Coronavirus

Reacher

Huge jobs report numbers this morning. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/05/jobs-report-may-2020.html

Will be interesting to see what happens when unemployment $ ends at end of July when people will go back to work...combined with these numbers. Certainly will be plenty jobs gone for sure and I do feel for those people....but maybe we won't have widespread unemployment as we head into the fall.

8 hours ago, SteveS said:

Seriously, if you are that damn worried stay at home. Let me decide if I want to take the risk of living my life.

Not disagreeing that we need to open up, but I think HH is advocating to do it responsibly and that the virus is going to magically disappear. But I wish your sentiments were as simple as what you stated above. 

Yes, people should be able to determine the risks they want to take in life.....if those risks they take only affect them. 

The tricky thing in this whole debate is that one person’s risk may result in another’s death. Multiple people’s risks may result in a bigger cluster of cases. That’s why there’s this huge gray area between our freedom, government’s caution, the economy, and death. Nursing homes have a high degree of deaths. Most nursing homes are locked down, no visitors allowed, PPE always worn and residents are not allowed to leave. This means that the virus is brought in by staff who I’m sure are doing their best to be careful outside of work. My point is that many of these people dying aren’t the ones taking risks. This is where the complication lies. 

I’m not sure there is a ‘right’ answer on how to handle this...the gray area is too big. I want to believe that plans and procedures are made with the best intentions, unfortunately no one plan is not going to piss off a huge group of people. Understanding this, in a strange way, is helping me keep my frustrations lower. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Even here, opening is happening, but in a piecemeal way. Yesterday, we had to take our dog into Manhattan to our oncology vet. Last week, we drove in and out w/o any traffic at all. Literally took twenty minutes to get from our house in Brooklyn to our vet in the Union Square area. Lots of restaurants were doing delivery and carryout. We had to wait about an hour for the xrays and ultrasounds, so we walked up to Madison Square Park. Shake Shack was open. No line, but they were open and there were probably about a dozen people sitting around and eating at outside tables.

Yesterday, the city was pretty much boarded up and closed down (due to looting, not COVID obviously). Shake Shack was closed (bummer!). But we found a Mexican place that was doing carryout food and drinks. One sad moment was when an older couple tried to sit down on a row of benches. You could tell they were trying to maintain safe distance because of COVID, but there really wasn't that much room. We got up and gave them our seats and they took them. Then other people came and started crowding them.

How do old people navigate this? There are a lot of elderly people in NYC and I really worry about them. They are sick of being locked up too, but how can they trust people to respect their distance? They really can't, b/c people largely suck.

Here in Brooklyn, probably 60-70 percent of our restaurants are doing some sort of business. Directions are posted on their websites and on their windows. Each business is handling it very well and the customers are figuring things out. Next week, businesses can start offering curbside pickups. I'm looking forward to book stores reopening in some capacity.

I think people here are starting to let their guards down a bit. People are still being careful, but there are many more people out. The numbers look better here and have been trending down. Not sure what the numbers will look after all of this protesting, but we'll see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SteveS said:

So what?

I have basically stayed out of this whole debate because I’ve been working long hours and haven’t had time to do anything but read here occasionally. What I see is a country that is being destroyed. I’m so tired of the arguments for keeping everybody locked up, until when? Seriously, if you are that damn worried stay at home. Let me decide if I want to take the risk of living my life. There will not be a workable vaccine for this virus anytime soon. If they do come out with an RNA vaccine in the next two years, there is no way in hell I will allow anyone in my family to get it (look into RNA vaccines and the ferret studies). Keep your immune system strong (eat healthy, take vitamins C and D3) and be sensible interacting with other people (wash up, wear a mask if you need to). Most importantly pray. Individual responsibility seems to be lost in today’s world, just let me be responsible fo myself and my family.

First, you apparently aren't bothering to read my posts and instead feel inclined to lash out. I am FOR getting back to work as I have said repeatedly -- but with appropriate continuing protective measures -- social distancing, masks, etc. -- because NOTHING has changed. If you want to get irate about at, that's your problem. The "so what" about the charting of both new growth in COVID cases, and declines? OK.

Second, saying let you decide if you want to risk YOUR life is not the question, at all. Masks are primarily to protect OTHERS. You can carry the virus and transmit it, as has happened at pool parties, on boats, in planes, etc etc etc. You are not being responsible for your family or anyone else if you don't get that. It's not wear a mask "if you need to" whatever the hell that means, it's wear a mask to prevent the spread of the virus. You preach about individual responsibility like this?? 

Third, the idea that anyone should not take a vaccine if it's a rushed one I understand, but if you're getting general that's ridiculous. Your "immune system" is not the answer, as should be completely obvious. I agree there likely will not be a workable vaccine soon, because they usually take a good year, and we're all in this for some period of time, which, again, means people should continue to take the measures that we've taken to continue to drive this virus down, and not be cavalier about a virus that has swept the globe.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Do you disagree with my point that there is something wrong with a media outlet publishing misleading or downright wrong information?   Let's recap what happened.

• CNN published an attention grabbing headline that stated COVID was spiking in DC
  • The accompanying article had no facts.  Not a single comparison timeline that showed that cases were spiking.  The article simply rehashed the dangers of re-opening.
  • Being curious, I found several articles that showed the contrary, including the New York Times.  Cases in DC were actually decreasing.
  • HoosierHoopster posted a link to Johns Hopkins that verified that cases in DC, in fact, were decreasing.

I'm not sue how anyone can defend CNN on this matter.  It was at best, piss-poor journalism, and at worst an attempt to mislead the American people.  

Do you work in the media?

Fouls, you focus on CNN, as a response to what studies are showing instead of acknowledging them, and you don't address other "media" as not within your narrative. This isn't meant to be directed specifically at you, but this looks like treading back towards what is really a political position, on the "media." We're not going there, this board is not for political discussion. I think we can all agree the media (generalizing extremely broadly there) or news generally is a 24-7 business first and news second. But there is of course all kinds of "media" that has provided informative news about the virus.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Your "immune system" is not the answer, as should be completely obvious.

Your immune system is most assuredly a major factor. The elderly, and others with various health conditions and weakened immune systems are like 90% of the people dying. Just like people are wearing masks and washing hands more often, people should be focusing on boosting their immune systems with exercise, vitamins, etc. I don't know why there is not more attention on that area.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Fouls, you focus on CNN, as a response to what studies are showing instead of acknowledging them, and you don't address other "media" as not within your narrative. This isn't meant to be directed specifically at you, but this looks like treading back towards what is really a political position, on the "media." We're not going there, this board is not for political discussion. I think we can all agree the media (generalizing extremely broadly there) or news generally is a 24-7 business first and news second. But there is of course all kinds of "media" that has provided informative news about the virus.

Exactly. Thanks for clearing that up. If you're complaining about CNN we know which ideology you're siding with. If you complain about Fox, we know which ideology you're siding with. Many times lately I've felt that some are fighting under a veil to skirt the rules by making a political statement without technically making one because it's done under the guise of "the media". When one takes this stance you can't argue against it without bringing up politics. To a certain degree it's baiting an argument we really shouldn't be getting into. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Exactly. Thanks for clearing that up. If you're complaining about CNN we know which ideology you're siding with. If you complain about Fox, we know which ideology you're siding with. Many times lately I've felt that some are fighting under a veil to skirt the rules by making a political statement without technically making one because it's done under the guise of "the media". When one takes this stance you can't argue against it without bringing up politics. To a certain degree it's baiting an argument we really shouldn't be getting into. 

WGN America to launch ‘unbiased’ cable newscast  September 1, 2020

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I like that idea and will defnitely check it out, but I'm sure with the cynicism out there some will find bias in that rnewscast as soon as they report on something they don't agree with. haha. Reporting news seems to be an unwinnable battle these days, which is pretty sad.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUskim said:

As much as I would love for something like this. Is it even possible?

My understanding. Is upon launch. It will be just for three hours, daily.  Having said that. I am highly interested.  And will be setting a reminder to tune in September 1.  Time will tell.  It would be refreshing to just get the news again. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUskim said:

As much as I would love for something like this. Is it even possible?

To clear up my above statement. I think it's very possible, but it's hard when extremes muddy the water. The people who choose to believe the extremes will never believe what is neutral. 

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

To clear up my above statement. I think it's very possible, but it's hard when extremes muddy the water. The people who choose to believe the extremes will never believe what is neutral. 

This is true. Unfortunately. 

7 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

My understanding. Is upon launch. It will be just for three hours, daily.  Having said that. I am highly interested.  And will be setting a reminder to tune in September 1.  Time will tell.  It would be refreshing to just get the news again. 

Yes it will. For sure. 

37 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Maybe the next Walter Cronkite will miraculously be discovered.  😊

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Or, it could be that 80% of the time I'm reading what is going on in the world, I'm pulling up CNN.  I happen to like their layout much better than other news pages, so that's where I go most often.  If I stumbled across the DC article on another site, I would have addressed it the same way.  I supported my argument with information from  the New York Times. which is viewed by many as leaning the same direction politically as CNN.  Yet, you overlooked that.  You can't have it both ways.  You can't accuse me of sneaking politics into that DC discussion.  You just can't. Do you have any insight into my voting record over the years?  Be careful when you answer that.

The funniest thing about it is, at the start of the DC discussion, I published some numbers that showed DC was declining.  You and others basically implied that I was fishing for numbers that supported my position.  A few days later, you used Johns Hopkins for your numbers, presumably feeling they were more trustworthy.  Let me share a secret.  See below.  That's right.  Johns Hopkins is using numbers provided by my source.  Your 'trustworthy' source got it's numbers from my 'untrustworthy' source.  I chose not to point that out earlier, but the more I flak you keep throwing at me on this, I decided not to stay silent any longer.   From my perspective, me calling out CNN (or any other media) from providing patently false information is not political.  It's simply stating a fact.  But, someone defending CNN at all costs, regardless of what they do, because they generally lean a particular way politically is political.

About Worldometer

Worldometer manually analyzes, validates, and aggregates data from thousands of sources in real time and provides global COVID-19 live statistics for a wide audience of caring people around the world.

Our data is also trusted and used by the UK Government, Johns Hopkins CSSE, the Government of Thailand, the Government of Vietnam, the Government of Pakistan, Financial Times, The New York Times, Business Insider, BBC, and many others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In other mile family virus related news.  We still are attending church via zoom.  But this week. Mrs. mile had been conducting drive by's to some of our elder church members.  Not really drive by's.  That's what we call them.  More like drive to's.  As she  goes to their houses with other church members.  Park. And.  Take lawn chairs.  Talk. Honoring socially distancing.

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Or, it could be that 80% of the time I'm reading what is going on in the world, I'm pulling up CNN.  I happen to like their layout much better than other news pages, so that's where I go most often.  If I stumbled across the DC article on another site, I would have addressed it the same way.  I supported my argument with information from  the New York Times. which is viewed by many as leaning the same direction politically as CNN.  Yet, you overlooked that.  You can't have it both ways.  You can't accuse me of sneaking politics into that DC discussion.  You just can't. Do you have any insight into my voting record over the years?  Be careful when you answer that.

The funniest thing about it is, at the start of the DC discussion, I published some numbers that showed DC was declining.  You and others basically implied that I was fishing for numbers that supported my position.  A few days later, you used Johns Hopkins for your numbers, presumably feeling they were more trustworthy.  Let me share a secret.  See below.  That's right.  Johns Hopkins is using numbers provided by my source.  Your 'trustworthy' source got it's numbers from my 'untrustworthy' source.  I chose not to point that out earlier, but the more I flak you keep throwing at me on this, I decided not to stay silent any longer.   From my perspective, me calling out CNN (or any other media) from providing patently false information is not political.  It's simply stating a fact.  But, someone defending CNN at all costs, regardless of what they do, because they generally lean a particular way politically is political.

About Worldometer

Worldometer manually analyzes, validates, and aggregates data from thousands of sources in real time and provides global COVID-19 live statistics for a wide audience of caring people around the world.

Our data is also trusted and used by the UK Government, Johns Hopkins CSSE, the Government of Thailand, the Government of Vietnam, the Government of Pakistan, Financial Times, The New York Times, Business Insider, BBC, and many others.

Fouls good grief I’m not interested in and am not going to debate your politics or motives, and specifically said my post wasn’t really directed at you (personally), but we’re not going you tolerate a bunch of posts lambasting “the media” and repeatedly cnn. You had like one post on the NYT and repeatedly bash cnn - and for what it’s worth your “data” was not validated by Johns Hopkins just because your “source” says that Johns Hopkins and others “trusts” its data generally. Obviously the Johns Hopkins data specifically tracked states including 16 with increasing Covid cases which you had rejected before including trying to minimize Harris County newspaper coverage / studies of increased cases here in the Houston area. 

but again giving you the benefit of the doubt, this is to everyone, stop the anti-media posts and attacks on specific media, I don’t care if it’s cnn or Fox News, just look above including tdhoosier’s post as how those posts are interpreted here. This is not a board to critique anyone’s politics and the thinly veiled bs political stuff (by others) is clear in this thread. No more of that.

4 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I'm done after this post. 

You and @Hoosierhoopsterare assuming something that is simply not true.  Criticizing false information is not political.  DEFENDING false information is.

I voted in the Indiana primary this Tuesday.  Care to guess which party's ballot I filled out?  Based on your post above and Hoopsters ongoing crusade, you both would be wrong.

As I said, I'm done.  I will engage in facts only and if people want to discuss those, I'll be happy to do so.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm done after this post. 

You and @Hoosierhoopsterare assuming something that is simply not true.  Criticizing false information is not political.  DEFENDING false information is.

I voted in the Indiana primary this Tuesday.  Care to guess which party's ballot I filled out?  Based on your post above and Hoopsters ongoing crusade, you both would be wrong.

As I said, I'm done.  I will engage in facts only and if people want to discuss those, I'll be happy to do so.  

Bro, I appreciate your comments.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rico said:

Bro, I appreciate your comments.  

Thank you,  There was nothing political at all in anything I've posted about Coronavirus.  I've been sharing facts from the #1 source on the subject all along. 

That said, whether it be people assuming something about me that is simply not true, or whether people don't like the facts I'm sharing and making an issue of it, I'm done offering opinions on facts on this subject.  That's a shame, because that is what message boards are all about,

One last thing.

Every opinion I've expressed in this thread, I've backed up with facts.  Several times in this thread, I've asked people to back up their opinions with facts and never received a response.  Yet, I'm the one being questioned about my motives.  What is wrong with that picture? 

• Like 5