Coronavirus

Reacher

17 hours ago, milehiiu said:

If I were Target. Auto Zone. And the other businesses in that part of Minnesota.  That got looted or burned to the ground.  I would never open up again.  Those people that rioted last night don't deserve businesses like that.

Having said that.  Protest. Peacefully.  And ask.... why is not that police officer not arrested for murder ? 

Yeah. I know. Not Caronavirus related.   However, during this time.  Just had to get this off my chest.

I might be wrong but from what I saw the riots turned violent after police attacked peaceful protests with Rubber bullets and tear gas. 

2 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

Thoughts? 

That guy's numbers are the numbers I quoted. They were from last night. Looks like they are trying to update/clarify now. I'll admit that the data is noisy, the numbers can be confusing, and finally that I am not an epidemiologist or a biostatistician - just a lowly administrator.

With everything going on in FL around their numbers and data person leaving, it's really difficult to know who to trust.

To put things in perspective, just got done crying on the phone with my daughter! She called to give me her support with the announcement that we would be on furlough another week, with an expected decision on when we go back coming Monday.
Then she told me that her best friend for the last 30 had her father finally  lose his fight with cancer! We both lost it for awhile and I still have wetness in my eyes as I type!

There are still far greater illnesses out there than CV and we need to remember that!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

To put things in perspective, just got done crying on the phone with my daughter! She called to give me her support with the announcement that we would be on furlough another week, with an expected decision on when we go back coming Monday.
Then she told me that her best friend for the last 30 had her father finally  lose his fight with cancer! We both lost it for awhile and I still have wetness in my eyes as I type!

There are still far greater illnesses out there than CV and we need to remember that!

Lifting you and those close to u up in prayer.  We someTimes forget what others are going through because we focus so much on the mountain in front of us and dont see all the great things we have. I too often forget that many people are facing far worse situations that I am. Prayers my friend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Lifting you and those close to u up in prayer.  We someTimes forget what others are going through because we focus so much on the mountain in front of us and dont see all the great things we have. I too often forget that many people are facing far worse situations that I am. Prayers my friend. 

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Knew of all people you would understand. My prayers continue for you and Ayden !

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RoadToZion said:

Just wondering where the outrage is over the huge crowds. 

A week ago people were saying states are risking thousands of lives by opening, now streets are full by the tens of thousands in numerous states. But everyone is okay with it.

And no, everyone isnt wearing a face mask. 

"Stupid is. As stupid does. " ......Forrest Gump

22 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Thoughts @Lostin76?

Are people going to be dying like crazy now after these riots? Who's to blame if that happens? 

Well, I certainly don't think there will be less COVID-19 deaths after all of these protests. I would expect more positive cases and more deaths due to any kind of activity that brings people together in large groups. I hope that doesn't happen, but we shall see.

It would be nice if people did not feel they needed to be out there protesting, but alas, cops keep killing unarmed black people. So to the street it is, pandemic or no.

I will say this though, people in Brooklyn that I've seen are mostly wearing masks during protests. I took this short video on our street as protestors moved from Grand Army Plaza to the Barclays Center. I haven't studied every single face, but it looks like mostly everyone in wearing a mask - even the old couple cheering from their stoop.

You know, largely because of continuing mixed messages from government/leadership, all kinds of people are now going around without masks -- to restaurants, to work, to beaches, etc. The protests in this context? Can we keep that discussion in its thread? Let's not turn this thread into that one.

Let's not forget that nothing has really changed. The virus continues to spike here and there including in areas that are just opening things back up without requiring/enforcing continued social distancing and masks. There's really no reason -- none -- to be mingling in public now, any public setting, without wearing a mask. Just do the basic sensible thing and wear a mask. Please.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-virus-idUSKBN2370OQ

"The new coronavirus is losing its potency and has become much less lethal, a senior Italian doctor said on Sunday."

Thanks for the link.

Good news for those that have to go outside... perhaps to work. 

In other news.  The transportation district in Denver, has stopped the buses from running. No word on when they intend to start them back up again.

As for me. I have no reason to get out.  And will continue to stay home.  Though I am concerned for those that need to get out, via public transportation.... just to get to a job.

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-virus-idUSKBN2370OQ

"The new coronavirus is losing its potency and has become much less lethal, a senior Italian doctor said on Sunday."

Very good news if source is legitimate.  Thanks for sharing.  

hopefully, the U.S. trends will follow suit over the next few weeks. 

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

You know, largely because of continuing mixed messages from government/leadership, all kinds of people are now going around without masks -- to restaurants, to work, to beaches, etc. The protests in this context? Can we keep that discussion in its thread? Let's not turn this thread into that one.

Let's not forget that nothing has really changed. The virus continues to spike here and there including in areas that are just opening things back up without requiring/enforcing continued social distancing and masks. There's really no reason -- none -- to be mingling in public now, any public setting, without wearing a mask. Just do the basic sensible thing and wear a mask. Please.

I think you are improperly using the word 'spike'.  i don't know of any location in the U.S. that has a significant percentage of more cases now than it did 3-4 weeks ago, unless you're talking about a random county in Montana that had 2 cases then and has 3 now, for a 50% increase..  Numbers may be slightly up in other places, but testing has increased significantly as well, so that explains a lot in regards to those locations.  

That said, are the numbers declining as much as we hoped they would as the weather warms up?  No, they are not.  Should people still take precautions, social distance, wear masks, etc.?  Absolutely.  But, every headline I see online about cases 'spiking' has no factual basis once you click the link and read the corresponding story.  

Now, in Brazil, the virus is spiking at an alarming rate..  Not in the U.S. though. 

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think you are improperly using the word 'spike'.  i don't know of any location in the U.S. that has a significant percentage of more cases now than it did 3-4 weeks ago, unless you're talking about a random county in Montana that had 2 cases then and has 3 now, for a 50% increase..  Numbers may be slightly up in other places, but testing has increased significantly as well, so that explains a lot in regards to those locations.  

That said, are the numbers declining as much as we hoped they would as the weather warms up?  No, they are not.  Should people still take precautions, social distance, wear masks, etc.?  Absolutely.  But, every headline I see online about cases 'spiking' has no factual basis once you click the link and read the corresponding story.  

Now, in Brazil, the virus is spiking at an alarming rate..  Not in the U.S. though. 

Man, Brazil and Russia are coming on strong in the race to have the second most cases and deaths*. No shocker there.

*The number of deaths in Russia? 😂

Just now, Lostin76 said:

Man, Brazil and Russia are coming on strong in the race to have the second most cases and deaths*. No shocker there.

*The number of deaths in Russia? 😂

I'll give Russia this.  Their numbers are probably closer to being accurate than China's.  

26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't want to debate the meaning of spike. Right here in Houston we had increased cases rather quickly following relaxed rules (rules relaxed by the Governor, then by local county officials). I think it's pretty obvious that nothing has changed, we don't have a vaccine, the Virus is not gone, and when people run around again without masks, as they are clearly doing, again, you're going to get increased cases. We agree people should keep wearing masks, so I don't see the need to debate the point.