Coronavirus

Reacher

On 7/9/2021 at 7:40 AM, Leathernecks said:

There's no proof on any of those deaths though. They're basically just people who died within a few weeks of getting one of the shots. This is definitely not scientific data that it is a top 50 cause.

Here's a lady who was 89 and was in and out of hospice and died 5 days after getting the shot. The report even says it didn't think it was related.

I scrolled through a few pages of the listed deaths, and reports like that are all over.

No doubt. Death reporting has been messed up all along. First, too many deaths linked to COVID, now too many linked to the vaccine. 

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

No doubt. Death reporting has been messed up all along. First, too many deaths linked to COVID, now too many linked to the vaccine. 

But these aren't medically reported deaths, whether the reporting is agreed with or not.  These are random people who feel like it should be counted as a vaccine death, so they go to that website and fill it out.  Not even in the same ballpark.

https://journals.lww.com/americantherapeutics/fulltext/2021/06000/review_of_the_emerging_evidence_demonstrating_the.4.aspx

Conclusions: 

Meta-analyses based on 18 randomized controlled treatment trials of ivermectin in COVID-19 have found large, statistically significant reductions in mortality, time to clinical recovery, and time to viral clearance. Furthermore, results from numerous controlled prophylaxis trials report significantly reduced risks of contracting COVID-19 with the regular use of ivermectin. Finally, the many examples of ivermectin distribution campaigns leading to rapid population-wide decreases in morbidity and mortality indicate that an oral agent effective in all phases of COVID-19 has been identified.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Reacher said:

https://journals.lww.com/americantherapeutics/fulltext/2021/06000/review_of_the_emerging_evidence_demonstrating_the.4.aspx

Conclusions: 

Meta-analyses based on 18 randomized controlled treatment trials of ivermectin in COVID-19 have found large, statistically significant reductions in mortality, time to clinical recovery, and time to viral clearance. Furthermore, results from numerous controlled prophylaxis trials report significantly reduced risks of contracting COVID-19 with the regular use of ivermectin. Finally, the many examples of ivermectin distribution campaigns leading to rapid population-wide decreases in morbidity and mortality indicate that an oral agent effective in all phases of COVID-19 has been identified.

Here’s the issue I have with this: that’s a meta-analysis, not a clinical trial in and of itself. It’s a group of physicians going over and statistically combining the results of other studies. There’s 30 or so studies that the authors say show evidence pointing to one conclusion. How is anyone to know that there aren’t 60 more that point away from that conclusion?

3 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Here’s the issue I have with this: that’s a meta-analysis, not a clinical trial in and of itself. It’s a group of physicians going over and statistically combining the results of other studies. There’s 30 or so studies that the authors say show evidence pointing to one conclusion. How is anyone to know that there aren’t 60 more that point away from that conclusion?

If there are, I'd like to see that.

3 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Isn't that the normal process steps? Find data from both sides of an option, study, dissect, analyze and form the next acceptable conclusion..... Until another acceptable conclusion is arrived at, right? Lather rinse repeat. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 9:10 AM, Reacher said:

Delta variant no more deadly than the flu and virus lethality decreasing ???

vaxx3.jpg?itok=Nn1bYJZR

vaxx2.jpg?itok=JcElXTuG

As you can see, the Delta variant has a 0.1% case fatality rate (CFR) . That is the same rate as the flu and is much lower than the CFR for the ancestral strain or any of the other variants. And as we know, the CFR is always higher than the infection fatality rate (IFR), because many of the mildest and asymptomatic infections go undocumented, while the confirmed cases tend to have a bias toward those who are more evidently symptomatic.

In other words, Delta is literally the flu with a CFR identical to it. This is exactly what every respiratory pandemic has done through history: morphed into more transmissible and less virulent form that forces the other mutations out since you get that one.

Can you give me the link where you got this quote?

9 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Can you give me the link where you got this quote?

I have no clue, that was awhile ago. 

I know some argue the lethality is less because the age group is generally younger. I don't think I've seen anything comparing lethality by age group. 

This seemed to be a pretty balanced article - https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/619301/

In general, it seems that mutations increase transmisability but decrease lethality. From what I've read, that seems to be what is happening with these variants 

• Thanks 1

Variant news- https://www.wsj.com/articles/delta-variant-hospitalizations-covid-coronavirus-vaccine-immunity-11626374706?mod=hp_opin_pos_1

"A new study from the U.K. found that vaccines are still incredibly effective at preventing serious illness with the Delta variant circulating. The Pfizer vaccine was 96% effective after two doses at preventing hospitalization, meaning the average unvaccinated person in the study was more than 25 times as likely to be hospitalized with Covid as the average vaccinated one. (This almost certainly understates the protectiveness of the vaccine, as the vaccinated cohort was older and had a higher incidence of pre-existing conditions than the unvaccinated one.) The Johnson & Johnson vaccine produces strong neutralizing antibodies and cellular responses against the Delta variant, still present eight months after administration.

Studies from Canada and the U.K. show 79% to 87% effectiveness against symptomatic infection with the Delta variant. On July 8 the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration asserted their confidence in the vaccines. They jointly announced that no boosters are necessary at this time.

This is all excellent news, as is the finding that 99% of hospitalizations for Covid-19 are among unvaccinated people. The vaccines are as good as first heralded, even against new variants. (…)

When we look at current hospitalization data across the country, the most striking predictive pattern is that a high vaccination rate in a region accurately predicts a lower hospitalization rate. (…)

So far, as we march through the variant alphabet, none of the predicted doomsday scenarios in virulence or vaccine resistance have come to pass."

• Thanks 1

@Reacher @FKIM01

I posted this awhile back....

Yes, a virus needs a host to survive and replicate.  It uses the host cell DNA to make copies of the viruses sequence.

Mutations occur when there are errors during replication.  DNA has the ability to proofread, where most RNA viruses dont, so mutation rates are higher in RNA viruses.  

Fewer hosts would decrease the viruses chance of survival but wouldn't stop mutations from happening but I would imagine it would slow mutation rates down. 

To add to that, viruses want to live and not kill their host, so they get less deadly over time but more contagious.  

Just the way it works. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

I got a weird phone call..

I am on my way to Washington now. Something about "that guy on your site".

No idea what that means. 

Sounds like a ruse to lure you in. I'm surprised you're turning yourself in. Better calI that atty specializing in "intra family" matters that you have on speed dial. 

Edited by Reacher

22 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

I got a weird phone call..

I am on my way to Washington now. Something about "that guy on your site".

No idea what that means. 

Just remember, “She said she was 18 and not a goat” isn’t a valid legal defense.

• Haha 1

I'm a Twitter news junkie (professional hazard, I blame work) and I started following a ton of new people during COVID.  A ton of smart scientists and other people who tweet interesting things, like this guy who does incredible data visualization:

It was always going to be like this, but still shocking to see just how good we have it (in relative terms).  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/18/health/us-coronavirus-sunday/index.html

"Most people will either get vaccinated, or have been previously infected, or they will get this Delta variant," Dr. Scott Gottlieb told CBS' "Face the Nation" on Sunday.

"And for most people who get this Delta variant, it's going to be the most serious virus that they get in their lifetime in terms of the risk of putting them in the hospital," said Gottlieb, who was commissioner of the US Food and Drug Administration during the Trump administration.

In research posted online, scientists examining 62 cases of the Delta variant found viral loads about 1,260 times higher than those found from 63 cases from the early epidemic wave in 2020.

"You have to get vaccinated," O'Neal said. "That's the only way to end it. Masks and mitigation, they're not going to take it. It's going to be vaccination."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/18/2021 at 7:08 PM, HoosierFaithful said:

I'm a Twitter news junkie (professional hazard, I blame work) and I started following a ton of new people during COVID.  A ton of smart scientists and other people who tweet interesting things, like this guy who does incredible data visualization:

It was always going to be like this, but still shocking to see just how good we have it (in relative terms).  

We are in Italy for three weeks and it’s weird to see how different things are here. Started out in Bergamo, which was hit really hard early on in the pandemic. Everyone wore masks indoors and most of the dining was outdoors. Our AirBnB host had only just received her first shot and was desperate for the second. In the Italian Alps, everyone walking down the street in all of the tourist towns were masked. There were very few people dining indoors and all of the shops were VERY strict about masks. 

Now we are on the Tuscan Coast and they have a guy out front of the grocery store making sure everu=yone is masked and they take your temperature upon entry. 

They don’t have the vaccination stock that we have in the US, and I talked to a guy at the beach who was just dumbfounded at the the number of people in the US refusing the vaccine. He said, “The USA is the richest country, but also sometimes the most ignorant.” Not much of an argument there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

We are in Italy for three weeks and it’s weird to see how different things are here. Started out in Bergamo, which was hit really hard early on in the pandemic. Everyone wore masks indoors and most of the dining was outdoors. Our AirBnB host had only just received her first shot and was desperate for the second. In the Italian Alps, everyone walking down the street in all of the tourist towns were masked. There were very few people dining indoors and all of the shops were VERY strict about masks. 

Now we are on the Tuscan Coast and they have a guy out front of the grocery store making sure everu=yone is masked and they take your temperature upon entry. 

They don’t have the vaccination stock that we have in the US, and I talked to a guy at the beach who was just dumbfounded at the the number of people in the US refusing the vaccine. He said, “The USA is the richest country, but also sometimes the most ignorant.” Not much of an argument there. 

Why am I not seeing this on our national news?