Coronavirus

Reacher

16 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

What I do know is not one person in my group is willing to get another shot because they felt so badly after the first 2 doses.  So good luck getting people to take the booster shots.

This isn’t placing judgement on the Moderna vaccine, just my firsthand observation. My wife had the Moderna shots, I had the Pfizer. She’s an ACNP that is around immuno-compromised patients that have a whole host of conditions (including COVID) 3-4 days a week. You’d expect her to have the immune system of a tank. The Moderna shots knocked her off her feet for a good day or so both times. The Pfizer shots….made my shoulder feel like I pitched a complete game. Nothing Advil didn’t take care of. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

This isn’t placing judgement on the Moderna vaccine, just my firsthand observation. My wife had the Moderna shots, I had the Pfizer. She’s an ACNP that is around immuno-compromised patients that have a whole host of conditions (including COVID) 3-4 days a week. You’d expect her to have the immune system of a tank. The Moderna shots knocked her off her feet for a good day or so both times. The Pfizer shots….made my shoulder feel like I pitched a complete game. Nothing Advil didn’t take care of. 

I'm not anti-vaxx.  Consider me hesitant with this particular vaccine. 

If I am forced into it based on my research and people I know that have had it, I would choose the one dose Phizer. 

I work for a contract Pharma company that produces both Moderna and J&J vaccines legally thats all I'm allowed to disclose.

Anyway, Moderna released a batch for employees.  

Side effects got to the level they released a policy if you got vaccinated and had a reaction they had up to a week off paid. 

I'm my group, nobody is willing to get another. 2 people went to the ER and my manager had a severe reaction but recovered.

I really think poor health and comorbities may play a part in vaccine reactions. 

The conversation needs to shift towards people living a healthier lifestyle.  Me included.  I try but can do better. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Reacher said:

How do they account for this?

"American Airlines cancelled 63 flights Sunday, while United cancelled nine trips." 

55 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

How do they account for this?

"American Airlines cancelled 63 flights Sunday, while United cancelled nine trips." 

United cancelled 9 flights in total, or directly related to the issue in question? If they cancelled 9 flights in total, I'd say that's probably within the bounds of a normal operating day. 

9 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

I imagine that there are anecdotes about folks having a bad reaction to all three vaccines.  I heard it while waiting after my first dose of the Moderna.  It caused zero difficulties for me.  I'm 71, 166 lbs and seldom drink alcohol or eat red meat.  At this point, get the vaccines or don't get them, I'm done caring because Covid's here to stay.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

United cancelled 9 flights in total, or directly related to the issue in question? If they cancelled 9 flights in total, I'd say that's probably within the bounds of a normal operating day. 

They didn't specify, but still the discrepancy in numbers compared to Southwest casts doubt on the whole thing...

And I'll guarantee you this didn't happen...

" A rumor is circulating in traditional and social, media outlets stating JAX Center was closed due to an organized walkout late Friday by controllers in response to the FAA's mandate that all employees get vaccinated for COVID."

Closed would mean an ATC Zero event and my phone would have been blowing up. Our airspace abuts ZJX's so we'd have had to gone into contingency mode (which my shop, automation, plays a huge part in). 

If this part is true (and I have no idea what the "FFAA"  is...Future Farmers Aviation Administration?)

'A contact at FFAA confirmed they did have some staffing issues at JAX center last Friday, however, those staffing issued were due to the following: Normal approved leave (and) controllers who received either their first or second dose of the vaccine and by policy are required to stay home for 48 hours to self monitor for side effects ... thus creating some staffing issues.'  

then a ZJX Front Line Manager doesn't know how to schedule his people...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

They didn't specify, but still the discrepancy in numbers compared to Southwest casts doubt on the whole thing...

And I'll guarantee you this didn't happen...

" A rumor is circulating in traditional and social, media outlets stating JAX Center was closed due to an organized walkout late Friday by controllers in response to the FAA's mandate that all employees get vaccinated for COVID."

Closed would mean an ATC Zero event and my phone would have been blowing up. Our airspace abuts ZJX's so we'd have had to gone into contingency mode (which my shop, automation, plays a huge part in). 

If this part is true (and I have no idea what the "FFAA"  is...Future Farmers Aviation Administration?)

'A contact at FFAA confirmed they did have some staffing issues at JAX center last Friday, however, those staffing issued were due to the following: Normal approved leave (and) controllers who received either their first or second dose of the vaccine and by policy are required to stay home for 48 hours to self monitor for side effects ... thus creating some staffing issues.'  

then a ZJX Front Line Manager doesn't know how to schedule his people...

Just so I follow here. In your opinion because of your position....this is a scheduling error or problem and not related to any walkouts because of vaccine requirement? That's the way I'm reading but just want to make sure. 

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just so I follow here. In your opinion because of your position....this is a scheduling error or problem and not related to any walkouts because of vaccine requirement? That's the way I'm reading but just want to make sure. 

That’s what I was going to ask. Is this Southwest creating a whole bunch of excuses (that aren’t sticking) to save face for what was really them overbooking flights? 

I was on a Southwest flight Saturday afternoon returning from Mexico.  The pilots/attendants on our plane said it wasn't weather related, but due to the new mandate.  After coming through US customs, the airport at Southwest was a mad house with people trying to get to Florida/Disney and Southwest cancelling flights.  The lucky ones got rental cars until those also sold out.  The rest had to head back home and either drive or reschedule their flight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Yes

56 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

That’s what I was going to ask. Is this Southwest creating a whole bunch of excuses (that aren’t sticking) to save face for what was really them overbooking flights? 

Yes, but I think it's more the stance of their pilot's union than overbooking...

• Like 2

I read that some Southwest pilots maybe using sick days before they get fired for refusing to be vaccinated. This sounds logical and makes sense to me. Nothing coordinated, just a collection of individuals making their own decisions. Southwest appears to be thinly staffed and behind on their 2021 hiring. It wouldn't take much of a shortage to cascade into bigger problems as they are unable to get crews where they are needed. 

27 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I read that some Southwest pilots maybe using sick days before they get fired for refusing to be vaccinated. This sounds logical and makes sense to me. Nothing coordinated, just a collection of individuals making their own decisions. Southwest appears to be thinly staffed and behind on their 2021 hiring. It wouldn't take much of a shortage to cascade into bigger problems as they are unable to get crews where they are needed. 

I'm not sure it's not coordinated...just not publicly 😉

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Reacher said:

CNN reports that 4.3 million workers quit their jobs in August.

Just read that as well.  Here's a link with more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/10/12/jolts-workers-quitting-august-pandemic/

Nick Bunker, economist at the jobs site Indeed, said the numbers were a reflection of the options workers have in the current economic market, with job openings outnumbering unemployed workers and people reevaluating what they want to do.

The high level of people quitting their jobs was likely due in large part to people leaving jobs to take other positions, although the data doesn’t specify why people are quitting and where they are ending up.

“This really elevated rate of people quitting their job is a sign that workers have lots of confidence and they have relatively stronger bargaining positions than they’ve had in the past,” Bunker said. “There’s lots of demand, and people are seizing that opportunity and quitting their job.”

Jennifer Booth quit her information technology job at a national retailer in August, after months of working as many as 90 hours a week during the pandemic to help the company revamp its e-commerce system. The final straw came when the chain began moving hundreds of finance and tech jobs overseas, she said.

“To be working as much as humanly possible for all of 2020 and then get told we don't matter? It felt like crap,” said Booth, 48, of Denver.

Honestly, I'm all for workers (most likely... all of us!) getting more leverage here.  Big businesses have made plenty of money.  Let's give some back to all of the little guys.

The anecdote about this woman's job is painful.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Just read that as well.  Here's a link with more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/10/12/jolts-workers-quitting-august-pandemic/

Honestly, I'm all for workers (most likely... all of us!) getting more leverage here.  Big businesses have made plenty of money.  Let's give some back to all of the little guys.

Although I’m going crazy at work with these supply chain issues, I do try to think this is the silver lining. I can’t remember a time in my adult life when workers had this much leverage. I know so many people who after the housing bubble burst in 2008 took on roles of 2 or even 3 positions during those lay offs and still haven’t been relieved 12 years later. Having one employee do the work of 2 or 3 is more profitable for those companies. Meanwhile, those savings get sucked up to the top. So many companies take, take, take. Take away bonuses. Take away benefits. Decrease commission structures. They burn you out trying to reach quotas….and once you reach them, they reward you with a pat on the back and tougher quotas to reach. 

I hope this minor reset may be good in the long run, especially if it drives up wages and benefits.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

This is the reality of so many of people...it's just awful. I have a story somewhat like what she went through. I got another job too. You give a decade of your life (or more) and work ungodly hours (salary so no OT) and then they want to get their stock price up so they slice bonuses and other incentives...yep...may not make as much but I was so much happier after...but in this economy I bet she probably didn't even lose pay because companies are hurting trying to find people and the competition is so fierce.

20 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Although I’m going crazy at work with these supply chain issues, I do try to think this is the silver lining. I can’t remember a time in my adult life when workers had this much leverage. I know so many people who after the housing bubble burst in 2008 took on roles of 2 or even 3 positions during those lay offs and still haven’t been relieved 12 years later. Having one employee do the work of 2 or 3 is more profitable for those companies. Meanwhile, those savings get sucked up to the top. So many companies take, take, take. Take away bonuses. Take away benefits. Decrease commission structures. They burn you out trying to reach quotas….and once you reach them, they reward you with a pat on the back and tougher quotas to reach. 

I hope this minor reset may be good in the long run, especially if it drives up wages and benefits.

Keep in mind, many small businesses cannot increase their prices or if they can, cannot do so to the extent of rising wages. These businesses owners are making less, getting buy with fewer employees and, in many cases, shutting down.

My wife is a dentist. Her fees are negotiated by insurance companies which are actually lowering her reimbursement despite the rising costs of PPE and labor. She pays her assistant double what it was 2 years ago. She has to pay more than what Target will pay someone. My wife will make substantially less despite working more. Remember, small business are the lifeblood of the economy and employ more than the big businesses. When they shut down, many families suffer as a result.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Keep in mind, many small businesses cannot increase their prices or if they can, cannot do so to the extent of rising wages. These businesses owners are making less, getting buy with fewer employees and, in many cases, shutting down.

My wife is a dentist. Her fees are negotiated by insurance companies which are actually lowering her reimbursement despite the rising costs of PPE and labor. She pays her assistant double what it was 2 years ago. She has to pay more than what Target will pay someone. My wife will make substantially less despite working more. Remember, small business are the lifeblood of the economy and employ more than the big businesses. When they shut down, many families suffer as a result.

Definitely a double edged sword with healthcare. My wife is a PT and they get routinely get bent over by insurance companies. Wouldn't we all like some leverage against health insurance companies? Talk about a dollar that get's picked apart by multiple intermediaries on its way to somebody's pocket. Sometimes I think our entire economy is built on stilts. 

• Like 4