Coronavirus

Reacher

I would not exactly use the term "offering hope" to this double lung transplant story.

Weird title if you ask me. Also, the picture of that lung looks worse than the "scare lungs" they used to break out in middle school don't do drugs assemblies.

This is something our docs have been worrying about as it seems like the lungs are really being hit hard. Young woman in her 20s.

this pandemic has changed our world in many ways but for some reason I thought about one of the things it has altered for my family.  Every year we go to at least 1 new MLB park that they boys have not been. This year we were going to St Louis then Kansas city and then to Iowa to see the Field of Dreams.  That's got me bummed now, but on bright side Ayden continues to stay healthy.  Praise God

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

this pandemic has changed our world in many ways but for some reason I thought about one of the things it has altered for my family.  Every year we go to at least 1 new MLB park that they boys have not been. This year we were going to St Louis then Kansas city and then to Iowa to see the Field of Dreams.  That's got me bummed now, but on bright side Ayden continues to stay healthy.  Praise God

Yes. Praise to God. For Ayden. Always in my thoughts.  Continue to keep him safe. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/5/2020 at 5:03 PM, 5fouls said:

I find it interesting to compare current numbers to the same day of the week in previous weeks.  It does not make sense to compare a Sunday to a Wednesday, for instance, because not everyone reports consistently on the weekends.

New U.S. cases over last 6 Thursdays

• June 11th - 23,300
  • June 4th - 22,268
  • May 28th - 22,658
  • May 21st - 28,175
  • May 14th - 27,246
  • May 7th - 29,162

New U.S. deaths over last 6 Thursdays

• June 11th - 904
  • June 4th - 1,031
  • May 28th - 1,223
  • May 21st - 1,411
  • May 14th - 1,753
  • May 7th - 2,129

Updated with this Thursday's totals.  Increases in cases, drop in deaths.  Will be interesting to see if those trends continue for through the summer.  More cases as more testing and less social distancing occur, but lower deaths as the most vulnerable have already succumbed to the virus.

Edited by 5fouls

Carinovirus related story from the mile household today.  The property taxes on our rentals is due on Monday. However, checking the county treasurers website. We saw that unlike years before, where you can just walk in and pay your taxes. Now... you must set up an appointment.  In previous years, both I and Mrs. mile would simply walk in. Our appointment was set for 11:30 today. And they told us that only one could come into the office. And that person had to wear a mask. Mrs. mile got there early. And was met outside by a police officer. Who asked why she was there.  Mrs. mile was all ready wearing a mask. But the police officer asked if she had an appointment. And then proceeded to call upstairs to confirm the appointment.  While Mrs. mile was waiting out side. Other people, needing to pay their taxes, either did not have a mask or an appointment. Were turned away. 

OK.  Routine so far. What bothered me. Is that every one entering the building is required to wear a mask. The policeman had a mask on.  However, when Mrs. mile got into the Treasurer's office.  She reported back to me. That not one person working there was wearing a mask.

Such is life during this pandemic.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Carinovirus related story from the mile household today.  The property taxes on our rentals is due on Monday. However, checking the county treasurers website. We saw that unlike years before, where you can just walk in and pay your taxes. Now... you must set up an appointment.  In previous years, both I and Mrs. mile would simply walk in. Our appointment was set for 11:30 today. And they told us that only one could come into the office. And that person had to wear a mask. Mrs. mile got there early. And was met outside by a police officer. Who asked why she was there.  Mrs. mile was all ready wearing a mask. But the police officer asked if she had an appointment. And then proceeded to call upstairs to confirm the appointment.  While Mrs. mile was waiting out side. Other people, needing to pay their taxes, either did not have a mask or an appointment. Were turned away. 

OK.  Routine so far. What bothered me. Is that every one entering the building is required to wear a mask. The policeman had a mask on.  However, when Mrs. mile got into the Treasurer's office.  She reported back to me. That not one person working there was wearing a mask.

Such is life during this pandemic.

Consistently inconsistent!

9 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

@milehiiu

Do you have the option to pay online?  Paid the taxes for my extra lot online a few weeks ago. It's good for me because it's hard to get to the treasures office during hours because of work. 

Don't know. We can mail a check.  However.... we pay by cash every year.  Always making sure to get  a receipt.

Edited by milehiiu

Neighbor's daughter has Corona because, basically every day since  the stay home / work safe rules were relaxed here in Texas, they've been throwing pool parties, with all kinds of kids and no masks, etc. Now she has the virus (and, probably, a number of other neighborhood high schoolers do too). People, the virus hasn't gone anywhere, just practice social distancing, wear your masks, and think smart. 

• Like 5

This virus is never going away. It will be like the the Hong Kong flu of 1968-69, eventually be classified as another type influenza.  

This virus is contagious but will ultimately end up not very deadly.  Good grief less than 1% of the US population had tested positive for this and we are 6 months in.  

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

This virus is never going away. It will be like the the Hong Kong flu of 1968-69, eventually be classified as another type influenza.  

This virus is contagious but will ultimately end up not very deadly.  Good grief less than 1% of the US population had tested positive for this and we are 6 months in.  

The other thing to keep in mind is that the most vulnerable have already been impacted.  In Indiana, more than 50 percent of deaths are people over 80.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The other thing to keep in mind is that the most vulnerable have already been impacted.  In Indiana, more than 50 percent of deaths are people over 80.

We have been dealing with this for months, with some governors putting recovering patients in nursing homes! And now with the "protests", and things opening up, increases in cases and testing but a negative correlation of positive cases and deaths, seems to me things are on the end of the bell curve.

46 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Also a lot of deaths are in nursing homes.  My aunt is in a nursing home in Greenfield and they have had over 25 deaths due to the virus.  My Aunt was the only one in her wing who did not have the virus so they moved everyone but her to a different location.

46 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

There’s still so much we don’t know about this annoying virus, there are a fair number of young people who died or had really bad health situations because of strokes and similar issues that have now been tied to the virus. It’s not as simple as saying hey a bunch of elderly people died and people with deficient immune systems got sick so we’re ok. It’s still here, clearly, cases are going up again because people are from fundamentally stupid and cavalier, it affects different groups in different ways, and we’re months from a vaccine.

it may or may not be around forever, like the flu, but I believe we’ll ultimately have a vaccine or otherwise it’s danger will have significantly diminished. But in the meantime we need to continue to practice social distancing etc 

• Like 1

Small sample size and just my gut assessment of following the Georgia curve since things started opening up. The number of cases have had a couple of additional humps as people have been going out and about. Most doing their part of social distancing. Many not though. On the other hand deaths has been on a steady decline. Seems to me the at risk people are taking care of themselves but the ones not as much at risk are not doing such a good job. I see this every day going back and forth to work!

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Clarification on ‘already been impacted’? Some of the most vulnerable have been impacted, but are you saying a majority of the vulnerable have already been impacted, thus a majority of those deaths have already occurred for that segment of the population? 

or do you just mean of those who have tested positive?