Coronavirus

Reacher

48 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I read an article last week about how if you get the vaccine and are asymptomatic it can activate covid and exacerbate the symptoms.  Hope your friend is doing well. 

She’s recovered now. This whole episode was in early January. That may explain why it took her out for 2-3 weeks. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cdc-identifies-small-group-of-covid-19-infections-among-fully-vaccinated-patients-11618490232

These so-called breakthrough cases, which are defined as positive Covid-19 test results received at least two weeks after patients receive their final vaccine dose, represent 0.008% of the fully vaccinated population.

Experts believed that breakthrough cases were inevitable, but the fact that the early numbers are this low is pretty remarkable. That's only 5,800 cases amongst 66 million vaccinated people. 

• Like 2

On 4/15/2021 at 2:40 PM, tdhoosier said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cdc-identifies-small-group-of-covid-19-infections-among-fully-vaccinated-patients-11618490232

Experts believed that breakthrough cases were inevitable, but the fact that the early numbers are this low is pretty remarkable. That's only 5,800 cases amongst 66 million vaccinated people. 

I posted about that previously. The 90% effective rate is really misleading. Really like 99.9%.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 8:37 AM, tdhoosier said:

At least from what I understand, we have enough vaccines to cover the suspension of J&J, but those obviously are 2 dose vaccines. So I’m guessing there is a minor delay for the people scheduled to get the J&J by 3-4 weeks (assuming they’re switching to Pfizer or Moderna during the delay)?

But don’t people have some degree of immunity after getting the first shot of Pfizer or Moderna? 

My bigger concern is that this creates even more hesitancy amongst those who are leary of getting vaccinated. Some who have the inability to see the bigger picture are looking for their ‘told you so’ moment when this hiccup is really proving the opposite of the anti-vax narrative. In the end and given the information we have available there’s a .0001% chance of getting a blood clot from ONE of the vaccines vs. a much MUCH higher chance of developing a condition of similar severity to a blood clot, or dying from COVID. 

I know I’m preaching to the choir... 

It doesn't help that Dr. Fauci says even after getting the vaccine you still need to wear masks, social distance, not gather or go to events, ect.

If the vaccines are effective then why say this?  What are people supposed to think with this messaging?

Personally what I see is this, a difference in philosophy.  Collectivism vs individualism. I wont go further but I'm not getting a vaccine, because I'm not it a compromised group and I've personally known 2 people who have had it and we are a year+ in so why should I. 

That said my natural state is to avoid the public and live monk mode so I dont go out much anyway. 

11 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

It doesn't help that Dr. Fauci says even after getting the vaccine you still need to wear masks, social distance, not gather or go to events, ect.

If the vaccines are effective then why say this?  What are people supposed to think with this messaging?

Personally what I see is this, a difference in philosophy.  Collectivism vs individualism. I wont go further but I'm not getting a vaccine, because I'm not it a compromised group and I've personally known 2 people who have had it and we are a year+ in so why should I. 

That said my natural state is to avoid the public and live monk mode so I dont go out much anyway. 

But why wouldn’t he say that? The vaccines are not 100% effective, so until herd immunity is reached (ha!) then vaccinated people should still take precautions when going out and about. 

I do think you have something about collectivism vs individualism. If I lived in the boonies, I might not practice the same precautions that I do in a big city. We live closely and intermingle with our neighbors and many of them are elderly. There’s very much a “take care of each” other attitude. 

Edited by Lostin76
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

On March 20th, In Indiana, 3.6% of ICU beds were in use for Covid patients.  Today, 9.2% of ICU beds are being used for Covid patients.

Wish I could answer the way I'd like to answer. Simply put. Hospitals will never run out of ICU beds for Covid. Ever. Now staffing is another deal.....but beds? Never. 

This was published last year-

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7680614/

Read the whole thing. From a division of the US National Institute of Health.

Conclusion

The existing scientific evidences challenge the safety and efficacy of wearing facemask as preventive intervention for COVID-19. The data suggest that both medical and non-medical facemasks are ineffective to block human-to-human transmission of viral and infectious disease such SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19, supporting against the usage of facemasks. Wearing facemasks has been demonstrated to have substantial adverse physiological and psychological effects. These include hypoxia, hypercapnia, shortness of breath, increased acidity and toxicity, activation of fear and stress response, rise in stress hormones, immunosuppression, fatigue, headaches, decline in cognitive performance, predisposition for viral and infectious illnesses, chronic stress, anxiety and depression. Long-term consequences of wearing facemask can cause health deterioration, developing and progression of chronic diseases and premature death. Governments, policy makers and health organizations should utilize prosper and scientific evidence-based approach with respect to wearing facemasks, when the latter is considered as preventive intervention for public health.

• 51 minutes ago, Reacher said:

This was published last year-

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7680614/

Read the whole thing. From a division of the US National Institute of Health.

Conclusion

The existing scientific evidences challenge the safety and efficacy of wearing facemask as preventive intervention for COVID-19. The data suggest that both medical and non-medical facemasks are ineffective to block human-to-human transmission of viral and infectious disease such SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19, supporting against the usage of facemasks. Wearing facemasks has been demonstrated to have substantial adverse physiological and psychological effects. These include hypoxia, hypercapnia, shortness of breath, increased acidity and toxicity, activation of fear and stress response, rise in stress hormones, immunosuppression, fatigue, headaches, decline in cognitive performance, predisposition for viral and infectious illnesses, chronic stress, anxiety and depression. Long-term consequences of wearing facemask can cause health deterioration, developing and progression of chronic diseases and premature death. Governments, policy makers and health organizations should utilize prosper and scientific evidence-based approach with respect to wearing facemasks, when the latter is considered as preventive intervention for public health.

This is a one author paper by the “journal” Medical Hypotheses, which says its purpose is to publish “theoretical papers." Also I’m pretty sure the claims about ill effects from mask wearing have been debunked.  
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Lostin76 said:
  • This is a one author paper by the “journal” Medical Hypotheses, which says its purpose is to publish “theoretical papers." Also I’m pretty sure the claims about ill effects from mask wearing have been debunked.  

Months ago I had linked some studies showing the virus particles were too small too be filtered by most non N95 masks. Coupled with improper wearing / usage, masks would only slightly reduce transmission but not eliminate it. I don't have time to dig that out again but are you doubting that? What specifically, do you disagree with in the article findings? 

Are you now in favor of eliminating science? There is no longer use for a "hypothesis" that might run counter to your favored opinion? Come on, let people make up their own minds.  Maybe the person you believe "debunked" the effects had an agenda? No need to try and discredit information. Let time and the rigors of science be the judge.

You might think this Stanford University Dr is a quack (Cardiology Division, Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System/Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA, United States) but what he says passes the common sense test to me. I didn't see anything outlandish. Are all the studies he linked bogus? No relevance at all? 

Maybe, just, maybe, there is some relevance? Maybe some people (myself for sure) will be a little more cautious regarding extended mask wearing just on the off chance he might be on to something. 

It's been over 24 hours since my second dose. I had slight nausea for an hour or two late yesterday afternoon and soreness in shot area. Main thing has been general achy feeling, especially in my legs. It kept me up most of last night. I'm hoping it goes away tonight so I can get some sleep tonight as I'm extremely tired today.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

It's been over 24 hours since my second dose. I had slight nausea for an hour or two late yesterday afternoon and soreness in shot area. Main thing has been general achy feeling, especially in my legs. It kept me up most of last night. I'm hoping it goes away tonight so I can get some sleep tonight as I'm extremely tired today.

I heard Michelob Ultra is good for nausea...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Has anyone who did the one time J&J shot experienced any delay side effects. I got my shot April 2nd at track. Felt a little odd for about a day but was fine after that. Last couple of days just feeling off. Could be seasonal or allergies....but just curious for those in the know if this happens? Admittedly I don't know much on vaccines.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Has anyone who did the one time J&J shot experienced any delay side effects. I got my shot April 2nd at track. Felt a little odd for about a day but was fine after that. Last couple of days just feeling off. Could be seasonal or allergies....but just curious for those in the know if this happens? Admittedly I don't know much on vaccines.

Could also be the weather the last couple days. At least for me, when there are dramatic temperature changes I feel off.  Dont know if it's the change in barometric pressure or what but happens every time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Africa is interesting.  One of the most populous continents, with poor healthcare systems and little vaccination so far. Maybe it's the anti malaria drugs they take? Younger less obese population?  

Both could be likely. They do have a lower proportion of elderly. Add in a medical system that probably doesn't test / report as much as well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

This is my concern. When I received my first dose of vaccine, the place was packed and I had to wait a few minutes to check in. For my second dose, I walked in and there was nobody else in the building getting a vaccine....just the two nurses and someone to check in. One other person showed up for his first dose while I was waiting after receiving my injection. I asked the nurse about how quiet it was and she said "For the most part everyone who wanted to get vaccinated came as soon as they were eligible and now the demand is way down". I don't think we are going to have nearly enough people fully vaccinated to reach "herd status".