Coronavirus

Reacher

6 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Yes. When the chips are down Americans take care of each other. Regardless of what they may believe. How it should and always be.

Yep...as many people as I saw wearing masks, gloves, and hoarding everything they could in Costco and HEB today that I would have liked to kicked right square in the ass, if they would have needed help, I woulda helped em...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

That is where my wife went to school. 

Nice!

They had a stud baseball player, Ryan Bird back in the early 2000s.  Played well in the minors for a few years.

I was a sophomore when he was a senior.  I had faced him a few times before, and didn't do much.  First at bat that game, he threw a low 90s fastball behind me.  I had a pretty good reputation by that point, so I felt like it might have been on purpose.  I tried to stare him down, not sure if that worked or not haha.

Later in the game, I hit a 2 run home run off him in bottom of the 6th inning to put us up by 1.  Put it into the pond at our baseball field.  Definitely a memorable home run!

Edited by Leathernecks
  • Like 2

The Colorado governor issued an executive order, and closed all ski resorts in the state.  Local Walmarts are restricting hours to six or eight maximum.  And I saw on tv, people standing in line for up to  6 hours waiting to get through customs from international flights.

I'm sure people have seen some of the photos but one reason you might not want to be up in the air anytime soon. Check photos online about O'Hare Airport. 6 hour waits to get bags....additional long hours of wait time and literally hundreds of people shoulder to shoulder while waiting. Not really the social distancing you want. Not to mention TSA agent tested positive at Orlando airport. Heaven knows the extent of that person or how many they came in contact with.

55 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm sure people have seen some of the photos but one reason you might not want to be up in the air anytime soon. Check photos online about O'Hare Airport. 6 hour waits to get bags....additional long hours of wait time and literally hundreds of people shoulder to shoulder while waiting. Not really the social distancing you want. Not to mention TSA agent tested positive at Orlando airport. Heaven knows the extent of that person or how many they came in contact with.

Dropped my daughter off at Midway this morning. It was early but minimal crowds, lines

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You could not pay me to fly in or out of O'Hare when Midway is an option.  

Flying into Midway can be a trip. I recall one time flying in there in a  heavy cloud cover.  Could not see anything till we got close to the ground. And was shocked that we were flying down a street, with buildings on both sides of the plane.  That's a long time ago.  And they may have changed the flight patterns since then.  However, that experience alone convinced me never to use Midway again.  Yet. I do agree the O'hare can be a nightmare as well.  Even the traffic in and out of there can be a bear.  All the more reason, why Chicago and Illinois should fund the Chicago/Gary airport as an alternate airport.  But Illinois does not want to do that and have revenues going to Indiana.

Last year, my wife flew to Michigan for a reunion. Could have flown into O'hare. But chose South Bend, just to avoid. O'hare.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Flying into Midway can be a trip. I recall one time flying in there in a  heavy cloud cover.  Could not see anything till we got close to the ground. And was shocked that we were flying down a street, with buildings on both sides of the plane.  That's a long time ago.  And they may have changed the flight patterns since then.  However, that experience alone convinced me never to use Midway again.  Yet. I do agree the O'hare can be a nightmare as well.  Even the traffic in and out of there can be a bear.  All the more reason, why Chicago and Illinois should fund the Chicago/Gary airport as an alternate airport.  But Illinois does not want to do that and have revenues going to Indiana.

Last year, my wife flew to Michigan for a reunion. Could have flown into O'hare. But chose South Bend, just to avoid. O'hare.

I fly into Midway 8-12 times a year when I visit Chicago for work.  I find it very reliable to get me in and out at the scheduled time.  Plus, the train ride to and from downtown is shorter and the crowd on the train significantly less concerning out of Midway than it is O'Hare.

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I fly into Midway 8-12 times a year when I visit Chicago for work.  I find it very reliable to get me in and out at the scheduled time.  Plus, the train ride to and from downtown is shorter and the crowd on the train significantly less concerning out of Midway than it is O'Hare.

It's good to hear that.  Still....think there is a need for a third hub in Gary, Indiana.  Chicago actually poured millions into the airport a few years back to extend one runway to accept "heavies". Currently the airport in Gary is under utilized. 

Gary Chicago International Airport GYY Chicago's Third Airport

I believe all IL schools are closed and no church for all of my diocese.

As for MDW, i remember for my first flight in and out of there. Leaving, the plane backed up to the fence to utilize all of the runway. Returning, they have to really lay on the brakes to slow it down and the plane shudders. If you can take that, I've found MDW to be very reliable in getting planes in and out- even in bad weather. Much easier getting in and out as @5fouls mentioned and no waiting for 15 minutes or more taxing around the airport like at O'Hare. 

As for a third airport, The St of IL has begun plans and bought a lot of land near Peotone. Since the St has no $, hard to say is, or when, it will get built.

Many people I know on the North side of the city actually prefer to go to Milwaukee instead.

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

You could not pay me to fly in or out of O'Hare when Midway is an option.  

Really? I've flown in and out of both quite a bit, and I'd much rather fly out of O'Hare...maybe proximity, because I lived in the western suburbs, but flying all over the country, O'Hare was high on my list of places I didn't mind flying in and out of...and an evening flight out of MDW can be an adventure just getting there...

LaGuardia was the worst...Atlanta is no picnic if you're renting a car...and Houston (IAH...Bush International...not Hobby) is ok, but I've only had my luggage lost 3 times and all 3 times it was at IAH...

Philly sucks too, but at least the cheesesteaks are good...

Edited by IUFLA

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

A lot of people in the Chicagoland area fly out of Rockford any more...

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Really? I've flown in and out of both quite a bit, and I'd much rather fly out of O'Hare...maybe proximity, because I lived in the western suburbs, but flying all over the country, O'Hare was high on my list of places I didn't mind flying in and out of...and an evening flight out of MDW can be an adventure just getting there...

LaGuardia was the worst...Atlanta is no picnic if you're renting a car...and Houston (IAH...Bush International...not Hobby) is ok, but I've only had my luggage lost 3 times and all 3 times it was at IAH...

Philly sucks too, but at least the cheesesteaks are good...

One of the problems with O'hare is that it is too big. And too spread out from terminal to terminal.  One year, we were flying into O'hare from Florida, and transferring to Canada.  Our flight out of Florida was late. Just minutes left to get to the international terminal.  My wife just had her knee replaced. No body there to transport her.  So, she could not run. I told her, I would run ahead.Which I actually ran to get to the other terminal.  Got there as the plane was boarding. Explained the situation, and they were kind enough to hold the plane till my wife arrived.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

A lot of people in the Chicagoland area fly out of Rockford any more...

I know there was a proposal to build a third airport South of Chicago.  Might have been Rockford.  I don't recall which city. But plans got shelved due to the long drive time. Gary's airport is just 25 minutes from downtown Chicago.

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I know there was a proposal to build a third airport South of Chicago.  Might have been Rockford.  I don't recall which city. But plans got shelved due to the long drive time. Gary's airport is just 25 minutes from downtown Chicago.

They did the O'Hare Modernization Project instead...added a runway and closed others...I worked in the automation shop at Chicago ARTCC (out in Aurora) at the time, and we redid all of the routes in automation to go either West or South out of O'Hare...Milwaukee is to the North and they're kinda busy, and they don't like departures going out to the East, so...

I'm familiar with where GYY is...we revamped their SIDs (Standard Instrument Departures) and STARs (Standard Terminal Arrival Routes) as well back in 2011 or so...

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I was supposed to have a layover at O'Hare on Wednesday, in addition to another layover at LAX where they have had airport employees test positive. And on the way back, a layover at DFW where I saw scenes similar to the O'Hare situation online.

All that to say, yeah I cancelled my trip just now. lol

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Ohio governor just announced mandatory closure of all bars and restaurants for an indefinite period of time.  Restaurants with carry out, delivery, or drive through may be open for that...just no regular sit down.

Illinois has done the same.