. She recovered in less than a week, he died after 36 days in icu. Nothing makes sense. 

I don't like bringing politics or religion to these boards, or social media in general.  But I believe with every fiber of my being, that we all have a time to die.  You can be fully vaccinated,  sitting inside a tank, surrounded by personal protection.  When your number is called,  that's it.  The bible says, god knows when we will die before we are even born. 

Im not a bible thumper nor do I preach to anyone.  But the current events certainly bring back the things my grandmother tried so hard to beat in my head.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

@hoosier_exotics

Almost 2 years in, no new hospitals have been built, no hospital ships or emergency overflow built but let's fire hospital workers who have been working unvaccinated for 18 months. 

Seriously, think about it people. Holy F@#k. 

Yeah, it makes zero sense. Very frustrating! I have multiple nurses and Dr's in my family.  Some have been vaccinated,  but say they won't take the boosters. The other's haven't taken the shot, and are preparing to leave the medical field when the mandate hits.

36 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I don't like bringing politics or religion to these boards, or social media in general.  But I believe with every fiber of my being, that we all have a time to die.  You can be fully vaccinated,  sitting inside a tank, surrounded by personal protection.  When your number is called,  that's it.  The bible says, god knows when we will die before we are even born. 

Im not a bible thumper nor do I preach to anyone.  But the current events certainly bring back the things my grandmother tried so hard to beat in my head.

When it comes to the bible I was taught the same way as you describe.  If it's your time it is what it is. I was also taught to fight and never give up.

Jesus once said sell your cloak and get a sword.

Well my sword is on backorder but can buy another one whenever I want. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

When it comes to the bible I was taught the same way as you describe.  If it's your time it is what it is. I was also taught to fight and never give up.

Jesus once said sell your cloak and get a sword.

Well my sword is on backorder but can buy another one whenever I want. 

I don't believe this shot is the "mark " but it feels like a friggen trial run. Passports to enter to eat, losing jobs, forcing people to choose the ability to raise and feed their family.  People who have been raised religious in any fashion, have to see warning signs. 

Trust me I'm not a bible thumper in any manner.  I much rather post dirty jokes in the comic area, but holy hell this shit is literally written in a book. And it certainly to me feels like its playing out right in front of us

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 9:50 AM, Seeking6 said:

I did the same about a month ago. So funny how 18 months can change things. 

I said way back on page 1, I was worried about supply chain. This has been going on ever since then, but to help you understand. Just the latest in an ever increasing line, this morning I got the latest update on my shipment that normally would have been delivered 2weeks ago. “Vessel moving to drift to wait for dock”

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

I said way back on page 1, I was worried about supply chain. This has been going on ever since then, but to help you understand. Just the latest in an ever increasing line, this morning I got the latest update on my shipment that normally would have been delivered 2weeks ago. “Vessel moving to drift to wait for dock”

Last I saw there was like 60 ships waiting to unload at the port of LA.

In other news, Should we expect this here?

https://www.science.org/news/2021/08/grim-warning-israel-vaccination-blunts-does-not-defeat-delta

What is clear is that “breakthrough” cases are not the rare events the term implies. As of 15 August, 514 Israelis were hospitalized with severe or critical COVID-19, a 31% increase from just 4 days earlier. Of the 514, 59% were fully vaccinated. Of the vaccinated, 87% were 60 or older. “There are so many breakthrough infections that they dominate and most of the hospitalized patients are actually vaccinated,” says Uri Shalit, a bioinformatician at the Israel Institute of Technology (Technion) who has consulted on COVID-19 for the government. “One of the big stories from Israel [is]: ‘Vaccines work, but not well enough.’”

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

2 of my college friends who are (well, were) nurses have been fired for not getting the Vax. They went from being heros and saving lives all of last year, to being fired, even though they have natural immunity. Scary times. 

Not sure why their hospitals or clinics aren't following the science.  

Natural immunity is proven to be better.  Brings out the conspiracy theorist in me.  

• Like 3

My friend works for IU Health and a large majority of patients polled said they wanted they wanted to be treated by vaccinated nurses, techs and doctors. 

So something has to give in some direction. 

Hospitals are ultimately a business, and clouding the narrative in this discussion is the evaluation of feedback from their customers and employees. The whole thing may suck but hospitals can't be in the business of ignoring patient feedback to appease a minority of their staff (97% of staff are vaccinated for IU Health). Not to mention that many patients in a hospital are compromised in some way and are at much greater risk of infection (as are staff) than your average joe in your normal environment outside of a healthcare setting.

Only speaking for myself, but if I had a choice of a vaccinated doctor or an unvaccinated doctor delivering my next kid, or one operating on my heart, I'm going to request the one who is vaxed every day of the week and twice on Sunday. And I'm guessing many would make that same decision. 

I understand the argument and the perception that hospitals are being heavy handed in their mandates, but as we've found out many times in this pandemic, no solution is going to appease everybody. Hard choices are being made.

Edited by tdhoosier

8 minutes ago, Reacher said:

The NBA is not paying the unvaxxed and not even letting them eat with vaccinated players. A sign of what is to come elsewhere? If a player has natural immunity, I'd think they would have a good legal argument to challenge that.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-nba-business-sports-health-34d44889f90e252dd74fb7fd128a0759

Not paying them if they can't play....I'm pretty sure they are in a union...and that wasn't part of their collective bargaining agreement. If it isn't in their contract I'm not sure how they can do that. The not eating with them stuff just sounds childish....not sure about legality.

15 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

My friend works for IU Health and a large majority of patients polled said they wanted they wanted to be treated by vaccinated nurses, techs and doctors. 

Hospitals are ultimately a business, and clouding the narrative in this discussion is the evaluation of feedback from their customers and employees. The whole thing may suck but hospitals can't be in the business of ignoring patient feedback to appease a minority of their staff, 97% of whom are vaccinated for IU Health. Not to mention that many patients in a hospital are compromised in some way and are at much greater risk of infection (as are staff) than your average joe in your normal environment outside of a healthcare setting.

Only speaking for myself, but if I had a choice of a vaccinated doctor or an unvaccinated doctor delivering my next kid, or one operating on my heart, I'm going to request the one who is vaxed every day of the week and twice on Sunday. And I'm guessing many would make that same decision. 

I understand the argument and the perception that hospitals are being heavy handed in their mandates, but as we've found out many times in this pandemic, no solution is going to appease everybody. Hard choices are being made.

I'd like to know if my doctor/nurse has HIV or Hepatitis or a number of other ailments. I'd like to know if they are on anti-depressants and all sorts of other medical/drug related background etc etc....but I'm not allowed to know....and never asked nor expect to have a right to know...not sure that is even remotely a consideration for hospitals. This is doesn't make scientific sense...and it doesn't make moral sense....and honestly it makes even LESS business sense. Your going to skyrocket the cost of healthcare and lower the quality of care by short staffing your hospital and being forced to fly in and overpay for travel nurses/doctors etc.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Good article discussing issues facing the supply chain-

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/29/business/supply-chain-workers/index.html

17 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Hospitals are ultimately a business, and clouding the narrative in this discussion is the evaluation of feedback from their customers and employees. The whole thing may suck but hospitals can't be in the business of ignoring patient feedback to appease a minority of their staff, 97% of whom are vaccinated for IU Health. Not to mention that many patients in a hospital are compromised in some way and are at much greater risk of infection (as are staff) than your average joe in your normal environment outside of a healthcare setting.

Same in our hospital system. Patients have expressed an overwhelming preference for their caregivers to be vaccinated. So much so that they would switch their care elsewhere to be get that assurance. That is a factor for sure, but the number one factor is patient safety. Many of these patients are immunocompromised. We take our commitment to the patient very seriously. 

And we don’t want to lose staff, but if the staff would rather not take a shot, then they can do that and work elsewhere. 

31 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

May be accurate or may be the result of a slanted agenda-driven poll.  Were healthcare workers with natural immunity explained or given as a polling choice? I honestly wouldn't be shocked if the polling question was phrased as "Would you be willing to accept the risk of infection by having an unvaccinated nurse sneezing in your face?"

With all the lies, manipulation and misinformation coming from our "leaders", I'd like to see the poll questionnaire before deciding how good a poll that is.

I'll never forget Dr. Fauci himself admitting to telling a "noble lie".  That was a WTF moment for me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Same in our hospital system. Patients have expressed an overwhelming preference for their caregivers to be vaccinated. So much so that they would switch their care elsewhere to be get that assurance. That is a factor for sure, but the number one factor is patient safety. Many of these patients are immunocompromised. We take our commitment to the patient very seriously. 

And we don’t want to lose staff, but if the staff would rather not take a shot, then they can do that and work elsewhere. 

I should add, this is no different than what we do with the flu vaccine EVERY year. You can either get it, or refuse to get it and go work someplace else. This is not unique to COVID - as much of this is not different than other vaccines in the past.

Only thing different this time around is politicians making asses of everyone to score points and divide us. 

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I should add, this is no different than what we do with the flu vaccine EVERY year. You can either get it, or refuse to get it and go work someplace else. This is not unique to COVID - as much of this is not different than other vaccines in the past.

Only thing different this time around is politicians making asses of everyone to score points and divide us. 

So a flu shot is a condition for employment? 

I've never heard of that, even in the military...

Edit: Just looked and most articles are saying a flu shot is "required" for active duty personnel, but I don't remember it that way...Of course, it's been 20 years since I retired...

Edit II: Getting a flu shot has never been a requirement for Government employment...It's strictly voluntary...They do offer flu shots on site during certain times of the year at my facility

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Make that 3. NYC and 2 in Ohio. 

What an embarrassment by those hospitals. "patients want caregivers who are vaxxxed" is an awful argument for making your employees get a vax. 

I want to teach kids who listen. I want to teach kids who's parents value you education. I want parents to do their job as parents and start raising productive members of society instead of making public schools do it. 

Literally... all a hospital would have to do is say "no, we aren't making our employees get a vax, if you don't like it, find another hospital." It's really not that hard to have a backbone when dealing with the general public. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

May be accurate or may be the result of a slanted agenda-driven poll.  Were healthcare workers with natural immunity explained or given as a polling choice? I honestly wouldn't be shocked if the polling question was phrased as "Would you be willing to accept the risk of infection by having an unvaccinated nurse sneezing in your face?"

With all the lies, manipulation and misinformation coming from our "leaders", I'd like to see the poll questionnaire before deciding how good a poll that is.

I'll never forget Dr. Fauci himself admitting to telling a "noble lie".  That was a WTF moment for me.

This 

I'll add that I'm finishing up my 10-day quarantine from a mild case of COVID...actually feel great and am convinced that the vaccine played a key role for ME.  That being said, I had a good friend who damn near died before vaccines were even available.  I'm a believer in "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" and I'll bet his antibody level is very strong even without a vaccine.  For all I know, it could be stronger than mine even having my vaccine and a mild subsequent case of COVID.  I think it's ridiculous for a HEALTH CARE organization to ignore natural immunity as an alternative for their employees.

What the hell happened to "follow the science"?!!

• Like 4