Coronavirus

Reacher

6 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Tail between my legs right now. You are right @IUFLA , I read through your initial conclusion too quickly and carelessly. For some reason, in my head I thought you wrote 'stay the course'. Still a nautical term but completely different, which prompted my response. I apologize for that. A little embarrassed too.

Very kind of you to re-read what I wrote, but no need to apologize to me at all...

And I DO understand the frustration. It IS frustrating that we can't carry on a normal life. As I said, I do all of the little things that I can personally, although I will cop to the fact that we probably go out more than we should (3 or 4 times a week) to eat (and my rationalization there is it's for our mental well being, and we do go out later, always after 8:30 when the crowds have thinned out).

I also think that there's plenty of common ground outside of the COVID conversation that we can find to eliminate other problems our country has. At times I wonder if the philosophical fissure is too wide for us to recover from. Government gridlock can be a dangerous thing.

I've promised myself that I will no longer vote for any candidate who is not willing to work across the aisle. This needs to stop. These people ALL work for us, or are at least supposed to. Infrastructure, the eventual transition to renewable fuels, reforming immigration, and creating opportunities for all Americans should be the goals.

It'll take compromise, but that's in the job description as far as I'm concerned...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Very kind of you to re-read what I wrote, but no need to apologize to me at all...

And I DO understand the frustration. It IS frustrating that we can't carry on a normal life. As I said, I do all of the little things that I can personally, although I will cop to the fact that we probably go out more than we should (3 or 4 times a week) to eat (and my rationalization there is it's for our mental well being, and we do go out later, always after 8:30 when the crowds have thinned out).

I also think that there's plenty of common ground outside of the COVID conversation that we can find to eliminate other problems our country has. At times I wonder if the philosophical fissure is too wide for us to recover from. Government gridlock can be a dangerous thing.

I've promised myself that I will no longer vote for any candidate who is not willing to work across the aisle. This needs to stop. These people ALL work for us, or are at least supposed to. Infrastructure, the eventual transition to renewable fuels, reforming immigration, and creating opportunities for all Americans should be the goals.

It'll take compromise, but that's in the job description as far as I'm concerned...

Well said.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm with you there brother. 

• Like 1

I will just say two things. 

One.... this pandemic is putting a lot of stress on all of us.

Two.... this is a very important.... non sports related thread. Again express your thoughts, by playing by our simple board rules.

And, oh by the way... our local Walmart and grocery store are increasing the amount of customers they are allowing into their stores.   More stress on the mile family... as we continue to shop for essentials.

5 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Moderna vaccine is 94.5% effective. 

I like that it doesn't have to be stored at such a cold temperature.  It is supposed to last 30 days in a normal refrigerator.  That was a major concern I had about the Pfizer vaccine.  Distribution of that would be a nightmare for our country, let alone some countries in different parts of the world.

Also, how will distribution work?  Will someone decide on 1 vaccine that "wins" and then that will be the only option, or will there be competing vaccines that make it to market?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I like that it doesn't have to be stored at such a cold temperature.  It is supposed to last 30 days in a normal refrigerator.  That was a major concern I had about the Pfizer vaccine.  Distribution of that would be a nightmare for our country, let alone some countries in different parts of the world.

Also, how will distribution work?  Will someone decide on 1 vaccine that "wins" and then that will be the only option, or will there be competing vaccines that make it to market?

I heard they are going to use as many vaccines as possible, that are cleared by FDA. 

• Thanks 1

My wife who is a healthcare worker tested positive this morning. I was tested Saturday after having symptoms for a few days. Should get results today or tomorrow.

My symptoms seem to be flu like. We are now quarantined for a couple weeks. Thanksgiving is down the drain. 

Update: I also tested positive. I believe I was exposed last week by my niece when we were in our way to see my brother before he passed. She tested positive a couple days after we got home.

Edited by jefftheref
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

My wife who is a healthcare worker tested positive this morning. I was tested Saturday after having symptoms for a few days. Should get results today or tomorrow.

My symptoms seem to be flu like. We are now quarantined for a couple weeks. Thanksgiving is down the drain. 

Prayers for both of you.

4 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Prayers for your family

6 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Prayers for you and your wife, @jefftheref

9 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

🙏🙏

Get well Jeff!

2 hours ago, jefftheref said:

Best wishes to you both for a speedy and uneventful recovery

3 hours ago, jefftheref said:

Well damn, this is the last thing you want to see on this thread. Jeff, I hope you and your wife recover quickly. And also my salute to her as a health care worker. 

Also, want to acknowledge a couple of recent posts. First @IUFLA, totally respect your posts and think of you as a friend also. We can disagree and still get along. Also want to mention that @mrflynn03 and I are as far away as possible on the political spectrum, but I think he and I both let our emotions get the best of us on this thread sometimes. 

• Like 2

We have discussed mental health in this thread multiple times. 

I suffer from OCD. Not as bad as others but it is exhausting.  I don't deal with change well and this year has been a roller coaster for me. I've talked to some in pm about it  but OCD leads to other problems and I have just been angry.

So again, I want to apologize if I've upset anyone.  I'm operating with a clouded headspace. 

Please, I ask you take care of your mind. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

We have discussed mental health in this thread multiple times. 

I suffer from OCD. Not as bad as others but it is exhausting.  I don't deal with change well and this year has been a roller coaster for me. I've talked to some in pm about it  but OCD leads to other problems and I have just been angry.

So again, I want to apologize if I've upset anyone.  I'm operating with a clouded headspace. 

Please, I ask you take care of your mind. 

I know being out of work since April it has been tough mentally.  It was not bad at first because my unemployment was higher than what I actually made working.  Also with the weather being nice it made it easier because I could go outside and walk. Now with weather getting worse and my unemployment.is a lot lower it is tougher.  Actually my regular unemployment ran out this week but have signed up for an extension.

Edited by IU Scott

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know being out of work since April it has been tough mentally.  It was not bad at first because my unemployment was higher than what I actually made working.  Also with the weather being nice it made it easier because I could go outside and walk. Now with weather getting worse and my unemployment.is a lot lower it is tougher.  Actually my regular unemployment ran out this week but have signed up for an extension.

I've been fortunate financially but before corona hit had a promising job interview at a pharmaceutical company in Bloomington.  More money, shorter commute. Then covid hit.

Now, I just feel trapped.  I apply and its wait and see. Nobody in my industry is hiring from the outside.  

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

I've been fortunate financially but before corona hit had a promising job interview at a pharmaceutical company in Bloomington.  More money, shorter commute. Then covid hit.

Now, I just feel trapped.  I apply and its wait and see. Nobody in my industry is hiring from the outside.  

I have probably applied for over 150 jobs and had 6 interviews.  One I thought I had a good chance at has decided not to hire another person due to peak in the virus

• Sad 1