Coronavirus

Reacher

Sorry to hear about all these illnesses. 

I had to take my daughter in to get tested on Friday (2nd time since school started) because she had a fever, headache and was stuffed up. Thankfully her results were negative (again) and she recovered over the weekend. Back at it today. 

I have a feeling this fall/winter may be rough for non-covid illnesses like the flu and colds. Especially because they become that more annoying knowing we need to go through all these testing/quarantining protocols to make sure it's not the Rona.

...It's not that think that testing is unnecessary because I do. I don't want to be responsible for me or my kids spreading COVID. It's just annoying. So....yep...screw this virus. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Sorry to hear about all these illnesses. 

I had to take my daughter in to get tested on Friday (2nd time since school started) because she had a fever, headache and was stuffed up. Thankfully her results were negative (again) and she recovered over the weekend. Back at it today. 

I have a feeling this fall/winter may be rough for non-covid illnesses like the flu and colds. Especially because they become that more annoying knowing we need to go through all these testing/quarantining protocols to make sure it's not the Rona.

...It's not that think that testing is unnecessary because I do. I don't want to be responsible for me or my kids spreading COVID. It's just annoying. So....yep...screw this virus. 

I imagine we will see a whole host of virus/illnesses increase this year. One of my wife's coworkers tested positive for both flu & covid.  With everyone kind of masking, distancing, quarantining, hiding at home last year I imagine with things opened up and most vaccinated people are going to feel safer this winter and spread a whole host of OTHER germs/viruses. Stuff we usually get every year but with a year off for the most part our bodies might not recognize it or be prepared to fight it as quickly as when we were being re-introduced to it over and over in years past. We will see. I just know 2020-2021 I was probably the healthiest sickness wise in recent memory. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Wife is positive and I am negative although we all (including the nurse that called us) feel like I'm just a day behind her, since her headaches started Thursday evening and mine started Friday evening.  We were both full vaccinated (Pfizer) by the end of March, so we are officially "breakthrough" cases.

So, we'll be spending the week isolated.  Thus far, the symptoms are headaches, many trips to the bathroom and some occasional nausea that is relieved by (oddly enough) belching.  Based on how my unvaccinated friends have fared with COVID, I will say that our symptoms, thus far at least, are very mild in comparison.  I just knew by last night that something was definitely "off" and when my wife said this morning that she'd already made three trips to the bathroom and felt like neither of us should go to church, I told her I'd already came to the same conclusion.

Timing is terrible...my company has a big cookout at the park scheduled for Friday with roughly 100 RSVPs and my wife's family reunion is next Sunday so we'll be missing all of that.  Also have to reschedule all appointments for the week and I'll have to sneak back into the office Thursday night to do payroll.  I've got all the vaccination/booster/natural immunity questions rolling around in my head as well.  The nurse told us that we didn't qualify for the monoclonal antibody infusion (no significant risk factors).

This too shall pass, but right now, I'm mostly annoyed by all the inconvenience.

Hopefully you guys will join the millions and millions of others who will be just fine. Curious though on one thing. I have acid reflux. When did the belching become an issue where you said enough is enough? I don't have the other symptoms you described just curious when you said let's go get tested. 

I have 2 big back to back weekends coming up for work and fun (Sparty/Ohio St home games) and I honestly feel like I should just go get tested to make sure I'm not spreading this stuff around because I've just been off lately. My miles on the Monon aren't as strong. Sleeping a tad more. Knowing me I'll avoid one C but get the other C...

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Hopefully you guys will join the millions and millions of others who will be just fine. Curious though on one thing. I have acid reflux. When did the belching become an issue where you said enough is enough? I don't have the other symptoms you described just curious when you said let's go get tested. 

I have 2 big back to back weekends coming up for work and fun (Sparty/Ohio St home games) and I honestly feel like I should just go get tested to make sure I'm not spreading this stuff around because I've just been off lately. My miles on the Monon aren't as strong. Sleeping a tad more. Knowing me I'll avoid one C but get the other C...

The headache that wouldn't go away was probably the biggest trigger.  The nausea/belching came later.  I started with a headache Friday night and when I still had it Saturday night and also showed some GI distress, and then had a poor night sleeping, I decided first thing Sunday morning I was going to get tested. I think the belching is just a reaction to gas building up in the GI tract as a result of this bug.  By itself, that wouldn't have triggered me unless it was pretty severe and out of character.  After the persistent headache, the nausea and a condition much like dysentery came next, with the belching only serving as a relief valve.

I have acid reflux as well although it's well controlled by OTC Prilosec.

• Like 1

This makes me sick-

Looks like the FDA and CDC are on the Pfizer payroll. Assuming this is true, and I'm no scientist, but other reports say is is the same class of drug, how many lives were lost as a result? Ivermectin was censored and banned so Pfizer could make more $. This country is so corrupt.  BTW, 2 Federal reserve officials just resigned because they were trading stocks, they ostensibly had influence over.  Utter lack of ethics everywhere you look.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

This makes me sick-

Looks like the FDA and CDC are on the Pfizer payroll. Assuming this is true, and I'm no scientist, but other reports say is is the same class of drug, how many lives were lost as a result? Ivermectin was censored and banned so Pfizer could make more $. This country is so corrupt.  BTW, 2 Federal reserve officials just resigned because they were trading stocks, they ostensibly had influence over.  Utter lack of ethics everywhere you look.

While having some similarities these drugs are not the same. I see nothing wrong with isolating and taking what possibly Ivermectin does well as an anti-viral and targeting and improving on it. We all know lots of drugs that are chemically similar but even small changes would change them radically. While I know there is a lot of disgusting back office dealing in Washington and I have no disillusions these big pharma companies will maximize this opportunity to make money I've seen no evidence this is in fact a copy cat drug.

• Thanks 1

I know in the past I’ve not held a lot of athletes in high regard but I give respect to this young man who is in a difficult position based on the pressure from his employer but respect his thoughtful, respectful, reasonable, calm response. Much respect for Jonathan Isaac.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, dgambill said:

While having some similarities these drugs are not the same. I see nothing wrong with isolating and taking what possibly Ivermectin does well as an anti-viral and targeting and improving on it. We all know lots of drugs that are chemically similar but even small changes would change them radically. While I know there is a lot of disgusting back office dealing in Washington and I have no disillusions these big pharma companies will maximize this opportunity to make money I've seen no evidence this is in fact a copy cat drug.

Not saying this is happening in this case but take Tylenol for example.  They hold the patent on the chemical structure for Tylenol. But the patent eventually expires and it opened up to generics. 

In order to keep renewing patents for Tylenol they will alter the chemical structure of an inactive ingredient enough or maybe use a different binder.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reacher said:

This makes me sick-

Sorry, but this isn't exactly a reputable news source...?

1030205311_ScreenShot2021-09-28at11_35_52AM.png.fbda241d3262742ad2cc24d555e4f15f.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Not saying this is happening in this case but take Tylenol for example.  They hold the patent on the chemical structure for Tylenol. But the patent eventually expires and it opened up to generics. 

In order to keep renewing patents for Tylenol they will alter the chemical structure of an inactive ingredient enough or maybe use a different binder.  

Everything that I've read suggests they aren't even that close in how they work. Trust me...I don't trust big pharma anymore than probably you do but I am open if someone wants to produce evidence the drugs are chemically the same (minus any inactive ingrediants). This drug targets to disrupt the virus from reproducing by effecting its RNA inside it (basically scrambling it) while Ivermectin's ant-viral properties have to do with how it prevents the virus from bonding with the bodies cells basically keeping the virus from merging and entering the nucleus. These work totally different. I'm not sure even what chemical similarities there are. We will see how it works. Honestly what would be the point of recreating Ivermectin. We all know it's effectiveness ranges from none to limited. It certainly isn't the cure. Why spend money repackaging and putting it out there to have no cure. And do they really think someone wouldn't investigate it's properties and discover if it is exactly alike and expose them? The risk would GREATLY outweigh any limited benefits from this additional drug. It would be incredibly stupid and naive to think they could get away with it. Not in this current climate. Who knows if it even works...but it's going to have to show more effectiveness and results than Ivermectin for poor countries to sign on for buying it....they'll just choose the cheaper option.

Also what patent on Tylenol is there....I get Walmart brand Acetaminophen for like a couple bucks? Maybe I misunderstand that?

Edited by dgambill

4 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

1030205311_ScreenShot2021-09-28at11_35_52AM.png.fbda241d3262742ad2cc24d555e4f15f.png

I may be more willing to hear out her reasoning on that one...the drug one has no credible information to show how they are the same. If there is chemist that can show how they are exactly alike or even almost exactly alike I'll happily listen. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I know in the past I’ve not held a lot of athletes in high regard but I give respect to this young man who is in a difficult position based on the pressure from his employer but respect his thoughtful, respectful, reasonable, calm response. Much respect for Jonathan Isaac.

Normally, I'd listen for a minute and then move on, but I listened to the entire interview after being hooked by his first answer.  I know virtually nothing about Jonathan Isaac and I doubt I've ever even seen him play, but that is surely one of the more thoughtful and articulate interviews I've ever heard from a professional athlete.  Agree...much respect for him here.  I hope at some point, the NBA rethinks mandating vaccines and at least allows people who believe they've already had COVID to take antibody tests for vaccine exemptions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Phenomenal poise and composure. Kudos to this young man.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I get your skepticism here based on the whole, but this profile is not wrong about the AR-15.  AR stands for Armalite, which was the original manufacturer.  "Assault Rifle" was a name given to it later, likely from someone who didn't like guns in general, but that's another debate for a different thread.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Normally, I'd listen for a minute and then move on, but I listened to the entire interview after being hooked by his first answer.  I know virtually nothing about Jonathan Isaac and I doubt I've ever even seen him play, but that is surely one of the more thoughtful and articulate interviews I've ever heard from a professional athlete.  Agree...much respect for him here.  I hope at some point, the NBA rethinks mandating vaccines and at least allows people who believe they've already had COVID to take antibody tests for vaccine exemptions.

I've followed him quite a bit (him playing in Florida etc). Kid is a great young man. Does a lot of work in the community. Yes he is pretty religious so some might take issue with where he stands on some things but mostly he is thoughtful and caring...even when his views oppose someone else's he tries to be as sympathetic, thoughtful, and caring as he can but holds his ground on his convictions. He also received some pretty big attention for being the lone NBA player to stand during the national anthem last year in the bubble. You can check out that stuff pretty easily by googling on him a little bit. I don't want to side-rail this thread with that one but clearly this young man is no stranger to independent thought, reasoned thought, and like you said articulate his opinions in a sincere way. Anyways I just appreciate how he did it and wish no matter which side people come down on we could all discuss it in such a respectful and thoughtful manner.

• Like 1