Coronavirus

Reacher

The article mentions this, but the mass vaccination sites were likely always going to be about the first wave of willing, eager recipients.  Now the grind starts - getting them into local doctor's offices (places of trusted care), local pharmacies, that sort of thing.  Mobile clinics to go home-to-home for those who are willing but lack the time/resources to get somewhere.  

Now it's a block-by-block battle against time and variants.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 6:02 PM, Reacher said:

This was published last year-

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7680614/

Read the whole thing. From a division of the US National Institute of Health.

Conclusion

The existing scientific evidences challenge the safety and efficacy of wearing facemask as preventive intervention for COVID-19. The data suggest that both medical and non-medical facemasks are ineffective to block human-to-human transmission of viral and infectious disease such SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19, supporting against the usage of facemasks. Wearing facemasks has been demonstrated to have substantial adverse physiological and psychological effects. These include hypoxia, hypercapnia, shortness of breath, increased acidity and toxicity, activation of fear and stress response, rise in stress hormones, immunosuppression, fatigue, headaches, decline in cognitive performance, predisposition for viral and infectious illnesses, chronic stress, anxiety and depression. Long-term consequences of wearing facemask can cause health deterioration, developing and progression of chronic diseases and premature death. Governments, policy makers and health organizations should utilize prosper and scientific evidence-based approach with respect to wearing facemasks, when the latter is considered as preventive intervention for public health.

Stanford says NOPE

4 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

The article mentions this, but the mass vaccination sites were likely always going to be about the first wave of willing, eager recipients.  Now the grind starts - getting them into local doctor's offices (places of trusted care), local pharmacies, that sort of thing.  Mobile clinics to go home-to-home for those who are willing but lack the time/resources to get somewhere.  

The grind indeed. Lots of folks in small towns and/or rural areas are used to getting this kind of care from their local docs. Not traveling to mass vaccination sites. I heard a spokesperson on NPR this morning saying that getting the shots into local doctors offices was going to be critical and I agree. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Very true. Don't want to turn this into debate of any kind...but this weekend Mooresville was supposed to have a mass site. 2400 doses ready to hit the arms. Only 97 people signed up so they did away with site. 60 days ago you couldn't find doses....now this.

https://www.wishtv.com/news/vaccinecentral/extremely-low-interest-cancels-covid-19-vaccination-clinic-in-mooresville/

I am curious how much of the downturn is vaccine complacency (e.g. I won't go out of my way to get it, but if you show up to my house I'll gladly take it) versus vaccine hesitancy (I am reluctant to get the vaccine for XYZ reasons).

Don't get me wrong, it is clear from polling and media reporting that the latter exists, but I think a ton of the lack of demand is the former as well.  

24 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I am curious how much of the downturn is vaccine complacency (e.g. I won't go out of my way to get it, but if you show up to my house I'll gladly take it) versus vaccine hesitancy (I am reluctant to get the vaccine for XYZ reasons).

Don't get me wrong, it is clear from polling and media reporting that the latter exists, but I think a ton of the lack of demand is the former as well.  

My elderly parents quite adamantly told me they were not going to go out of their way to get it.  Basically not wanting to drive to Fort Wayne.

Now my sister, 50, completely dives into conspiracy theories.  That coupled with her distrust of the government and media has her unwilling to get vaccinated.

8 minutes ago, rico said:

My elderly parents quite adamantly told me they were not going to go out of their way to get it.  Basically not wanting to drive to Fort Wayne.

Now my sister, 50, completely dives into conspiracy theories.  That coupled with her distrust of the government and media has her unwilling to get vaccinated.

My Step Mother (rural Illinois) was adamant about getting. Her sons (who i think are idiots) big into government conspiracy stuff aren't getting vaccines. My Stepmom tested positive yesterday and isn't doing well. Guess who won't betting vaccinated because now they believe the vaccine didn't do anything to help their Mom. 

And the beat goes on....haha.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

image.png.f97d233f4067cc782864eab958ae8688.png

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

My Step Mother (rural Illinois) was adamant about getting. Her sons (who i think are idiots) big into government conspiracy stuff aren't getting vaccines. My Stepmom tested positive yesterday and isn't doing well. Guess who won't betting vaccinated because now they believe the vaccine didn't do anything to help their Mom. 

And the beat goes on....haha.

Do your step-bros believe in modern medicine?  Serious question.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rico said:

Do your step-bros believe in modern medicine?  Serious question.

Not enough space to write what I think what they think. One runs marathons so he's in the I'm good enough camp health wise from what I've been told. The other likes to blame anyone else (including our government) for his life's multiple failures so my guess is he's been using the government is out to get me card.

Haven't spoken with either in 15+ years so this is just a guess.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not enough space to write what I think what they think. One runs marathons so he's in the I'm good enough camp health wise from what I've been told. The other likes to blame anyone else (including our government) for his life's multiple failures so my guess is he's been using the government is out to get me card.

Haven't spoken with either in 15+ years so this is just a guess.

I just ask because I know a few people that absolutely refuse to go to the doctor.  I always blame those things on a fear of needles.  Although there are quite a few quack MD's out there.

• Like 1

I'm going to be very curious to see the case levels a month from now.  I'm honestly surprised daily cases have not dropped lower than they have since the vaccinations have increased.  If totals by the end of May are higher than the end of May last year, it's fair to question what we could have done differently.

On the sports front, I have a hard time seeing the Olympics happening.  I can see them pushing the Summer Games back to 2022, and bumping the Winter Games scheduled for 2022 back to 2023.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, rico said:

Tomorrow is the day for my 2nd shot of Moderna.  Injection time is 8:50 AM EST.  Just a tad bit nervous about this one.

You big ninny!!  I had zero issues/after shocks from my second Moderna.  I do find that I howl quite a lot at a full moon.  Boy, last night was really something!  I scratch a lot more at those times too.  🤔

• Haha 2