Coronavirus

Reacher

Get ready for the after effects. This was linked in an article from Dr Mike Rozien of the Cleveland Clinic-

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-tsunami-of-disability-is-coming-as-a-result-of-lsquo-long-covid-rsquo/#

In addition to the early retirements, moms that decided (or have to) stay home with their school kids, people that have become addicted to drugs and or died from overdoses, you can add long covid as a factor keeping people out of the workforce and contributing to the scarcity of labor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Get ready for the after effects. This was linked in an article from Dr Mike Rozien of the Cleveland Clinic-

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-tsunami-of-disability-is-coming-as-a-result-of-lsquo-long-covid-rsquo/#

In addition to the early retirements, moms that decided (or have to) stay home with their school kids, people that have become addicted to drugs and or died from overdoses, you can add long covid as a factor keeping people out of the workforce and contributing to the scarcity of labor.

Funny, my wife is a PT and we were just talking about this. She tests functional capacity for workman's comp claims. In the last few weeks she has been seeing more people who were infected with COVID at work and are still dealing with long lasting symptoms that are preventing them from returning to their jobs. 

PSA, these patients are not the elderly or ones that had pre-existing conditions. They are middle aged, otherwise healthy people. We tend to measure severity in death totals and hospitalizations, but look past these long haulers. Why risk it ?  Also, not to mention the crippling effects this could have on cost of healthcare in the future and the unnecessary prolonging of these labor shortages. Get vaccinated. 

*Side note, these labor and raw material shortages (domestic and global) are driving me crazy in my professional life. EVERYTHING is 3x harder these days. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Funny, my wife is a PT and we were just talking about this. She tests functional capacity for workman's comp claims. In the last few weeks she has been seeing more people who were infected with COVID at work and are still dealing with long lasting symptoms that are preventing them from returning to their jobs. 

PSA, these patients are not the elderly or ones that had pre-existing conditions. They are middle aged, otherwise healthy people. We tend to measure severity in death totals and hospitalizations, but look past these long haulers. Why risk it ?  Also, not to mention the crippling effects this could have on cost of healthcare in the future and the unnecessary prolonging of these labor shortages. Get vaccinated. 

*Side note, these labor and raw material shortages (domestic and global) are driving me crazy in my professional life. EVERYTHING is 3x harder these days. 

No doubt we will be facing a higher demand, and costs, for healthcare in the future.

Even McDonalds having a hard time getting paper bags- https://nypost.com/2021/08/09/mcdonalds-grappling-with-low-supply-of-to-go-bags-straws/

6 minutes ago, Reacher said:

No doubt we will be facing a higher demand, and costs, for healthcare in the future.

Even McDonalds having a hard time getting paper bags- https://nypost.com/2021/08/09/mcdonalds-grappling-with-low-supply-of-to-go-bags-straws/

One example in my industry is that there is a shortage in yarn globally - they are 20% down. Without yarn you can't make shirts, polos, hats, jackets, etc. I was talking to the main guy who orders apparel for one of the biggest wholesaler in my industry, he said that if this shortage were to miraculously be solved tomorrow, it will take them about 9 months to catch up and have consistent inventory levels. Unfortunately, this is a long way from being solved and it looks like a temporary new reality for the next year. 

This is having a domino effect on the labor issue. I mentioned that sourcing and fulfilling orders is 3x harder for me, but it's taking a huge toll on my suppliers whose sales and customer service employees feels the brunt of the frustration from distributors (because the distributors are feeling the heat from their customers). I find that I have to take a deep breath and calm before calling these suppliers to deal with a problem; I don't want to take it out on customer service reps because in most cases the inventory issues are way beyond their control. The burnout is causing many to quit. Experienced people are being replaced with newly trained employees who are more prone to errors. It's a mess out there. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

One example in my industry is that there is a shortage in yarn globally - they are 20% down. Without yarn you can't make shirts, polos, hats, jackets, etc. I was talking to the main guy who orders apparel for one of the biggest wholesaler in my industry, he said that if this shortage were to miraculously be solved tomorrow, it will take them about 9 months to catch up and have consistent inventory levels. Unfortunately, this is a long way from being solved and it looks like a temporary new reality for the next year. 

This is having a domino effect on the labor issue. I mentioned that sourcing and fulfilling orders is 3x harder for me, but it's taking a huge toll on my suppliers whose sales and customer service employees feels the brunt of the frustration from distributors (because the distributors are feeling the heat from their customers). I find that I have to take a deep breath and calm before calling these suppliers to deal with a problem; I don't want to take it out on customer service reps because in most cases the inventory issues are way beyond their control. The burnout is causing many to quit. Experienced people are being replaced with newly trained employees who are more prone to errors. It's a mess out there. 

And if those Customer service reps/ sales are like me with a huge commission based upside, their pay gets hosed. I make a sale, but don't get paid until we build, deliver and then wait the 30-60-90 days for the customer to actually pay. It's often 6-9 months before I get paid for my efforts and I know I am not the only one. My pay is down 60%+ during this covid. 

• Like 1

unnamed-2021-08-10T070601.232.png

At this point, it seems like the UK is through the worst of the Delta case surge without a large surge in either hospitalizations or deaths. The primary reason: over 95% of its age 50+ population is already vaccinated. Even though vaccination rates are relatively low in certain areas of the United States, 90% of people aged 65+ have received at least one dose of a vaccine. 

One thing I haven't heard discussed much is the timing of this last wave. Since when do respiratory viruses rise in the summer with people outside soaking up vitamin D (aside from some hot southern states)?

Edited by Reacher

43 minutes ago, Reacher said:

One thing I haven't heard discussed much is the timing of this last wave. Since when do respiratory viruses rise in the summer with people outside soaking up vitamin D (aside from some hot southern states)?

When a respiratory virus is close to being as contagious as the chickenpox?

...just taking a stab at it. 😎

11 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Not sure what has to happen for my area to actually get a thunderstorm. 90 degrees today with dew points in the 70's. Unstable airmass, but only a 30% chance of rain. 

The Iowa derecho was a year ago today. I remember hearing about it all day and preparing for the storm of the century. I was treated to a downpour and 40 mph winds. 

59 minutes ago, Reacher said:

unnamed-2021-08-10T070601.232.png

At this point, it seems like the UK is through the worst of the Delta case surge without a large surge in either hospitalizations or deaths. The primary reason: over 95% of its age 50+ population is already vaccinated. Even though vaccination rates are relatively low in certain areas of the United States, 90% of people aged 65+ have received at least one dose of a vaccine. 

Trying to tie these two posts together and having a hard time.  :coffee:

Spoke with a guy who works in respiratory at a local hospital re vaccinated vs unvaccinated since I have a friend insisting that the vaccine is basically worthless.

1. Yes, a fair number of vaccinated people are coming through their ER.
  2. Yes. the vast majority of the sickest and longest hospitalized positives are unvaccinated.
  3. Yes, the virus is spreading like wildfire because milder COVID positives are going home and not isolating.

There are a lot of people and news sources I don't trust, but is feel like this guy is 100% credible (which is why I asked him).  Take that for what it's worth.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I had another friend tell me that he heard vaccinated people will die within 3-5 years.  I asked him the obvious question...how would we know that NOW?  I swear...some of the stupid stuff circulating on the internet...🙄

And, they will use some 98 year old person to prove that theory.  :coffee:

• Haha 2

Wanting to ask a question for the teachers on this board. What are the policies/procedures for your schools about returning to class if exposed or test positive for Covid? Business as usual? Just prove your negative? What are the unions saying? Genuinely curious because some of the stuff we hear from unions is getting a little crazy.

Had a situation where one of our teachers husband tested positive here in town this week. Now she says she doesn't want to return to school and that online should be good enough...i.e. she wants to keep her job. I said anyone with kids in school has lost a year of learning and we can't keep them at home anymore. She was adamant online was fine and I said so your value as a in person teacher is nothing? Why have teachers to begin with?

This isn't a slight at any of the teachers on here.....but genuinely asking where things stand among the ranks? In person teaching is so valuable....it seems like (just seems like) that some of the teachers are putting their own safety up the rung quite a bit. She said she doesn't want to go back into the classroom because of safety.....but her and her husband going to Symphony on the Prairie last week was fine. Colts preseason camp was fine...concert at Ruoff was fine,etc...

Just seems to be a lot of talking out of both sides. Would be curious what others are experiencing. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Wanting to ask a question for the teachers on this board. What are the policies/procedures for your schools about returning to class if exposed or test positive for Covid? Business as usual? Just prove your negative? What are the unions saying? Genuinely curious because some of the stuff we hear from unions is getting a little crazy.

Had a situation where one of our teachers husband tested positive here in town this week. Now she says she doesn't want to return to school and that online should be good enough...i.e. she wants to keep her job. I said anyone with kids in school has lost a year of learning and we can't keep them at home anymore. She was adamant online was fine and I said so your value as a in person teacher is nothing? Why have teachers to begin with?

This isn't a slight at any of the teachers on here.....but genuinely asking where things stand among the ranks? In person teaching is so valuable....it seems like (just seems like) that some of the teachers are putting their own safety up the rung quite a bit. She said she doesn't want to go back into the classroom because of safety.....but her and her husband going to Symphony on the Prairie last week was fine. Colts preseason camp was fine...concert at Ruoff was fine,etc...

Just seems to be a lot of talking out of both sides. Would be curious what others are experiencing. 

I got out of teaching, so I'm not as much help on this as I used to be.

I will say that the idea of a teacher being able to Zoom in and do as good of a job as an in person teacher is ludicrous.

Unfortunately the people who are (air quotes) "concerned about their safety" make it much tougher for the people who actually are concerned about their safety.

• Like 1