Coronavirus

Reacher

50 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Hope all is well with your son and your family. Same with @jefftherefand anyone else who is dealing with all of this on a personal level.

People on here have been talking about anxiety and stress...and I have been dealing with all of that these past months. I often think of @Billingsley99 and his son as well and hope he is safe. Our 6 year old had surgery at Peyton Manning last month and it has me freaked out beyond comprehension that he could get COVID on top of other stuff he has had to deal with the past year or so. I realize that kids have been less affected than adults with all of this, but it scares the sh@# out  of me that it could potentially put my kids in danger. I'm personally tired of all the political BS...ALL of our elected politicians need to be working diligently to try to make things as safe as possible and hopefully get this (these) vaccines out ASAP to prevent more people from getting sick and potentially dying. I really hope that 2021 is a much better year and that all of HSN community and their family and friends stay safe and healthy during these times. I can't stress enough how badly I hope these vaccines are effective and things can get back to somewhat normal soon.

I definitely understand all of your concerns. First and foremost I hope you son is doing well. I completely get where you are coming from. Ayden has to have blood work done every month and I hate taking him in there and exposing him. I haven't said anything on here about this but my 24 year old daughter tested positive and was quarantined for a total of 16 days. She works in a cancer unit and was exposed to several patients that were positive. She is better now but we were with her for a few minutes on Halloween when we dropped off her Puppy his halloween gifts. It has been a stressful couple of weeks but Ayden is doing great and did not show any symptoms. I just hope and pray 2021 is better this is taking its toll on this guy. I am aging way to fast. 

11 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I definitely understand all of your concerns. First and foremost I hope you son is doing well. I completely get where you are coming from. Ayden has to have blood work done every month and I hate taking him in there and exposing him. I haven't said anything on here about this but my 24 year old daughter tested positive and was quarantined for a total of 16 days. She works in a cancer unit and was exposed to several patients that were positive. She is better now but we were with her for a few minutes on Halloween when we dropped off her Puppy his halloween gifts. It has been a stressful couple of weeks but Ayden is doing great and did not show any symptoms. I just hope and pray 2021 is better this is taking its toll on this guy. I am aging way to fast. 

That sucks Ayden has to get bloodwork every month...my son had to have a couple blood draws and it was tough...I can't even imagine doing it every month. He is doing well now...but he needs a blood draw in near future. I hope all is well with him and your daughter is doing well. A friend of mine is a nurse and he is just coming out of his illness/quarantine. We texted a few days ago and he said he was "nasty sick" last week. He works on front lines as well. I feel bad for all the front line/medical health care professionals during this pandemic. Hang in there...we are both aging way to fast...my friend just commented on how my hair line is receding at exponential rates lately.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FritzIam4IU said:

That sucks Ayden has to get bloodwork every month...my son had to have a couple blood draws and it was tough...I can't even imagine doing it every month. He is doing well now...but he needs a blood draw in near future. I hope all is well with him and your daughter is doing well. A friend of mine is a nurse and he is just coming out of his illness/quarantine. We texted a few days ago and he said he was "nasty sick" last week. He works on front lines as well. I feel bad for all the front line/medical health care professionals during this pandemic. Hang in there...we are both aging way to fast...my friend just commented on how my hair line is receding at exponential rates lately.

Unfortunately Ayden is so used to it.  Which is good and bad. My oldest son was with my daughter for a whole day a couple days before she tested positive and he is still in quarantine because his test came back negative. His total days until he can return to campus is 24

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Hope all is well with your son and your family. Same with @jefftherefand anyone else who is dealing with all of this on a personal level.

People on here have been talking about anxiety and stress...and I have been dealing with all of that these past months. I often think of @Billingsley99 and his son as well and hope he is safe. Our 6 year old had surgery at Peyton Manning last month and it has me freaked out beyond comprehension that he could get COVID on top of other stuff he has had to deal with the past year or so. I realize that kids have been less affected than adults with all of this, but it scares the sh@# out  of me that it could potentially put my kids in danger. I'm personally tired of all the political BS...ALL of our elected politicians need to be working diligently to try to make things as safe as possible and hopefully get this (these) vaccines out ASAP to prevent more people from getting sick and potentially dying. I really hope that 2021 is a much better year and that all of HSN community and their family and friends stay safe and healthy during these times. I can't stress enough how badly I hope these vaccines are effective and things can get back to somewhat normal soon.

Prayers and good thoughts to your son and whole family...

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Unfortunately Ayden is so used to it.  Which is good and bad. My oldest son was with my daughter for a whole day a couple days before she tested positive and he is still in quarantine because his test came back negative. His total days until he can return to campus is 24

I hope your son does not test positive and your daughter is back to 100%. Always wishing the best for Ayden. He sounds like a trooper.

Just to add insult to injury...my four year old daughter broke out in hives/rashes all a couple weeks after sons surgery...we ended up taking her to local ER at 10:30 at night because her lips were swelling even after taking benadryl. She ended up needing a shot and was released and a few days later her hives were gone...but they didn't know why she had allergic reaction...we didn't change anything that we could think of to trigger a reaction. Crazy. She is fine though...they just gave us a prescription for an epi pen in case of another bad breakout. Is it 2021 yet?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I hope your son does not test positive and your daughter is back to 100%. Always wishing the best for Ayden. He sounds like a trooper.

Just to add insult to injury...my four year old daughter broke out in hives/rashes all a couple weeks after sons surgery...we ended up taking her to local ER at 10:30 at night because her lips were swelling even after taking benadryl. She ended up needing a shot and was released and a few days later her hives were gone...but they didn't know why she had allergic reaction...we didn't change anything that we could think of to trigger a reaction. Crazy. She is fine though...they just gave us a prescription for an epi pen in case of another bad breakout. Is it 2021 yet?

It just seems to never stop. Glad to hear both are doing well. Thanks for the well wishes. 

• Like 1

Just now, FritzIam4IU said:

You too...Don't worry...I think we are close in age...we can grow gray and lose our hair together...maybe start a trend.

Sounds like a plan. I am going gray, luckily not losing much but its a great thing that I can't fly right now because the bags under each eye would need to be checked before I could board. Too big for carry on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Interesting study of Marine recruits published in the NEJM- https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2029717

Marines were picked because of their propensity to follow orders and the control group had a slightly lower % of positive cases than the group that was locked down, socially distancing and wearing masks. Doesn't seem possible. Good news is that almost all were asymptomatic and there were no serious cases reinforcing that young healthy people don't seem to be in danger. 

This reinforces the studies, and people like Dr Fauci who previously said, masks do not help. Look like the virus will spread either way. 

6 hours ago, Reacher said:

Interesting study of Marine recruits published in the NEJM- https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2029717

Marines were picked because of their propensity to follow orders and the control group had a slightly lower % of positive cases than the group that was locked down, socially distancing and wearing masks. Doesn't seem possible. Good news is that almost all were asymptomatic and there were no serious cases reinforcing that young healthy people don't seem to be in danger. 

This reinforces the studies, and people like Dr Fauci who previously said, masks do not help. Look like the virus will spread either way. 

I'm starting to believe that's the case.  He also said from the get go people don't have the discipline to wear or care for them properly and that may actually make things worse.  Go watch people in public.  Or think about it yourself, next time you wear your mask.  How many times do you adjust it, now touching your face?  Did you used to touch your face 9 times while in the grocery?  Not likely unless you were really itchy.  Marines also can't touch their face while in formation.  

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

This is the second published study I've seen this week on Mask wearing. Very comparable to the Marine study.

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-6817

We had a good laugh about this one in our faculty meeting this morning.

From the study: “The findings, however, should not be used to conclude that a recommendation for everyone to wear masks in the community would not be effective in reducing SARS-CoV-2 infections, because the trial did not test the role of masks in source control of SARS-CoV-2 infection. During the study period, authorities did not recommend face mask use outside hospital settings and mask use was rare in community settings (22). This means that study participants' exposure was overwhelmingly to persons not wearing masks.”

• Thanks 1

A good article about mask studies i read a while back: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02801-8

There are a lot of mask studies that measure many factors. And many of the factors are not as controllable as studies would lead you to believe. Human behavior is a wildcard.  In many cases, a study is a puzzle piece. You can't just look at the puzzle piece; you need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. A completed section of the puzzle (many studies)....if you will. America has already shown they like to pick and choose one or two studies that support their beliefs and play scientist on the internet, so forgive me if I take opinions with a grain of salt these days. 

'Scientific consensus' is not an accurate term I'd use in the infancy of mask studies. However, I will listen to what a majority of reputable scientists, health departments and medical associations believe (like the CDC, HHS, WHO, county health departments, AHA, AMA, ANA etc.), given the information they have. All that said, I will continue to wear a mask and urge others to do so as well. No conclusive data has come out on either side, but it seems there is strong belief they help from people who are a lot smarter than I. Even if they're wrong I don't have anything to lose except some minor chafing behind the ears.....I do have a lot more to gain though.

At the risk of being called Fancy Pants again, which was a first for me, we had a Q&A with Rick Bright today. He was really into the granular details of COVID, our response, and the vaccines. When we asked about PPE shortages, he covered that well by saying that yes we will run into shortages when it comes to administering the vaccine. Not just gowns and masks, but crazy stuff like sand. Yes, sand. 

He detailed how many vials are needed for these vaccines for how many millions of people and then talked us through what type of sand you need to make these vials. You can’t just go the beach and grab a bunch of sand. It has to be medical grade. Dude was totally in charge of the annoying minor details you need to consider to pull off a vaccination effort for the entire US. 

Highlights were when she said he would absolutely not take a vaccine from China or Russia right now. He does say that he has high confidence in current US vaccines, but would still like to see more data. Also mentioned that he is worried about later stage human trials for vaccines, b/c people will not want to risk being in the placebo group. Already have people in the early trials that are upset about not being in the vaccine group. 

He ended with some questions about young doctors going into government service and said that it’s the best thing you can do if you want to help others. He was very positive about his experience in the White House and had no regrets about serving on the new admin’s COVID team. Just seemed like a stand up guy with encyclopedic knowledge of the issues facing us. I’m sure he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way by bringing up these important details, but if I’m the boss I want someone on my team who is thinking of these things. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

At the risk of being called Fancy Pants again, which was a first for me, we had a Q&A with Rick Bright today. He was really into the granular details of COVID, our response, and the vaccines. When we asked about PPE shortages, he covered that well by saying that yes we will run into shortages when it comes to administering the vaccine. Not just gowns and masks, but crazy stuff like sand. Yes, sand. 

He detailed how many vials are needed for these vaccines for how many millions of people and then talked us through what type of sand you need to make these vials. You can’t just go the beach and grab a bunch of sand. It has to be medical grade. Dude was totally in charge of the annoying minor details you need to consider to pull off a vaccination effort for the entire US. 

Highlights were when she said he would absolutely not take a vaccine from China or Russia right now. He does say that he has high confidence in current US vaccines, but would still like to see more data. Also mentioned that he is worried about later stage human trials for vaccines, b/c people will not want to risk being in the placebo group. Already have people in the early trials that are upset about not being in the vaccine group. 

He ended with some questions about young doctors going into government service and said that it’s the best thing you can do if you want to help others. He was very positive about his experience in the White House and had no regrets about serving on the new admin’s COVID team. Just seemed like a stand up guy with encyclopedic knowledge of the issues facing us. I’m sure he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way by bringing up these important details, but if I’m the boss I want someone on my team who is thinking of these things. 

...Fancy pants

So fancy I can't tell if you chose the word 'granular' as a pun for your following point. 

Edited by tdhoosier