Coronavirus

Reacher

11 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

The idea of having to dress up to try to impress someone else is just a non-starter for me. I work as an investment advisor and deal with some wealthy people.  About four years ago, we made the decision to go to a jeans and collared shirt dress code.  Not one client has complained and several have expressed appreciation for our relaxed dress code saying it made them feel at home.  I've seen more and more businesses adopt more relaxed dress codes during this pandemic here in southern Indiana, so that part of this pandemic has had a positive impact,  IMO.

We are even seeing a relaxation at places here too, NEVER thought I would see the day. 

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Dang. Grand Velas fancy pants. Super jealous. I was told if you go there it will ruin all other all-inclusive because it’s so good. Do the butlers really wipe your butt if you ring a bell???? Jk

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Screenshot_20211118-091557_Chrome~2.jpg

It is not looking good-

"Pfizer somehow miscounted - or publicly misreported, or both - the number of deaths in one of the most important clinical trials in the history of medicine."

https://alexberenson.substack.com/p/more-people-died-in-the-key-clinical?utm_source=substack&utm_campaign=post_embed&utm_medium=web

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

It is not looking good-

"Pfizer somehow miscounted - or publicly misreported, or both - the number of deaths in one of the most important clinical trials in the history of medicine."

https://alexberenson.substack.com/p/more-people-died-in-the-key-clinical?utm_source=substack&utm_campaign=post_embed&utm_medium=web

Seems to collaberate the articles that were coming out on poor data integrity from those performing trials that I had posted before. Again...100% support the vaccines and getting them out to those that are high risk/elderly.....countless lives undoubtedly saved....but there is no reason we should be hiding the truth from the American people. Give us all the info and let us make a decision for ourselves is all we ask. The more the coverup the more conspiracy theories and corruption and distrust of our leaders and medical community will skyrocket. In the end hiding this stuff from our good doctors etc also puts them in a horrible situation of undermining them with their patients.

https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj.n2635

• Like 2

Transparency is the only way people can make informed decisions. That went out the window once covid was politicized. Politicians across the board have worked in the gray area of integrity for so long I doubt they are capable of putting the public interest ahead of their own.

On a side note, I truly appreciate this thread and the adult conversation that takes place here. This is one of the few places where differing opinions can be shared and discussed in a civil manner. Thank you everyone!

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Reacher said:

It is not looking good-

So us vaccine hesitant people aren't so foolish after all?

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Reacher said:

It is not looking good-

Is anybody else reporting this? (And not just reporting on the reporting?) I saw Alex Berenson and am immediately skeptical. Maybe take that with a grain of salt. He has have a pretty large history for misinterpreting studies…he’s done it a lot. He was also banned from twitter for spreading false information (proven false fwiw) about vaccines in Israel. 

I have a feeling in a few days we’ll see why he’s misinterpreting this information. I guess we’ll see. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Is anybody else reporting this? (And not just reporting on the reporting?) I saw Alex Berenson and am immediately skeptical. Maybe take that with a grain of salt. He has have a pretty large history for misinterpreting studies…he’s done it a lot. He was also banned from twitter for spreading false information (proven false fwiw) about vaccines in Israel. 

I have a feeling in a few days we’ll see why he’s misinterpreting this information. I guess we’ll see. 

Dude is a laughing stock. Not many people take him seriously. Not saying that miscounting of data hasn’t happened, but I’m going to need to see it from an actual scientist/journalist befoer I take it seriously.

And there’s this:

His (Berenson’s) 2019 book Tell Your Children: The Truth About Marijuana, Mental Illness and Violence sparked controversy, earning denunciations from many in the scientific and medical communities.

REFFER MADNESS! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Remember when everyone suddenly cared about animal rights:

Those attacks stemmed in part from a viral and false claim that Fauci, who leads the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, had funded a medical experiment that involved trapping beagles' heads in mesh cages filled with diseased sand flies. Fauci received so many messages — 3,600 phone calls in 36 hours — that his assistant quit answering the phone, Yasmeen and Beth Reinhard report in a story out this morning.

• The claim was amplified by a little-known animal rights group called the White Coat Waste Project, which leveraged existing hostility among conservatives toward Fauci to further its cause, The Post’s investigation found. The outrage was supercharged by a bipartisan letter signed by 24 members of Congress that questioned the agency’s funding of medical research on dogs.
  • The claim originated with an error by scientists. NIAID was initially listed as a funder on the study in a paper in a scientific journal in late July. Even after the researchers and the medical journal corrected the error, White Coat Waste continued to promote and fundraise off the false claim. The group said it does not believe NIAID's denial or the corrections.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

At this point, I take everything with a huge grain of salt. I recently read "Bad Pharma" by Ben Goldacre. He documents the shady things that go on in the pharmaceutical industry. It's important to remember that drugs are an industry meant to make a profit. If there is no money in a rare disease there won't likely be research in a treatment. Pfizer has been caught and fined for doing what is alleged in this article. Are they guilty this time? Who knows, but the possibility shouldn't be dismissed without further investigation. I doubt that we will hear anything from official sources concerning issues that would undermine the vaccine in the public eye. I am not anti-vaccine. I believe everyone who wants it should get it. I am against mandates and taking the choice away from the individual. I want to know everything that was found during the trials so that I can make my decision with everything on the table. I don't think we currently have that quality of information.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Inequality said:

99% survival rate. As my good friend and Dr says, you  have a better chance of a 747 landing in your lap while sitting in your living room.

Maybe doctors should be telling this to the more than 750,000 families in the US who have lost someone to COVID. Make them shut their yappers, as they dare complain about something so insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Can your good friend (and doctor) point to all the times that a 747 has landed in the lap of someone in their living room? Is there a peer-reviewed study on this?  I’m probably just not seeing all the reports of this, but it seems high to me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I work in downtown Louisville.  Have done so for over 30 years.  This story estimates that there used to be approximately 65,000 workers downtown each day before the pandemic.  The estimate now is around $20,000.  The toll of this virus goes way beyond hospitalizations and deaths.  One subset of the population that has increased significantly downtown though, is the homeless.  I've gone from never, and I literally mean that, being asked for money walking to and from my parking garage and office (roughly one block) to getting asked 4-5 times every day when I leave work.  And, if I happen to leave the office for lunch, which I rarely do, it's even more.

https://www.wdrb.com/news/report-downtown-louisville-workforce-cut-down-during-pandemic/article_90b3ba48-48e6-11ec-9e46-6be542220a96.html

"We used to have 65-67,000 employees down here every day, and those people shopped and they went to events, and now we've probably got like 20 (thousand), so that's a huge drop and we gotta change that," Bill Schrek, with Louisville Downtown Partnership, said. 

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

23 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I work in downtown Louisville.  Have done so for over 30 years.  This story estimates that there used to be approximately 65,00o workers downtown each day before the pandemic.  The estimate now is around $20,000.  The toll of this virus goes way beyond hospitalizations and deaths.  One subset of the population that has increased significantly downtown though, is the homeless.  I've gone from never, and I literally mean that, being asked for money walking to and from my parking garage and office (roughly one block) to getting asked 4-5 times every day when I leave work.  And, if I happen to leave the office for lunch, which I rarely do, it's even more.

https://www.wdrb.com/news/report-downtown-louisville-workforce-cut-down-during-pandemic/article_90b3ba48-48e6-11ec-9e46-6be542220a96.html

"We used to have 65-67,000 employees down here every day, and those people shopped and they went to events, and now we've probably got like 20 (thousand), so that's a huge drop and we gotta change that," Bill Schrek, with Louisville Downtown Partnership, said. 

This is a multifaceted problem. The people who die, whether from the virus or virus and other issues, are the front page news and the lead story on the evening news. But the collateral damage is less obvious. Just as devastating to those who experience it, but never going to be talked about to a significant extent. We want a linear solution and we have decided that the lockdown and the vaccine is it. We ignore everything else. The path we have chosen is the most divisive of all possible options. Promote the vaccine and the risk/benefit analysis and let people take responsibility for their own lives. The damage we have done to people on the margins of society is unconscionable. It doesn't have to be this way. I'm in the high risk age group, had covid, and recovered fairly quickly without lingering effects. Not everyone will have the same outcome, I understand that. I tell whoever asks that they should make the best, most comfortable decision for themselves. However, to lose sight of the suffering of the people who lost jobs, housing, and any chance to come out of this whole is just plain wrong.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

-snip-

Man, I am with you on just about everything pertaining to this covid discussion. And, I'm no more enamored with the current administration than I was with the last one, but be careful here and stay with argument about the policy. Attacking the policy makers is, to me at least, the wrong path to take.

8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I work in downtown Louisville.  Have done so for over 30 years.  This story estimates that there used to be approximately 65,000 workers downtown each day before the pandemic.  The estimate now is around $20,000.  The toll of this virus goes way beyond hospitalizations and deaths.  One subset of the population that has increased significantly downtown though, is the homeless.  I've gone from never, and I literally mean that, being asked for money walking to and from my parking garage and office (roughly one block) to getting asked 4-5 times every day when I leave work.  And, if I happen to leave the office for lunch, which I rarely do, it's even more.

Same thing here. Lot fewer workers going in to Manhattan and an insane increase in homelessness. I’ve been going into the office for a few months now, and it’s nothing like it was before the pandemic. As you said, the toll is way beyond hospitalizations and deaths. 

• Like 3