Coronavirus

Reacher

About 100 children in N.Y. are believed to have a rare illness tied to the virus.

We don't have kids, but have noticed that most parents with young children are pretty careless around here. It's typical Brooklyn. Not many kids wearing masks and lots of the adults with them are not wearing masks. A woman and her kid (about four or five, I didn't know them) tried to get on the elevator with me in our building and they weren't wearing masks. I let them have the elevator and just took the stairs.

If this becomes a thing, maybe they'll take it seriously. It pisses me off b/c I think of @Billingsley99 and Ayden being so cautious.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Good article in Time about wearing masks

Limited benefits, and in some cases, it can actually increase the chance of infection if not properly maintained.

I'm not in love with wearing a mask, but I do in public...not for my own peace of mind, but for the peace of mind of others...it makes me a little claustrophobic, but I'll do my part for what I perceive as "the common good."

Now, on the other hand, opening up the economy is for "the greater good" as well. 

Some people need to realize that...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

When my daughter was pre-school age, she was undergoing treatment for cancer.  She could not attend pre-school with other children due to the risk of infection.  We compensated by having a certified pre-school teacher come to the house twice a week.  

I guess what I am trying to say is that there have always been at-risk scenarios that have prevented certain children from attending school.  Unfortunately, Covid represents one of those situations.  But, based on the information we have, I don't think anything supports a full scale shutdown of school facilities.  Parents of at-risk students absolutely will need to be cautious, but that has always been the case.  Yes, Covid has proven to be serious for a very small population of school age children.  But, I personally don't think the education of the 99.9% of children not impacted should suffer.  .  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

When my daughter was pre-school age, she was undergoing treatment for cancer.  She could not attend pre-school with other children due to the risk of infection.  We compensated by having a certified pre-school teacher come to the house twice a week.  

I guess what I am trying to say is that there have always been at-risk scenarios that have prevented certain children from attending school.  Unfortunately, Covid represents one of those situations.  But, based on the information we have, I don't think anything supports a full scale shutdown of school facilities.  Parents of at-risk students absolutely will need to be cautious, but that has always been the case.  Yes, Covid has proven to be serious for a very small population of school age children.  But, I personally don't think the education of the 99.9% of children not impacted should suffer.  .  

I honestly don't have any skin in the game when it comes to attending or not attending school. I just want the damn parents and kids to wear masks like the rest of us. I don't like wearing a mask, but I also understand that it's for the greater good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lostin76 said:

I honestly don't have any skin in the game when it comes to attending or not attending school. I just want the damn parents and kids to wear masks like the rest of us. I don't like wearing a mask, but I also understand that it's for the greater good.

Agree with you there.  I went out last night to a couple of places.  At Meijer, probably 75% of people were wearing masks.  However, at the book store in the mall, me and the workers were the only ones with a mask on.  Not a single other patron had a mask.  

Indianapolis/Marion County just had an update. Some openings this Friday at 50% capacity. No nail or hair salons still. Restaurants can open starting 5/22 but ONLY outdoor seating. Must admit I like this approach. Some caution, measured steps,etc....but giving hope to those hanging on by a thread right now. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Indianapolis/Marion County just had an update. Some openings this Friday at 50% capacity. No nail or hair salons still. Restaurants can open starting 5/22 but ONLY outdoor seating. Must admit I like this approach. Some caution, measured steps,etc....but giving hope to those hanging on by a thread right now. 

Outdoor seating is a good start. I don't know when we are going to be comfortable going into a restaurant and sitting at a table again. I really feel for restaurants who already operate on a razor thin profit margin and packing people in.

Edited by Lostin76
Can't spell apparently

Wanted to share this. Maybe the best information I have come across. 

A lot of people are trashing models lately, but I think it's important to remember that models are not meant to predict the future. It's a snap shot of a hypothetical. Models can only be accurate if the factors stay constant and that simply can not happen. 

All that said, the article linked below has simulations for many hypotheticals that gave me a better idea of the bigger picture. For example, they go through a ton of info: vaccine/no vaccine, wearing/not wearing a mask, they take you through the various length of possible immunity time (does it last for 1 month, 2 years, indefinitely, not at all, etc.), rolling shutdowns, no shutdowns, contact tracing, etc., etc.

The article is long but goes by quick because you get to play with the simulations. Their best case scenario is an open society with contact tracing, but I recommend going through the simulations from the beginning to see how they arrive at that conclusion (if you have the time). And before we get into 'Orwellian comments' they say there's technology to do this while keeping your privacy in tact...which they also explain. Overall, this kinda made me feel better because it gave me a glimmer of hope for a plan. 

https://ncase.me/covid-19/?fbclid=IwAR2t5JFTwvawBliKOVQ4V8cOxiw3FiD9CayyiIM_RY2ozZZaMROiBSHZEPg  

29 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Outdoor seating is a good start. I don't know when we are going to be comfortable going into a restaurant and sitting at a table again. I really feel for restaurants who already operate on a razor thin profit margin and packing people in.

Since Texas lifted in house dining restrictions (with caveats...no adjacent tables can be occupied, and wait staff  must wear gloves and masks) we've eaten out about 5 or 6 times.

It's weird in the nice places that are usually full. Took my wife to Landry's Seafood for Mother's Day, and it was eerie. They serve you with disposable paper menus, and the place was half full...

But it's nice to get back to some normalcy...

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Admittedly I'm watching Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee very carefully. I'm surprised some of the numbers from the first 3 states haven't been discussed more. Pretty remarkable data in terms of numbers continue to drop. 

Total number of cases can be misleading depending on how much testing is done.  The real thing to watch is the number of deaths 2-3 weeks from now (which should take those states through an entire cycle of infections, illness, and ultimately death or recovery.

Just now, 5fouls said:

Total number of cases can be misleading depending on how much testing is done.  The real thing to watch is the number of deaths 2-3 weeks from now (which should take those states through an entire cycle of infections, illness, and ultimately death or recovery.

Georgia has been open for 19 days so we should start seeing things pretty quickly one way or another in next week max. Of course some states are playing with nursing home death numbers too. Guess we'll see soon enough.

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Georgia has been open for 19 days so we should start seeing things pretty quickly one way or another in next week max. Of course some states are playing with nursing home death numbers too. Guess we'll see soon enough.

In California, if you test positive and ultimately get eaten by a mountain lion, your cause of death will go down as Covid-19..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Study by IUPUI estimates that the infection rate in Indiana is 10-11 times greater than what has been reported and the mortality rate is sitting at about 0.58%.

https://www.wdrb.com/news/indiana-study-estimates-186-000-hoosiers-had-contracted-covid-19-by-late-april/article_398fe804-954b-11ea-bb10-3ba99724a338.html

Edited by 5fouls

Well more fallout from the dirth of Restaurant  business! In case you missed my earlier post our company makes commercial refrigeration and ice equipment. By far biggest customer base is restaurants. Last week almost all of manufacturing was put on a 3week furlough. 

Today, 24 salaried employees were permanently sent home. I’m not one. Also some more departments are going to be put on furlough! 

Tough times ahead!

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So that 7 day moving average orange dot appears to be way down. Is that right?

I think you need to read the fine print. Something about the extended curve still needs some missing data or something!

Also more tests are coming, just read at the post office today free testing was going to be available Thursday and Friday in the three biggest towns in the county. My county only has about 21,000 residents and currently reports 67 cases and 1 death. Will be interesting to see if the cases number jumps next week!

Edited by Drroogh