Coronavirus

Reacher

Cant help but look at the numbers. First discovered in China last November.  A bit less than 150,000 confirmed cases globally in 4 months. Infections are going down in China. Would be irresponsible to not show caution but feel like the hysteria is over the top. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Heard this self test from a doctor on tv this morning.  If you can hold your breath for 10 seconds or longer.  You don't have the Coronavirus. 

Hahaha. Misread this....thought you wrote 10 minutes, which would've been a great way to weed out the stupid. That or it can be cured by eating Tide pods. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Haha 1

On 3/11/2020 at 2:59 PM, mrflynn03 said:

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Heard this self test from a doctor on tv this morning.  If you can hold your breath for 10 seconds or longer.  You don't have the Coronavirus. 

See the post below - from page 6 of this thread.

On 3/11/2020 at 2:59 PM, mrflynn03 said:

Not a verified source but saw this on another forum I visit and thought I would share here.  Seems like some good info in it.

A friend forwarded this information that she received from a hyper-vigilant professor friend who is quarantined in China and teaching her university classes on-line. It contains information about how the sickness presents and some further precautions that I have not seen elsewhere, so I thought I would share.

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can you know if you are infected? By the time you have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% fibrosis. Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning:

Take a deep breath and hold it for more than 10 seconds. If you do this successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, there is no fibrosis in the lungs; it basically indicates no infection. In critical times, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air.

Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and then the lungs. That's very dangerous.

Also:

1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold.
2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.
3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees C. (About 77 degrees F.) It hates the Sun.
4. If someone sneezes with it, it goes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.
5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface, wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.
6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.
7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.
8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.
9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.
10. Can't emphasize enough - drink plenty of water! THE SYMPTOMS:
1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 1

Costco parking lots are overflowing in the Chicago suburbs.  Yesterday they had probably 30 pallets of TP. Took up a whole aisle. Majority were leaving with TP and water. 

Walgreens had no TP, no disinfectants and not much flu meds. Feel bad for those coming down with the flu who may actually need something.

Realized I was out of cold and flu meds so I ordered some on Amazon yesterday and is expected to arrive in a week.

6 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

So what are stores like in your area?  Live in southern indiana and stores shelves are starting to get cleaned out. 

Sams club in Bloomington has lines going out the door of people wanting in...a friend sent me a picture of him in the check out line with about 50 people in front of him......and NASCAR just canceled their next to races

10 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

So what are stores like in your area?  Live in southern indiana and stores shelves are starting to get cleaned out. 

Costco on Indy's Northside had a line of about 50 deep outside waiting with carts just to get inside. I did the Kroger thing and got all the essentials for the weekend....Coors Light, Coffee, asparagus and cheese because they are on sale. I'll let others wait in those lines. 

39 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Costco parking lots are overflowing in the Chicago suburbs.  Yesterday they had probably 30 pallets of TP. Took up a whole aisle. Majority were leaving with TP and water. 

Walgreens had no TP, no disinfectants and not much flu meds. Feel bad for those coming down with the flu who may actually need something.

Realized I was out of cold and flu meds so I ordered some on Amazon yesterday and is expected to arrive in a week.

Was thinking about the TP thing. If it gets bad enough any cant be found I've noticed people aren't buying paper towels as of now.  Also auto parts stores and hardware stores have shop towels ect.  Better than nothing. Living in a small town that's pretty well out and who knows when a resupply would happen. But I bought enough essentials to get through a few weeks. Wife is buying a couple weeks worth of meat to go in the freezer today. I get a bi weekly shipment of produce and I have 2 weeks of MRE meals I bought awhile ago so I'm good. But alot of people wont be. Feel bad for them because those will be the people that cant afford to stock up. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

It's official.  The school I work at is closing after today until 4/6.  One of those weeks is spring break though, so it's really only two weeks closed and one week will be eLearning.  The door was left open to extend the shutdown.   At least I'll have lots more time to post here with you all.  

With all the events,schools,colleges and everything closing why are Restaurants and places like that open...it seems to me that would be a likely place for the virus to spread..or am I looking at it the wrong way.

42 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Was thinking about the TP thing. If it gets bad enough any cant be found I've noticed people aren't buying paper towels as of now.  Also auto parts stores and hardware stores have shop towels ect.  Better than nothing. Living in a small town that's pretty well out and who knows when a resupply would happen. 

I'm all stocked up on Chlorox wipes.  Wipe is in the product name, so I figure I should be good.

19 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

It's official.  The school I work at is closing after today until 4/6.  One of those weeks is spring break though, so it's really only two weeks closed and one week will be eLearning.  The door was left open to extend the shutdown.   At least I'll have lots more time to post here with you all.  

What area do you teach at?  I teach about 100 miles south of Chicago in a rural district in Illinois, and we're really up in the air on what is going to happen here.  Wouldn't be at all surprised if Illinois shuts everybody down like a few states have already done.

32 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

What area do you teach at?  I teach about 100 miles south of Chicago in a rural district in Illinois, and we're really up in the air on what is going to happen here.  Wouldn't be at all surprised if Illinois shuts everybody down like a few states have already done.

I'm in So Indiana, just across the bridge from Louisville.  Indiana has granted schools up to 20 wavered days.  We are using five the week after spring break.  We could end up using more based on how this all goes.  

• Thanks 1

Just talked to my wife who is at our local grocery store. She went to get corned beef and cabbage for Sunday.   It is a large store. And normally well stocked.  The shelves are completely cleaned out. Of course, no TP. No Kleenix. No napkins. No canned food.   And the lines for check out are at least 50 people deep.  Plus she said most people in front  of her are very much on edge.

Never thought it would come to this.

Also. Our great Colorado governor, today has moved National Guard doctors into action in the state.  Plus requested health care personnel such as doctors, nurses, etc, who have either retired or gotten out of the business, to renew their licenses.... simply as a back up, if our hospitals get overwhelmed.

39 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Just talked to my wife who is at our local grocery store. She went to get corned beef and cabbage for Sunday.   It is a large store. And normally well stocked.  The shelves are completely cleaned out. Of course, no TP. No Kleenix. No napkins. No canned food.   And the lines for check out are at least 50 people deep.  Plus she said most people in front  of her are very much on edge.

Never thought it would come to this.

Several years ago I put away a couple weeks worth of food in a tote I keep in my house to avoid infestation, in case a disruption of supply happened. I paid attention to the things people were buying when a snow or ice storm was coming and bought the opposite. Flour, rice,beans, pasta and sauces, assorted canned goods, dried potatotes, MREs, batteries, candles, and toiletries.  Starchy foods that you can ration but still have enough to be full. Keep in mind too that alot of this stuff is still edible even after expiration.  In addition to my pantry, freezer and fridge Im good for about a month.  Wife thought I was crazy at the time, now she sees why I did it. 

And a months supply of water for each of us.  Just have to rotate stuff out from time to time. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Several years ago I put away a couple a couple weeks worth of food in a tote I keep in my house to avoid infestation, in case a disruption of supply happened. I paid attention to the things people were buying when a snow or ice storm was coming and bought the opposite. Flour, rice,beans, pasta and sauces, assorted canned goods, dried potatotes, MREs, batteries, candles, and toiletries.  Starchy foods that you can ration but still have enough to be full. Keep in mind too that alot of this stuff is still edible even after expiration.  In addition to my pantry, freezer and fridge Im good for about a month.  Wife thought I was crazy at the time, now she sees why I did it. 

And a months supply of water for each of us.  Just have to rotate stuff out from time to time. 

We have a large storage shelf for food in  a store room our basement.  Plus a  giant pantry in our kitchen. And a huge freezer in our wash room.  So we are good.  Wife got back from the grocery store.  Did get the corned beef and cabbage that was all she went to the store for.  Her words to me when she got home :  "It was like a third world country".

It really does not take much time or money to build up a reserve.

You are wise, to store food. And I am sure your wife appreciates your forward thinking.

9 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

We have a large storage shelf for food in  a store room our basement.  Plus a  giant pantry in our kitchen. And a huge freezer in our wash room.  So we are good.  Wife got back from the grocery store.  Did get the corned beef and cabbage that was all she went to the store for.  Her words to me when she got home :  "It was like a third world country".

It really does not take much time or money to build up a reserve.

You are wise, to store food. And I am sure your wife appreciates your forward thinking.

Wow, honestly didnt think I would see it happen on this level. But here we are. 

36 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Several years ago I put away a couple weeks worth of food in a tote I keep in my house to avoid infestation, in case a disruption of supply happened. I paid attention to the things people were buying when a snow or ice storm was coming and bought the opposite. Flour, rice,beans, pasta and sauces, assorted canned goods, dried potatotes, MREs, batteries, candles, and toiletries.  Starchy foods that you can ration but still have enough to be full. Keep in mind too that alot of this stuff is still edible even after expiration.  In addition to my pantry, freezer and fridge Im good for about a month.  Wife thought I was crazy at the time, now she sees why I did it. 

Is this you every week at work?

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I did the same, but with fresh fruits and vegetables.  I checked on them earlier this week and I think I need to go back to the store.