Coronavirus

Reacher

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

All due respect to the many teachers on here. This is a pathetic move in my opinion. Tons of professions have far more risk involved and they roll with it. My sister is a professor. My uncle is as well. These types of moves piss more people off in the profession. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

All due respect to the many teachers on here. This is a pathetic move in my opinion. Tons of professions have far more risk involved and they roll with it. My sister is a professor. My uncle is as well. These types of moves piss more people off in the profession. 

It's the teachers union that's poisoned their minds.  They are these poor oppressed people making solid middle class salaries with amazing benefits.  Oh and they only work 1 out of 2 days and can never be fired. 

53 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

It's the teachers union that's poisoned their minds.  They are these poor oppressed people making solid middle class salaries with amazing benefits.  Oh and they only work 1 out of 2 days and can never be fired. 

Benefits not amazing for me.  I refuse to join the union though and agree with all you said, other than the benefits in my particular case. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

We have two teachers we have known for years. Two different school districts.  One... retired upon hearing she would be required to appear in classes.  The other is very upset that she has to teach on line.  Neither is young.

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm a teacher and I am LIVID about this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm a teacher and I am LIVID about this.

Most union members toe the union line. And we all know who controls the unions. But they represent a minority.  Of the few teachers I know, one being my best friend from high school who teaches history and is head football coach at a big school in Clarksville, TN, most want to teach in class and play ball. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Most union members toe the union line. And we all know who controls the unions. But they represent a minority.  Of the few teachers I know, one being my best friend from high school who teaches history and is head football coach at a big school in Clarksville, TN, most want to teach in class and play ball. 

Correct. 

Not saying we've beat this thing or that it's time to take the masks off, but the 7 day moving average of cases in the U.S. is down over 20,000 since July 25th.  That has to be good news regardless of your position otherwise.

July 25th - 69,328 seven day moving average

August 18th - 49,284 seven day moving average

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Not saying we've beat this thing or that it's time to take the masks off, but the 7 day moving average of cases in the U.S. is down over 20,000 since July 25th.  That has to be good news regardless of your position otherwise.

July 25th - 69,328 seven day moving average

August 18th - 49,284 seven day moving average

What does moving avg mean

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

What does moving avg mean

It's most easily explained comparing it to a 'normal' average.  Whereas a normal average uses the raw number for each of the last 7 days, the moving average takes the result of the raw average of the last seven days and then averages that.  So, basically, an average of an average. 

At least, that's the way I understand it.    

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It's most easily explained comparing it to a 'normal' average.  Whereas a normal average uses the raw number for each of the last 7 days, the moving average takes the result of the raw average of the last seven days and then averages that.  So, basically, an average of an average. 

At least, that's the way I understand it.    

thank you 

3 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Here’s a new twist to the effects of this C.... Because we have had a difficult time getting people back to work, it seems new employees are getting more pay than others who have been here?? So imagine disgruntled employees quitting?

Can't speak to your specific example but I'll add this. The powers at be are lucky this pandemic is still going on because when the world does return to normal we'll experience job loss/reduction that we haven't experienced in years if not decades. I work in healthcare. The numbers I keep seeing is minimally 20-30% across the board....and that's just in staff positions like nurses/therapists. 

Many friends in upper level corporate positions keep saying the same. Productivity has remained the same so why do we need all these layers upon layers of staff, lower level management,etc....not to mention what's going to happen to the commercial real estate market nationally. People always make the mistake of thinking the markets are a reflection of the economy. 

I don't look forward to the job part of this mess when we do get to the other side. With my speech over...time to hit the course. Man I love these Covid schedules.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Saw a report on local tv, today.  Community college enrollments in the Denver metro area are drastically down.  Danged pandemic !

About the only thing holding steady...is hands on training.  Like auto mechanics.

To be honest, if I was going to be a Freshman and going away to college I'd probably take a year off, work and then go back the following year. Why pay for room and board is there's a good chance all your classes are going to be virtual? And an added bonus, you then turn 21 your sophmore year! haha. 

Edited by tdhoosier

50 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

To be honest, if I was going to be a Freshman and going away to college I'd probably take a year off, work and then go back the following year. Why pay for room and board is there's a good chance all your classes are going to be virtual? And an added bonus, you then turn 21 your sophmore year! haha. 

I really feel badly for young people who are losing out due to the pandemic.  Attending Indiana University were some of the best days of my young life.  Never... ever, did I regret a day at IU.

Darned pandemic !

• Like 1

Was speaking to a former co-worker. Her daughter started her first day of high school last week at an IN school. When she went to lunch, she didn't see anyone she knew, so she just sat down at a table with some other girls. A few days later, the former co-worker got a call from the school that one of the girls at the table is positive for COVID. Former co-worker's family is now quarantined at home for 14 days. How is this even manageable?

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Can't speak to your specific example but I'll add this. The powers at be are lucky this pandemic is still going on because when the world does return to normal we'll experience job loss/reduction that we haven't experienced in years if not decades. I work in healthcare. The numbers I keep seeing is minimally 20-30% across the board....and that's just in staff positions like nurses/therapists. 

Many friends in upper level corporate positions keep saying the same. Productivity has remained the same so why do we need all these layers upon layers of staff, lower level management,etc....not to mention what's going to happen to the commercial real estate market nationally. People always make the mistake of thinking the markets are a reflection of the economy. 

I don't look forward to the job part of this mess when we do get to the other side. With my speech over...time to hit the course. Man I love these Covid schedules.

I keep waiting for the other economic shoe to drop. In our hospitals, routine care and surgeries have not returned to normal level. We are under tremendous budget restrictions for the foreseeable future, but am not hearing about layoffs or job losses yet.

Commercial real estate is going to be a bloodbath at some point.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I keep waiting for the other economic shoe to drop. In our hospitals, routine care and surgeries have not returned to normal level. We are under tremendous budget restrictions for the foreseeable future, but am not hearing about layoffs or job losses yet.

Commercial real estate is going to be a bloodbath at some point.

Residential mortgage delinquencies are the highest in 21yrs too. I think 8.3% was the number.

I expect to be buying stock on sale pretty soon. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Was speaking to a former co-worker. Her daughter started her first day of high school last week at an IN school. When she went to lunch, she didn't see anyone she knew, so she just sat down at a table with some other girls. A few days later, the former co-worker got a call from the school that one of the girls at the table is positive for COVID. Former co-worker's family is now quarantined at home for 14 days. How is this even manageable?

The entire family should not have to be in quarantine unless the daughter herself has tested positive or is showing symptoms.  Otherwise, it's a never ending contact tracing event.  

Edit:  Yes, the daughter should quarantine, but mom, dad, and siblings only need to if she is positive or has symptoms.

Edited by 5fouls

25 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Residential mortgage delinquencies are the highest in 21yrs too. I think 8.3% was the number.

I expect to be buying stock on sale pretty soon. 

Greatest stock buying period of our lives was around March 23rd. I'm sure they'll be another but not at those levels. Apple, Penn National, Mercadolibre, Beyond Meat are just a few I rolled with. Shoot even standard equity based mutual funds returned 50-60% from March 23rd to now....tons of people getting filthy out there. 

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 1

Okay.  Maybe it's been there for a while and I just haven't noticed.  But, I have this App on my Android that must have come through with a recent update.  It's called 'Covid 19 Exposure Notifications'.  Is this something the phone companies have done that is common knowledge and I'm just been living in a cave?   It's currently showing turned off, and I'm assuming I want to leave it that way. I'm assuming I-Phones have something similar.  

Anyone know anything about this App?  What's it's purpose, beyond the obvious tease in the title?

Edited by 5fouls