Coronavirus

Reacher

25 minutes ago, dgambill said:

....they constantly discount their drugs globally while charging the most they can in the US. It's no secret that the US citizens have carried a huge burden of the cost for much of the global innovation and distribution of medications. 

Yeah, THIS part, I DO have a problem with, and I don't have an answer.  I think it's utter BS that we pay a huge percentage of the freight here in the U.S. while other countries buy the same meds for pennies on the dollar.  My supposition is that other countries simply threaten to not honor U.S. drug patents if they don't get huge discounts and U.S. pharma just shrugs and considers it incremental profits after our citizens have already paid for all of the R&D.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah, THIS part, I DO have a problem with, and I don't have an answer.  I think it's utter BS that we pay a huge percentage of the freight here in the U.S. while other countries buy the same meds for pennies on the dollar.  My supposition is that other countries simply threaten to not honor U.S. drug patents if they don't get huge discounts and U.S. pharma just shrugs and considers it incremental profits after our citizens have already paid for all of the R&D.

Good point. We see that in China all the time. Countries would likely just buy chinese drugs.

Edited by dgambill

2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Speaking of football, is football killing the COVID narrative? Fauci had said stadiums full of unmasked fans would be superspreading events. Yet after the first couple of weeks, we see cases dropping. It's still early but I think the trends will continue.

I'm not sure. Does the NFL require covid vaccine to attend...or at least a test? That might explain a bit...I just think out door events in general have been WAY WAY overblown as far as opportunities for spreading. Down here in Florida my family almost exclusively dines outdoors with no issues.

8 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Speaking of football, is football killing the COVID narrative? Fauci had said stadiums full of unmasked fans would be superspreading events. Yet after the first couple of weeks, we see cases dropping. It's still early but I think the trends will continue.

Tony has said alot of things that proved wrong. 

11 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Tony has said alot of things that proved wrong. 

To his credit he did predict a global pandemic during Trumps term back in 2017.....then it came true. (I'm discounting that he was also funding gain of function research at the Wuhan Lab so maybe he had some heads up lol)

• Like 4

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

I'm not sure. Does the NFL require covid vaccine to attend...or at least a test? That might explain a bit...I just think out door events in general have been WAY WAY overblown as far as opportunities for spreading. Down here in Florida my family almost exclusively dines outdoors with no issues.

Not sure. I was thinking of the packed college stadiums. Some with 100k fans. Are FL college students required to be vaccinated? I'm sure many of the fans, especially in certain states, are not. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

Here is something I found hilarious...yet kind of sad in a way. So I was checking on my fantasy football team and reading the message boards about one of my players Antonio Brown. So he plays for Tampa Bay a team that is all vaccinated. All staff...all support staff....all players...including Brown. So he tested positive for Covid. The message board was in utter disbelief and shock (also dismay that they couldn't play their star receiver). Most replying they didn't even know that was even possible. Others upset saying why did I get vaccinated...I felt lied to knowing it won't keep me from getting covid. Just on and on with similar expressions lol. It's just weird to see so many people so uninformed about Covid and that they blindly took a vaccine not knowing what it would do and how it could or might protect them. Anyways...I shouldn't be surprised about the ignorance around COVID...it's on BOTH SIDES obviously but man so crazy that many people are only being informed because a vaccinated football player got covid lol. 

What surprises me is that people act like  vaccines not being 100% effective is a new thing. Flu vaccines have never been 100% effective….nowhere close in fact. Yet I’d venture to guess that most of the people questioning the COVID vaccine have had a flu shot at least once in their life. 

Rebuttal 1 would be “But those have been around a lot longer”. Yes, and the formulation changes every year. Every flu shot you’ve ever had is different. There isn’t years of testing done on this years’ flu vaccine formulation. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

What surprises me is that people act like  vaccines not being 100% effective is a new thing. Flu vaccines have never been 100% effective….nowhere close in fact. Yet I’d venture to guess that most of the people questioning the COVID vaccine have had a flu shot at least once in their life. 

Rebuttal 1 would be “But those have been around a lot longer”. Yes, and the formulation changes every year. Every flu shot you’ve ever had is different. There isn’t years of testing done on this years’ flu vaccine formulation. 

Well, I imagine people believe what they've been told. If you get the vaccine you won't get Covid. After all most vaccines were designed to prevent illness not simply reduce the chance of hospitalization and death. I'll just say flu shots are not widely accepted by the public. I worked for a very large pharmacy chain for over a decade before I changed careers. Through the H1N1 etc etc. Adults have always been distrustful of vaccines in general has been my experience....and especially the flu shot. Most felt the side effects from the shot outweighed the flu itself..many thinking the shot could cause the flu. Also when we gave it to them we told them up front that flu shots are based on last season's strain and popular ones that we anticipate for this year...and that a different one might be what goes around. So people had a heads up. Thing about flu shot is that there are lots of different strains vying for a host. It would make sense that the ones in the vaccine would likely not be the common flu virus for that year because of the level of protection in the community against it. Meaning the ones that weren't included would be the ones to have the advantage to take hold and spread. Some years we are lucky and those variants aren't nearly as transmissive or deadly and we see a milder season.

Anyways, people care about their children far far far more than themselves so they will do anything to protect them. Including trusting vaccines because they will do anything to prevent something bad from happening to their baby/child. Most people have never even read a single thing about those vaccines they give their children they simply blindly trust their doctors because they would do anything to protect their baby and parents don't exactly react rationally when it comes to their childs health...more emotionally. Now when it comes to their own health....well we all know people rarely listen to their doctor and actually do what the doctor says. Lose weight, stop drinking, smoking, even take your medicine etc etc. People often even try to reason away the doctors advice (even with bad info). The fact that many don't know what is going on with vaccines etc probably shouldn't have surprised me...actually the amount that have accepted the vaccine surprises me more than those that haven't (in younger age groups). I expected larger pushback in regards to younger healthier adults honestly. This could be a result of unusual pressures or possibly at the perceived seriousness of this disease. I'm sure lot's of people will have varying conclusions on why things are the way they are.

The flu vaccine has become less and less effective over time. Early on it was very effective...but as more and more strains/variations/mutations it has become less and less effective. I imagine this will be the same with COVID. COVID will become less lethal to the healthy population but will find more and more ways to evade vaccines. I'd even say it's likely COVID is the new FLU. Fauci years ago spoke about the need for a UNIVERSAL vaccine against the flu. One that would prevent illness against all variants by identifying and attacking the parts of the virus that stay the same as opposed to just the spike proteins on the end which often change and which avoid detection from those memory cell antibodies.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/29/health/universal-flu-vaccine/index.html

11 hours ago, Reacher said:

Not sure. I was thinking of the packed college stadiums. Some with 100k fans. Are FL college students required to be vaccinated? I'm sure many of the fans, especially in certain states, are not. 

I know some states/schools do....Florida does not. Desantis passed a law it is illegal for businesses/schools/govt entities to require proof of vaccination to attend/use the business. However, there is no such provision requiring a negative test. It seems the schools aren't doing this however. The schools tried to play it off like they couldn't require a test but that isn't true...they wanted to blame Desantis but this choice is their own. I imagine since $$$ is a motivating factor for them they chose that over their fear of spread. I'm not saying it should or shouldn't be necessary but I always find it interesting how selective the moral outrage at the universities are when $$ comes into the picture. They want to blame someone else but this is their decision they would rather lie about who is making it.

As for the super spreader events...like I said...I have serious doubts of the liklihood of spread in an outdoor environment. We have discovered that COVID is much less transmissible then we once thought. Remember when we were cleaning groceries and wiping down every surface in our homes and taking our clothes off at the door etc? Then we found out that it simply doesn't transmit that way.https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00251-4 It is more often spread in very close contact with individuals...and more likely over a period of time then just sitting next to someone outside. More likely in a home setting where you are living next to someone who has interacted very closely with someone else whether at school, work, or public tranportation etc. Even if there is spread at the stadium then maybe a few people would spread to a a person directly next to them (but not whole sections of people) ...but given the vaccination rates etc it will be hard to determine because if people aren't becoming ill and aren't getting tested then we really don't know the extent.

Edited by dgambill

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

and taking our clothes off at the door etc? 

Ex-wife #6 did this all the time.  Not because of Covid though.  It was mostly when we had a UPS delivery, and on nights I wasn't home and she ordered pizza.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Ex-wife #6 did this all the time.  Not because of Covid though.  It was mostly when we had a UPS delivery, and on nights I wasn't home and she ordered pizza.

LOL :rollinglaugh:  To be fair...now days there are a lot of women "going to work" from home that never put on any clothes to begin with.....or removing them IS their job lol.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

LOL :rollinglaugh:  To be fair...now days there are a lot of women "going to work" from home that never put on any clothes to begin with.....or removing them IS their job lol.

Sometimes I wish when I asked @HoosierFaithfulto add a laughing on the floor emoji I sent to him, I wish we could have made it normal size! Oh well, maybe it adds to the effect!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Help support “college students”….visit your local strip club today.

True story. I knew a girl across our college apartment balcony that needed a ride to work. Her car broke down. She was cute but honestly I liked her roommate so I offered to give her a ride to work. She told me where to go and I was shocked when we arrived at a strip club. Super nice girl. Just paying for college. I do remember she had no problem paying for her car to get fixed the next day 😂 

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

Just now, mrflynn03 said:

Scores?

It was in Evansville. Today it’s called the Pony…20 years ago it was something different. I’m getting old and can’t remember the name of every strip club I frequented in college though.🤪 just kidding I got drug to a couple but I never had much money to waste on that back then. I remember sitting at the stage to stuff a few dollars a dance…remember you got bothered to buy drinks and private dances less as opposed to at the tables further back. Also it helped to bring a girl with you and have her sit on your lap…the dancers left you alone then too. At least at low level clubs that I ventured to.

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It was in Evansville. Today it’s called the Pony…20 years ago it was something different. I’m getting old and can’t remember the name of every strip club I frequented in college though.🤪 just kidding I got drug to a couple but I never had much money to waste on that back then. I remember sitting at the stage to stuff a few dollars a dance…remember you got bothered to buy drinks and private dances less as opposed to at the tables further back. Also it helped to bring a girl with you and have her sit on your lap…the dancers left you alone then too. At least at low level clubs that I ventured to.

I went to USI too. Graduated 2008. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I went to USI too. Graduated 2008. 

2001. It was the club just off Green River Rd. I don’t think it was called The Pony back then but like I said…been a long long time. I do remember my roommate brought a girl home from there. Told her he had weed. They ended up dating for a couple months. A year later she got sent away I think because she drove the getaway car for her new boyfriend who ended up murdering someone. Yikes!

• Like 1

Just now, dgambill said:

2001. It was the club just off Green River Rd. I don’t think it was called The Pony back then but like I said…been a long long time. I do remember my roommate brought a girl home from there. Told her he had weed. They ended up dating for a couple months. A year later she got sent away I think because she drove the getaway car for her new boyfriend who ended up murdering someone. Yikes!

Ha. Was called Stephanie's cabaret when I was the. A very low rent place. 

51 minutes ago, dgambill said:

True story. I knew a girl across our college apartment balcony that needed a ride to work. Her car broke down. She was cute but honestly I liked her roommate so I offered to give her a ride to work. She told me where to go and I was shocked when we arrived at a strip club. Super nice girl. Just paying for college. I do remember she had no problem paying for her car to get fixed the next day 😂 

Bet she paid the bill in singles. :coffee: 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Bet she paid the bill in singles. :coffee: 

I don’t think I ever talked to her much After that…I was so shy when I first got to college…I didn’t even know that was really a thing people did. Just thought only desperate people did that…not some girl in my English class lol. 

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Found her…Michelle…man I couldn’t believe my roommate dated her. Once he stopped smoking weed and started to go to class she was gone lol…

https://www.14news.com/story/1143534/stefanie-silvey-investigates-the-erick-schmitt-murder-case/