Coronavirus

Reacher

Just now, mrflynn03 said:

Health officials really need to stop throwing out estimates until adequate testing has been done. 

Italy is scaring people but Italy is the 5th oldest population in the world with a alot of smokers. There are cultural and hygiene differences between the USA and Europe. 

Also, the way I understand it, Italy has the deadliest of the two variations. Last I read there are no reported incidences of that strain in America. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

What the heck is wrong with people? I’ve never seen so many panicky morons in my life.

Try to do some basic grocery shopping and idiots are buying up all the toilet paper and one stupid lady grabbed 8 gallons on milk? 

has everyone gone crazy? This is not the freaking plague, NO one is running out of toilet paper. What the hell is wrong with people? 

Go read one of our game threads, and you'll see why people are freaking out over Corona Virus! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Jasper, In Walmart is cleaned out of all paper products, canned goods, and well everything. Just saw some pics someone posted on facebook. Man this is a wild event. 

OK. It is nuts.  However, being the half glass full kind of guy I am.  I am looking at resupplying the shelves and what that means to not only the producers of products, but also in the income that is and will come to the stores.  Additionally, as I posted earlier, in this thread. Our largest grocery chain in Colorado is having a job fair today. In order to hire people for 56 stores, to help with the supply process.  Jobs... that normally would not be available to people who needed work.

Oh by the way.  Enterprise car rentals has lowered the age from 21 to 18 for a limited time.  In order for students that can't get transportation while their school is shut down to get home.  That is what I call a company coming together to help out.

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

Just to input a bit of good feeling into this Gloom and Doom thread! Just took the glass out of my screen door to enjoy the fresh air! It's freaking 90degs here! Spring is Springing!

Waite! In order to properly implement self quarantine, do I need to put the glass back in and close the door?

• Haha 1

My son works at the Danville Wal Mart and he said Friday was worst than Black Friday.  Also he is now taking advantage of Wal Mart letting their employees not coming to work if they don't feel comfortable without any repercussions.  With his baby beig due this coming week he does not wat to take a chance of catching this or even just the regular flue so he will be taking a leave from work.  He is already had all his classes this semester from IUPUI on line so he does not have to worry about school.

My take based on the actual math...

I listened to both press conferences given by the virus task force yesterday and today. Dr Birx said on both occasions that our trend line was starting to look a lot like S Korea's in terms of testing results, and efforts to contain it.

Today she put some actual numbers to that statement. Of the people tested in S Korea, 94%+ tested NEGATIVE for the Corona Virus. While those people had respiratory issues, and other symptoms, they did NOT have Corona Virus. Of the people that did test positive for the virus, the vast majority of them have, or are getting better.

So...if only 6% of the people tested are positive for the virus, and most (say 75%-90%) recover fully, that means 1% to 1½% require additional care, hospitalization, or (God forbid) die.

When the US ramps up the testing, we will no doubt see a bunch more cases. But the mortality rate may in fact be less than that experienced by S Korea. Dr Birx suggested that our mortality rate would be 1% or LESS. (and this is based on the # of cases, not based on the 350M population of the US, like the Flu mortality rate)

This is WAY over blown in the media (surprise, surprise as Gomer Pile would say). Sure the uncertainty is disconcerting, but we've gone bat$hit crazy over this. Yes, we should take precautions, be aware of the people we are around, and not expose anybody else if we have symptoms of any kind (and that includes the Flu as well). That's just good, prudent behavior.

I just hope there comes a time when we can sound the "all clear" horn and get back to normal in the next couple of months.

Edited by DWB
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Just to input a bit of good feeling into this Gloom and Doom thread! Just took the glass out of my screen door to enjoy the fresh air! It's freaking 90degs here! Spring is Springing!

Was going to do some yard work today but it's snowing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Costco parking lots around me have been overflowing for days. No idea what they still have. Walmart and Jewel are pretty wiped out. No water, toilet paper, paper towels, disinfectant, frozen vegetables, pasta and very little vegetables and meats. Found a small local grocer near me that had meat and got a few days worth. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Reacher said:

The Costco parking lots around me have been overflowing for days. No idea what they still have. Walmart and Jewel are pretty wiped out. No water, toilet paper, paper towels, disinfectant, frozen vegetables, pasta and very little vegetables and meats. Found a small local grocer near me that had meat and got a few days worth. 

Local tv in Denver has shown lines of people circling Costco buildings, waiting to get in.  As the stores are limiting the numbers allowed in at one time.

24 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Local tv in Denver has shown lines of people circling Costco buildings, waiting to get in.  As the stores are limiting the numbers allowed in at one time.

I got my gas there Thursday and it was crazy. Looked like Black Friday. 

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Just got a text from my wifes parents who live in Potomac, Illinois, of snow.  And here I am in southern Indiana getting rain.  I love snow btw. 

That's about 45 minutes from where I live, and it has snowed here most of the day.  Nothing really sticking, just a constant light snow.

27 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Just got an e-mail from our Pastor.  He is cancelling services to at least the start of April.  And is working on setting up a live video for Sunday's service on our church's web site.

Our pastor as well but we've had telecast ever since we started going. 

Joshua 1:9

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

• Like 3