Coronavirus

Reacher

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

A thought crossed my mind that was somewhat in relation to this post. I was thinking that the Spanish Flu had to be tough to go through at that time compared to today just because of the technology. And then I was thinking, just imagine how much worse this would've been even 15 years ago. 

Things that we have or can do today that we couldn't 15 years ago. Working remotely was a thing, but not nearly as common. And for those who work at home they now have access to files and info via cloud based services. We didn't have the capabilities to do virtual learning. Kids didn't have chrome books. Not enough bandwidth to do video calls (to the degree we do them now). No shopping services like Insta Cart and Shipt for the compromised to use. Amazon and online shopping was in it's infancy. NO NETFLIX streaming (gasp). No HSN (double gasp). On the plus side social media wasn't as prevalent as it is today...perhaps we wouldn't be as divided. 

Sure we would've made it through, but I think the economical effects would have been much worse. 

Anyway, just a random thought that ran through my head that I thought was interesting. 

Good post and thoughts.  

I saw a Facebook post talking about how this is worse than the great depression, spanish flu, ww2, and others.  

I've had to bite my tongue.  We are so blessed, so fortunate, so comfortable, so unchallenged.  

The average annual worldwide deaths by starvation is 9 million.  Meanwhile 40% of the us is overweight.  

Dated in may.  Wonder what the current and future outlook is now? https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/05/850470436/u-n-warns-number-of-people-starving-to-death-could-double-amid-pandemic

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Doesn't surprise me at all. We are going to see the effects of this virus for a LONG time when it comes to education. I have a TOR list I'm responsible for... about 35 students. Half of them are failing over half their classes. Probably 6 of them are failing every single class. I bet 28 of my 35 students have at least one F. 

I can't count how many meetings I've had to try to convince students to stay in school. 

Another fresh perspective.  

I'll add my level of empathy for people has went way up lately.  One of my buddies mom, in her 60's, thankfully pulled out of 3 weeks on a respirator after her epilepsy and seizures worsened her Corona symptoms.  While on the vent it was discovered she had a stroke and now is unable to move the entire right side of her body.  Hopefully she can make a good recovery.  I will add without much detail, she is very much IU family.  Maybe her story hits btown papers.  That's up to the family.  

Then a firefighter buddy tested positive, quarantined away from wife and baby, only for both of them to get it.  2nd time for baby in 6 months   They have already spent 5 rough nights, 2 in hospital, while baby was 3 months old struggling to breath after testing positive and mom and dad maintaining negative.  Just weird stuff.  

11 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Good post and thoughts.  

I saw a Facebook post talking about how this is worse than the great depression, spanish flu, ww2, and others.  

I've had to bite my tongue.  We are so blessed, so fortunate, so comfortable, so unchallenged.  

The average annual worldwide deaths by starvation is 9 million.  Meanwhile 40% of the us is overweight.  

Dated in may.  Wonder what the current and future outlook is now? https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/05/850470436/u-n-warns-number-of-people-starving-to-death-could-double-amid-pandemic

I am seriously glad I did not see those posts. Absolutely absurd. 

14 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Did you guys read the story?

The reasons why they waited on options for more vaccines specifically from Pfizer is clearly outlined. No one knew who, out of the 7 companies working on a vaccination, would be able to produce one first. So if we only go for Pfizer's we've back ourselves into a corner. We've given 1 company a promise to cover more than 1/3rd of our population (the 100 million that we initially purchased would cover 50 million people as 2 doses are required).

Of course, an "anonymous source" Monday morning quarterbacking is nothing new...

Not to mention, why do we even have a vaccination becoming available this early anyway? 

Talk about agendas...

I read the story in the NYT. Did I say anything incorrect? They chose to pass and Pfizer sold to another country. 

11 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I read the story in the NYT. Did I say anything incorrect? They chose to pass and Pfizer sold to another country. 

16 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

I would like to say why this happened, but I can’t b/c of politics. Let’s just say that the powers that be decided they didn’t need Pfizer’s extra doses that were offered. So, Pfizer sold them to other countries.

Beside the bolded text that implies something other than the valid reasons presented in the CNN link, I guess not...

Just going down to Mexico to pick up some Corona...

“I would say that 60-70 percent of my positives in the last couple weeks in New York City have been a direct result of either people coming back from Art With Me, or who have been directly exposed to someone who attended Art With Me. And I test in Miami as well, and my testers there tell me that a lot of their positives are people coming back from Art With Me.”

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Doesn't surprise me at all. We are going to see the effects of this virus for a LONG time when it comes to education. I have a TOR list I'm responsible for... about 35 students. Half of them are failing over half their classes. Probably 6 of them are failing every single class. I bet 28 of my 35 students have at least one F. 

I can't count how many meetings I've had to try to convince students to stay in school. 

Agreed. Saw that an affluent MD district has a 500% increase in Fs in Math. Minorities and the poor are being hit especially hard. When education is the cornerstone to the American dream, the result will be a decade or more to recover. Saw another stat that 20% of kids in another school district are not showing up at all. The ramifications of these dropouts and lost year of education is devastating. 

Keep doing what you are doing and realize convincing those kids to stay in school will probably be some of your biggest accomplishments. 

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

Agreed. Saw that an affluent MD district has a 500% increase in Fs in Math. Minorities and the poor are being hit especially hard. When education is the cornerstone to the American dream, the result will be a decade or more to recover. Saw another stat that 20% of kids in another school district are not showing up at all. The ramifications of these dropouts and lost year of education is devastating. 

Keep doing what you are doing and realize convincing those kids to stay in school will probably be some of your biggest accomplishments. 

The bolded do not surprise me at all. I don't have the facts to show my school districts numbers compared to these, but they wouldn't be much different at all. 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Just going down to Mexico to pick up some Corona...

“I would say that 60-70 percent of my positives in the last couple weeks in New York City have been a direct result of either people coming back from Art With Me, or who have been directly exposed to someone who attended Art With Me. And I test in Miami as well, and my testers there tell me that a lot of their positives are people coming back from Art With Me.”

Thoughts?

Other than those people being selfish a**holes? We’ve also seen a huge uptick in tourists here and many not bothering to even have masks as chinstraps. 

4 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Other than those people being selfish a**holes? We’ve also seen a huge uptick in tourists here and many not bothering to even have masks as chinstraps. 

@Lostin76 I wholeheartedly agree with that assessment. Should there have been a quarantine order in effect for the returnees?

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

@Lostin76 I wholeheartedly agree with that assessment. Should there have been a quarantine order in effect for the returnees?

I don’t know what the answer is beyond just not doing the behaviors that spread it. There are signs all over the subway and on the bridges here telling people visiting to quarantine, but I’d be willing to bet almost no one does it. 

It’s the same type of person that travels to Mexico to party that’s traipsing around here being careless with masks. There is a place near here that has HUGE brunch parties on Saturday and Sunday mornings/afternoons. It has tint on the front windows and doors, so you can’t see in. BUT you can hear the music bumping and see the drunk women stumbling out trying to figure out where they parked their cars. 

They simple can’t be bothered and apparently don’t care if they infect their older neighbors and family. 

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

I don’t know what the answer is beyond just not doing the behaviors that spread it. There are signs all over the subway and on the bridges here telling people visiting to quarantine, but I’d be willing to bet almost no one does it. 

It’s the same type of person that travels to Mexico to party that’s traipsing around here being careless with masks. There is a place near here that has HUGE brunch parties on Saturday and Sunday mornings/afternoons. It has tint on the front windows and doors, so you can’t see in. BUT you can hear the music bumping and see the drunk women stumbling out trying to figure out where they parked their cars. 

They simple can’t be bothered and apparently don’t care if they infect their older neighbors and family. 

When the virus situation is past us, could you give me the address of the place that is spitting out drunk women?  :coffee:

• Haha 6

Are people hoarding pop now? Every time I'm at the store, I see people lining the outside of their carts with bottles of Mountain Dew and Pepsi. The other day, I saw a lady with six 12-packs of Pepsi piled up in her cart. There are signs asking people to take no more than 2 products, yet entire shelves are sitting empty. Today, I couldn't find a single bottle of Mountain Dew anywhere. Not even in the refrigerators that are set up near the checkout lanes. 

11 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Are people hoarding pop now? Every time I'm at the store, I see people lining the outside of their carts with bottles of Mountain Dew and Pepsi. The other day, I saw a lady with six 12-packs of Pepsi piled up in her cart. There are signs asking people to take no more than 2 products, yet entire shelves are sitting empty. Today, I couldn't find a single bottle of Mountain Dew anywhere. Not even in the refrigerators that are set up near the checkout lanes. 

.......you know the green dye in Mountain Dew shrinks your testicles? 😆

News from LA. Rather strong words. 

https://therealdeal.com/la/2020/12/08/judge-tentatively-strikes-down-la-county-outdoor-dining-ban/ 

“The Restaurant Closure Order is an abuse of the department’s emergency powers, is not grounded in science, evidence, or logic, and should be adjudicated to be unenforceable as a matter of law,” Judge Chalfant wrote.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

When the virus situation is past us, could you give me the address of the place that is spitting out drunk women?  :coffee:

For you, my friend, I will. Two weeks ago three women were so confused that the parking garage in our building “didn’t look the same as when they parked.” I pointed them around the corner to the actual garage they had probably parked in. They were very happy to find their car. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Another fresh perspective.  

I'll add my level of empathy for people has went way up lately.  One of my buddies mom, in her 60's, thankfully pulled out of 3 weeks on a respirator after her epilepsy and seizures worsened her Corona symptoms.  While on the vent it was discovered she had a stroke and now is unable to move the entire right side of her body.  Hopefully she can make a good recovery.  I will add without much detail, she is very much IU family.  Maybe her story hits btown papers.  That's up to the family.  

Then a firefighter buddy tested positive, quarantined away from wife and baby, only for both of them to get it.  2nd time for baby in 6 months   They have already spent 5 rough nights, 2 in hospital, while baby was 3 months old struggling to breath after testing positive and mom and dad maintaining negative.  Just weird stuff.  

Not covid related but my grandma had a stroke at 73 and was paralyzed on the right side of her body and bedridden for 10 years before she died.

I lost my dad to a heart attack at 45, and I held his hand as he left this world. Lost my only living grandpa the year before. 

So I guess my worldview is a bit jaded because I've I lost so much in a short period of time. 

I guess my point is I share your empathy, but its hard to have emotions because I lost so much in such a short time.  

I've only known 3 people with covid and all mild symptoms thankfully.

7 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Not covid related but my grandma had a stroke at 73 and was paralyzed on the right side of her body and bedridden for 10 years before she died.

I lost my dad to a heart attack at 45, and I held his hand as he left this world. Lost my only living grandpa the year before. 

So I guess my worldview is a bit jaded because I've I lost so much in a short period of time. 

I guess my point is I share your empathy, but its hard to have emotions because I lost so much in such a short time.  

Thanks for sharing.  I honestly feel your pain.  May GOD bless you. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

One day, we will look back on the shutdowns of our vital institutions—our schools, our churches and synagogues, our gyms, our libraries—and we will have to determine whether the suffering in terms of depression, alcoholism and drug addiction, failed marriages, and suicide was really worth the cost.

I guess that's the million dollar question. However, no matter how obvious the implications might seem to one person, they do not provide the answers. They remain what they are: questions.

Here's the thing I have about this whole issue. First, no matter which way you look at it, the decision is a catch 22. On one side you have lasting impacts of depression, substance abuse, etc. from lock downs (which is undetermined). On the other hand you have thousands of people dying everyday. And for every death, you have many more who are going to suffer long term health effects from COVID19. Who's not to say that either of those will also cause depression and substance abuse? What about the overloaded healthcare workers whose experiences in this time wall cause long term depression. Jeez, talk about a huge group of people that will be prone to PTSD. What about the effects these long term issues will have on future healthcare costs? 

This is not a black and white issue. 

One thing that evidence shows is that lock downs work in mitigating the spread. They save lives and decrease the toll on our healthcare systems. However, there are different degrees to lockdowns....we apparently can't agree on what's right for us. Right now we know that mental health effects are inevitable (they are even when we aren't in a pandemic), but we don't know to what degree. Meanwhile, the effects of COVID19 are slapping us in the face. Do we concern ourselves with the problem at hand or take away a proven mitigation factor based on the hypothetical future effects of mental health? 

Edited by tdhoosier

39 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

This is not a black and white issue. 

One thing that evidence shows is that lock downs work in mitigating the spread.

That depends on what you read...

"Japan has so far managed to avoid “explosive” infections as in Europe and the U.S. without enforcing lockdowns, most likely thanks to the common use of face masks and disinfectant, as well as other common preventive measures including social distancing."

"Norway and Finland  boast the West’s lowest rates of mortality linked to Covid-19 and a low incidence of coronavirus infections even though they have kept their economies and societies largely open while lockdowns returned to the continent."

My friend, this isn't "black and white" as you say...One of the reasons I like to see ALL information, and not just one side...

• Like 1