Coronavirus

Reacher

Some recommended reading. 

'The impossible is not impossible': The push to make Covid-19 vaccines at record speed

It takes about five or six weeks to genetically engineer and then grow, purify, and finish the vaccine before it can be bottled and sealed and sent on its way to be distributed to vaccine centers.
Put another way, Dr. Paul Stoffels, chief scientific officer for Johnson & Johnson, told CNN, "you can't accelerate it by yelling at it."
Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Some recommended reading. 

'The impossible is not impossible': The push to make Covid-19 vaccines at record speed

It takes about five or six weeks to genetically engineer and then grow, purify, and finish the vaccine before it can be bottled and sealed and sent on its way to be distributed to vaccine centers.
Put another way, Dr. Paul Stoffels, chief scientific officer for Johnson & Johnson, told CNN, "you can't accelerate it by yelling at it."

Good reminder of just how many people are working on the front lines in this huge effort. 

• Like 1

My mother in law had a really rough go with round one of moderna.  She is one of the few people that is having chronic issues from covid.  She had it right out of the gate last March.  Still has a cough a year later.  

My downs nephew had a horrible reaction.  Hives head to toe, throat started swelling.  Took a ton of benedryl for almost 2 weeks.  Needless to say, both are declining round 2.  

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Looking forward to the day we can lock this thread. I feel like we should have a small ceremony or something. 

Unfortunately, I think that is a long way off! Supply chain is getting worse not better! Also, my friend’s friend is reporting Italy is locked down again because of worries about the new varieties!

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

Unfortunately, I think that is a long way off! Supply chain is getting worse not better! Also, my friend’s friend is reporting Italy is locked down again because of worries about the new varieties!

I heard yesterday that a business that does a lot of Municipal exterior construction (Decks, gazebos, etc) is struggling because they cannot procure any TREX decking material. There are shortages all over as consumers working on spending their portion of the $ trillions in stimulus $. There is huge pent up demand.

6 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I heard yesterday that a business that does a lot of Municipal exterior construction (Decks, gazebos, etc) is struggling because they cannot procure any TREX decking material. There are shortages all over as consumers working on spending their portion of the $ trillions in stimulus $. There is huge pent up demand.

Our problems are raw plastic and rigid foam. My son is in construction management and says construction materials are drying up. He specializes in Audio/Visual installation like conference rooms and such and said he had a camera for their own conference room ordered and it’s been back ordered for 4 months! 

Honest question. My tribe has been down for 52 weeks. None have gotten the virus. I've known plenty who have. Total lockdown for first 4-5 months last year. Started venturing out in August. Outdoor get togethers,etc...

We've been preaching social distance, exercise each day and of course cleanliness. Am I an idiot for being 50/50 on getting a vaccine when my age range becomes available? Nothing to do with anything political or whatever...more of the keep doing what's working so far crowd. Just curious what others think or others who are in same boat. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Honest question. My tribe has been down for 52 weeks. None have gotten the virus. I've known plenty who have. Total lockdown for first 4-5 months last year. Started venturing out in August. Outdoor get togethers,etc...

We've been preaching social distance, exercise each day and of course cleanliness. Am I an idiot for being 50/50 on getting a vaccine when my age range becomes available? Nothing to do with anything political or whatever...more of the keep doing what's working so far crowd. Just curious what others think or others who are in same boat. 

Having had the damn thing, I'm still going to get the vaccination after I get my neck procedure done on 3/24...

I know it's mild on some people, but I'd take 20 shots not to go through that again...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

We are like you guys, pretty strict lockdown for the beginning and then gradual going out, but maintaining precautions. Feel lucky to have never had it during this all this time, especially here in NYC. But we didn’t hesitate to get the vaccine. Main reason is that you can do everything correctly but there’s always those people who just don’t get it. B/c of them we got the vaccine. 

Now when I see idiots on the sub not wearing a mask I just don’t sweat it. Before I would have had to get up and move away from them. 

The side effects are thankfully usually minor, though there will always be cases like @NotIThatLives relatives. I know of a co-worker who got bad face sewlling after the first dose. 

I had a pretty strong reaction to the second shot, but it didn’t last. And I would take that any day over the lingering issues that so many have had - not to mention death. 

I also think the more people are vaccinated, the quicker we get out of this thing. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

Also I think more time at home gives people the itch for home improvement projects. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Where I live in Northern Indiana, people grew tired of lock downs and masks very quickly.  For the most part it has been life as usual for us, masks in public places being the only difference really.  We are more home bodies by nature,  so going out to eat and such really isn't our thing. I may know ten people total that have taken the shot, everyone else has carried on as normal.  I'm 44, keep to myself for the most part so I personally will pas

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

I also think the more people are vaccinated, the quicker we get out of this thing. 

This is what matters most to me.  I've pretty much only ventured out to the grocery and my kids activities, always masked up and socially distancing when I do.  Once both my wife and I get vaccinated (I'm getting J&J this Friday, she's getting first dose of Moderna next week), it will be nice to be able to think about visiting the new Mexican restaurant in town and things like that.  But, if enough people don't get vaccinated, then it may be a long, long time before things fully open again.

I want to be able to visit a jam-packed Assembly Hall next season!