Coronavirus

Reacher

48 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

So again, the "facts" are daily record level increases in covid infections, overall increased infections, and resulting increased hospitalization rates.  I just don't understand why that is ignored.

1. Do you think that, generally, when you have, as we do, increased hospitalization rates on a daily and overall rate, following increased infections, as we have, that increased death rates usually would follow? I think that's fairly obvious  Will it happen here, again? Don't know, and hope not -- I'm sure we agree on that. I hope that we are now at a point where the majority of those new infections are those with a better ability to handle the virus, and that our treatments have improved to better handle the virus -- that seems to be being borne out in part. But we don't know, aren't we in a wait and see on this? 

2. Do you think that we'll be able to achieve a robust return to pre-Covid economic conditions without getting a real handle on this virus, as in stopping the repeat spikes and renewed growth of the virus? I don't know, I'm not an economist, but I think that's also probably the case. The rush back to work / re-opening bars, etc., without requiring businesses to implement mask-wearing and social distancing was at least in part to blame for the renewed spread and increased hospitalizations, etc. I want everyone back in school and work, everyone is suffering, financially, but, I believe, we need to keep forcing business owners in particular to comply with mask/social distancing protocol to help curb the renewed spread/infection rates. I'm not sure why some argue against that, to me, that's just foolish. I stop in a restaurant where it's posted masks are required. People walk in wearing masks, then take them off, and the restaurant carries on business as usual. Stupid, to me.

No one is disputing or ignoring those facts. People are pointing out other issues. Every post doesn't have to start with this disclaimer- "Daily record level increases in covid infections, overall increased infections, and resulting increased hospitalization rates" . There are other angles to this story. 

1) Not necessarily for reasons I have previously pointed out. Time will tell....

2) No. People will have to feel comfortable, including those at higher risk. We are recovering but may plateau out at 90-95%. A square root recovery. From there it may take 1-2 years to get back to where we were as Bars, hotels and others will be slow to recover and the new world may look a little different. Meanwhile, there will be jobs popping up. Contact tracers for example. MD now has the nations first PPE store. 

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

OK, there you go looking only for argument to promote your view while ignoring and refusing to acknowledge all the clearly accurate facts. This isn't discussion, it's just message driven argument. I don't understand why it is that you are unable to acknowledge the facts of increased hospitalization, increased spread, and that Houston has been hard hit by it. Why is that hard for you to do?

I think I acknowledged that there was a spike here in the Houston area with this post...

"Just so happens I live in Texas too...

This is what I'm seeing...

The death rate peaked May 26th and has been in decline since

There's optimism that hospital capacities are manageable

Is there a spike? Yes, certainly...probably many reasons for it...bars opened, Memorial Day gatherings, the protests downtown to name a few..."

And you instead try to spin what I said?

I also noticed you left off your assertion of "increased deaths." I'm not trying to "spin" anything. Facts are indeed facts. The death rate has been going down since May. That's indisputable. Will they start rising again? We don't know that. There's a possibility. But that's not a "fact."

1. Do you think that, generally, when you have, as we do, increased hospitalization rates on a daily and overall rate, following increased infections, as we have, that increased death rates usually would follow? I think that's fairly obvious  Will it happen here, again? Don't know, and hope not -- I'm sure we agree on that. I hope that we are now at a point where the majority of those new infections are those with a better ability to handle the virus, and that our treatments have improved to better handle the virus -- that seems to be being borne out in part. But we don't know, aren't we in a wait and see on this? 

Not necessarily. Some of the most vulnerable have already succumbed to this virus. Now that we're looking at a younger, more healthy group, a higher death rate might not be a given. Dr Sharma admitted as much. 

2. Do you think that we'll be able to achieve a robust return to pre-Covid economic conditions without getting a real handle on this virus, as in stopping the repeat spikes and renewed growth of the virus? I don't know, I'm not an economist, but I think that's also probably the case. The rush back to work / re-opening bars, etc., without requiring businesses to implement mask-wearing and social distancing was at least in part to blame for the renewed spread and increased hospitalizations, etc. I want everyone back in school and work, everyone is suffering, financially, but, I believe, we need to keep forcing business owners in particular to comply with mask/social distancing protocol to help curb the renewed spread/infection rates. I'm not sure why some argue against that, to me, that's just foolish. I stop in a restaurant where it's posted masks are required. People walk in wearing masks, then take them off, and the restaurant carries on business as usual. Stupid, to me.

I've said this before...we have to try to balance re-opening and the virus taking into account people's financial well-being and mental health aspects. I'll take 2 steps forward, and one occasional step back for now.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Down here in little 'ol Evansville, Indiana, there has been a spike in covid cases. Last week saw an unexpected surge of over 60 cases and yesterday, Wednesday, there was 17 cases in one day, the most reported so far. Most of the new cases are coming from the 18-30 age group.

I posted earlier a few days back that the Colorado governor has closed bars after opening them up.  Now we have this :

Colorado's COVID-19 outbreaks now at retail outlets, restaurants

Even if you can't view the story. The headline tells it all.

Edited by milehiiu

I haven’t followed the debate and I’m not sure what everybody’s position is, but I will state my thoughts and see if I’m as neutral as Switzerland. 

1. You would expect the death rate (as a percentage of cases) to drop considerably.   That should be fairly obvious when you see we are testing more people and with how many young people are getting infected.  In addition, we have experience with treatments, including certain techniques used in hospitals, e.g., how they lay the patients etc.  We now have Remdesivir being used, as well as the steroid treatment.  We also have the plasma treatments which I’m told are especially very important.  

2.  Will the weekly raw death number similarly nosedive?  I sure hope so.  Even if the percentage is lower and lower, if the infection spreads so severely, we could have the raw number of deaths per week be higher than it was.  

3.  While I agree that the raw number of deaths per time period is a very important statistic, so is the number of hospitalizations.  It’s not just about deaths.  To me, people gloss over that.   Having a lot of hospitalizations puts tremendous strain on the medical system and personnel and is not a trivial issue.  There are real people who are committed to helping and they are put under tremendous strain.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

image.png.2dd9ad3bb9822e4aa1eddda0e567194b.png

I really dont care, Scott. If you're worried.. stay home. I shouldn't HAVE to wear a mask. 95 degree kickoff on turf... with a mask on, REALLY smart. 

The average age of officials is probably 45, sure that'll go over well.

.05% of people 😂😂😂 

Edited by btownqb

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I really dont care, Scott. If you're worried.. stay home. I shouldn't HAVE to wear a mask. 95 degree kickoff on turf... with a mask on, REALLY smart. 

The average age of officials is probably 45, sure that'll go over well. 

To me that attitude is very selfish because it is just not about you but everyone you come in contact with and then who those people come in contact with.  Do you have parents or grand parents who are getting older who you come in contact with because you could be putting them at risk.  How hard is it to wear a mask and help stop the spread of this virus.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me that attitude is very selfish because it is just not about you but everyone you come in contact with and then who those people come in contact with.  Do you have parents or grand parents who are getting older who you come in contact with because you could be putting them at risk.  How hard is it to wear a mask and help stop the spread of this virus.

Then those people need to stay home. If you're worried, stay home and I'm not saying that lightly or to poke fun. Do you go outside during a hurricane? Or a tornado? Hail storm? Like where do you get to draw the line on my freedom? 

How hard is it not to be a criminal, not lie, not cheat, not do a lot of crap? To me none of that is hard. 

I will NOT wear a mask unless the IHSAA tells us we have to to coach. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Then those people need to stay home. If you're worried, stay home and I'm not saying that lightly or to poke fun. Do you go outside during a hurricane? Or a tornado? Hail storm? Like where do you get to draw the line on my freedom? 

How hard is it not to be a criminal, not lie, not cheat, not do a lot of crap? To me none of that is hard. 

I will NOT wear a mask unless the IHSAA tells us we have to to coach. 

Well to have a season you will probably have to and again it is just not about you  So are you staying totally away from any elderly family because if you don't wear a mask and go around them you are putting them in jeopardy.

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

3 p.m. Mountain Time July 2.  Just saw on tv that Texas is mandating face masks in the state.

I don't like wearing mask because it makes it harder to breath especially wearing glasses.  I will not go inside a store without one though because there are way to many people in the store to not to wear one.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Well to have a season you will probably have to and again it is just not about you  So are you staying totally away from any elderly family because if you don't wear a mask and go around them you are putting them in jeopardy.

Then.....they.....need.....to....stay....home

Just now, IU Scott said:

I don't like wearing mask because it makes it harder to breath especially wearing glasses.  I will not go inside a store without one though because there are way to many people in the store to not to wear one.

going in a store is about 1,000 different than asking someone on 110 degree surface to wear a mask

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott mandates face masks in most counties | The Texas Tribune

I don't go out much anymore. Haven't for months. But did today. For trips to Home Depot and Walmart... for things I needed or wanted.  Gotta say... only saw just one person not wearing a mask.

I hate doing self check out. However there was just one people lane open at Walmart.  With a long line of ladies with full grocery carts ahead of me. So. I opted for self check out.  Had a problem with one item.  And a very kind lady came to help. I stepped behind her.  And she politely asked be to step back. Which I did.

Strange times in the neighborhood.

Edited by milehiiu

Just now, IU Scott said:

I am saying that if you visit them at their home you are still putting them at risk.  I just don't see why you have such a hard time wearing a mask.

Why would I visit them? I don't visit old people. I wouldn't now because of the threat, but jesus... again... wayyyy different than coaching football. Way different. 

Just now, milehiiu said:

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott mandates face masks in most counties | The Texas Tribune

I don't go our much anymore. Haven't for months. But did today. For trips to Home Depot and Walmart... for things I needed or wanted.  Gotta say... only saw just one person not wearing a mask.

I hate doing self check out. However there was just one people lane open at Walmart.  With a long line of ladies with full grocery carts ahead of me. So. I opted for self check out.  Had a problem with one item.  And a very kind lady came to help. I stepped behind her.  And she politely asked be to step back. Which I did.

Strange times in the neighborhood.

I havent seen anymore than 50% wearing a mask in a wal mart, honestly. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Why would I visit them? I don't visit old people. I wouldn't now because of the threat, but jesus... again... wayyyy different than coaching football. Way different. 

So you don't have any family that is elderly or you don't visit family at all.  I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this topic.  Being a person that has had this virus and have their elderly parents living with them I have seen what this virus can do to people.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So you don't have any family that is elderly or you don't visit family at all.  I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this topic.  Being a person that has had this virus and have their elderly parents living with them I have seen what this virus can do to people.

I know exactly what the virus can do. It can kill .05% of people that GET the disease. 

My family is irrelevant to what I'm talking about. My family and I can decide the best route to take at gatherings and what not. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1