Coronavirus

Reacher

4 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I'm vaccinated and here in GA it's been pretty open for quite awhile. But I found myself going into the Post Office today to check my box with my mask on? It's Wednesday there was nobody there?

Going to be tough breaking old habits!

I played the first hole of golf with my mask on, playing with just me and Ayden

• Like 1

Honest question about the reduction in Covid numbers.

How much of the reduction in numbers has to do with vaccinations versus how much has to do with the warmer weather?  Doesn't it make sense that it is a combination of both?

I ask because I think a segment of the society is becoming complacent about getting vaccinated because they see declining cases and figure the risk is going away.  Unfortunately, as a nation, we are going to struggle to reach 50% vaccinated, let alone the 75%-80% estimated to reach heard immunity.  

So, when the weather starts changing again in the fall, are we going to see a significant new spike?  I think we will.  It won't be as large as what we had last winter, but we're going to be looking at new restrictions over the holidays again.  I truly expect that to happen.  

With the success of vaccines for smallpox, polio, etc., I'm surprised there is as much reluctance to this vaccine as there is.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Honest question about the reduction in Covid numbers.

How much of the reduction in numbers has to do with vaccinations versus how much has to do with the warmer weather?  Doesn't it make sense that it is a combination of both?

I ask because I think a segment of the society is becoming complacent about getting vaccinated because they see declining cases and figure the risk is going away.  Unfortunately, as a nation, we are going to struggle to reach 50% vaccinated, let alone the 75%-80% estimated to reach heard immunity.  

So, when the weather starts changing again in the fall, are we going to see a significant new spike?  I think we will.  It won't be as large as what we had last winter, but we're going to be looking at new restrictions over the holidays again.  I truly expect that to happen.  

With the success of vaccines for smallpox, polio, etc., I'm surprised there is as much reluctance to this vaccine as there is.

Is it warmer in India, or colder? 

My guess is when you add all the vaccinated, plus those that contracted knowingly, and then those with antibodies unknowingly, we must be getting pretty high up those percentages.  

Remember when they tested random people in LA and NYC for antibodies and it was around 25%?  That was last summer.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

My guess is when you add all the vaccinated, plus those that contracted knowingly, and then those with antibodies unknowingly, we must be getting pretty high up those percentages.  

Remember when they tested random people in LA and NYC for antibodies and it was around 25%?  That was last summer.  

One counter to that line of thinking is that a portion of the people that have gotten vaccinated actually had the disease and had the antibodies already.   Those people can only be counted once when we are talking about calculating herd immunity.

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

The guy that sit's in the next cubicle from me finally went and got tested for antibodies and tested positive. I had to get my car to the dealership for a check engine code last week and he drove me there to pick it up. On the way he said since the covid to him was like a mild cold he wasn't getting vacinated. Can't say I blame him, especially after last Friday with the company sponsored free vaccines on site. Two of our coworkers felt seriously ill over the weekend!

By the way the ones that got seriously ill after the shot had previously had covid!

Still get the vaccine!

2 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

The guy that sit's in the next cubicle from me finally went and got tested for antibodies and tested positive. I had to get my car to the dealership for a check engine code last week and he drove me there to pick it up. On the way he said since the covid to him was like a mild cold he wasn't getting vacinated. Can't say I blame him, especially after last Friday with the company sponsored free vaccines on site. Two of our coworkers felt seriously ill over the weekend!

By the way the ones that got seriously ill after the shot had previously had covid!

Still get the vaccine!

The highlighted part trends toward something I have always believed.  Some people have a natural immunity to this thing.  Otherwise, there is no way we would have seen stories like we did early on, before masking and social distancing became the thing to do, where a husband would get seriously ill and even die while the wife would not even get sick.  Or, a family of 5 would have 3 get seriously ill and 2 experience nothing.  

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The highlighted part trends toward something I have always believed.  Some people have a natural immunity to this thing.  Otherwise, there is no way we would have seen stories like we did early on, before masking and social distancing became the thing to do, where a husband would get seriously ill and even die while the wife would not even get sick.  Or, a family of 5 would have 3 get seriously ill and 2 experience nothing.  

While I completely agree that some people are not affected (my next door neighbor at work) and some die, I think that those who have had Covid and get the vaccine, their bodies actually battle the vaccine!

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think you are on to something here. The varied reaction to the virus is probably dependent on individual immune systems. That makes it so hard to predict what the consequences of forgoing the vaccine will be. I have not been vaccinated yet, but my wife has. I fully supported her decision. In my family, some have and some haven't. My daughter, who works in a nursing home, tested positive last summer. She had no symptoms and her husband and son never tested positive. And yet, other families have been devastated by it. I guess that's why I have supported allowing individuals to make their own decisions and respect whatever that decision is. Someone once told me that you live your life at your own risk.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Still get the vaccine!

Have to say, after the weekend, they both feel rejuvenated! 

Had  to reboot because my lap top took a knap!

Edited by Drroogh

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

One counter to that line of thinking is that a portion of the people that have gotten vaccinated actually had the disease and had the antibodies already.   Those people can only be counted once when we are talking about calculating herd immunity.

Sure.  Some for sure.  

My other train of thought is the CDC knows this.  They know way more than any of us.  They have ran the calculations and determined it's safe.  They know good and well non vaccinated people are going to just blend in and quit wearing a mask as soon as everyone else does and the powers that be say it's safe to go without.  

10 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Use of fear to control behaviour in Covid crisis was ‘totalitarian’, admit scientists

I know it's from the UK but same tactics here.

There is so much more I wish I could say, but 😬 like anyone would believe me. 

Can you give us the highlights?  I'm not going to subscribe to just read the article.  But, I am interested in what details are used to support the title of the article.

25 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Can you give us the highlights?  I'm not going to subscribe to just read the article.  But, I am interested in what details are used to support the title of the article.

"Scientists on a committee that encouraged the use of fear to control people’s behaviour during the Covid pandemic have admitted its work was “unethical” and “totalitarian”. Advertisements Members of the Scientific Pandemic Influenza Group on Behaviour (SPI-B) expressed regret about the tactics in a new book about the role of psychology in the Government’s Covid-19 response. The group warned in March last year that ministers needed to increase “the perceived level of personal threat” from Covid-19 because “a substantial number of people still do not feel sufficiently personally threatened”. "

“The use of fear has definitely been ethically questionable. It’s been like a weird experiment. Ultimately, it backfired because people became too scared.”

Another SPI-B member said: “You could call psychology ‘mind control’. That’s what we do… clearly we try and go about it in a positive way, but it has been used nefariously in the past.”

One warned that “people use the pandemic to grab power and drive through things that wouldn’t happen otherwise… We have to be very careful about the authoritarianism that is creeping in”.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

"Scientists on a committee that encouraged the use of fear to control people’s behaviour during the Covid pandemic have admitted its work was “unethical” and “totalitarian”. Advertisements Members of the Scientific Pandemic Influenza Group on Behaviour (SPI-B) expressed regret about the tactics in a new book about the role of psychology in the Government’s Covid-19 response. The group warned in March last year that ministers needed to increase “the perceived level of personal threat” from Covid-19 because “a substantial number of people still do not feel sufficiently personally threatened”. "

“The use of fear has definitely been ethically questionable. It’s been like a weird experiment. Ultimately, it backfired because people became too scared.”

Another SPI-B member said: “You could call psychology ‘mind control’. That’s what we do… clearly we try and go about it in a positive way, but it has been used nefariously in the past.”

One warned that “people use the pandemic to grab power and drive through things that wouldn’t happen otherwise… We have to be very careful about the authoritarianism that is creeping in”.

I take COVID seriously and do what I can to protect myself. I try to avoid getting sick, period. I recognized the fear tactics being used early on and presented it. I was reminded of the daily scorecard of those killed and injured during the Vietnam war. I just want an honest assessment of risk and who is most vulnerable. And, especially during the early months, I wanted the constant over the top news stories to stop. Someone trying to manipulate me is one thing I will not tolerate.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Still get the vaccine!

I wish I had got an antibody test before getting vaccinated. I've said it on here before, had we been testing for antibodies, that would have freed up a lot of vaccine doses. A positive antibody test should carry the same weight, maybe even greater weight, than a vaccination. 

I went to Costco Fri eve just before closing so it wasn't terribly busy. They did have the sign up that vaccinated people no longer needed to wear a mask. It seemed like 90% + were still wearing.

Edited by Reacher