Coronavirus

Reacher

1 hour ago, RoadToZion said:

At my company, we are now having the issue of employees finding out that they will still get paid if they have covid. Once one guy had it and we told him he would be paid, chatter made its way around the company and now every week someone new is “sick”. We are a small family business and have survived through this entire thing, now people are taking advantage of us being nice and giving them pay while they are “sick”. 

We have to believe that they really are sick, but we know they aren’t. Not much we can do though. We shouldn’t have been nice from the start and payed the guys. I’m so ready for this entire thing to be over with. 

This scenario is playing out plenty of places. I know people want to blame the unemployment $ for issues with staffing...and to a degree it's part of it....but there is also a large number of people who have chosen to manipulate or bend the system too.

Illinois isn't the best example to use but my sister's employer has said if you even have a cough stay home. About 90% of the staff has had a cough since March 17th, 2020....all the while being paid. 

To your point. Being nice upfront does have it's disadvantages. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RoadToZion said:

At my company, we are now having the issue of employees finding out that they will still get paid if they have covid. Once one guy had it and we told him he would be paid, chatter made its way around the company and now every week someone new is “sick”. We are a small family business and have survived through this entire thing, now people are taking advantage of us being nice and giving them pay while they are “sick”. 

We have to believe that they really are sick, but we know they aren’t. Not much we can do though. We shouldn’t have been nice from the start and payed the guys. I’m so ready for this entire thing to be over with. 

City of Indianapolis set a June 1st date that they would no longer cover covid sickness and it would now burn days out of personal sick banks.  You may have to set a date out in the near future, especially with holidays and now fall break.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

That is a big issue that is not getting much attention. I'm not sure if it is everywhere, but I believe employers are legally required to pay employees for staying home with Covid. My wife was very concerned she would  be liable for an employee that got Covid, even if not from the workplace, and due to quarantining, have to shut down for a week. 

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

That is a big issue that is not getting much attention. I'm not sure if it is everywhere, but I believe employers are legally required to pay employees for staying home with Covid. My wife was very concerned she would  be liable for an employee that got Covid, even if not from the workplace, and due to quarantining, have to shut down for a week. 

My previous employer would give the time off but didn't pay you for it.  So it may depend on what state one is in.  If you wanted paid you had to use vacation.

As soon as I received my stimulus check last year I got "sick" and had 8 days off.  I let Uncle Sam pay for my time off and saved all my vacation days.

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

My previous employer would give the time off but didn't pay you for it.  So it may depend on what state one is in.  If you wanted paid you had to use vacation.

As soon as I received my stimulus check last year I got "sick" and had 8 days off.  I let Uncle Sam pay for my time off and saved all my vacation days.

Honestly, good for you dude - we have ridiculously backwards standards for work/life balance in this country. I wish we didn’t have to bend the rules to balance it more, but sometimes the ends justify the means. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Honestly, good for you dude - we have ridiculously backwards standards for work/life balance in this country. I wish we didn’t have to bend the rules to balance it more, but sometimes the ends justify the means. 

I completely agree and it was a much needed break. 

I think there is a large segment of this population that values money over time, especially the ones that profit the most off of the time they dont have to put in. 

I think that is at least 3 countries now. I believe the main concern is myocarditis in men. I'm worried now because I had Moderna. 

Anybody that has seen this recently should check it out-

https://vaersanalysis.info/2021/10/08/vaers-summary-for-covid-19-vaccines-through-10-1-2021/

Keep in mind, there are likely many more events that have not been reported and all reports may not be fully accurate 

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 1

https://www.tampabay.com/news/tampa/2021/10/09/southwest-cancels-flights-across-florida-including-tampa-international/

@IUFLA are you hearing that this was due to a mass sickout of air traffic controllers and not "bad weather" ? That is what Twitter is saying.

First the nurses and now it looks like pilots could be next. Apparently there are concerns that vaccine side effects could impact their flying. 

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I think that is at least 3 countries now. I believe the main concern is myocarditis in men. I'm worried now because I had Moderna. 

Anybody that has seen this recently should check it out-

https://vaersanalysis.info/2021/10/08/vaers-summary-for-covid-19-vaccines-through-10-1-2021/

Keep in mind, there are likely many more events that have not been reported and all reports may not be fully accurate 

I honestly don't know what to think.  I work at a place that produces the Moderna vaccine.  They set aside enough doses to vaccinate all employees.  I haven't taken it and don't plan to.  I've heard that some ended up in the hospital after getting vaccinated, related to that or not I really don't know.

What I do know is not one person in my group is willing to get another shot because they felt so badly after the first 2 doses.  So good luck getting people to take the booster shots.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/tampa/2021/10/09/southwest-cancels-flights-across-florida-including-tampa-international/

@IUFLA are you hearing that this was due to a mass sickout of air traffic controllers and not "bad weather" ? That is what Twitter is saying.

First the nurses and now it looks like pilots could be next. Apparently there are concerns that vaccine side effects could impact their flying. 

I had a friend (retired USAF ATCer like me) ask me the same thing last night via text...

I haven't heard anything like that. 

Did see this article this morning...

"A representative for the Federal Aviation Administration told Action News Jax, “Due to a combination of severe weather, active military training in the airspace, and unexpected limited staff at the Jacksonville facility that handles high-altitude, en route traffic, the FAA took steps to safely manage air traffic the evening of Oct. 8. Normal operations returned at approximately 10 p.m.”

That could mean ZJX ARTCC went ATC limited, which they would do if they were short staffed...but I haven't heard anything about a "sickout" or any other reason for staff issues...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here in Indiana, a few hospitals have received help from the National Guard.  At this time none of the hospitals accepting help from the Gaurd have fired employees over a vaccine mandate, however St Vincent has a November deadline. 

Are any other states Guard doing this? 

If St Vincent fires its heroes in November when their mandate goes in effect, will you have a problem with them accepting help from the Guard on the tax payers dime.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 1

I will also say this without trying to be political at all...

If there was any kind of sickout, it was probably done without the backing of the controllers' union, NATCA...They pretty much always lean in with Democrats and had already endorsed the mandate and encouraged people to get the shot(s)...

That said, there's a large contingent of controllers that aren't dues paying members of NATCA, but they still receive NATCA's backing on issues with management...

Be interesting to hear how those internal talks are going...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Well, well, well...

Click on the link to the tweet, then "show this thread" at the bottom...Southwest got some 'splainin; to do...

I thought that might be the case since none of the other airlines are beeyotching about it...

Yeah this is a bad look for Southwest, especially with United, Delta and Jet Blue having no problems.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Well, well, well...

Click on the link to the tweet, then "show this thread" at the bottom...Southwest got some 'splainin; to do...

I thought that might be the case since none of the other airlines are beeyotching about it...

At quick glance, the Southwest issue appears to be linked to a pilot walkout of a mandatory vax push. Is that your take as well?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Inequality said:

At quick glance, the Southwest issue appears to be linked to a pilot walkout of a mandatory vax push. Is that your take as well?

That's what I'm thinking too...

Delays in the system Friday night aren't going to throw their pilot/crew schedule off that badly...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

So when will there be vaccine mandates for welfare recipients?  My tax dollars help pay for them to sit on their ass after all. 

People should ask those opposed to employer mandates what their reasons are to understand why. That one in particular sticks in my craw. 

Preach it AMEN Brother !

There is a mandate coming, that was already pretty emphatically stated a couple hundred years ago.

Now, everyone go forward and live and let live. Love and let love.

• Like 2