Coronavirus

Reacher

I'm still not sure if I'll get the vaccine right away or not. I think there are still a ton of questions that need to be answered about it. It worries me that we're basically taking the companies word for things at this point without much knowledge and review of the trials.

I also wonder what company policies will be on the vaccine. What is going to happen if/when companies start requiring the vaccine?

Question for the group.  Do you feel ongoing mask mandates will be predicated on what percentage of the population gets the vaccine?  I think it's a distinct possibility.  

I will be getting the vaccine.  I hope I don't have to continue to wear a mask afterwards, but I probably will.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm still not sure if I'll get the vaccine right away or not. I think there are still a ton of questions that need to be answered about it. It worries me that we're basically taking the companies word for things at this point without much knowledge and review of the trials.

I also wonder what company policies will be on the vaccine. What is going to happen if/when companies start requiring the vaccine?

Here is the policy of Cornell-

https://www.campusreform.org/article?id=16344

That seems wrong in so many ways. 

I spoke with my neighbor who works at the large suburban hospital near me. Covid hospitalizations are declining there. 9 of their 30 ventilators are in use. When I asked if they are admitting milder cases who previously wouldn't have been admitted he said they were. The philosophy is to let patients immune systems time to fight it off naturally and use ventilators as a last resort. Average stay is perhaps a week. 

Looks like there is some truth to what I brought to the board. Shocking, isn't it? Why don't the people who want to criticize do their own due diligence? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I spoke with my neighbor who works at the large suburban hospital near me. Covid hospitalizations are declining there. 9 of their 30 ventilators are in use. When I asked if they are admitting milder cases who previously wouldn't have been admitted he said they were. The philosophy is to let patients immune systems time to fight it off naturally and use ventilators as a last resort. Average stay is perhaps a week. 

Looks like there is some truth to what I brought to the board. Shocking, isn't it? Why don't the people who want to criticize do their own due diligence? 

I guess I don't get your point. Deaths are even with what they were at the peak this spring when we didn't know anything about the virus, and we're going to argue about a few extra people being admitted to hospitals as a safety precaution? 

59 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Question for the group.  Do you feel ongoing mask mandates will be predicated on what percentage of the population gets the vaccine?  I think it's a distinct possibility.  

I will be getting the vaccine.  I hope I don't have to continue to wear a mask afterwards, but I probably will.

Wearing a mask for me has become as routine  as putting on underwear. Only a couple times a week do I forget.

In all seriousness I can't imagine not wearing it. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I think it's a possibility too, but once the vaccine is rolled out I can also see people ignoring any mandate once they get the vaccine...

I'd urge retail places to keep the enforcement of masks in place...That seems to be more effective than any government action anyway...If you want to shop/dine here, you have to have a mask...

7 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I guess I don't get your point. Deaths are even with what they were at the peak this spring when we didn't know anything about the virus, and we're going to argue about a few extra people being admitted to hospitals as a safety precaution? 

I'm not arguing that at all. I brought up someone saying hospitals were admitting more marginal patients, and thereby benefitting financially. Not one person debated the issue but rather attacked me for not naming a source and assuming it was some right wing propaganda or some nonsense. 

Excess hospitalizations continues and exacerbates public fear and policy decisions. Just like overly sensitive tests creating false positives. All parts of the issues we should be cognizant about. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Wearing a mask for me has become as routine  as putting on underwear. Only a couple times a week do I forget.

In all seriousness I can't imagine not wearing it. 

But, given the option of wearing one because only 60% of the population got vaccinated versus not having to wear one because 95% of population got vaccinated, which would you choose?

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

But, given the option of wearing one because only 60% of the population got vaccinated versus not having to wear one because 95% of population got vaccinated, which would you choose?

All day everyday. We know that many will choose not to. I hate that it has become normal for me. I drove my wife's car to get gas this morning  for her before work and you have to go in to pay. Was still in my Jammies so no mask on me ran back home to get one. Wife said there are about 20 in glove box of each car. Including mine, how about that never knew she put them in there 

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

All day everyday. We know that many will choose not to. I hate that it has become normal for me. I drove my wife's car to get gas this morning  for her before work and you have to go in to pay. Was still in my Jammies so no mask on me ran back home to get one. Wife said there are about 20 in glove box of each car. Including mine, how about that never knew she put them in there 

That's where my wife keeps her stash. Along with latex gloves and antibacterial wipes. I'd hate to be a thief these days. Get a purse out of that glovebox? No, just more masks and wipes. Lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

I'm not arguing that at all. I brought up someone saying hospitals were admitting more marginal patients, and thereby benefitting financially. Not one person debated the issue but rather attacked me for not naming a source and assuming it was some right wing propaganda or some nonsense. 

Excess hospitalizations continues and exacerbates public fear and policy decisions. Just like overly sensitive tests creating false positives. All parts of the issues we should be cognizant about. 

Thanks for sharing that information.   😊  Have a great day.  🙄

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Thanks 1

Pfizer hopes to get its vaccine approved by the FDA Thursday. No doubt it is effective (95%). What hasn't got much attention are the the side effects. From the Pfizer disclosures-

The vaccine has been shown to elicit increased local and systemic adverse reactions as compared to those in the placebo arm, usually lasting a few days...

The most common solicited adverse reactions were injection site reactions (84.1%), fatigue (62.9%), headache (55.1%), muscle pain (38.3%), chills (31.9%), joint pain (23.6%), fever (14.2%)

Severe adverse reactions occurred in 0.0-4.6% of participants, were more frequent after Dose 2 than after Dose 1 and were generally less frequent in older adults (>55 years of age) (<2.8%) as compared to younger participants (≤4.6%). Among reported unsolicited adverse events, lymphadenopathy occurred much more frequently in the vaccine group than the placebo group and is plausibly related to vaccination.   

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

You didn't really choose one of the options I presented.  Yes, I will wear a mask until I don't need to.  That isn't my point.  My point is that the more people that get vaccinated, the quicker we can stop wearing masks.  But, my fear is that so many people will choose not to get vaccinated, the virus will still put up numbers that will require some level of mask mandate.  I would like to think I could be sitting in Assembly Hall next December without a mask on.  The best way for that to happen is for as many people as possible to get vaccinated.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You didn't really choose one of the options I presented.  Yes, I will wear a mask until I don't need to.  That isn't my point.  My point is that the more people that get vaccinated, the quicker we can stop wearing masks.  But, my fear is that so many people will choose not to get vaccinated, the virus will still put up numbers that will require some level of mask mandate.  I would like to think I could be sitting in Assembly Hall next December without a mask on.  The best way for that to happen is for as many people as possible to get vaccinated.  

I will wear a mask forever if that helps others stay safe. With Ayden underlying issues I can't take chances by not doing something as easy as putting on a mask.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It's a CBS news story.  Can we only link CBS stories that match a certain line of thinking?  

Come on Fouls stop. Stop trying to make this some BS censorship crap. Every single “story” Reacher links is to seek to minimize the Virus, mask-wearing, the level of hospitalizations, the level of deaths, etc. etc. etc. No one fails to see this continuing Schlick.