Coronavirus

Reacher

I think I understand now, after reading several pages I come to the conclusion that we can discuss just about anything as long as our cited sources are not  CNN or FOX NEWS.  I wanted to capitalize both so no one could say that I was leaning one way or the other. I personally think that our Politics Police are a little over zealous in their interpretations of what is acceptable and what is not. In defense of @5fouls I did not see anything that could be taken as a political shot,  to do so is really stretching.  That's just my opinion which means nothing so carry on

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I dont know. If it were just social fistancing, wouldn't the death graph mirror the case count graph?

The current (albeit it short) trend is the rate of deaths are declining significantly more quickly than the rate of death.

I was speaking more to the new cases graph vs. the deaths graph. 

As for the death's graph, maybe it's an all of the above answer. But societal behavior may influence that too...a little. For example, many of the deaths have come from nursing homes, and distancing policies put in place are much safer for the resident's: no visitors, no leaving, daily temperature checks, etc. 

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think I understand now, after reading several pages I come to the conclusion that we can discuss just about anything as long as our cited sources are not  CNN or FOX NEWS.  I wanted to capitalize both so no one could say that I was leaning one way or the other. I personally think that our Politics Police are a little over zealous in their interpretations of what is acceptable and what is not. In defense of @5fouls I did not see anything that could be taken as a political shot,  to do so is really stretching.  That's just my opinion which means nothing so carry on

Oh, we are the politics police now? Over zealous?

Walk one day in my shoes dealing with moderating, deleting and answering countless private messages.

You may not like what we do. You may disagree, and you clearly do not understand what I have had to deal with trying to moderate the boards at this time.

But keep posting your insulting messages about us. Keep slamming us.

That will solve it all, or at least make you feel better.

I expected better from you B.

27 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Oh, we are the politics police now? Over zealous?

Walk one day in my shoes dealing with moderating, deleting and answering countless private messages.

You may not like what we do. You may disagree, and you clearly do not understand what I have had to deal with trying to moderate the boards at this time.

But keep posting you insulting messages about us. Keep slamming us.

That will solve it all, or at least make you feel better.

I expected better from you B.

I dont have any idea at all and don't want that responsibility.  The comment was partly tongue in cheek and maybe a bad attempt at some humor but in all honesty anyone that finds @5fouls comments as being political I think is being very over zealous 

I dont think I insulted or slammed anyone but if that is how it was perceived I apologize. 

Edited by Billingsley99

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I dont have any idea at all and don't want that responsibility.  The comment was partly tongue in cheek and maybe a bad attempt at some humor but in all honesty anyone that finds @5fouls comments as being political I think is being very over zealous 

And 5fouls talked to all of the moderators in private. Expressing his concerns there, respectfully.

11 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I was speaking more to the new cases graph vs. the deaths graph. 

As for the death's graph, maybe it's an all of the above answer. But societal behavior may influence that too...a little. For example, many of the deaths have come from nursing homes, and distancing policies put in place are much safer for the resident's: no visitors, no leaving, daily temperature checks, etc. 

To further confuse us all. Look at the world wide numbers!

The case graph and death graph are going opposite directions.  

Screenshot_20200608-095135_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200608-095150_Chrome.jpg

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

Feel free to delete my post I just felt that @5fouls was catching some undue heat IMO. 

Nah, we can just move forward. It's not easy. We have plenty of behind the scenes debates as moderators. And don't always agree, even amongst ourselves. 

Our only option is to debate, vote and present a unified voice. Obviously people can, and will, disagree with some of our decisions. We just ask that everybody respects them and understand we are doing the best we can.   :)

• Thanks 1

Economic factors may cost more lives lost than COVID. Did you know alcohol sales taxes are up 25% in some areas? And on the health side, this is rather sobering-

From Dr Scott Atlas-

"Here are the examples of missed health care on which we base our calculations: Emergency stroke evaluations are down 40 percent. Of the 650,000 cancer patients receiving chemotherapy in the United States, an estimated half are missing their treatments. Of the 150,000 new cancer cases typically discovered each month in the U.S., most – as elsewhere in the world – are not being diagnosed, and two-thirds to three-fourths of routine cancer screenings are not happening because of shutdown policies and fear among the population. Nearly 85 percent fewer living-donor transplants are occurring now, compared to the same period last year. In addition, more than half of childhood vaccinations are not being performed, setting up the potential of a massive future health disaster."

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

Chart that shows range of hospital beds being used and how except for MD and a few cases, we are better than a week ago and much better than history.

COVID Chart.jpg

Not so fast.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/04/us-coronavirus-cases-have-been-slowly-ticking-up-since-memorial-day.html?__twitter_impression=true&recirc=taboolainternal

Coronavirus cases in the United States have been slowly ticking up since the Memorial Day holiday, according to a CNBC analysis of data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

New cases hit a peak of 31,578, based on a seven-day average, on April 10 before steadily falling to an eight-week low of  just over 20,600 a day on May 28 — and have been rising ever since. New cases in the U.S. have risen over the last three days in a row with a seven-day average of 21,763 new cases reported Wednesday, the data shows.

Research shows that it can take anywhere from five to 12 days for people to show symptoms from the coronavirus, which may explain why U.S. cases are only just now starting to rise after several states reopened beaches and relaxed social distancing rules over Memorial Day, which fell on May 25. The virus, however, can spread a lot earlier than that and can even be passed along by people who don’t have any symptoms, according to the World Health Organization. Covid-19 patients who develop symptoms are contagious for one to three days before showing any signs of sickness, the WHO said.

The coronavirus, which emerged about five months ago, has sickened more than 1.8 million people and killed at least 107,175 in the United States, according to Hopkins data. While cases are slowing in hot spots such as New York state, cases are on the rise in places like Florida, Texas and Arizona that removed shelter-in-place orders much earlier. 

On Thursday, Florida reported 1,419 new coronavirus cases, its biggest single-day increase, according to state health data. Florida now has more than 60,000 cases.

Earlier in the day, CDC Director Robert Redfield told lawmakers he was worried Americans aren’t following the agency’s advice as states begin to reopen after shuttering businesses and limiting activities as part of social distancing measures intended to curb the spread of the virus.

Crowds of people have been seen in recent weeks at protests, over the Memorial Day holiday and, Redfield noted, at the SpaceX launch over the weekend...

4 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

And 5fouls talked to all of the moderators in private. Expressing his concerns there, respectfully.

To add to what Blue has said.  I did reach out to the mods privately, and each and every one shared his own personal thoughts, which I appreciated. 

I'll be honest,  I still don't have a clear understanding of why reporting facts, regardless of the source would be political.  That said, I appreciate all of our mods, and I have a great respect for this wonderful board that @Colonialcresterhas given us to enjoy over the years. 

If some felt I was being political, I can't exactly apologize, because I wasn't.  Facts are facts, regardless of the source. As I explained to the mods, in my voting life, I have probably voted for an equal number of candidates from each party.   However, what I can do is be more careful with choosing my sources. Some sources are simply going to generate a negative reaction regardless of the content of the story.  In the end, I don't want to be responsible for bringing political discord to the board.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Not so fast.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/04/us-coronavirus-cases-have-been-slowly-ticking-up-since-memorial-day.html?__twitter_impression=true&recirc=taboolainternal

Coronavirus cases in the United States have been slowly ticking up since the Memorial Day holiday, according to a CNBC analysis of data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

New cases hit a peak of 31,578, based on a seven-day average, on April 10 before steadily falling to an eight-week low of  just over 20,600 a day on May 28 — and have been rising ever since. New cases in the U.S. have risen over the last three days in a row with a seven-day average of 21,763 new cases reported Wednesday, the data shows.

Research shows that it can take anywhere from five to 12 days for people to show symptoms from the coronavirus, which may explain why U.S. cases are only just now starting to rise after several states reopened beaches and relaxed social distancing rules over Memorial Day, which fell on May 25. The virus, however, can spread a lot earlier than that and can even be passed along by people who don’t have any symptoms, according to the World Health Organization. Covid-19 patients who develop symptoms are contagious for one to three days before showing any signs of sickness, the WHO said.

The coronavirus, which emerged about five months ago, has sickened more than 1.8 million people and killed at least 107,175 in the United States, according to Hopkins data. While cases are slowing in hot spots such as New York state, cases are on the rise in places like Florida, Texas and Arizona that removed shelter-in-place orders much earlier. 

On Thursday, Florida reported 1,419 new coronavirus cases, its biggest single-day increase, according to state health data. Florida now has more than 60,000 cases.

Earlier in the day, CDC Director Robert Redfield told lawmakers he was worried Americans aren’t following the agency’s advice as states begin to reopen after shuttering businesses and limiting activities as part of social distancing measures intended to curb the spread of the virus.

Crowds of people have been seen in recent weeks at protests, over the Memorial Day holiday and, Redfield noted, at the SpaceX launch over the weekend...

You are comparing apples to oranges. While cases may be rising, hospital bed use was clearly declining. Perhaps the new cases aren't as severe? Perhaps we are catching them earlier? Treating better? I'm not the  expert, you can draw your own conclusions. Just pointing out that new cases are not the same as hospital bed use. We wanted to get ahead of the curve and not strain our healthcare resources.  It looks like, for the most part, we achieved that. 

4 minutes ago, Reacher said:

You are comparing apples to oranges. While cases may be rising, hospital bed use was clearly declining. Perhaps the new cases aren't as severe? Perhaps we are catching them earlier? Treating better? I'm not the  expert, you can draw your own conclusions. Just pointing out that new cases are not the same as hospital bed use. We wanted to get ahead of the curve and not strain our healthcare resources.  It looks like, for the most part, we achieved that. 

I think you're speculating here. You've posted various articles and made various posts about the virus going away. It's not. Who knows on use of hospital beds. We are not, however, "better than a week ago and much better than history."

As I posted I suspected earlier, the states that opened up earlier (Texas etc.) are now showing a steady increase in COVID cases. Hopefully that doesn't stay on this track and measures are followed to limit further growth.

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think you're speculating here. You've posted various articles and made various posts about the virus going away. It's not. Who knows on use of hospital beds. We are not, however, "better than a week ago and much better than history."

As I posted I suspected earlier, the states that opened up earlier (Texas etc.) are now showing a steady increase in COVID cases. Hopefully that doesn't stay on this track and measures are followed to limit further growth.

I am bombarded by news and when I see a COVID article, I bring it here to share. You are making this more than it is. I have no agenda to push, I hope the virus goes away but I have no idea what will happen. Let's reserve judgement and see what happens. Many people had thoughts early on that have proved wrong. Let the story evolve. Like many, I have an interest and am always looking to learn. I feel like you are attacking me and @5foulsfor some unknown reason. 

The data clearly shows not as many hospital beds are in use (except for a few outliers like MD) which is what i was referring to when i said  we are "better than a week ago and much better than history." so if you want to argue that point, show me where you see hospitals being overrun. Anecdotally, my local hospital has 80 negative pressure rooms and used 78 at their peak. Last week they were at 28 ( I just had my annual physical and that is per my Dr who is on staff there) so that echoes what the chart shows. In case you are interested, the chart was provided by the investment firm Natixis for their advisors. 

Your opinion is the virus is not going away. Great. Believe it or not, I have no idea if it will. I'm not sure how you can be so certain, but I'm not going to say you are not entitled to your own opinion. I have brought forward articles /research that show it may be changing. People can form their own opinions. Maybe that will all be proven false just like the hydrochloroquine study was. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Not so fast.

I just heard a doctor on the radio saying not to mind the number of cases being reported. What is important is are these severe cases and the cases requiring hospitalizations and eventually hospitalization and eventual death. Quite possible more people are being tested leading to asymptomatic people being diagnosed and younger and healthier people. We know these are not a problem. WHO just said asymptomatic people are unlikely to be transmitters.

31 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I just heard a doctor on the radio saying not to mind the number of cases being reported. What is important is are these severe cases and the cases requiring hospitalizations and eventually hospitalization and eventual death. Quite possible more people are being tested leading to asymptomatic people being diagnosed and younger and healthier people. We know these are not a problem. WHO just said asymptomatic people are unlikely to be transmitters.

So you heard a doctor on the radio say not to mind the number of cases and from that you draw the conclusion that younger and healthier people are being diagnosed and they are not the problem because WHO said asymptotic people (contrary to the cdc’s opinion but ok)  are unlikely to be transmitters, and this is how you respond to the basic and simple point that cases are in fact (not my “Opinion”) increasing, in states which opened up earlier? 
And I am attacking you? And you’re just posting articles? 
Ok, sure. 
The deal is, Covid cases have  been increasing and recently in states like, as I said, Texas, where per State / local directives had things open up sooner, because, again, and as recognized by the cdc etc, when people just run back to life as usual without wearing masks or practicing social distancing then, golly, infection rates are likely to go back up because, clearly, the virus did not just disappear.
That’s been my simple point from day 1. Not don’t go back to work. Not forget the economy. Just be responsible in going back to work and life to make good on the benefits of social distancing etc so we can in fact eventually put the stupid virus behind us. That’s it 

41 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

So you heard a doctor on the radio say not to mind the number of cases and from that you draw the conclusion that younger and healthier people are being diagnosed and they are not the problem because WHO said asymptotic people (contrary to the cdc’s opinion but ok)  are unlikely to be transmitters, and this is how you respond to the basic and simple point that cases are in fact (not my “Opinion”) increasing, in states which opened up earlier? 
And I am attacking you? And you’re just posting articles? 
Ok, sure. 
The deal is, Covid cases have  been increasing and recently in states like, as I said, Texas, where per State / local directives had things open up sooner, because, again, and as recognized by the cdc etc, when people just run back to life as usual without wearing masks or practicing social distancing then, golly, infection rates are likely to go back up because, clearly, the virus did not just disappear.
That’s been my simple point from day 1. Not don’t go back to work. Not forget the economy. Just be responsible in going back to work and life to make good on the benefits of social distancing etc so we can in fact eventually put the stupid virus behind us. That’s it 

That was the Drs conclusion, not mine. I dictated my response while driving so it may not have read the best. Makes sense to me. If deaths and hospital usage are declining, I'd say we are heading in the right direction regardless of the number of cases. It does make sense cases will increase as states reopen. As long as the healthcare system can handle it, I agree we need to reopen as fast as possible and let individuals and businesses be creative in how they protect themselves and their employees. Can't say I disagree with any of that. 

I stated earlier, Dr Mike Rozien, Oprahs Dr and the Director of the Cleveland Clinic, thinks it's quite possible that lives lost due to economic reasons and the lack of routine healthcare will surpass the lives lost from the virus itself. This virus will be affecting us for years- whether or not it weakens, comes back stronger, or whatever else might happen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Reacher said:

Doesn't it seem like the most likely explanation is that the number of new infections was steadily decreasing, and thus hospitalizations decreased. Now, cases are starting to go back up, I would think most people don't instantly become hospitalized when testing positive. Seems like they would start to get sick, go get tested, then get worse, then become hospitalized. So, hospital cases would lag confirmed cases.