Coronavirus

Reacher

From my congressman...

The following contains excerpts from this FOX59 article.

You may want to head to your favorite restaurants this weekend.

A new survey from the Indiana Restaurant and Lodging Association (InRLA) says more than 41% of Indiana restaurants believe they will close in the next six months if restrictions remain the same.

"We are forecasting a harder six months moving forward than the previous six,” said InRLA President and CEO Patrick Tamm. “You realize even if you see places busy, we are operating with one hand or two hands tied behind our back."

"If things continue on the path they are on, not looking good,” said Eric Young, the vice president of Action Enterprising, which runs the Rooftop Bar in Fountain Square along with Imbibe bar. “I think there’s a very real possibility we pack it up and call the dream dead."

The state hospitality industry saw a boost in July thanks to bonuses to the federal unemployment rate, but once those stopped, InRLA says sales began dropping again in August. While bars and restaurants have been able to acquire paycheck protection program (PPP) loans, some hot spots admit the cash was not enough to break even. As locations with outdoor seating begin to close their patios for winter, the poor projections are only expected to get worse.

"Could they potentially take care of their balcony or their patio? Sure, but that incurs cash which many and most do not have right now,” said Tamm on places heating or covering their patios and balconies.

"This is the one revenue center that is kind of pulling its weight,” said Young of the seasonal outdoor Rooftop Bar that will close in a month when it gets colder. “It was tough under normal times to make a profit, and now we have to limit our business, and limit our business hours."

While the projections remain extremely treacherous for local restaurants in the coming months, InRLA says the state is actually doing better than most states in the country. That figure only further explains just how bleak the situation is everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Inequality said:

Both sides need to step back and reflect.  Using a taser on someone not wearing a mask is ridiculous, for sure.  But, so is not following the mask mandate.  Whether you agree with it or not, it's the law right now.  If you don't feel you can abide by that rule, as a parent, tell your child why expressing your 'rights' are more important to you than watching him play football.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Inequality said:

They should have asked her to comply...If she didn't, ask her to leave...if she wouldn't, stop the game until she did...If she still wouldn't leave, have the side her son played on forfeit the game...

There was no need for tasers or arrests...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Another issue that comes up here is the uneven application of justice. Why are some people / places the subject of enforcement when it always seems there are much more egregious examples that get a pass?

When Indiana made its mask mandate, my towns mayor came out immediately and said he would not enforce it and put officers and businesses in the position to enforce it. So no bs here. 

Ever since the mandate started it keeps getting extended, just 2 more weeks every couple weeks. Yet no noticable effect on numbers. 

• Like 1

I got into a rather long discussion with a friend about wearing masks. He is so offended by having to and plans to boycott everywhere etc... I told him once upon a time you could walk into a store with no shirt on and it was no big deal, told him once upon a time people could smoke just about anywhere, once upon a time I used to poop my diaper everyday but I got smart and realized just because you can does not mean its what you should do. I just don't get why people feel such infringed upon for having to wear a mask. I would love to walk into a restaurant  with no shoes, no shirts and hey why not no pants but the sign that say NO SERVICE keeps me from doing it. Just put the mask on appease all of us crazies and lets get past this. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good article here (with data on excess deaths by country)- https://www.ft.com/content/a2901ce8-5eb7-4633-b89c-cbdf5b386938  Tracker (by state and country) here- https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-chart/?areas=usa&areasRegional=usny&areasRegional=usca&areasRegional=usfl&areasRegional=ustx&byDate=0&cumulative=0&logScale=1&perMillion=0&values=deaths

CO doing well at 3 deaths/ day, IN at 10, IL and AZ around 23, TX and FL around 100 (TX peaked at 278).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

When Indiana made its mask mandate, my towns mayor came out immediately and said he would not enforce it and put officers and businesses in the position to enforce it. So no bs here. 

Ever since the mandate started it keeps getting extended, just 2 more weeks every couple weeks. Yet no noticable effect on numbers. 

I'm guessing there's no noticeable effect on numbers here (in Indiana) because of the very reason you stated above....it's not being enforced or a high percentage of the population is not adhering to the mandate. You can't prevent venereal disease in a sexual active nursing home if only half of the residents always use protection, 25% sometimes use protection, 15% rarely use protection and 10% never use protection . Sorry to put that image in your heads. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I'm guessing there's no noticeable effect on numbers here (in Indiana) because of the very reason you stated above....it's not being enforced or a high percentage of the population is not adhering to the mandate. You can't prevent venereal disease in a sexual active nursing home if only half of the residents always use protection, 25% sometimes use protection, 15% rarely use protection and 10% never use protection . Sorry to put that image in your heads. 

When I was stationed in Greenland, when the condom shelves were overstocked, the BX manager would go to the NCO Club and start a "VD has hit the island" rumor...

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

My wife and I went to lunch at a place called "Sharkey's" in Kingwood yesterday. Here was the sign at the door...glad to see some still have a sense of humor in this mess...

PXL_20200925_194839081.jpg

Someone will call their bet at some point.  And, whoever does it is probably not someone that the other patrons will want to see that way.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Someone will call their bet at some point.  And, whoever does it is probably not someone that the other patrons will want to see that way.  

Undoubtedly...

It was packed and the only people younger than my wife and me was the wait staff...

Discussion on types of immunity- https://sebastianrushworth.com/2020/09/28/herd-immunity-without-antibodies/  The fact that only 21% of NY has antibodies (https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32009-2/fulltext) but their #s are low like Sweden suggest a high % w antibodies is not needed for herd immunity.

Edited by Reacher