Coronavirus

Reacher

6 minutes ago, Reacher said:

My chart of the day...

Surprising that the least open and most open states share the same downward trajectory in new cases.

7. Positive Test Rates Are Trending Down Nationwide, Including in the Most Open States. Data available on request.

Maybe it's because the virus was going to run it's natural course no matter what we did because that's what viruses do?

• Like 1

Sweden's chief epidemiologist backtracks and admitted too many people died and they should have done a better job at protecting the elderly. They had the highest death rate in the world (and wayyy higher than it's neighboring countries) last week and their economy is still reeling despite the lax guidelines.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/03/architect-of-sweden-coronavirus-strategy-admits-too-many-died-anders-tegnell?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20200604&instance_id=19074&nl=the-morning&regi_id=126610192&segment_id=30049&te=1&user_id=a99d32b3606771f67d0b69b76e283990

Despite the decrease in the U.S. numbers the last couple of weeks, The U.S.  had more deaths yesterday alone (1,083) than Japan has had total (900).  And, if memory serves me correctly, that Japanese population is statistically older than the U.S. population.   Yet, I've seen nothing related to the Japanese approach to defending against the virus.  Anyone have any insight into how Japan has avoided what's happened in most other industrialized nations?

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Despite the decrease in the U.S. numbers the last couple of weeks, The U.S.  had more deaths yesterday alone (1,083) than Japan has had total (900).  And, if memory serves me correctly, that Japanese population is statistically older than the U.S. population.   Yet, I've seen nothing related to the Japanese approach to defending against the virus.  Anyone have any insight into how Japan has avoided what's happened in most other industrialized nations?

My guess is a healthier population with a diet high in omega 3 fats. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32229155/

if you read the abstract, omega 3 fats are made of EPA and DHA fatty acids

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Ad blocker on this...

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-japan-tackled-coronavirus-without-a-lockdown-2020-5

Keep seeing misleading result-oriented citing . Shouldn't be surprising because people keep doing it to fit their narrative, instead of actually looking at local, state, and nationwide studies from non-politically backed "studies." The source tracking is easy, leave the politically backed studies out. Do us the favor of not trying to engage on this, not going to.

Good site, as an example, with the important message that goes with just looking at a chart, Johns Hopkins: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases-50-states

The message: 

"As states throughout the U.S. lift stay-at-home orders, reopen businesses, and relax social distancing measures, this graph shows whether cases of COVID-19 are increasing, decreasing, or remaining constant within each state.

Federal guidelines advise that states wait until they experience a downward trajectory of documented cases within a 14-day period before proceeding to a phased opening. Lifting social distancing measures prematurely, while cases continue to increase or remain at high levels, could result in a resurgence of new cases.

In this visualization, states that appear in shades of orange have experienced a growth in new cases over the past two weeks. States that appear in shades of green have seen declines in cases over the same period of time. The shade of the colors indicates the size of each state’s growth or decline in new cases; the darker the shade, the bigger the change."

-- The charts/graphs reflect that 16 states have experienced various levels of growth of COVID-19 cases over the past 2 weeks, and 23 or so (the green shading, some virtually white) have experienced various levels of declines over the past 2 weeks.

As we're talking 2-week periods of reported new cases, there's also going to be lag in reported cases, the next 2-4 weeks are going to be more reflective of actual new cases as many states have only recently opened up or are still doing so.

As an aside, AZ looks awful, DC and IL are looking great, as of now. Not sure what's going on in  AZ

4 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

As an aside, AZ looks awful, DC and IL are looking great, as of now. Not sure what's going on in  AZ

So, basically, you are saying that CNN was full of 'insert vulgarity' when they had their shrill headline about the 'SPIKE' in DC cases.  Glad you were able to add context to my point.

One thing I'm curious about, as the overall death rate in the U.S. goes down, is whether the virus is actually losing some of it's strength, or whether those most susceptible have already succumbed, so those getting it now are more able to fight it off.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear about the Indiana State Fair.  I would imagine county fairs in Indiana will be cancelled as well.

Here in Colorado. It has just been announced that the highest continuous highway in the U.S.  That has spectacular views everywhere. Trail Ridge Road  will be closed for the entire rest of the year. Due to the virus.

Trail Ridge Road 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Put a fork in the College Football season.  5 Bama players test positive.  Up to 50 may have to be quarantined as a result.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/alabama-football-at-least-five-players-have-reportedly-tested-positive-for-the-coronavirus/

Football will be played at Bama and elsewhere all fall long. Put a fork in it? No chance.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Football will be played at Bama and elsewhere all fall long. Put a fork in it? No chance.

Went to a graduation party (in a mask) last night, Kid is headed off on scholly to play football, they’ve already been told the plan is to play a full season minus 1 game maybe 2

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Keep seeing misleading result-oriented citing . Shouldn't be surprising because people keep doing it to fit their narrative, instead of actually looking at local, state, and nationwide studies from non-politically backed "studies." The source tracking is easy, leave the politically backed studies out. Do us the favor of not trying to engage on this, not going to.

Good site, as an example, with the important message that goes with just looking at a chart, Johns Hopkins: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases-50-states

The message: 

"As states throughout the U.S. lift stay-at-home orders, reopen businesses, and relax social distancing measures, this graph shows whether cases of COVID-19 are increasing, decreasing, or remaining constant within each state.

Federal guidelines advise that states wait until they experience a downward trajectory of documented cases within a 14-day period before proceeding to a phased opening. Lifting social distancing measures prematurely, while cases continue to increase or remain at high levels, could result in a resurgence of new cases.

In this visualization, states that appear in shades of orange have experienced a growth in new cases over the past two weeks. States that appear in shades of green have seen declines in cases over the same period of time. The shade of the colors indicates the size of each state’s growth or decline in new cases; the darker the shade, the bigger the change."

-- The charts/graphs reflect that 16 states have experienced various levels of growth of COVID-19 cases over the past 2 weeks, and 23 or so (the green shading, some virtually white) have experienced various levels of declines over the past 2 weeks.

As we're talking 2-week periods of reported new cases, there's also going to be lag in reported cases, the next 2-4 weeks are going to be more reflective of actual new cases as many states have only recently opened up or are still doing so.

So what?

I have basically stayed out of this whole debate because I’ve been working long hours and haven’t had time to do anything but read here occasionally. What I see is a country that is being destroyed. I’m so tired of the arguments for keeping everybody locked up, until when? Seriously, if you are that damn worried stay at home. Let me decide if I want to take the risk of living my life. There will not be a workable vaccine for this virus anytime soon. If they do come out with an RNA vaccine in the next two years, there is no way in hell I will allow anyone in my family to get it (look into RNA vaccines and the ferret studies). Keep your immune system strong (eat healthy, take vitamins C and D3) and be sensible interacting with other people (wash up, wear a mask if you need to). Most importantly pray. Individual responsibility seems to be lost in today’s world, just let me be responsible fo myself and my family.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SteveS said:

So what?

I have basically stayed out of this whole debate because I’ve been working long hours and haven’t had time to do anything but read here occasionally. What I see is a country that is being destroyed. I’m so tired of the arguments for keeping everybody locked up, until when? Seriously, if you are that damn worried stay at home. Let me decide if I want to take the risk of living my life. There will not be a workable vaccine for this virus anytime soon. If they do come out with an RNA vaccine in the next two years, there is no way in hell I will allow anyone in my family to get it (look into RNA vaccines and the ferret studies). Keep your immune system strong (eat healthy, take vitamins C and D3) and be sensible interacting with other people (wash up, wear a mask if you need to). Most importantly pray. Individual responsibility seems to be lost in today’s world, just let me be responsible fo myself and my family.

There will likely never be a vaccine for this. It will be another flu shot.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong and I will eat crow,  but I have been consistent, so give me that. I have been saying from the start, let it burn through and do what viruses do.

Dr. Douche and the others crowing on about a second wave are responsible for that if it even happens. And I predict it wont.

Let's get back to life!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

There will likely never be a vaccine for this. It will be another flu shot.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong and I will eat crow,  but I have been consistent, so give me that. I have been saying from the start, let it burn through and do what viruses do.

Dr. Douche and the others crowing on about a second wave are responsible for that if it even happens. And I predict it wont.

Let's get back to life!

Or get busy dying.   🤔

10 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

😷🤐

Do you disagree with my point that there is something wrong with a media outlet publishing misleading or downright wrong information?   Let's recap what happened.

• CNN published an attention grabbing headline that stated COVID was spiking in DC
  • The accompanying article had no facts.  Not a single comparison timeline that showed that cases were spiking.  The article simply rehashed the dangers of re-opening.
  • Being curious, I found several articles that showed the contrary, including the New York Times.  Cases in DC were actually decreasing.
  • HoosierHoopster posted a link to Johns Hopkins that verified that cases in DC, in fact, were decreasing.

I'm not sue how anyone can defend CNN on this matter.  It was at best, piss-poor journalism, and at worst an attempt to mislead the American people.  

Do you work in the media?

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Do you disagree with my point that there is something wrong with a media outlet publishing misleading or downright wrong information?   Let's recap what happened.

• CNN published an attention grabbing headline that stated COVID was spiking in DC
  • The accompanying article had no facts.  Not a single comparison timeline that showed that cases were spiking.  The article simply rehashed the dangers of re-opening.
  • Being curious, I found several articles that showed the contrary, including the New York Times.  Cases in DC were actually decreasing.
  • HoosierHoopster posted a link to Johns Hopkins that verified that cases in DC, in fact, were decreasing.

I'm not sue how anyone can defend CNN on this matter.  It was at best, piss-poor journalism, and at worst an attempt to mislead the American people.  

Do you work in the media?

Nope.  I'm retired.  End of discussion.   🤐 Thanks.

Edited by jv1972iu