Coronavirus

Reacher

3 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

We had a good laugh about this one in our faculty meeting this morning.

From the study: “The findings, however, should not be used to conclude that a recommendation for everyone to wear masks in the community would not be effective in reducing SARS-CoV-2 infections, because the trial did not test the role of masks in source control of SARS-CoV-2 infection. During the study period, authorities did not recommend face mask use outside hospital settings and mask use was rare in community settings (22). This means that study participants' exposure was overwhelmingly to persons not wearing masks.”

They did report-

"Our results suggest that the recommendation to wear a surgical mask when outside the home among others did not reduce, at conventional levels of statistical significance, the incidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection in mask wearers in a setting where social distancing and other public health measures were in effect, mask recommendations were not among those measures, and community use of masks was uncommon."

Might that not be worth further investigation?

28 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

At the risk of being called Fancy Pants again, which was a first for me, we had a Q&A with Rick Bright today. He was really into the granular details of COVID, our response, and the vaccines. When we asked about PPE shortages, he covered that well by saying that yes we will run into shortages when it comes to administering the vaccine. Not just gowns and masks, but crazy stuff like sand. Yes, sand. 

He detailed how many vials are needed for these vaccines for how many millions of people and then talked us through what type of sand you need to make these vials. You can’t just go the beach and grab a bunch of sand. It has to be medical grade. Dude was totally in charge of the annoying minor details you need to consider to pull off a vaccination effort for the entire US. 

Highlights were when she said he would absolutely not take a vaccine from China or Russia right now. He does say that he has high confidence in current US vaccines, but would still like to see more data. Also mentioned that he is worried about later stage human trials for vaccines, b/c people will not want to risk being in the placebo group. Already have people in the early trials that are upset about not being in the vaccine group. 

He ended with some questions about young doctors going into government service and said that it’s the best thing you can do if you want to help others. He was very positive about his experience in the White House and had no regrets about serving on the new admin’s COVID team. Just seemed like a stand up guy with encyclopedic knowledge of the issues facing us. I’m sure he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way by bringing up these important details, but if I’m the boss I want someone on my team who is thinking of these things. 

Please keep sharing. You make me sound brilliant at the poker table each Monday night. Haha....and by the way it doesn't surprise me one bit on the sand part. Very quick diversion from this thread...the Masters basically mines and harbors their very specific sand.

https://project543.visitnc.com/spruce-pine-masters/

19 minutes ago, Reacher said:

They did report-

"Our results suggest that the recommendation to wear a surgical mask when outside the home among others did not reduce, at conventional levels of statistical significance, the incidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection in mask wearers in a setting where social distancing and other public health measures were in effect, mask recommendations were not among those measures, and community use of masks was uncommon."

I just can’t get over the fact how/why lawyers and scientific studies get a pass on using run on sentences like this. It makes my eyes dizzy.

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Reacher said:

They did report-

They did, but the people embracing this study aren’t reading it critically or even closely.. I really don’t mean to be a dick here, but I’m tired of people trying to prove that you (or the ones you love) are better off w/o masks during a worldwide pandemic. It kind of lessens the benefit if you wear a mask, and everyone around you is too stupid, insecure, or proud to get the message. This isn’t hard. 

We all come from different backgrounds and live in different geographical areas, but it seems like we a have all begrudgingly adopted mask wearing to protect those around us. These “studies” just give selfish people ammunition to be selfish. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Please keep sharing. You make me sound brilliant at the poker table each Monday night. Haha....and by the way it doesn't surprise me one bit on the sand part. Very quick diversion from this thread...the Masters basically mines and harbors their very specific sand.

https://project543.visitnc.com/spruce-pine-masters/

It’s crazy! I’ve never even thought of stuff like that, but thank god someone smarter than we are is thinking about things like this. And yes, I’m sure they have studied how different sands have different impact on golf balls. You and I are like, “Whut?” 

We don’t have any other heavy hitters scheduled in the next month or so, but I will always share with my adopted Hoosier family if we do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

Got to thinking today, a proper mask will render facial recognition software useless.  So in the future, if you see someone walking around looking like chewbacca, it's probably me. 

Found that out the first time I tried to unlock my phone with FR after this goat rope started...

The sacrifices I make...

😉

• Like 3

Just now, Lostin76 said:

They did, but the people embracing this study aren’t reading it critically or even closely.. I really don’t mean to be a dick here, but I’m tired of people trying to prove that you (or the ones you love) are better off w/o masks during a worldwide pandemic. It kind of lessens the benefit if you wear a mask, and everyone around you is too stupid, insecure, or proud to get the message. This isn’t hard. 

We all come from different backgrounds and live in different geographical areas, but it seems like we a have all begrudgingly adopted mask wearing to protect those around us. These “studies” just give selfish people ammunition to be selfish. 

I actually read the study. And do wear a mask. I'm not trying to prove anything except bring some relevant info to the board for people to make their own decisions.  Around me, masks have been universal for months. Its apparent to me there isn't much science out there on many of these issues. I tried to find a study showing that restaurants were a source of the spread and couldn't find any. A few anecdotal stories was it. This country is killing an entire industry based on what science? Remember, the WHO, CDC, etc all said at one point mask wearing was of little to no value. From what this non fancy pants can tell, it seems there is science on both sides of the mask issue with much to be learned. 

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I order so much junk on Amazon, I'll probably get a Christmas card from Bezos...

My wife has been ordering everything from groceries to random crap online for months. I have frickin cardboard everywhere. I cant recycle it fast enough. 

Bezos will just raise my prime rate. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

My wife has been ordering everything from groceries to random crap online for months. I have frickin cardboard everywhere. I cant recycle it fast enough. 

Bezos will just raise my prime rate. 

Garbage day is Wednesday in my hood. Just brought it back in and filled it up halfway already with broken down boxes cardboard. I'd go find an apartment complex dumpster somewhere if I didn't think it could be traced back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We don't have an office in the house.  I'm working at the kitchen table.  My wife at the dining room table.  There is a bathroom in between the two rooms.  I usually have the courtesy to go to another bathroom.  But, my wife likes the easy access.  So, if I'm on a Zoom call, I have to be strategic when I take myself on mute or everyone on the call gets to hear the toilet flush.

• Like 2

The deal, for me, on masks....

Do they work? Do they help? I say slightly, just my opinion. You can find plenty of studies to argue both sides. So it is what it is. I suspect it helps, but far from eliminates risk.

For me, it is more about social responsibility. An overlooked fallout from this pandemic is anxiety, depression, and a myriad of mental well being issues.

Wearing a mask gives people a sense of comfort. A sense of community. My wife suffers from major anxiety. It is so hard to watch what this is doing to her.

If we go grocery shopping and ONE person is not wearing a mask, she sprints to the car.

So, maybe wearing a mask helps reduce the spread. Maybe it gives a little sense of peace to a neighbor.

There is zero risk to wearing a mask,  beyond pride. 

There ARE proven benefits to wearing a mask,  my wife.

So I do not care what any study says in either direction. To me, it is doing the right thing for my small community.

(Sorry if typos are abound, typing quickly from my phone)

• Like 3

The retail places around here demand it. At the entrance of the New Caney Walmart, a polite lady checks everybody coming into the store. If you don't have your mask on, she asks you to don one...

Doesn't hurt that she's got another Walmart guy standing beside her who looks like the Missing Link...and I don't think he's there for window dressing...

Texas does have its charms...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

The retail places around here demand it. At the entrance of the New Caney Walmart, a polite lady checks everybody coming into the store. If you don't have your mask on, she asks you to don one...

Doesn't hurt that she's got another Walmart guy standing beside her who looks like the Missing Link...and I don't think he's there for window dressing...

@Hoosierhoopster part time gig?

Good for him!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

We don't have an office in the house.  I'm working at the kitchen table.  My wife at the dining room table.  There is a bathroom in between the two rooms.  I usually have the courtesy to go to another bathroom.  But, my wife likes the easy access.  So, if I'm on a Zoom call, I have to be strategic when I take myself on mute or everyone on the call gets to hear the toilet flush.

My wife has zoom hearings in Marion County criminal court each week. Feel bad for the folks in there but it's pure comedy hour hearing 20+ on same call not muting their phones or people in their places talking while the defendants are supposed to be answering questions. Strange times for sure.

31 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm fine with that approach. Hey idiot...put your mask on would be my approach during these times.

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

The deal, for me, on masks....

Do they work? Do they help? I say slightly, just my opinion. You can find plenty of studies to argue both sides. So it is what it is. I suspect it helps, but far from eliminates risk.

For me, it is more about social responsibility. An overlooked fallout from this pandemic is anxiety, depression, and a myriad of mental well being issues.

Wearing a mask gives people a sense of comfort. A sense of community. My wife suffers from major anxiety. It is so hard to watch what this is doing to her.

If we go grocery shopping and ONE person is not wearing a mask, she sprints to the car.

So, maybe wearing a mask helps reduce the spread. Maybe it gives a little sense of peace to a neighbor.

There is zero risk to wearing a mask,  beyond pride. 

There ARE proven benefits to wearing a mask,  my wife.

So I do not care what any study says in either direction. To me, it is doing the right thing for my small community.

(Sorry if typos are abound, typing quickly from my phone)

About the mask is that a lot of people don't wear or use them correctly.  I see a lot of people don't even cover their nose so ta tis a problem.